• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

free agency thread 2018

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reality check..

Cousins on a long term deal SHOULD cost around $20M against the cap in 2018.. thats giving him a deal slightly higher than what Stafford got. (Stafford had a $16M cap number this year)

So with $34M in cap space, what free agents WONT we be able to sign??

And the problem with Bruce drafting a QB is simply this... The guys that FIT our offense, will likely require a trade up unless you really think Mayfield is a day one starter. Also that the types of QB Bruce will likely be looking at (Jackson) dont fit our offense, but he will sell some jerseys.

Add something else to the mix - I highly doubt that they will have the same injury issues next season. If they do then it will be tough regardless & you can't plan on having an infinite amt of backups (in spite of the ramblings of a certain Steelers troll).

With just a little better health, Cousins on a long term deal, a good draft & some sensible FA moves the team should be in pretty decent shape & should have something to build on. The follow up question is will the powers that be fuck it up somehow & not let it even get to that pt.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add something else to the mix - I highly doubt that they will have the same injury issues next season. If they do then it will be tough regardless & you can't plan on having an infinite amt of backups (in spite of the ramblings of a certain Steelers troll).

With just a little better health, Cousins on a long term deal, a good draft & some sensible FA moves the team should be in pretty decent shape & should have something to build on. The follow up question is will the powers that be fuck it up somehow & not let it even get to that pt.

I think the question is, how will the powers that be fuck this up. OH ME of little faith. :suds:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you alll are looking at it all wrong what is are win vs loss record under allen and what is are win and loss record under cerrto .. i think cerroto teams won more games

Take out the Gibbs years and you have the same thing. Please don't tell me you think Vinny was a good idea.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take out the Gibbs years and you have the same thing. Please don't tell me you think Vinny was a good idea.

We sucked under Vinny... but the off season was exciting.

Vinny = Winning off the field 1.0

Bruce = Vinny 2.0

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Saw it. Just brought to mind two questions. Well to be honest I have had tese two questions for a while, but the article just makes me ask them again.

1. How many people outside of DC have to come out and say Cousins is a franchise QB and hint that Washington would be crazy to not resign him?

2. Will the front office and fan base in DC finally come to this realization??

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A comment in the article to think about "The last time we saw a quarterback as productive as Cousins hit the market before turning 30 was when Drew Brees left the Chargers after the 2005 season. Even then, though, Brees was coming off a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder" .... that is a mouthful especially considering Cousins (at this point) doesn't have an injury like that to worry about.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A comment in the article to think about "The last time we saw a quarterback as productive as Cousins hit the market before turning 30 was when Drew Brees left the Chargers after the 2005 season. Even then, though, Brees was coming off a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder" .... that is a mouthful especially considering Cousins (at this point) doesn't have an injury like that to worry about.
11071992.jpg

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it. Just brought to mind two questions. Well to be honest I have had tese two questions for a while, but the article just makes me ask them again.

1. How many people outside of DC have to come out and say Cousins is a franchise QB and hint that Washington would be crazy to not resign him?

1. Let's say everyone is saying that, even calling him "Elite" Franchise" "Top 1-5" or whatever.

2. This is the question that needs to be answered, minus the fan base because they would be included in the everyone from #1 above. That answer is NO.

Unfortunately, there have been too many hanging onto hope based upon what Dan and Bruce "should" "must" or "have" to do regarding Kirk.

Well, the facts say otherwise, we are in the 3rd year (4th depending on perspective) of going through this BS. There have been several thousand "must," "should" and "have" to do posts, on this site alone. Across the country you can find people say the same sort of things and the results are the same. Nice topic of conversation, but I wonder at times, how many more times will folks do the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

I was convinced two years ago that there's no intention to sign Kirk long term and because of that, teetered on the outskirts from being voted into the ABC club. That was fun but it didn't change the fact the thru that entire time frame Kirk remained unsigned LT.

There's an old Proverb that has served me well when the topic is this football team (and life) that goes, "Hope for the best and prepare for the worse." Unlike some here, who have again set themselves up for what I believe to be another in a extremely long line of disappointments regarding the same, I am prepared for the worse, in fact, I've come to expect it. If as expected Dan and Bruce live down to those expectations, there will be thousands upon thousands of posts here and commentary across the country viscerally responding to that BS. Guess who won't be?

BTW: if they sign him.....Good.

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Belichick might be the top free agent this March.

Can he also be the GM, owner, water boy and 30 other jobs to make our team get on track please.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he leaves this summer, I could see Giants. Great defense, top 3 WR, and Rosen.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offer him our GM position

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope they kick the tires on Arizona Cardinals WR John Brown. Dude can fly. Won't break the bank and doesn't have Landry's baggage.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John had a 2.1 catch per game average this year. :noidea:

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he had a down year, but Stanton and Gabbert.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I have stated several times here - yes perhaps the FO needs to come up to speed, but the overwhelming majority of the fanbase believes that Cousins needs to be signed. Don't let the very few naysayers on this forum make it appear otherwise (& there are several here who actually back Cousins yet you always appear to portray them otherwise).

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - again - having some doubts about Cousins or saying that he has flaws doesn't necessarily make someone a Cousins hater nor indicate that someone doesn't believe that he should not be re-signed. I have my doubts but really believe that he needs to be extended.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have stated several times here - yes perhaps the FO needs to come up to speed, but the overwhelming majority of the fanbase believes that Cousins needs to be signed. Don't let the very few naysayers on this forum make it appear otherwise (& there are several here who actually back Cousins yet you always appear to portray them otherwise).

I base my opinion of the fan base off of more than just posters on this forum. There are many forums, and there is a rather large group of the fan base that feels we should move away from Cousins. The majority of these folks have felt that way from the moment he was made the starter.

I dont think I would be OK with them resigning Cousins is a ringing endorsement. What I see is three groups.

1. We should resign Cousins because he is a good QB and it would be best for the team.

2. We would be OK with signing Cousins, but at that price, we would be better off drafting a rookie because Cousins was just mediocre

3. Cousins would wreck the cap, we shouldnt pay him elite money because he isnt elite and is just a product of the system.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Le'Veon Bell Says He Might Retire, Sit Out Season If Steelers Use Franchise Tag
JOSEPH ZUCKERJANUARY 11, 2018

hi-res-1aa14667871e56072858eb188de5d43f_crop_north.jpg

Michael Wyke/Associated Press
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell is apparently prepared to play hardball with his current team as he seeks a new long-term contract this offseason.

According to ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler, Bell said Thursday he "would definitely consider" sitting out the 2018 season or retiring if the Steelers use the franchise tag on him for a second straight season.

This article will be updated to provide more information on this story as it becomes available.

Get the best sports content from the web and social in the new B/R app. Get the app and get the game.

Never been an advocate of spending big in FA to get a back, and the draft is loaded with guys who I think could really help us, but if Kirk could sign a LTD and convince his college buddy to come join us, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.