• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency, 2024

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a new league year and the new FA crop is about to get harvested.

The Niners won't be all that active in FA, but I though we needed a FA thread rather than putting everything in the Off Season thread.

For the Niners the big question is whether we will extend BA, let him play out the last year of his deal or trade him.

The team asked AA to take a paycut, he refused, so he is expected to be released. That'll allow Hargrave to move over to his spot so we can put a true run stopper in the middle next to him.

The team has reportedly approached Juice about taking a paycut. Honestly he needs to take a paycut. He's due 5.75M in salary this year and has a cap number north of 7M. That is a ton for a FB. We'll see if he takes a paycut of if he ends up getting cut. If he says no, his days as a Niner might come to an end.

Niners are also bringing in S Rashawn Jenkins from the Jags for a visit. With Gipson being a FA and Hufanga coming off a torn ACL, it makes sense that we'd look at a vet safety.

Well, which FAs do yo uthink the team should resign or sign?

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am hoping they sign Danielle Hunter. I don't know what they can afford after that. Is it sufficient to put DJ Jones next to Hargrave? I don't know if they can afford Grover Stewart. Or do they need to draft Jer'Zhan Newton? I was thinking Round 1 pick would be OL, but they have to replace AA. And I really don't know if they value OL enough to kick it up talent wise. I could easily see them return with Brendel-Feliciano-McKivitz.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is BA a must-resign player? Would he be harder to replace than Deebo?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was the niners blocking TE last year. Yet the Falcons paid him 4M/yr?

Well, we drafted Latu for a reason last year. Let's just hope he doesn't suck as much as he did in TC...

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners sign Edge L.Floyd for 2 years, 20M deal. A very good signing imo. He's averaged 9-10 sacks per season the last 4 years.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is BA a must-resign player? Would he be harder to replace than Deebo?
Aiyuk is probably easier to replace in the draft, as Deebo is a bit unique. Watching the Rams nab Kupp and Nacua Puka in later rounds tells me a good GM does not need premium picks to draft a tough, route running technician with good hands.

Having said that, I would extend BA and make him the centerpiece going forward. Deebo's productivity is a much shorter timeline.

I expect Kittle to decline as he moves into his 30's, and Deebo is 28 with nagging injuries.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinlaw signing with the Jets. He and solomon thomas can talk about what it's like to be a first round bust.

Darnold signing with the Vikings. He might get to start there. I think the Viking fans will miss Cousins quickly. I do wonder what we're gonna do at backup QB. Is it going to be B.Allen?

C.Ferrell signing with the Commanders. Solid signing for the Commies. I'm sorry to lose him. He was very good against the run.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinlaw signing with the Jets. He and solomon thomas can talk about what it's like to be a first round bust.

Darnold signing with the Vikings. He might get to start there. I think the Viking fans will miss Cousins quickly. I do wonder what we're gonna do at backup QB. Is it going to be B.Allen?

C.Ferrell signing with the Commanders. Solid signing for the Commies. I'm sorry to lose him. He was very good against the run.
for san fran,s sake,I hope young leaves too.the laziest player I ever saw,

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners resigned S/ST George Odom to a 2 year deal.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edge Chase Young going visiting with the Saints, Panthers, Titans, and Texans. I don't expect him to sign a big contract no matter where he signs. He didn't exactly put out great tape when he was with the Niners, but his youth and his "potential" might still get him a heavier than expected payday.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Dieter Kurtenbach (I would recommend). He is pretty adamant that Leonard Floyd was a mistake, and I have to say he made a compelling argument. He logically points to how the Bills used him - as a rotation piece (577 snaps), not an every down guy he was with Bears and Rams. This could be due to his age. But here is the point: Leonard Floyd's productivity faded quickly last season. He only had ONE! sack and 12 tackles in the last EIGHT games, and he was absolutely invisible in the Bills AFCCG against the Kansas City Chiefs. He had one sack after Thanksgiving. Nearly 40% of his 10.5 sacks were against the NY Jets, five more were compiled against JAX, NYG and WDC. He didn't even have a tackle in the AFCCG.

I heard a rule of thumb for pass rusher contracts: $1.5 million per sack. Using that formula, Floyd should have commanded $15MM/year. Either Floyd's agent gave Paraag Marathe a sweetheart, "Brandon Staley" deal, or the League didn't see the value in Floyd. Maybe you can argue that financially, it was too good of a deal to pass up, but that isn't the measure of success. As we have all learned the very painful lesson, it only "measure" that matters is what you provide against the best of the best, at the end of the season.

Nobody really knows what to expect Yetur Gross-Matos. His contract was largely a projection and peculiar to recent Kocurek projects:

Arden Key - 1 year, $1.045 million
Jordan Willis 1.0 - 1 year, $1.1 million
Jordan Willis 2.0 - 1 year, $970,000
Kerry Hyder 1.0 - 1 year, $1.5 million
Kerry Hyder 2.0 - 1 year, $1.5 million
Clelin Ferrell - 1 year, $2.46 million
*Charles Omenihu (acquired by trade, not FA) - 1 year, $3.75 million
**Samson Ebukam - 3 year, $24 million
Yetur Gross-Matos - 2 year, $18 million
Leonard Floyd - 2 year $20 million

BOTTOM LINE: Floyd and YGM are roughly perceived as the equivalent of Samson Ebukam. Ebukam was a nice player, but not the impact, push for the Lombardi Trophy player that could have been acquired by signing Danielle Hunter. Hunter would give you exceptional snaps on first and second downs, and still provide as many or more pass rush sacks than Floyd + YGM.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Dieter Kurtenbach (I would recommend). He is pretty adamant that Leonard Floyd was a mistake, and I have to say he made a compelling argument. He logically points to how the Bills used him - as a rotation piece (577 snaps), not an every down guy he was with Bears and Rams. This could be due to his age. But here is the point: Leonard Floyd's productivity faded quickly last season. He only had ONE! sack and 12 tackles in the last EIGHT games, and he was absolutely invisible in the Bills AFCCG against the Kansas City Chiefs. He had one sack after Thanksgiving. Nearly 40% of his 10.5 sacks were against the NY Jets, five more were compiled against JAX, NYG and WDC. He didn't even have a tackle in the AFCCG.

I heard a rule of thumb for pass rusher contracts: $1.5 million per sack. Using that formula, Floyd should have commanded $15MM/year. Either Floyd's agent gave Paraag Marathe a sweetheart, "Brandon Staley" deal, or the League didn't see the value in Floyd. Maybe you can argue that financially, it was too good of a deal to pass up, but that isn't the measure of success. As we have all learned the very painful lesson, it only "measure" that matters is what you provide against the best of the best, at the end of the season.

Nobody really knows what to expect Yetur Gross-Matos. His contract was largely a projection and peculiar to recent Kocurek projects:

Arden Key - 1 year, $1.045 million
Jordan Willis 1.0 - 1 year, $1.1 million
Jordan Willis 2.0 - 1 year, $970,000
Kerry Hyder 1.0 - 1 year, $1.5 million
Kerry Hyder 2.0 - 1 year, $1.5 million
Clelin Ferrell - 1 year, $2.46 million
*Charles Omenihu (acquired by trade, not FA) - 1 year, $3.75 million
**Samson Ebukam - 3 year, $24 million
Yetur Gross-Matos - 2 year, $18 million
Leonard Floyd - 2 year $20 million

BOTTOM LINE: Floyd and YGM are roughly perceived as the equivalent of Samson Ebukam. Ebukam was a nice player, but not the impact, push for the Lombardi Trophy player that could have been acquired by signing Danielle Hunter. Hunter would give you exceptional snaps on first and second downs, and still provide as many or more pass rush sacks than Floyd + YGM.
I saw reports that Hunter wants 30M/yr. That could be a reason he's still unemployed.