• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Browns @ Seahawks: Week 8

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see...

I've mentioned DK (mostly at this point because he seems to be toxic).... Frank Clark after one week (still stand by it but let's not pretend he's a band-aid due to an injury), Taylor but might as well keep him for now....... hmm... oh DeeJay Dallas I've mentioned... hmmm....... help me out here flyer.. uh... hmmm... uhhh.... I've mentioned Geno isn't the answer but have never mentioned getting rid of him because that's the best we've got at the moment... uhhh... hmmm...

So a few players (one of which we just signed and is a band-aid?)... c'mon bro, you're better than this.

Well I was being mostly facetious but you are constantly ranting about players. It's kind of your thing.

You want to get rid of Frank Clark after a handful of snaps after we signed him 5 days ago.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I was being mostly facetious but you are constantly ranting about players. It's kind of your thing.

You want to get rid of Frank Clark after a handful of snaps after we signed him 5 days ago.

Again, outside of who I mentioned, who am I constantly ranting about or are you just making stuff up?

If you go search the forum, I never wanted Clark to begin with. Yes we got the injury so I didn't expect much this game, but he IMO allowed a TD on his own with how he played. That's whatever because he just came into a new team... that said, you make it seem like I want half the roster gone and that I routinely talk about getting rid of players on this team? I'm calling bullshit on that, prove me otherwise.

Last edited:

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably going to be a lot of 2 TE sets on Sunday for us.
I expected this too, but I don't think a TE caught a ball for us until somewhere in the 4th quarter and I believe that was the first time one was even targeted all game. Really odd, considering we have 3 decent TE's and Geno was struggling for 2 and half quarters to find WR's (after the first quarter). You'd have thought they would get the TE's involved, but nope. I'm glad they did finally because that's when they started actually moving the ball again with Fant.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like some of what I saw from Taylor yesterday at times. However, he did get too aggressive on the one read option and didn't maintain his edge assignment that allowed a big run by Walker on the scoring drive that put the Browns in front. At least, I think it was that drive. Correct me if I'm wrong. All in all though, he wasn't too bad and made a couple of nice plays including a nice sack late.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an old Canadian country band called the Good brothers that I'm sure most of you probably never heard of, but they were big up here in the 80's. Big hit was Fox on the Run. Anyway, another of their "hits" was a song called "Honk on Bobo" and I think the Seahawks need to start playing it during warm ups. Or the crowd should sing it whenever Bobo makes a big play. :thumb:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did like some of what I saw from Taylor yesterday at times. However, he did get too aggressive on the one read option and didn't maintain his edge assignment that allowed a big run by Walker on the scoring drive that put the Browns in front. At least, I think it was that drive. Correct me if I'm wrong. All in all though, he wasn't too bad and made a couple of nice plays including a nice sack late.

Taylor is just such a *sigh* player. Looks great at times, and then other times looks AWFUL. I feel most times it's awful but then there's a few plays where you're like, "OOOH wait a minute, did he get it!?" And then a few plays later you're like, "Eh, guess not." I think he's gone next year to be honest. Sucks we spent a 2nd rounder on him and he didn't turn out like Mafe.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are 1st in the division and would be the 2nd seed in the NFC if the playoffs started today. Who had that on their bingo card back in August? But with Baltimore, SF x 2, Dallas and Philly all coming up I fully expect our seeding to drop significantly, but it's fun for today.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are 1st in the division and would be the 2nd seed in the NFC if the playoffs started today. Who had that on their bingo card back in August? But with Baltimore, SF x 2, Dallas and Philly all coming up I fully expect our seeding to drop significantly, but it's fun for today.

The Hawks need to win 3 of those 5 games, IMO. If we can do that, I think we have a great chance to win the division.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought San Fran would still be leading, but 5-2 was not a surprise to me. I thought we'd lose the Lions/Bengals (which we did) game but beat the Rams before the season started started so there it is.

That said, that stretch you mentioned (49ers x2, Eagles, Cowboys) is really going to define the whole season. Ravens up next which could go either way but the Commanders I think we can handle. We SHOULD be going into that brutal stretch at 6-3...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought San Fran would still be leading, but 5-2 was not a surprise to me. I thought we'd lose the Lions/Bengals (which we did) game but beat the Rams before the season started started so there it is.

That said, that stretch you mentioned (49ers x2, Eagles, Cowboys) is really going to define the whole season. Ravens up next which could go either way but the Commanders I think we can handle. We SHOULD be going into that brutal stretch at 6-3...
Should be 7-3 going into Thanksgiving Thursday and that stretch. I doubt the Rams ambush us again. They are reeling and banged up like last year. Stafford has a thumb injury on his throwing hand, the Oline is struggling and the defense has fallen off. If, BIG IF, we could beat the Ravens, possibly 8-2 going into that stretch. Somehow pull off a win at home vs. the 9ers, all of a sudden there will be some serious talk. Need to at the very least, split the season series with the Niners, imo. We will see what happens with some of the other teams in the next few weeks and whether we get some things cleaned up but sitting in a good spot right now. We definitely need to stay/ get healthy and have a better final 6 weeks than last year.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected this too, but I don't think a TE caught a ball for us until somewhere in the 4th quarter and I believe that was the first time one was even targeted all game. Really odd, considering we have 3 decent TE's and Geno was struggling for 2 and half quarters to find WR's (after the first quarter). You'd have thought they would get the TE's involved, but nope. I'm glad they did finally because that's when they started actually moving the ball again with Fant.

Dissly has 1 target the last 4 games. 1! Fant has 7 in the same timeframe and Parkinson 8. The whole group has been target over 3 times in a game only once in last 4 games. I had to look it up to see if Dissly was even playing, cause you'd never know he was getting 50% of the snaps with how little he gets used right now.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One good and one bad about the defense.

The good. The Seahawks have not allowed a offensive TD in the 2nd half since week 3. That's very encouraging.
The bad. The Browns ran for 155 yards on 40 carries. The Browns didn't have a lot of big runs, biggest run was 12 yards. But 40 carries suggests a lot of 4 and 5 yard runs and not a ton of stuffs.

The bad isn't the end of the world though. 40 carries is a lot of carries. But a sub-4.0 YPC isn't terrible. IMO, that is part of the reason why they only scored 17. Their offense relied running and short passes.

That was the key on how to beat the Seahawks last year. If you could run the ball 40 times, the defense would collapse down the stretch and give up huge chunks of yards. Last year - 40 or more carries, Seattle was 0-5 in 18 games. 30 or more carries 1-9. It was nice to see the team stand up to that strategy and come away with the win.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the key on how to beat the Seahawks last year. If you could run the ball 40 times, the defense would collapse down the stretch and give up huge chunks of yards. Last year - 40 or more carries, Seattle was 0-5 in 18 games. 30 or more carries 1-9. It was nice to see the team stand up to that strategy and come away with the win.

Agreed. The run defense wasn't porous. They ran it 40 times but they weren't getting big gains at the end. In fact the defense was arguably better in the 4th.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. The run defense wasn't porous. They ran it 40 times but they weren't getting big gains at the end. In fact the defense was arguably better in the 4th.

If not for the 3rd down penalties, some of which were ticky tacky, I don't have much to complain about for the defense.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for the 3rd down penalties, some of which were ticky tacky, I don't have much to complain about for the defense.

The screen pass stuff is pretty frustrating.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The screen pass stuff is pretty frustrating.

Ok, yeah the screens were way too effective. Some weeks it looks like they've figured out how to snuff out a screen pass, then some weeks it looks like they've never seen one before.

Granted, there was one screen pass where the Browns set up three different screens and threw it to the one Seattle didn't cover. It was a pretty interesting play design.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One good and one bad about the defense.

The good. The Seahawks have not allowed a offensive TD in the 2nd half since week 3. That's very encouraging.
The bad. The Browns ran for 155 yards on 40 carries. The Browns didn't have a lot of big runs, biggest run was 12 yards. But 40 carries suggests a lot of 4 and 5 yard runs and not a ton of stuffs.

The bad isn't the end of the world though. 40 carries is a lot of carries. But a sub-4.0 YPC isn't terrible. IMO, that is part of the reason why they only scored 17. Their offense relied running and short passes.
Those 2 read option runs by Walker inflated that a little, imo. I think that 12 yarder you mentioned was one of them and he also had one for about 8, I think. On the long one, I think it was Taylor who bit way too hard inside and the door was wide open for an easy run. There were a few 4-5 yarders throughout the game but we had quite a few stuffs for short gains too. considering how much our boys were on the field, I think they held up pretty well.