• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andy Reid not the right coach for KC apparently.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I turned the game off to do other things about at halftime. I was shocked when I read the score in today's paper and genuinely laughed.

Fuck the Chefs.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GM went.

I could see the Chiefs firing Reid if he goes 1-and-done again. I get the criticisms. I just don't think he is fireable when you have a new QB coming in. The timing is wrong. The time to fire him was last year. Or in the future. Its not now.

ESPN is just running articles because Philly fanbase is paying attention to the playoffs and Chiefs fans are still paying attention.
It seems to me that they just didn't have any depth on offense, which I guess would be the GM. Almost the entire offense ran through 3 guys and when one of them got injured it just threw them off their game. I have no doubt that KC would have won if Kelce didn't get knocked out of the game. It didn't help that even guys like West and Wilson weren't really playing 100% healthy.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over .600 win percentage despite no HOF QB will play. I'll take my chances.
Oh I'm not saying you couldn't do a LOT worse. But I'm not placing any wagers he can win the big game either. His use of time outs and challenges are legendary.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my math is correct:

Chiefs are 11-1 in the past 2 years against the AFC West
Chiefs are 11-11 in the past 2 years outside of the AFC West

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moose

I'm a big Andy fan, even after he left. Here's some things that are a given with Andy

- he will surprise you and steal a game in the regular season he should lose
- he will botch clock management from now until the end of time
- he has fast starts and makes minimal halftime adjustments
- he simply doesn't know how to run a clock down with a lead using the run
- his teams will occasionally play down to the competition

Almost all of these were sent yesterday.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moose

I'm a big Andy fan, even after he left. Here's some things that are a given with Andy

- he will surprise you and steal a game in the regular season he should lose
- he will botch clock management from now until the end of time
- he has fast starts and makes minimal halftime adjustments
- he simply doesn't know how to run a clock down with a lead using the run
- his teams will occasionally play down to the competition

Some truth to this, but this Chiefs roster just wasn't that good and predominantly were in the playoffs because of Reid. Hard for me to get worked up about him. If I am seeing a functional defense and the same crap with this core on offense with Mahomes, then shit is going to start to fly. Until then, I don't see a rational reason to even consider firing Reid; especially when developing a prospect like Mahomes.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If my math is correct:

Chiefs are 11-1 in the past 2 years against the AFC West
Chiefs are 11-11 in the past 2 years outside of the AFC West
This year the division and conference really did the Chiefs a solid for the most part. Division looks very weak outside of LA.

Yam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moose

- he will surprise you and steal a game in the regular season he should lose (pats game season)
- he will botch clock management from now until the end of time (countless times, most famously vs the pats in the playoffs)
- he has fast starts and makes minimal halftime adjustments (game vs the Titans....their colts loss in the playoffs)
- he simply doesn't know how to run a clock down with a lead using the run (game vs the Titans)
- his teams will occasionally play down to the competition (game vs the Titans)

Everything i said was true. I've defended the guy for years but have watched his flaws for almost two decades.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a heck of a regular season coach but he's a terrible playoff coach. I expect the Chiefs let him go sometime this week.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Reid is a good coach but a chance at being a great coach is starting to pass him by.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is insane to me. The guy who is one of four legitimately innovative coaches in the NFL currently, has a team with Alex Smith carried into the playoffs despite the 32nd DVOA D, and I am supposed to be upset at him when he doesn't control personnel? We already are moving on from Alex. We are likely moving on from Sutton. This is not blind complicity like with Marvin whatsoever.

I would wager at least 25 coaches fail to do better than .500 with this Chiefs team.
agree. I'm not sure exactly what Reid did wrong here. I always thought he got a bad rap and think he is a very good coach

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN posted their top 10 coaching candidates for head coach in the NFL.

1. Jim Harbaugh: 95 points
i

Current job: Michigan Wolverines head coach
NFL experience: Former 49ers head coach (2011-14)

In Harbaugh's one NFL stop in San Francisco, he took over a 6-10 team and went 44-19 over the next four seasons -- which included a heartbreaking three-point loss in Super Bowl XLVII. Before that, he inherited a 1-11 Stanford team and went 29-21 over four seasons. Most recently, he inherited a 5-8 Michigan team and has gone 28-11 in the three seasons since.

2. David Shaw: 86 points
i

Current job: Stanford Cardinal head coach
NFL experience: Former assistant for Ravens (2002-05), Raiders (1998-2001) and Eagles (1997)

Shaw took over for Harbaugh at Stanford in 2011 and has gone 73-22 since -- a mark that includes three Pac-12 championships. He played wide receiver at Stanford in the early '90s. Other former Stanford coaches include Bill Walsh, Denny Green and (why not?) Pop Warner.

3. Josh McDaniels: 85 points
i

Current job: New England Patriots offensive coordinator
Other NFL experience: Former Broncos head coach (2009-10)

McDaniels has coached New England's offense and been Tom Brady's quarterbacks coach since 2012. In that time, the Patriots have finished first, fourth, sixth, fifth, second and second in Football Outsiders' offensive DVOAmetric. McDaniels had an 11-17 record in a relatively brief stint as the Broncos' head coach in 2009 and 12 games into 2010.

4. Nick Saban: 59 points
i

Current job: Alabama Crimson Tide head coach
NFL experience: Former Dolphins head coach (2005-06)

Saban was 15-17 in a two-year stint as the Dolphins' head coach more than a decade ago, but that was with Daunte Culpepper, Joey Harrington, Cleo Lemon and Gus Frerotte at quarterback -- not Drew Brees. Since leaving Miami, Saban has gone 131-20 at Alabama, winning four national titles along the way. Not too shabby. His overall record over 22 combined years as a college head coach is 222-62-1.

5. Jon Gruden: 58 points
i

Current job: ESPN analyst
NFL experience: Former head coach of Buccaneers (2002-08) and Raiders (1998-2001)

Gruden had a 95-81 career record as an NFL head coach, a stretch that included a Super Bowl title with the Buccaneers in the 2002 season. He has not coached since 2008. He started his career as a graduate assistant at Tennessee in 1986 and coached for the next 22 years before he was fired by Tampa Bay after the 2008 season.

6. Mike Vrabel, Texans defensive coordinator (25 points): The former Ohio State All-American defensive end played 14 seasons in the NFL and immediately transitioned to coaching, first at his alma mater and now in Houston under Bill O'Brien.

7. Dave Toub, Chiefs special-teams coordinator (23 points): An ace special-teams coach in the NFL since 2001, Toub has consistently produced units that are among the league's best. John Harbaugh was a special-teams coach for the Eagles before he was elevated to Ravens head coach in 2008.

T-8. Pat Shurmur, Vikings offensive coordinator (21 points): Shurmur has done remarkable work with QB Case Keenum in Minnesota this season, and his 9-23 two-year stint as the Browns' head coach in 2011 and 2012 -- with Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy and Seneca Wallace among Cleveland's quarterbacks over that span -- hasn't aged that poorly.

T-8. Matt Patricia, Patriots defensive coordinator (21 points): Instead of engineering military aircraft, Patricia opted to work his way up the New England and Bill Belichick coaching tree, where he's been since 2004. One plus: Patricia has coached offense and defense during his time in Foxborough.

10. Chris Petersen, Washington head coach (19 points): Petersen's record at his two college stops (Boise State and Washington) is 129-29. He once lost just eight games over a seven-year stretch at Boise State. He's renowned for his offenses

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So lets unpack this.

Its hard to imagine Nick Saban going anywhere. Jim Harbaugh is basically in his dream job and is struggling at it.

Pat Shurmur and Josh McDaniels bombed as coordinators on the Rams. Shurmur also bombed as a head coach on the Browns and McDaniels was pretty bad as a head coach on the Broncos. McDaniels drafting ability might also come into question.

Gruden is on that list. To me that is totally nuts but maybe someone might think he is better.

Dave Toub would be interesting but...well the Chiefs already have him. Broncos gave him a good look last year and passed him up (I'm guessing)

Vrabel is a massive risk. You're basically taking him before he has proven anything at all given the nature of the Texans defense. Patricia also has one of the other lowest ranked defenses so that seems pretty daft. Whats BB coaching tree looking like in general? It can't be all sunshine and rainbows.

So that leaves David Shaw and Chris Petersen. Not a big list.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet what was KC before Reid came along? Does KC want to go back to their Herm Edwards/Romeo Crennell ways? I thought it was ridiculous they canned Haley in 2011 knowing Crennell was not a offensive minded coach at all. How can you expect to be a playoff team when your star RB was out week 2 and starting QB was out week 10.

KC doing this would be par for the course just like with Vermeil and Haley.