• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Defensive Coordinators in NFL

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of new content and I’m getting antsy for the start of the season. Who do you guys think are the top guys in the league coordinating a defense right now?

Was talking to another poster on another forum about this guy. For my money there is no better right now than Lou Anarumo of the Bengals. The Bengals don’t jump out at you for having tons of out of this world talent on that side of the ball and yet he always seems to have his group playing well. He seems to scheme Andy Reid Mahomes and the Chiefs better than most. Bengals are very blessed. All the rage is promoting offensive assistants to head coach. Lou is already 57-58 so it’s unlikely that even if a franchise is interested, he’s not likely to take on being a head coach at his age.

Who are some other guys worthy of mention here?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No clue but I'm very thankful to have our guy
Quinn is extraordinary. In addition to being great with scheme he’s an exceptional teacher too.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati is 3rd in the NFL on defense cap hit if I'm looking at this right.
Great pull. I hadn’t realized they were that invested financially on that side of the ball.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great pull. I hadn’t realized they were that invested financially on that side of the ball.
Top 3 are the teams with Herbert, Allen, Burrow. Seems right.

I've always thought of Todd Bowles as a good defensive coordinator and a bad head coach. Not sure how many DCs matter in today's NFL.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 3 are the teams with Herbert, Allen, Burrow. Seems right.

I've always thought of Todd Bowles as a good defensive coordinator and a bad head coach. Not sure how many DCs matter in today's NFL.
I find your last sentence really interesting and I respect your football opinion. If you get a chance, do you mind expounding on that? I am in the opposite corner. I think with rule changes to benefit the offense, making defense more difficult to play, that scheme and coaching are now more important than ever.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find your last sentence really interesting and I respect your football opinion. If you get a chance, do you mind expounding on that? I am in the opposite corner. I think with rule changes to benefit the offense, making defense more difficult to play, that scheme and coaching are now more important than ever.
I agree with that but it's almost impossible to sustain a great defense with a salary cap.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that but it's almost impossible to sustain a great defense with a salary cap.
On this point, we agree. Defense is more about the Jimmys and the Joes than the Xs and the Os.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a lot of new content and I’m getting antsy for the start of the season. Who do you guys think are the top guys in the league coordinating a defense right now?

Was talking to another poster on another forum about this guy. For my money there is no better right now than Lou Anarumo of the Bengals. The Bengals don’t jump out at you for having tons of out of this world talent on that side of the ball and yet he always seems to have his group playing well. He seems to scheme Andy Reid Mahomes and the Chiefs better than most. Bengals are very blessed. All the rage is promoting offensive assistants to head coach. Lou is already 57-58 so it’s unlikely that even if a franchise is interested, he’s not likely to take on being a head coach at his age.

Who are some other guys worthy of mention here?
Matt Patricia?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point but is it the cap or all the rule changes favoring the O?
Both I'd guess.

Defensive coaching is obviously pretty important but it seems like it's hard for a defensive coach to stand out lately. I know the Chiefs just throw a bunch of young players in the secondary and hope Spags can coach them up. It's hard to say he is doing well but he is doing just enough

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both I'd guess.

Defensive coaching is obviously pretty important but it seems like it's hard for a defensive coach to stand out lately. I know the Chiefs just throw a bunch of young players in the secondary and hope Spags can coach them up. It's hard to say he is doing well but he is doing just enough
Guess my team will find out if it's scheme or the players with the addition of Schwartz.

Then again - and I do love the addition - I'm not sure how good he'd have been last year without nearly all of our LBs and the offseason additions we made on the line. Will say no way he'd have stood for Clowney's whining/antics.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't name a single Rams fan that wants Raheem Morris to keep the Rams DC job. Stats be damned.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jack del rio is a pretty good defensive coordinator for the commanders.