• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyle Shanahan the worst Super Bowl coach in NFL history?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure where this idea comes in that the Niners were massively successful running the ball after the initial drive which ended in a fumble. Niners needed a trick play and a 4th down conversion pass play on their 2 TD drives.

Chiefs stacked the box and even blitzed Purdy which is the thing you aren't supposed to do. They dared the Niners to pass into 1 on 1 coverage all game. Honestly pretty similar to what happened in the 2nd half against the Bills and all game against the Ravens. Chenal and sometimes Bolton can get in there and take on OL and TEs. Chiefs were using a Nose Tackle with Pennel and he made some key stops. Even threw Trent Williams to the ground on one play.

The Niners could have ran more but Im not sure it would've led to any more success.

Sure, but a running play after the 2 minute warning may have avoided OT.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd possession would still be an advantage if neither team scores on their 1st possessions or if both teams kick FGs.

Overall there's probably no advantage to kicking or receiving. In an outdoor stadium it's probably better to take the wind or favourable field conditions.

Yah... I think with the new rule the advantage is you know what you need when you get the ball 2nd. A field goal to win, or you have to get a field goal or TD to tie. The advantage with going 2nd is the Chiefs may have very well just gone for it with a 2 point conversion and just go for the win outright there had San Fran got a TD... I dunno they would've let the 9ers have the ball back with how exhausted everyone was getting. And if they were in a position to kick a field goal, you have to wonder if they go for it anyway and play the TD.

The ability to react and weigh all your options plus knowing that you are in auto 4th down territory so you can play with that in mind, is a clear advantage. Obviously if it was the old rules, receiving first is a no brainer because you can just end it outright.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
san fran is way over the cap and needs to cut players so their sb window is closing.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
san fran is way over the cap and needs to cut players so their sb window is closing.

Not really. With their rollover cap from 2023, they're actually a half mil under the cap.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but a running play after the 2 minute warning may have avoided OT.
I think there are a few situational mistakes for sure. This was a really sloppy game on both sides. Whats weird about Shanahan is that he seems to do everything right against the Packers but just cant keep a lead in the SB

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are a few situational mistakes for sure. This was a really sloppy game on both sides. Whats weird about Shanahan is that he seems to do everything right against the Packers but just cant keep a lead in the SB

Everyone has situational mistakes. I prefer to give credit to the bounce of the ball and the Chiefs than to tear down Shanahan in this instance.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone has situational mistakes. I prefer to give credit to the bounce of the ball and the Chiefs than to tear down Shanahan in this instance.
I agree this loss isn’t on Shanahan. The Niners didn’t really choke, Mahomes just played an awesome game and the Chiefs executed better in the second half, and that’s why the Chiefs won.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree this loss isn’t on Shanahan. The Niners didn’t really choke, Mahomes just played an awesome game and the Chiefs executed better in the second half, and that’s why the Chiefs won.
I'd say its partially on Shanahan but I do think you're right in that you really see the Chiefs play better in the second half. The visibility of Mahomes, Kelce, and Chris Jones playing well really flips the script on the whole season. Maybe Kelce only breaks out because Greenlaw gets injured and Chris Jones had a play where the Niners didnt even block him. Its a pretty crazy turn of events overall. I feel like the NFL really brought back defense this year and everything ends on a Mahomes magic drive with the Corndog play that beat the Eagles last year.

Really fun game but obviously im biased.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fluky bounce of the ball on the punt was all-time weird and wacky. That 7 point swing was massive and maybe the Chiefs still find a way to win knowing Mahomes and Reid but we could easily be praising Shanahan right now as a SB winner without that crazy turnover.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That fluky bounce of the ball on the punt was all-time weird and wacky. That 7 point swing was massive and maybe the Chiefs still find a way to win knowing Mahomes and Reid but we could easily be praising Shanahan right now as a SB winner without that crazy turnover.

Even flukier was the Greenlaw torn Achilles. Tragic. I read somewhere that he sprained his ankle during the week because of the poor field at UNLV, but I haven't looked into it to see if it's true. I remember Kevin Durant tearing his Achilles when he played on an injured calf, so it does seem like a weakened lower leg is a risk factor for Achilles injuries.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even flukier was the Greenlaw torn Achilles. Tragic. I read somewhere that he sprained his ankle during the week because of the poor field at UNLV, but I haven't looked into it to see if it's true. I remember Kevin Durant tearing his Achilles when he played on an injured calf, so it does seem like a weakened lower leg is a risk factor for Achilles injuries.
Yeah, there is no way you can understate the impact that had on the game. Greenlaw is one of the very few LBs in the league that can match up on a guy like Kelce and take away those easy throws.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, there is no way you can understate the impact that had on the game. Greenlaw is one of the very few LBs in the league that can match up on a guy like Kelce and take away those easy throws.

It's so hard to find someone like that. You're either quick enough but not big enough to defend Kelce or you are big enough but not quick enough. Elite linebackers are really the unicorns of pro football.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. With their rollover cap from 2023, they're actually a half mil under the cap.

I think the issue is a lot of their guys are getting a bit older and injuries are a concern... Williams is 37 (granted Whitworth was a stud into his 40s if I recall), Greenlaw just tore his ACL, Samuel is always injured, McCaffrey it was a MIRACLE he stayed healthy this year, Aiyuk will want money, Kittle is getting up there and is an injury problem, Hargrave is getting older, Armstead is going to be 32, Gregory is a free agent and getting up there... their OL has been OKAY but nothing elite... if Williams (who costs $30M cap this year) goes down their OL sucks.

Yah $500K under, but they have the 2nd fewest signed players... and EVERYONE they can move on from has huge dead cap penalties... and if you start cutting post June then you really hamstring your team in future years.

The 49ers have some tough decisions to make to free up the cap to assemble a team, and that's with a cheap QB. Like the Rams did (fuckin' Rams, hate you guys) they need to basically kill the draft and then probably just eat shit and start cutting players and just eat it this year... otherwise they can pray everyone stays healthy for one more year (Greenlaw prob. wont be back until late season) and then blow the whole thing up. If I was them I'd trade Purdy while the trade value is the highest it's ever going to be... collect 3 1st rounders and call it a day. Purdy wont do shit without an elite offense and one of the best left tackles in the game.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's so hard to find someone like that. You're either quick enough but not big enough to defend Kelce or you are big enough but not quick enough. Elite linebackers are really the unicorns of pro football.
Yeah, when you have a LB that has that speed and tenacity along with the ability to diagnose things immediately, you can't replace that. Hawks used to have that with Wagner and Wright.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting the ball first was the right call for two reasons: (1) give his defense a break after the Chiefs' drive to end regulation; and (2) if the game were tied after each team had an OT possession, the Niners would have the ball.

At the party that I was at we were all arguing over his decision to take the ball and my argument was that the 49er defense must be gassed and if that's the case then that's the correct call to make.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the party that I was at we were all arguing over his decision to take the ball and my argument was that the 49er defense must be gassed and if that's the case then that's the correct call to make.

The only problem is that the defense got a few extra minutes of rest, yet Mahomes gashed them all the way down the field anyway. Letting them rest proved to be more costly as their offense only got 3 for the trouble…

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...which is the reason for the rule change
Absolutely. It's a better rule than both it's predecessor and the regular season overtime rule. I hate the regular season 10 minute OT rule.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. It's a better rule than both it's predecessor and the regular season overtime rule. I hate the regular season 10 minute OT rule.

I don't like gimmicks or too many rules, so I would prefer either a return to sudden death or just add OT periods until there is a result (for the playoffs). Even when the Bills lost in OT to the Chiefs, my anger wasn't with the rules but the Bills' defense that failed with mere seconds on the clock in the 4th and again in OT.

Of course, it would help if every rule change wasn't to benefit the offense so that defenses would have a 50/50 shot to stop OT possessions.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the 10 minute OT is unfair. The team that gets the ball first often uses up more than half of the time.