• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do Teams Respond And Perform Better With An Offensive Mastermind At The Head Coach Position ?

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't use the word "trend" because, usually, once a trend is observed, it is passe .. and having great football minds never goes out of style

Having said that, there has been a lot of success from teams that have a head coach who masterminds, directs and calls the plays on offense ..

Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVey are the first to come to mind, and then there's Doug Peterson and Bruce Airens who've both won Super Bowls in the past few years ...

( There's also a guy named Sean Payton who, along with his QB, dominated defenses - and his division - for a decade .. )

Aside from the Pats with Bill Belichick, you've got to go back 10 years to when the Hawks beat the Broncos to find a HC who wasn't the offensive director of his team ... and as time goes by, it is more and more apparent as to why the Pats had so much sustained success .

I love a great defense .. I love cold weather, January football played outdoors .. Defense Wins Championships, right ??

That certainly was the case with the Broncos last SB victory

But do teams respond better to an offense minded head coach ??

Are defensive units, sub units and players a bit different in that they are better served as a mini team, to be directed and put together with a different mindset ?

Is it more difficult and unnatural for a defense to take on the character of it's head coach than it is to become their defensive coordinator ?

A great offensive mind is not going to have his QB as the leading rusher on the team

Yes, defense wins championships, but your head coach and QB better be not simply be on the same page, but like a great married couple

I think what I am saying is that we've got the right head coach

GO BRONCOS

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad we have a terrible roster

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, as the NFL is skewed towards offensive success so if you aren't set up to take advantage of that you are at a disadvantage. That said there will always be outliers and exceptions. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Lions when they lose their offensive coordinator to the Commanders.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've gotta disagree NFLB

Plus, a great head coach like Sean Payton will require some time to put the players in place ... Payton arrived already saddled with Russ and his disastrous contract, and a potential conflict of power with George Paton ...

There were some very good wins this year, and no other team in the NFL could come close to hold KC without an offensive TD in two straight games ...

I don't see a path for George Paton ... He's currently the Nikki Haley of the Denver Broncos ;)

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree. We have a total of 3 top tier players for their positions in Surtain, Simmons and Meinerz. Mims but only as a returner not a WR. A few slightly above average guys in Allen, McMillian, Sutton and Bolles. Maybe Bonitto, Browning and Cooper are above average but I am not sure and they certainly are not really difference makers. Javonte wasn't good this year, maybe he will be next year, but I wouldn't count on it. Some young guys may pop but didn't show much this year The rest are pretty much average or below average. That doesn't even look at our depth either which is pretty weak. This roster has a ton of room for improvement and not a lot of pathways to improvement thanks to the Russ trade and contract. I credit Payton and his staff for getting what they did out of this team. Coaching is not my worry for the broncos.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the talent is out of whack - you have to consider trading a guy like PSII - and gathering a bunch of picks in return.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the talent is out of whack - you have to consider trading a guy like PSII - and gathering a bunch of picks in return.
Its why I'm for such a thing honestly. With SP he isn't a patient person but, I'd hope to see a slower rebuild process. Back to PS2 part I know its dumb to trade a great player but, when are we going to be AFCCG level 2030. We'll be hurting til 26 or 27 and minimum. Payton talked about Det turnaround do we have 4 #1's 3 # 2's and 3 # 3's in two drafts coming up not even close. I know you have to hit with those picks and Det did. I'd like to see what we could do with that kind of ammo. Not to mention with the dead cap coming up. Do you really want to restructure everybody and run with same ole 2 or 3 more years?

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet with a "terrible" overall roster, we hold KC to no offensive TDs and go into Buffalo and win ?

Please, nobody say "lucky" ... I know no one will, but just in case

There is not one team in the NFL that has superstars all over the field in all three phases ..

How easy is it to name the players on any of the Pats' SB winning roster over the past 20 years ??

These were not rosters filled with HOF players .. These were players who fit a mentality and a belief system

Aside from Aaron Donald and a fading Von Miller, how many defensive players can be named from the Rams' 2021 SB roster ?

Every player in the NFL is an elite athlete at his position .. Does that mean every player has the potential to be an all-pro ?? .. No ... but a lot of what determines a champion is great coaching and having your few superstars rise to the occasion ..

I am very big on chemistry, playing as a unit and team mentality .. and coaches getting players that will fit within that system

Who is to say that Ja'quan McMillian isn't all pro caliber ?? ... At this point in his career, what makes it a given that he won't be at least as good as Chris Harris Jr ?

You wanna trade Jerry Jeudy for Jaycee Horn ?? ... all of a sudden, you have a group of CBs that could dominate, even more than the way this defense dominated KC this season ..

The only teams in the NFL that are "far off" are the teams with bad ownership and coaching ( ie Carolina )

You get a great HC who has the ability to not just succeed on Sunday, but change the everyday mindset, morale and culture, and you are not far off at all ......

Next up is finding a QB that can throw deep slants and between the numbers and take on the character of his coach