• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC West Coaches

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently announced the worst kept secret. Jim Harbaugh will be coaching the LA Chargers. Now our division has Andy Reid, Sean Payton, Jim Harbaugh and Antonio Pierce. Outside of Pierce, that's a pretty stellar lineup of coaching heavyweights. Will Harbaugh be able to get more out of the talent on the Chargers roster? Having Justin Herbert is going to be a pretty nice way to break into the West. Even Pierce was able to get more from his squad in the latter half of the season. Of course Andy Reid, is Andy Reid.

The Broncos desperately need a great quarterback to be competitive in the division for years to come. I'm glad we have Sean Payton. Now we just need the right personnel to get over the hump and back into the playoffs.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You never know how true it is but rumor has it Reid will retire at the end of the year. I certainly think he will if they win the SB but we can‘t take that chance.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of?

Pierce is an up and coming head coach. Players played hard for him and wanted him to remain.

Started 3-5 and ended 5-4 with him vs a not so easy schedule.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of?

Pierce is an up and coming head coach. Players played hard for him and wanted him to remain.

Started 3-5 and ended 5-4 with him vs a not so easy schedule.

Yeah, we'll see how Pierce develops over time. He just doesn't have the resume yet. He's arguably also the only defensive minded coach of the four. Otherwise, there are apparently a lot of offensive masterminds ready to unleash their expertise on the AFC West. As we learned this year, coaching doesn't necessarily matter if you don't have the right players. No doubt, Peyton improved the culture and the management of games but the Broncos need many upgrades to become a contender in a tough (and well coached) division.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Penner Group will need to put their big boy pants on. AFC West just upgraded HC pool big time. Great hire by LAC.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Harbaugh hire certainly gives the Bolts a huge lift going into next season - it's a big step forward from the head scratching vibe in keeping Staley on for so long .... This time last year I was rooting for the Chargers to retain Staley because if they hadn't, it looked like Sean Payton might end up there, esp with Herbert entering his prime ... I couldn't be happier that we have Payton, and the Harbaugh hire has created an immediate uptick in the rivalry ...

I think Antonio Pierce will turn out to be an excellent HC .. He was tossed into the fire, and all things considered, did a fantastic job .. We know first hand the chaos that Josh McDaniels can cause, and Pierce miraculously navigated out of that and had the Raiders contending for a playoff spot ...

And like with he Bolts, there's a different feeling I have going into this season with Pierce at the helm as opposed to McDaniels ...... Truth be told, having Staley and McDaniels head two of your rivals was exactly what a Bronco fan desired as far as keeping those franchises mediocre ..

On the other hand

The competition just became much stronger ... The AFC West is poised to be, once again, the toughest in the NFL ... and isn't that what we want ?? .. come out of the West, and you are already battle tested and confident ...

The Broncos took a big step forward, esp vs KC this past season .... the fact that KC did not score an offensive TD in two games vs us can not be understated .. Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes and Kelce are the best of the best, and we prevented them from scoring a TD for 8 quarters ..

I wish the season started this weekend

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and just for the record

I don't think we see Bill Belichick ever have a winning season again ... He's probably better of riding into the sunset

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while on the topic of coaches ..

Former Bronco head coach Vic Fangio was fired today by the Dolphins .. He had two years remaining on his contract

"In the wake of Wednesday’s stunning news that Fangio would not be returning as the Dolphins’ defensive coordinator after one season — despite having two years left on his contract — safety Jevon Holland, cornerback Cam Smith and former Dolphins safety Trill Williams all celebrated the move on social media.

Holland, a third-year player, posted a video on his Instagram Story that featured him kicking rocks into the street"

Poor Drew Lock .. with Fangio and Shurmur, he never had a chance here

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reed needs to lose weight so there is hope ...down side is the NFL wants KC to go all the way... so little girls will watch.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he would want to be a Defensive Coordinator; however, it would be amazing if he were to be a consultant or have some role with the Broncos Defense.
I can’t imagine two ultra alpha makes like Beli and Payton working together. Both will want to be in charge.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t imagine two ultra alpha makes like Beli and Payton working together. Both will want to be in charge.
Agreed which is why I don't see him taking a DC job, but maybe as a part time consultant it would keep him close the game but not with the players etc... Probably a long shot.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, when the saints go marching in
Oh Lord I want to be in that number
When the saints go marching in.

Oh, when the drums begin to bang

Oh, when the stars fall from the sky

Oh, when the moon turns red with blood

Oh, when the trumpet sounds its call

Oh, when the horsemen begin to ride

Oh, brother Charles you are my friend
Yea, you gonna be in that number

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, you gonna be in that number
Speaking of Saints marching in, here's an updated list of the 20 former Saints coaches and players that Sean Payton has brought onboard

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's happening to former and current Saints staff - has a Rapture kind of feel to it. ;)

Sean Payton is calling them home.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"We’re gonna attack ‘em with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind"

New Chargers HC Jim Harbaugh

I guess Jim is planning on being the Richard Simmons of the NFL ... That's not gonna work too well when your stadium is 80% fans of the visiting team

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Roman and Jesse Minter fill out Harbaugh's staff with the Chargers ..

Roman was unceremoniously fired in 2016 as the Bills OC by Rex Ryan during his second season there .. Roman had the Bills' O putting up some good numbers despite Tyrod Taylor being the starter at QB .. Ironically, it was after a 31-37 loss to the Jets that Roman was canned by the "defensive genius" Rex Ryan ..

Most recent, Roman served as the OC in Baltimore .. During Lamar Jackon's first season at QB, Roman had the Raven averaging 34 points per game by the end of the season, only to see the Ravens bounced from the playoffs ( sound familiar ? ) ... Roman stepped down last season after the Ravens loss to Cincy in the playoffs ( leaving the door open for Dr Heimlich, who the Ravens failed to hire )

I think the Bolts got it right this time around

If Roman had Tyrod Talyor and the 2015/16 Bills putting up 25-30 on a regular basis, it is concerning as a Bronco fan what he'll be able to do with Herbert ...

This will be Jesse Minter's first crack at defensive coordinator in the NFL

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos bring in two coaches who have previously worked with Sean Payton ...

- Jim Leonhard
Leonhard previously served as a defensive coordinator at Wisconsin, his alma mater, from 2017-2021 before being promoted to interim head coach in 2022. Leonhard then left the Badgers and spent one season as a senior football analyst with Illinois in 2023.

The Green Bay Packers offered Leonhard their defensive coordinator job in 2021 but he turned them down. Leonhard also interviewed for the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive coordinator opening in 2023. Leonhard will likely land a DC job at some point down the road. For now, the Broncos will have him coaching their defensive backs.

Leonhard will be the DBs coach and pass game coordinator on D ..

- Pete Carmichael
Carmichael, 52, worked with Denver head coach Sean Payton with the New Orleans Saints from 2006-2021. He served as the team’s offensive coordinator from 2009 through last season before being fired.

The Leonhard seems especially good .. He's a legitimate NFL DC candidate, and if Vance stumbles and the bright spots from last season prove to be few and far between, Leonhard would be able to step right in ..

Carmichael will serve as senior offensive assistant