• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Yusiel Puig

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on him as a player, whenever I watch ESPN that's literally all they talk about. Yeah I get that he's a very good baseball player, but seriously the sample size on him is so small. But ESPN is acting like he is the second coming of Jesus. I remember when Jay Bruce first came up and went on a tear like this but after that teams started to figure him out and he came back down to earth. Of course Jay has developed into a very good player as well. I don't know, I just think the hype on this guy has just become ridiculous.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wanted to get your guys thoughts on him as a player, whenever I watch ESPN that's literally all they talk about. Yeah I get that he's a very good baseball player, but seriously the sample size on him is so small. But ESPN is acting like he is the second coming of Jesus. I remember when Jay Bruce first came up and went on a tear like this but after that teams started to figure him out and he came back down to earth. Of course Jay has developed into a very good player as well. I don't know, I just think the hype on this guy has just become ridiculous.

I agree with you on this one. It is one of thousands of reason I hate the media. If they would or could just stick to reporting the facts, and not spend so much time building guys up higher than they should, only to bring them back down and rip them to shreads if and when they fail.

tlakes20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely not denying he has an insane amount of talent, I just think they're hyping this kid up way too much so when teams do start to figure him out and he's not putting up ridiculous numbers everyone will wonder what is happening to him.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely not denying he has an insane amount of talent, I just think they're hyping this kid up way too much so when teams do start to figure him out and he's not putting up ridiculous numbers everyone will wonder what is happening to him.

Once again, I agree. Turn the hype machine to low for awhile I say.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's Cespedes part II... Steroidal Hitter that will probably be a "franchise" player for a few years, at least as a hitter. He's a guy that will have to transition the current Dodger team from overpaid underproducing players that can't it don't communicate with Mattingly. Unfortunate, because I think Mattingly could be a good manager, on a less egotistical, more impressionable team...like our Reds as a hypothetical example. In surprised he hadn't learned more from Joe Torre, about giving the limelight (and accepting the blame himself) to players, but of course, you have to win to have limelight. Purifier is young still hungry and aggressive because he isn't a mid career free agent on his last, biggest contract, unlike Gonzalez, Hanley, Crawford and a few others there. I think Puig will mash, but needs to be groomed for a winning work ethic, tough on that team at the moment... But might be a cornerstone of a winning franchise if they can get more healthy pitching, and a few higher energy lineup guys.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a guy today who had hit one off the right field fence and was ambling into second base with a routine standup double. About halfway to send, he yanked a hammy. He's going on the DL now.

What that has to do with talent is what anything has to do with hype.

Did any of you guys read "Calico Joe" by Grisham? Very sad story. I recommend it.

BigDDude

I live again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a guy today who had hit one off the right field fence and was ambling into second base with a routine standup double. About halfway to send, he yanked a hammy. He's going on the DL now.

What that has to do with talent is what anything has to do with hype.

Did any of you guys read "Calico Joe" by Grisham? Very sad story. I recommend it.

My dad gave it to me 6 months ago. I intend to read it, but reading for me outside of the internet anymore is slim and none.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig tags up to take second on a long outfield fly and the media cues the choppers to begin circling and the President begins to address the U.N. General Assembly. It was okay when it was still new, but this is truly getting to be ridiculous.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Cole Hamels will teach him his place, huh ? Like he thumped Bruce Harper... then Harper stole 2b. You know, Charlie Hustle wasn't a nickname given to Pete Rose out of respect- MLB vets were making fun of a skinny "hot dog" that couldn't run, throw, play great D or hit for power, for running full speed to 1b after a walk. They thought he was thrilled to get on( he was) because he needed the charity ( a mistake on their part). Mantle and Mays struggled at first, and didn't have ESPN, UTube and cable TV. They were lucky, I guess.

Players really have no control of the media, who Bud Selig and MLB encourage to sell their product. The Dodgers fans enthusiasm for a Yankee-esc payroll there has...Uh... worn off. LA is a cash cow that needs a little feeding right now.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A week later, this cat is still hanging and banging.

Any new thoughts?