• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilson going to the Broncos

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right they like someone in the draft but I think the bigger issue was Rodger's mega contract that the Hawks know they couldn't afford to give Russ.

I mean they could've probably made it work.... The Packers were in one of the worst cap positions and they've found a way to give Rodgers a massive contract and franchise tag Adams for Fs sake. The Packers are going to ultimately collapse in a few years but they are in win now mode. Rodgers is also a flat out better QB than Wilson and the Packers seem to actually draft decently. End of day if Seattle wanted to they could've worked it out.

Lockett and Adams were effectively paid high contracts and I'm not sure why if now we let Wilson walk because those IMO are just kind of dead roles now while we rebuild. Adams is still pretty young, but yah.

IMO there was someone in the draft they were targeting and they internally knew the relationship soured with Wilson and he would've walked next year.... Broncos are obviously in win now mode.

I mean Seattle after Wilson won the Super Bowl went to meet/interview Josh Allen. And Pete makes a lot of the decisions on what we're running etc. I think Wilson wanted an offensive minded coach and a change of scenery.

I also think with the Wilson trade, Carroll should've gone as well and just blow it up... but that doesn't appear it's going to happen. I think Pete's scheme is a dying breed and the FO decisions ever since we traded for Graham just haven't made sense. I mean I defended the Adams trade (although it's not working out) but now with Wilson being let go, WTF was the point of that? And Lockett resigning who was so in tune with Wilson? Similar to Graham it's like we just fucked it up with what the future plans were (Graham being brought in and then asked to block)?

Since the SBOWL Seattle started making a LOT of questionable decisions at the FO level. So I have zero faith the current administration is going to do much if anything with the capital we got from Wilson.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did ok, two seconds is like a first in value, so two firsts and two seconds is pretty dam good, plus players and a 5th right ?
They filled exactly zero needs with the players. Useless QB, low leverage position good player and the type of DE we get at the end of every free agency. 4 lotto tickets we've been poor at capitalizing on, only one of which is highly valuable. Not getting either Surtain or Chubb (young, proven assets at a roster-hole position) in this deal should have made it a non-starter

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They filled exactly zero needs with the players. Useless QB, low leverage position good player and the type of DE we get at the end of every free agency. 4 lotto tickets we've been poor at capitalizing on, only one of which is highly valuable. Not getting either Surtain or Chubb (young, proven assets at a roster-hole position) in this deal should have made it a non-starter

My guess is they do some player swaps, they have some kinda plan …

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they could've probably made it work.... The Packers were in one of the worst cap positions and they've found a way to give Rodgers a massive contract and franchise tag Adams for Fs sake. The Packers are going to ultimately collapse in a few years but they are in win now mode. Rodgers is also a flat out better QB than Wilson and the Packers seem to actually draft decently. End of day if Seattle wanted to they could've worked it out.

Lockett and Adams were effectively paid high contracts and I'm not sure why if now we let Wilson walk because those IMO are just kind of dead roles now while we rebuild. Adams is still pretty young, but yah.

IMO there was someone in the draft they were targeting and they internally knew the relationship soured with Wilson and he would've walked next year.... Broncos are obviously in win now mode.

I mean Seattle after Wilson won the Super Bowl went to meet/interview Josh Allen. And Pete makes a lot of the decisions on what we're running etc. I think Wilson wanted an offensive minded coach and a change of scenery.

I also think with the Wilson trade, Carroll should've gone as well and just blow it up... but that doesn't appear it's going to happen. I think Pete's scheme is a dying breed and the FO decisions ever since we traded for Graham just haven't made sense. I mean I defended the Adams trade (although it's not working out) but now with Wilson being let go, WTF was the point of that? And Lockett resigning who was so in tune with Wilson? Similar to Graham it's like we just fucked it up with what the future plans were (Graham being brought in and then asked to block)?

Since the SBOWL Seattle started making a LOT of questionable decisions at the FO level. So I have zero faith the current administration is going to do much if anything with the capital we got from Wilson.
Makes me nervous if they have a QB in mind. Hopefully I'm wrong and the FO is targeting a positional player.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me nervous if they have a QB in mind. Hopefully I'm wrong and the FO is targeting a positional player.
Agreed. That means we're reaching for a QB this year with a pick that should be a star quality pass rusher/CB/OT and not being in position to spend our high 1st round pick next year on a much more talented QB class.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That means we're reaching for a QB this year with a pick that should be a star quality pass rusher/CB/OT and not being in position to spend our high 1st round pick next year on a much more talented QB class.
Exactly! I can handle a throw away year for a brighter future but if they reach this year in a not so good draft class, this franchise could be spinning its wheels for several years or longer.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently.

Point is though even after drafting Wilson, there was no general thought that he was any more of the next franchise QB than anyone I listed. You make it seem like it's easy to just get an all time great QB anytime you want. Reality says otherwise.

I dont think wilson is an all time great. For us yes, but not overall. Can we find a QB capable of getting us to SB? Yes, we can.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That would be atrocious, wait until next year or grab one in the 2nd if you absolutely cant resist
Aaron donald was the 10th overall pick? We could potentially get an elite player at 9 wasting it on reaching for a 2nd rate QB would be a nail in the coffin for this regime

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be atrocious, wait until next year or grab one in the 2nd if you absolutely cant resist
Aaron donald was the 10th overall pick? We could potentially get an elite player at 9 wasting it on reaching for a 2nd rate QB would be a nail in the coffin for this regime
Don't waste a pick in any round on a QB in this draft.

kcden

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,680.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even a 2nd round QB probably commits them to passing on a QB next year

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am more sad about Bobby Wagner leaving then I am about Russell Wilson…. He was my favorite Seahawks

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Ridder will probably go in the early to mid 2nd. I could see Seattle liking him as well and we now have the two 2nd rounders and two early 4ths... so maybe they'd take a flyer on him. Again he seems very similar to Wilson in terms of what he did at College and he's a little taller at 6'3".

I mean as we all know Wilson was a 3rd rounder and started the new regime for us. To hit on TWO guys like that back to back... it'd be a bit rare but it could happen.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Not a terrible return for Seattle but I thought they should've gotten another 1st rounder or young stud defensive player like Chubb or Surtain.

They needed to blow it up but honestly I thought they could've and should've made one last run at it considering how iffy the NFC is looking this upcoming season.

Will have to wait to get the juicy behind the scenes details on this one because it feels strange that they went from feeling they just needed to make some tweaks and adjustments to lighting the thing on fire and collecting the insurance money.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You might be right they like someone in the draft but I think the bigger issue was Rodger's mega contract that the Hawks know they couldn't afford to give Russ.

It's not that they couldn't afford it but it's that they don't want to tie up that much cap space in a position they don't value as highly as other teams.

Hard to justify giving a guy top dollar when you're towards the bottom of the league in pass attempts by design.

That's why you had the clash between Wilson and Pete in the first place. Wilson wanted to be more of the focal point of the offense and Pete wanted that run the ball, control the clock, play great defense, and a QB that made a handful of key throws a game offense. Pete unleashing Wilson was really only a "break glass in case of emergency" option when it's the 4th quarter, the team is down by 10, and running the ball is off the table.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well after sleeping on it, this trade still looks pretty terrible.

Let's start off by me making the assertion that Wilson's struggles are wildly overblown and miss some key considerations.

Over the past 2 seasons, Wilson has been very good when healthy except for a few specific exceptions. The most notable being the Rams. The Rams have been a constant nightmare for Wilson. They have been a constant nightmare for our offensive line. Consider the following.

Russell Wilson had a passer rating of under 100 this year in 5 games. 2 of those games he was clearly hurt. One of those games he played pretty well but his PR was hurt by an egregious Everett gaffe that resulted in a pick. The other 2 were the Rams. The Seahawks have been unable to find any way to slow Aaron Donald down for 10 years. I realize that passer rating is far from a perfect measuring stick. But if you look at any of his advanced stats they all tend to show the same thing.

Now the back half of the 2020 season was a different issue. IMO, 2 things happened. First, teams adjusted the Seahawks offense did not. There are schemes to attack a Cover-2 system. Yet they didn't use any of them. And, IMO, their aversion to the screen is a huge part of the problem. The other big issues is that the running game was absolutely terrible. Russ thrives on the PA so he will always need some sort of running game, or least he did in the Seahawks offense. So he needs to get something from the running game. Not a lot. But the perpetual 1 ypc in the 1st half of games was always causing the team problems.

Now does that mean that Russ was perfect? Certainly not. He still focuses too much on the big play And his deep ball accuracy really took a hit after the injury. But the belief by many that he's already on the downslope of his career is really premature. His lack of late game heroics this season was probably the biggest concern. But I think that is just as easily an aberation as a sign of a real problem.

What's done is done. But ultimately I think that Jodie Allen chose PC/JS over Russ primarily because of financial considerations and her lack of interest with regards to the Seahawks success. And I think that we all need to accept the reality that this team is unlikely to be truly successful again until Jodie sells the team.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually there are some other things that come to mind for me with this trade in which I am not completely upset is that:

1. Wilson was probably going to walk after his contract is up in 2 years so it is better to trade him now because come next season IF he gets hurt again or has an average season we would be lucky to even get 1 first round pick for a 34 year old QB.

2. I am taking the petty route in all this. I am sure there were teams like the Commanders that probably offered 3 first round picks but the potential to win in a weak division in a thin conference like the NFC is too great. Now going to the AFC West in a stacked division not to mention other teams in the conference like the Bengals, Titans, Bills, and Patriots I really dont see RW and the Broncos winning more than 10 games and getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round and thats how he will probably end his career. I am perfectly fine with getting less in return to avoid seeing this guy win a super bowl.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they are rare. These types of QB seldom get traded. What other QB like the examples given has been traded?
None of those guys were top tier QBs. Goff was a negative value QB when he was traded. Foles was a bad QB before and after a hot run with the Eagles. The Niners had some pretty terrible seasons.
I think the point @flyerhawk is making is that in the times it's happened, the replacement QB was ALREADY on the team, so that's why they felt ok in trading away out the "old" PB QB. Montana/Young, Favruh/Rodgers, Brees/Rivers, and more recently (though lesser), Flacco/Jackson, Smith/Mahomes, etc. Teams get into trouble when they cut/trade away their PB-level QB without a replacement already there and waiting.