• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will a win on Sunday mean Brady is the greatest QB of all-time?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In one of the Giant SB's they were missing 2 starters

Well...yes, injuries happen to every team. The Patriots have always committed to having an outstanding line in front of Brady. It's what you should do. The Ravens are following that same philosophy and I love it.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway might have had a bigger span for a SB appearance but I'm not sure.

1989-1997. Elway has a total of 5 appearances (2nd most).

Elway and Unitas will always be in these GOAT conversations.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one else has made it to 6 SBs. If NE wins and Brady has a big game with the production coming while the game is competitive (unlike Manning last year), then I think it's awfully hard to argue he isn't the best. Just wondering -- has there ever been this large of a gap between SB appearances for a QB?

I think you meant SB wins for a QB. The Pats were just there in 2011.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...yes, injuries happen to every team. The Patriots have always committed to having an outstanding line in front of Brady. It's what you should do. The Ravens are following that same philosophy and I love it.

Missing 2 (Might have been 3) starts on the line against that Giants D line and still managing to leave the field with the lead is not a loss I can pin on Brady. I'd like to but I can't. He certainly wasn't outplayed by Eli.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to give more credit to the QBs that played in a much more physical era. I also tend to give more credit to those QBs who are widely known as innovators. Johnny U fits the bill in both instances.

Everyone has their own criteria though.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to give more credit to the QBs that played in a much more physical era. I also tend to give more credit to those QBs who are widely known as innovators. Johnny U fits the bill in both instances.

Everyone has their own criteria though.

I think I would rate Unitas first as well.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing 2 (Might have been 3) starts on the line against that Giants D line and still managing to leave the field with the lead is not a loss I can pin on Brady. I'd like to but I can't. He certainly wasn't outplayed by Eli.

Good point. That comment was more tongue in cheek than anything. I strongly dislike Brady, but certainly understand how great he has been.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying Brady hasn't had great teams?

He hasn't. When all is said and done he will have played with very few HOF'ers. Moss will be one, as will Brady but there aren't many others he played with that will be.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to devalue Quarterbacks like Sid Luckman and Johnny Unitas, but ..........

Defensive linemen in Luckman's era weighed about 225 ibs and were primarily big, fat, slow men. Most of them worked a 40 hour a week job and made between $5000 and $10,000 playing professional football. In Unitas' era the defensive linemen were thought to be huge if they weighed in at 265 lbs and linebackers were about 225-240. Neither Luckman or Unitas could run to save their lives. If they played in today's NFL, they may not be playing at all. They were not big men and while they were great in their day, no one can place them in today's pro football and say whether or not they could play.

Comparing today's NFL against the 30's, 40's 50' and 60's isn't a fair argument. The size, conditioning, diet and drugs were not available in 1950 that are known or available today.

It's like reading the Bible about David and Goliath. David was probably about 5'1 maybe 5'2 and that was normal for that period in history. Goliath was said to be a giant. Most likely, Goliath was the size of Shaquille O'Neal.....7'0" 300 lbs. Big today, but a giant 2000 years ago.

Put, Montana, Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees in the NFL in 1950 and you'd have QBs that are bigger than the linebackers of that time, and probably as big as the linemen.

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greatest of all time? No.

Brady is a helluva pocket passer. Flush him or pressure him, and he's not much on scrambling or extending plays.

Montana, I reckon, is still the best.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He hasn't. When all is said and done he will have played with very few HOF'ers. Moss will be one, as will Brady but there aren't many others he played with that will be.

Sorry I don't agree with that, one player doesn't get to 6 Superbowls all by himself. When he was winning Superbowls he had damn good defenses. He has pretty much always had very good O-lines. They may not all be hall of famers but they are good.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to devalue Quarterbacks like Sid Luckman and Johnny Unitas, but ..........

Defensive linemen in Luckman's era weighed about 225 ibs and were primarily big, fat, slow men. Most of them worked a 40 hour a week job and made between $5000 and $10,000 playing professional football. In Unitas' era the defensive linemen were thought to be huge if they weighed in at 265 lbs and linebackers were about 225-240. Neither Luckman or Unitas could run to save their lives. If they played in today's NFL, they may not be playing at all. They were not big men and while they were great in their day, no one can place them in today's pro football and say whether or not they could play.

Comparing today's NFL against the 30's, 40's 50' and 60's isn't a fair argument. The size, conditioning, diet and drugs were not available in 1950 that are known or available today.

It's like reading the Bible about David and Goliath. David was probably about 5'1 maybe 5'2 and that was normal for that period in history. Goliath was said to be a giant. Most likely, Goliath was the size of Shaquille O'Neal.....7'0" 300 lbs. Big today, but a giant 2000 years ago.

Put, Montana, Brady, Manning, Rodgers or Brees in the NFL in 1950 and you'd have QBs that are bigger than the linebackers of that time, and probably as big as the linemen.

A. You mention the difference in defensive linemen, but wasn't there also a difference in who was protecting the QB...offensive linemen???

B. Unless you believe in time machines, you can't just "drop" Brady back into the 50's. What I mean is...you can't give Brady the benefit of all the technological advances in training and then send him back in time. That's ridiculous.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Rmilia Trolling Academy has at least one graduate.

Child, please! :rolleyes:

What reactionary nonsense which completely dismisses that this guy is the second worst cheater of our generation behind Lance Armstrong.

But this thread has gotten a response from me, which is certainly more than it deserves.

What has been Brady been guilty of cheating of? I'm sure he had the cameras there and deflated the balls.:L:L:doh::doh:

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different era's. It seemed a little wilder in the "olden" days

Here are some comparisons between Sid Luckman and Tom Brady

Brady

Completion percentage 63.5
TD% 5.5
Int% 2.0
Y/C 11.7

Luckman

Completion percentage 51.8
TD% 7.9
Int% 7.6
Y/C 16.2

Fencer

Not left-handed either
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When all is said and done he will have played with very few HOF'ers. Moss will be one, as will Brady but there aren't many others he played with that will be.

Agreed.

Moss -- for sure.
Gronk -- if he stays healthy long enough.
Dillon -- I doubt it. Wasn't there long anyway.
Law -- doesn't look likely at all.
Seau -- yes, but not for his accomplishments with the Pats.
Welker -- nope.
Seymour, Mankins -- frankly, being traded away is a big part of why they won't make it.
Wilfork -- only if he makes another couple Pro Bowls.
Vinateri -- pretty likely, actually. Some iconic kicks, and Pro Bowler into his 40s.
Vollmer, Collins, Hightower -- it's waaaaay too early to have that discussion about them.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but he'll close in on #2 for me, #2 for me is Unitas.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Rmilia Trolling Academy has at least one graduate.

Child, please! :rolleyes:

What reactionary nonsense which completely dismisses that this guy is the second worst cheater of our generation behind Lance Armstrong.

But this thread has gotten a response from me, which is certainly more than it deserves.

So that's not a yes for greatest QB of all time?

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

Moss -- for sure.
Gronk -- if he stays healthy long enough.
Dillon -- I doubt it. Wasn't there long anyway.
Law -- doesn't look likely at all.
Seau -- yes, but not for his accomplishments with the Pats.
Welker -- nope.
Seymour, Mankins -- frankly, being traded away is a big part of why they won't make it.
Wilfork -- only if he makes another couple Pro Bowls.
Vinateri -- pretty likely, actually. Some iconic kicks, and Pro Bowler into his 40s.
Vollmer, Collins, Hightower -- it's waaaaay too early to have that discussion about them.

Thank you.

Which brings us back to coaching. If you don't have great players or a lot of good players a coach has to coach them up. I think Belichick has excelled in that area of coaching. We've seen guys have good success then leave and end up doing nothing with their career. We've seen guys who never did much but come to the Pats and have success. You don't win that many games, division titles, go to AFC Championships and Super Bowls without great coaching skills especially when you are not loaded with HOF talent.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,405.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different era's. It seemed a little wilder in the "olden" days

Here are some comparisons between Sid Luckman and Tom Brady

Brady

Completion percentage 63.5
TD% 5.5
Int% 2.0
Y/C 11.7

Luckman

Completion percentage 51.8
TD% 7.9
Int% 7.6
Y/C 16.2

heres the only 1 u need to know:suds:

luckman 1744 passing attempts brady 7168 and counting

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread just invites "butthurt", "rustled jimmies", & "jelly"…

:doh: