• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who Would Trade Nick Young

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't know how young wildturkey is, but us Lakers fans of any age have never exactly been known for our patience. I've been following the Lakers since 1970 and have seen some teams here and there that were pretty bad. But the Lakers have always rebounded pretty quickly and at least gotten back to the playoffs within a year or 2.

Now, we're faced with a, so far, 3 year playoff drought, a team that looks like it will finish with the worst record in team history and the possibility of a 4th straight year missing the playoffs, unless they make a splash in FA. Not something any of us are used to, so I understand the lack of patience even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

I do kind of like the idea of not worrying too much about a top FA this off-season and letting the young guys learn and grow together ala the Warriors and even OKC. But, if they have a legit shot at a guy like KD or even Whiteside, I think they need to get them. KD especially, is vet enough to lead the team, but young enough to be part of the future for a long time rather than just babysit for 2-3 seasons.
But now you can see why I said that the Jim Buss time line wasn't realistic in the terms he said they will come back and even if he was to step down like he promised, Him and Jeannie and their siblings are still in control of the direction of the Lakers. I really never believed Buss when he said he would resign, but I don't expect him too and I don't think he should. You learn from losing and making mistakes and Jim Buss and Jeannie have to take the team and make it their team. I still think they will learn and bring the Lakers back again, but it is going to take a few more years. For the record, I don't consider making the playoffs a return to contention even though most people might. I think we both understand that it is a long shot for an 8 seeded team to be there for any reason other then to get beat. By next year at this time though - This Lakers team will really be good and ready to start attracting the pieces needed for a serious run. Two years from now, the Lakers might be running, but more likely it will be three. That's my estimate though

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But now you can see why I said that the Jim Buss time line wasn't realistic in the terms he said they will come back and even if he was to step down like he promised, Him and Jeannie and their siblings are still in control of the direction of the Lakers. I really never believed Buss when he said he would resign, but I don't expect him too and I don't think he should. You learn from losing and making mistakes and Jim Buss and Jeannie have to take the team and make it their team. I still think they will learn and bring the Lakers back again, but it is going to take a few more years. For the record, I don't consider making the playoffs a return to contention even though most people might. I think we both understand that it is a long shot for an 8 seeded team to be there for any reason other then to get beat. By next year at this time though - This Lakers team will really be good and ready to start attracting the pieces needed for a serious run. Two years from now, the Lakers might be running, but more likely it will be three. That's my estimate though

I don't think Jim has been as bad as the criticism he has gotten. But let's not get it twisted, he also hasn't been his Daddy or Jerry West either. He has made some pretty big mistakes trying to put his stamp on the team instead of just following the blueprint Dr. Buss established, which was hire smart basketball people and let them do their jobs.

Jim said he needed 3 years to get the Lakers back into contention or he would resign. Jeannie has said that if he doesn't, she will force him out. We are coming down to the end of year 2. I believe Jim's 3 year plan is based on them landing at least one difference maker FA to go along with the young talent they are acquiring.

I think that if the Lakers fail to land a difference maker and end up with another really bad team next year, he will step down as promised or Jeannie will force him out.

Here's where it could get really interesting, imo:

What if the Lakers don't make a splash in FA, but the young guys already on the team with the addition of a Simmons or Ingram are good enough to finish as a 7-10 seed? Obviously not contenders, but definitely moving in the right direction with a good young core that will be together for awhile. Does it buy Jim another season?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Jim has been as bad as the criticism he has gotten. But let's not get it twisted, he also hasn't been his Daddy or Jerry West either. He has made some pretty big mistakes trying to put his stamp on the team instead of just following the blueprint Dr. Buss established, which was hire smart basketball people and let them do their jobs.

Jim said he needed 3 years to get the Lakers back into contention or he would resign. Jeannie has said that if he doesn't, she will force him out. We are coming down to the end of year 2. I believe Jim's 3 year plan is based on them landing at least one difference maker FA to go along with the young talent they are acquiring.

I think that if the Lakers fail to land a difference maker and end up with another really bad team next year, he will step down as promised or Jeannie will force him out.

Here's where it could get really interesting, imo:

What if the Lakers don't make a splash in FA, but the young guys already on the team with the addition of a Simmons or Ingram are good enough to finish as a 7-10 seed? Obviously not contenders, but definitely moving in the right direction with a good young core that will be together for awhile. Does it buy Jim another season?
When Jim said three years to get back into contention - I never thought that was realistic. Five years because the first couple of years in the playoffs, I still don't think it's realistic to see the Lakers going to the finals. Not impossible with the right moves though. I agree that Jim hasn't been as bad as the criticism has been, but even if it was: I say so what? What does any one expect out of a new owner? This was Jerry Buss's team even though the Kids were running it for the most part the last few years before Jerry Buss died. I know how that works when some one is close to death, but The entire responsibility was not theirs yet. Give them a few years and every one will be a lot happier with the product

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that the Lakers need to make a big splash in free agents this summer though @trojanfan12 - If the Lakers gets another top three pick in the draft, Resign Clarkson, continue to develop Russell and Randle, they could be pretty damned good and possibly better then they would without that free agent or two. Anthony Brown hasn't really been wonderful, but Nance is not bad coming off the bench, bring back Huertas and Hibbert, Bass and they might make the playoffs. They are not far from winning on a regular basis. They got a lot of work to do this summer and if they do it, they should be able to make some noise next season. It would be nice to get two quality players in the mid range to elite though

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that the Lakers need to make a big splash in free agents this summer though @trojanfan12 - If the Lakers gets another top three pick in the draft, Resign Clarkson, continue to develop Russell and Randle, they could be pretty damned good and possibly better then they would without that free agent or two. Anthony Brown hasn't really been wonderful, but Nance is not bad coming off the bench, bring back Huertas and Hibbert, Bass and they might make the playoffs. They are not far from winning on a regular basis. They got a lot of work to do this summer and if they do it, they should be able to make some noise next season. It would be nice to get two quality players in the mid range to elite though

Get rid of Hibbert and replace him with Whiteside

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Jim said three years to get back into contention - I never thought that was realistic. Five years because the first couple of years in the playoffs, I still don't think it's realistic to see the Lakers going to the finals. Not impossible with the right moves though. I agree that Jim hasn't been as bad as the criticism has been, but even if it was: I say so what? What does any one expect out of a new owner? This was Jerry Buss's team even though the Kids were running it for the most part the last few years before Jerry Buss died. I know how that works when some one is close to death, but The entire responsibility was not theirs yet. Give them a few years and every one will be a lot happier with the product

Again, it just depends on who they get. Remember, the Cavs were a lottery team for the 4 years that Lebron was in Miami. Lebron returns and voila' they are in the finals. Not saying that landing a top FA or 2 will land the Lakers in the finals that quickly, but it would get them a whole lot closer, a whole lot faster.

As for the kids running the team, I agree. This is where I think that on some levels Jim has been getting a bit of a raw deal. There is no doubt that he has made his fair share of mistakes like getting rid of the training staff and hiring a friend of his with no real basketball experience as lead scout or whatever it was, but his biggest sin was that he's not his Dad.

He also got blamed for the hiring of D'Antoni over Phil even though it was actually Dr. Buss who made that decision because he wanted to see Showtime style ball.

Magic apparently developing amnesia and forgetting that he declared the Lakers "back" and had them winning the title when the Dwight/Nash trade happened, then eviscerating the FO, especially Jim, when that trade blew up on the Lakers didn't help either. That kind of made it open season on Jim.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of Hibbert and replace him with Whiteside

I agree. Unfortunately, he has shown a ton of improvement too soon and now I think the Heat will offer him a full max deal rather than the $14-16 million that was being kicked around earlier. The good thing is, the Heat don't have his Bird rights, so they can't offer him more than anyone else. But he may also decide to be loyal to the team that gave him his chance.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that because of the development of the young guys, if they can add a Simmons or Ingram in the draft, standing pat wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If they do land either of those guys, it could/should greatly effect who they go after in FA. For example, if they land one of those 2, they really don't need to go after KD, imo because Simmons and Ingram both project to be SF's.

That would give the Lakers a starting lineup of

C- Hibbert (?)
PG- Russell
SG - Clarkson
SF - Simmons/Ingram
PF - Randle

Hibbert would be the weak link there because he's had a very tough time adjusting to smaller lineups, so they would definitely want to get someone in FA who could run at center against smaller lineups if they keep Hibbert.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that because of the development of the young guys, if they can add a Simmons or Ingram in the draft, standing pat wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If they do land either of those guys, it could/should greatly effect who they go after in FA. For example, if they land one of those 2, they really don't need to go after KD, imo because Simmons and Ingram both project to be SF's.

That would give the Lakers a starting lineup of

C- Hibbert (?)
PG- Russell
SG - Clarkson
SF - Simmons/Ingram
PF - Randle

Hibbert would be the weak link there because he's had a very tough time adjusting to smaller lineups, so they would definitely want to get someone in FA who could run at center against smaller lineups if they keep Hibbert.

The Lakers got Louis Williams a couple of more years, but he's been averaging 15 ppg, 2.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists. I would love to see them push him to improve in the assists and rebounding department this summer, but if he is coming off the bench - then with Anthony Brown, Nance and the others they would still be much better than this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers got Louis Williams a couple of more years, but he's been averaging 15 ppg, 2.7 rebounds and 2.5 assists. I would love to see them push him to improve in the assists and rebounding department this summer, but if he is coming off the bench - then with Anthony Brown, Nance and the others they would still be much better than this year.

I agree. It's all about them continuing to improve and develop as a unit. If they do that, they can progress similar to how GSW has.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a center for the future, but man I am nervous about giving Whiteside that much money. Not just for him being a knucklehead at times, but I am nervous about giving max money to potential, and what we potentially believe as a guy that may, or may not be a great player some day. I mean, I'm not totally against it, but I'm cautious about it. I will say this however, we are definitely gonna need a good pick and roll center to beat GS, if we're competing with them however many years down the line.
I noticed that if Draymond Green get's put into a pick and roll while they play that "lineup of death", they cannot defend it, as the next person to help on the center is Harrison Barnes. I mean, even Randle did a nice job of doing that yesterday. But back to the Lakers, it feels good to see that the arrow is starting to point up on this team. Most of us have been saying for years that it'd eventually turn around, and many off us have never budged off of that opinion. We are a long ways away, but we have a good, young core.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Unfortunately, he has shown a ton of improvement too soon and now I think the Heat will offer him a full max deal rather than the $14-16 million that was being kicked around earlier. The good thing is, the Heat don't have his Bird rights, so they can't offer him more than anyone else. But he may also decide to be loyal to the team that gave him his chance.
Not sure if you're talking about Whiteside or Hibbert, and while I don't think he is a 15 million per year player, I do think he is worth keeping at the right price. My price would be 8 and 10 million and have him focus on his past rebounding and blocking skills. Just having a player who can block like he used to will change games by altering shots. He's had a rough two years and deserves a chance imo

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if you're talking about Whiteside or Hibbert, and while I don't think he is a 15 million per year player, I do think he is worth keeping at the right price. My price would be 8 and 10 million and have him focus on his past rebounding and blocking skills. Just having a player who can block like he used to will change games by altering shots. He's had a rough two years and deserves a chance imo

I'm talking about Whiteside. With what he has shown this season, especially since about the all-star break, he is going to get a max deal. Whether it's the Heat, the Lakers or someone else, he's getting a max deal.

Next time you get a chance, watch the Heat. The kid is becoming a beast. It's amazing how much better he is just from the beginning of the season until now. If he doesn't improve at all beyond where he is right now, he's still a top 3 center in the league.

I wouldn't want to pay Hibbert more than about $5-8 million or so. He hasn't been horrible, imo, but he hasn't provided the level of rim protection we were looking for and at times, he looked like a revolving door on defense. To be completely fair though, some of that was because the perimeter guys couldn't rotate beyond one or 2 passes and guys were running unchecked to the rim.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm talking about Whiteside. With what he has shown this season, especially since about the all-star break, he is going to get a max deal. Whether it's the Heat, the Lakers or someone else, he's getting a max deal.

Next time you get a chance, watch the Heat. The kid is becoming a beast. It's amazing how much better he is just from the beginning of the season until now. If he doesn't improve at all beyond where he is right now, he's still a top 3 center in the league.

I wouldn't want to pay Hibbert more than about $5-8 million or so. He hasn't been horrible, imo, but he hasn't provided the level of rim protection we were looking for and at times, he looked like a revolving door on defense. To be completely fair though, some of that was because the perimeter guys couldn't rotate beyond one or 2 passes and guys were running unchecked to the rim.
The Heat will be offering Whiteside top money in my opinion just to keep him from the Lakers, but the Lakers are in a good position this summer to attract free agents that can play. Honestly as a free agent I would not have wanted to sign with the Lakers the last two summers. This year they will be in that position and almost not need to sign much if they get Ingram/Simmons

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to get Cousins and the way he has gotten along with George Karl - it's going to be him or Karl eventually. Sadly for the Lakers it will most likely be the coach that leaves

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're full of shit. You drop in on posts that have little or nothing to do with Byron, just to bash. You have presented no facts. Everything is speculation and it's the same bullshit you've already posted 100 times. You present zero new material.

And gee, we've certainly never seen the media pile on a player whether positive or negative and whether it was deserved or not.:rolleyes2:

Again, find new material.

I'm full of shit? Go look in the mirror because you're smelling yourself with this one. You say I was just dropping in on a topic that has nothing to do with Byron just to bash. Let's look at the facts since its here for everyone to read. This is a topic about NICK YOUNG yet you were already talking about Byron Scott before I even approached the topic. YOU ALREADY BROUGHT IT UP. It's already being discussed. I responded to a post YOU MADE. Stop trying to cover your own ass

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm full of shit?

Yes, you are. Get new material.

And for the record, I didn't bring Byron up in this thread which further shows how full of shit you are.

Last edited:

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think at this point of his career -- Lou is who he is. (a Jamal Crawford type of volume shooter off the bench)

Is Huertas the right person to team with Lou as the 2nd team backcourt ? (he looked great vs. the Ws)

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think at this point of his career -- Lou is who he is. (a Jamal Crawford type of volume shooter off the bench)

Is Huertas the right person to team with Lou as the 2nd team backcourt ? (he looked great vs. the Ws)

Huertas has been interesting. In pre-season, he looked like an all-star. Then, when the season started, he was awful. It was like he was scared. Of late, he has looked more comfortable and we're starting to see a little of the play that we saw from him in the pre-season.

If he continues I could see he and Sweet Lou making a pretty good combo off the bench next season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers really need to get better at the Center and SF position. If they don't get Ingram or Simmons they'll be actively going for Durant and rumours have it they're planning to give DeRozan a max contract too.

Center wise, other than Whiteside, who else would be available in free agency that would improve us?