• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the Lakers do now?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love me some Joakim Noah, but he's injured too much lately. I do like Deng and I don't think Miami has the cap space to keep him and sign Whiteside to the huge raise he's going to get.

How much either Noah or Deng really play is irrelevant to the process. A guy like Noah even if he's not playing, isn't going to let his team slack without letting them know about it. He'll bring a mental toughness and edge, which is more valuable than the 20-30 missed games you expect from him a year.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much either Noah or Deng really play is irrelevant to the process. A guy like Noah even if he's not playing, isn't going to let his team slack without letting them know about it. He'll bring a mental toughness and edge, which is more valuable than the 20-30 missed games you expect from him a year.

Yeah, I think I was editing my post when you were writing this. :lol:

I agree that Noah, for 2 years, would definitely teach the kids all about professionalism, hustle and hard work on defense.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also rumored that Jeanie is lobbying to keep Byron.

I'm still confused about the Buss' deal.

Is Jerry's 3 year window to "get the Lakers deep in the playoffs" done this summer ?

Or does he get another year ?

Last I heard Jeanie & Jerry had a different opinion about the timeline.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It didn't seem to help the Bulls much this year.

Sometimes it is tough to know what happens in the locker room. Noah could be one of those guys who is more of a leader on the court than off of it with a bunch of young guys.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't seem to help the Bulls much this year.

Sometimes it is tough to know what happens in the locker room. Noah could be one of those guys who is more of a leader on the court than off of it with a bunch of young guys.

Difference is the player personnel. Look at the Bulls Roster, you have a former MVP, a MIP/All-star and likely a HOF big Gasol. Vastly different than being the mental/emotional leader of a bunch of young guys. Those guys are going to do what they want.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a rumor that Thon Maker might be granted eligibility to enter the draft this year. Something about him being 19 and that he could have graduated HS last year. If that happens and Lakers also win the lottery, they are right back in business.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read a rumor that Thon Maker might be granted eligibility to enter the draft this year. Something about him being 19 and that he could have graduated HS last year. If that happens and Lakers also win the lottery, they are right back in business.

Thon Maker is a huge project and does not have a higher ceiling than either Simmons or Ingram. If the Lakers drafted him 1st overall, as a Warrior fan I would jump for joy.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is Jerry's 3 year window to "get the Lakers deep in the playoffs" done this summer ?

ar left. (Chris Carlson / AP)

The Lakers’ season wrapped Wednesday with a Hollywood ending, as Kobe Bryant scored 60 points and got a royal send-off in the last game of his 20-year career.

Of course, the Lakers dedicated this season to Bryant to distract fans from the team’s worst season since it moved to Los Angeles in 1960.

Now, it’s back to reality for a team that finished with 17 wins.

But the Lakers are running out of distractions. With Bryant goes the last link to Laker greatness, which was assumed while the team won 10 titles from 1980 to 2010, as movie stars, studio heads and celebrities snake-danced from the Forum to Staples Center.

What’s left for a Laker fan to root for?

Oh, right. One more season like this, and it’s goodbye to Jim Buss, executive vice president of basketball operations.

Scorned by Laker fans, the team’s part-owner said in 2014 that he would resign if the team was not back in contention in “three or four years.”

However offhanded he meant it, his sister and team president Jeanie Buss pounced, saying she would hold him to it if the team wasn’t back—which, she stipulated, meant making the Western Conference Finals—in three years.

That means the Lakers have until next season. As she noted last spring, “My brother understands that we have to continue to strive for greatness, and I think he would be the first one to feel that he would need to step down if he can’t get us to that point.”

Unfortunately for Laker fans, removing Jim won’t help—point guard D’Angelo Russell is not the next Magic Johnson.

Jim never had much actual power, and now he has none. For years, he has gone along with general manager Mitch Kupchak. That’s a good thing, since Jeanie outranked both of them.

Aside from that, Jim has to hope Jeanie lets him stay, according to the wishes of their late father, who just wanted them all to get along.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thon Maker is eligible. CitySushi is right though. No one in their right mind would take him over Simmons and Ingram.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thon Maker is a huge project and does not have a higher ceiling than either Simmons or Ingram. If the Lakers drafted him 1st overall, as a Warrior fan I would jump for joy.
Sounds like what people thought about the Knicks after they took Porzingis. You just never really know for sure.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thon Maker is eligible. CitySushi is right though. No one in their right mind would take him over Simmons and Ingram.
I like Ingram. He looks like a legit star. Maker just looks like he has all the talent in the world. Reminds me of the first time I saw Kevin Garnett.

ChrisGar15

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow -- from what I've read it is 50/50 for him being taken in the first round. (almost definitely not in top 15 unless a team really wants to reach)

Below is what DraftExpress said after his recent Nike camp.

Strengths:
-Has great size for a big man at 7'1. Has gotten bigger in the upper body. Reportedly around 225 pounds now.
-Fairly quick off his feet. Can play above the rim with time and space
-Physical and competitive big man. Plays with a superb motor at all times. Doesn't give up space in the post. Went at DeAndre Ayton with everything he had.
-Fairly versatile defensively. Hedges out long almost to half-court with quick feet. Will come up with some chase-down blocks in transition. Has solid timing. Has some potential switching on perimeter defensively.
-Willing to take hits around the basket.
-Will pass ahead in transition.
-Can handle the ball and attack in a straight line
-Will knock down an occasional catch and shoot 3-pointer.
-Looks like a great teammate. Intelligent guy off the court.

Weaknesses:
-Does not have great length relative to his height. Also has very small hands.
-Lacks lower body strength and not clear how much he can continue to fill out with his very narrow frame
-Good, not great athlete
-Bobbles a lot of good passes
-Feel for the game is not great. Looks way too sped up, forces the issue quite a bit. Turns the ball over more than you'd hope
-Struggled to make plays inside the arc in the half-court, but is not a consistent threat from the perimeter either.
-Shooting mechanics are not great. Slow and rigid release. Does not have great touch. Struggled with his jumper all week
-Slow reacting to things on the fly, particularly defensively. Awareness is just average
-Just an average rebounder due to lack of length, small hands and questionable timing

Outlook: Was a year or two older (on paper) than all the other prospects in attendance, but did not have an overwhelmingly productive camp. Somewhat stuck between the power forward and center positions. Long-term he is likely better suited for a role as an energy-giving big man rather than the superstar he was being hyped as. May need a few years in college to continue to improve his skill-level and frame.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what they'll do to stay in the spotlight but I'm hoping that after 30 years or so of being good to great, they'll just continue to stink for a while. Every franchise needs to spend a little time at the bottom for humility if nothing else. Junior Buss, whatever his name is, seems like just the guy to keep them there.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is going in the lotto.

Either some Team with multiple picks Celtics, Suns, Denver or a Team like the Raptors, who can wait for him to develop, will take him.

Smart move in a weaker draft.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow -- from what I've read it is 50/50 for him being taken in the first round. (almost definitely not in top 15 unless a team really wants to reach)

Below is what DraftExpress said after his recent Nike camp.

Strengths:
-Has great size for a big man at 7'1. Has gotten bigger in the upper body. Reportedly around 225 pounds now.
-Fairly quick off his feet. Can play above the rim with time and space
-Physical and competitive big man. Plays with a superb motor at all times. Doesn't give up space in the post. Went at DeAndre Ayton with everything he had.
-Fairly versatile defensively. Hedges out long almost to half-court with quick feet. Will come up with some chase-down blocks in transition. Has solid timing. Has some potential switching on perimeter defensively.
-Willing to take hits around the basket.
-Will pass ahead in transition.
-Can handle the ball and attack in a straight line
-Will knock down an occasional catch and shoot 3-pointer.
-Looks like a great teammate. Intelligent guy off the court.

Weaknesses:
-Does not have great length relative to his height. Also has very small hands.
-Lacks lower body strength and not clear how much he can continue to fill out with his very narrow frame
-Good, not great athlete
-Bobbles a lot of good passes
-Feel for the game is not great. Looks way too sped up, forces the issue quite a bit. Turns the ball over more than you'd hope
-Struggled to make plays inside the arc in the half-court, but is not a consistent threat from the perimeter either.
-Shooting mechanics are not great. Slow and rigid release. Does not have great touch. Struggled with his jumper all week
-Slow reacting to things on the fly, particularly defensively. Awareness is just average
-Just an average rebounder due to lack of length, small hands and questionable timing

Outlook: Was a year or two older (on paper) than all the other prospects in attendance, but did not have an overwhelmingly productive camp. Somewhat stuck between the power forward and center positions. Long-term he is likely better suited for a role as an energy-giving big man rather than the superstar he was being hyped as. May need a few years in college to continue to improve his skill-level and frame.

NBA scouts are divided on his draft stock. Some scouts have him ranked as a late lottery pick, others as low as the second round. He ranks No. 20 on ESPN's Big Board.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I understand, this was year 2.