• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do we do at number 9?

What do we do with the ninth pick?

• Trade up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade for player

• Select Will Anderson Jr (Doubt he’s abvailable)

• Select Christian Gonzalez (Doubt he’s available)

• Select Michael Mayer

• Select Nolan Smith

• Select Lukas Van Ness

• Select Quentin Johnston

• Select Jordan Addison

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like his ego is getting too big for his britches,I hope every top 10 team passes on him........
Or it could be Drew Rosenhaus' ego? Sounds like comething he'd say. Had heard that Carter has a quiet demeanor & is not much of a talkative guy.
:noidea:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or it could be Drew Rosenhaus' ego? Sounds like comething he'd say. Had heard that Carter has a quiet demeanor & is not much of a talkative guy.
:noidea:

Rosenhaus has a huge ego no doubt.....but not sure how that helps Carters cause for a top 10 pick......
I actually believe Carter most likely will be a top 10 pick,byt if his off field issues and being overweight slides him to out of the top 10,pick no.11 on down may just tell him fu too.......

Itll be interesting to see where he lands.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who are the Magnificent Seven? Windy City Gridiron offers some takes:

With the exception of Will Anderson Jr, who is a for-sure early goner, every single player on this list has been mentioned, often numerous times, as likely candidates for the #9 pick. Which means there remains a huge element of mystery as to who Poles chooses. This of course assumes he stands pat at #9, as the possibility of trading further back only adds to the intrigue of the 'Guess the Bears Pick' sweepstakes.

Under normal circumstances, the smart money would be on Paris Johnson, Jr, as he makes the most sense, certainly from a positional standpoint. But we're talking Poles and his mysterious BPA board here, so it's anyone's guess as to who's #1 on his radar.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of today. I'm cool with either
1. OT Paris Johnson Jr
2. DE Tyree Wilson
3. DT Jalen Carter

At least one should fall to us
All fills a need today and all have high upsides.
Substitute JSN for Carter and I'm groovy. Carter's work ethic concerns me more than his recent off field issues.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Substitute JSN for Carter and I'm groovy. Carter's work ethic concerns me more than his recent off field issues.
JSN would be a massive disappointment. I highly doubt Poles makes that mistake. Even if JSN becomes a good WR, this offense needs an anchor on the oline and the defense needs a monster on the DLine. This pick will certainly have a lot of options for both spots that provide ample value for where we pick. The only other position I see potential for is CB.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JSN would be a massive disappointment. I highly doubt Poles makes that mistake. Even if JSN becomes a good WR, this offense needs an anchor on the oline and the defense needs a monster on the DLine. This pick will certainly have a lot of options for both spots that provide ample value for where we pick. The only other position I see potential for is CB.

Picking a WR wouldn't just be dumb from a need standpoint. It would ruin some of the good mojo we have going on right now by casting doubt on our current guys (mainly Claypool, to a lesser extent Mooney). Let us roll this year, figure out if Claypool is a guy we want then revisit WR next offseason. I would be shocked if we took a WR early. It just doesn't add up.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there's a Beatles song I never thought I would see posted on SportsHoopla. I am using the term "song" very loosely, of course.
A little fun piece of trivia with that song (or like you said, if you want to call it such). If you recall, the words "Number 9, Number 9" would repeat themselves thruout much of the song. Back in the day when record players could be manually spun backwards, by doing so that "Number 9" sounded very much like "turn me on dead man". This was during that period when the insane rumor about Paul dying in a motorcycle accident, yet not being reported was spreading all over. Naturally, the conspiracy theorists back then were claiming this was one of many clues confirming his death.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little fun piece of trivia with that song (or like you said, if you want to call it such). If you recall, the words "Number 9, Number 9" would repeat themselves thruout much of the song. Back in the day when record players could be manually spun backwards, by doing so that "Number 9" sounded very much like "turn me on dead man". This was during that period when the insane rumor about Paul dying in a motorcycle accident, yet not being reported was spreading all over. Naturally, the conspiracy theorists back then were claiming this was one of many clues confirming his death.
Car accident, and part of the reason people claimed such, is because the Beatles themselves deliberately left those clues. They are only every album, post rumor.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Car accident, and part of the reason people claimed such, is because the Beatles themselves deliberately left those clues. They are only every album, post rumor.
"Here's another clue for you all
The walrus was Paul"

Remember that line from the song Glass Onion? It only added to the intrigue.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article today from "someone with inside information" if Carter falls past Seattle and Detroit, Bears will hold fast and take him. If not Bears are looking to trade back down.

For the, "What it is worth, department."

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an article today from "someone with inside information" if Carter falls past Seattle and Detroit, Bears will hold fast and take him. If not Bears are looking to trade back down.

I like it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the latest Windy City Gridiron 2 rd mock draft scenario, the writer has the Steelers swapping three of their picks for three of ours:

9. Pittsburgh Steelers (from Bears via Panthers, projected trade): Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

The Steelers, surprised that Johnson fell out of the top 8, give up picks No. 17, 32 and 49 for Chicago’s picks No. 9, 61 and 64 in order to acquire the standout offensive tackle to protect Kenny Pickett for the long haul.

From a sheer numbers standpoint, the swaps come out relatively balanced via the draft value chart formula, so no issue there. Naturally I'm a bit curious as to why the Steelers feel the need of moving up to grab PJJ or conversely why Poles isn't so sold on him that he has no problems losing out. And the reasoning of the Steelers being surprised he falls out of the top 8 rings a bit hollow, being there are few, if any mock drafts from the dozens out there having an OL taken in the top 8. But whatever. So who do the Bears take at 17?

17. Chicago Bears (via Steelers, projected trade): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

The Bears move back, end up with three top-50 picks in total and acquire the best true right tackle in the 2023 draft. Wright is a mammoth of a blocker with tremendous anchor strength and sneaky good athleticism, especially for his size. He would start right away at a premium position that just so happens to arguably be Chicago’s biggest need.

No problemo baby, we get one of the fast rising OTs in the draft and are now in line for picks 32 & 49. Honestly, it's a scenario I really don't see happening, to me it makes little sense from the Steelers' standpoint. But shit, I'd take it in a heartbeat if there's even a hint of possibility.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Heard a similar thought on ESPN1000 that the Bears are negotiating a trade for the 9th pick. Speculation was that we'd get a 1st and early 2nd...

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big fan of Jalen Carter at #9.
If they take him, i will cheer him on.
But not all rookies work out and Carter has too many red flags for my liking.
Pick 9 is a pick that Poles MUST get right.

Last edited:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know all about the conspiracy. There's shit all over YouTube about it. The rumor was started by a student journalist/broadcaster at Northern Illinois University. My uncle attended NIU at the time and actually knew the kid who published the story. It was nonsense, of course.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in the latest Windy City Gridiron 2 rd mock draft scenario, the writer has the Steelers swapping three of their picks for three of ours:

9. Pittsburgh Steelers (from Bears via Panthers, projected trade): Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State

The Steelers, surprised that Johnson fell out of the top 8, give up picks No. 17, 32 and 49 for Chicago’s picks No. 9, 61 and 64 in order to acquire the standout offensive tackle to protect Kenny Pickett for the long haul.

From a sheer numbers standpoint, the swaps come out relatively balanced via the draft value chart formula, so no issue there. Naturally I'm a bit curious as to why the Steelers feel the need of moving up to grab PJJ or conversely why Poles isn't so sold on him that he has no problems losing out. And the reasoning of the Steelers being surprised he falls out of the top 8 rings a bit hollow, being there are few, if any mock drafts from the dozens out there having an OL taken in the top 8. But whatever. So who do the Bears take at 17?

17. Chicago Bears (via Steelers, projected trade): Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee

The Bears move back, end up with three top-50 picks in total and acquire the best true right tackle in the 2023 draft. Wright is a mammoth of a blocker with tremendous anchor strength and sneaky good athleticism, especially for his size. He would start right away at a premium position that just so happens to arguably be Chicago’s biggest need.

No problemo baby, we get one of the fast rising OTs in the draft and are now in line for picks 32 & 49. Honestly, it's a scenario I really don't see happening, to me it makes little sense from the Steelers' standpoint. But shit, I'd take it in a heartbeat if there's even a hint of possibility.
I might be willing to give Claypool back for pick #32? Can we just do that? lol