• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the Lakers do now?

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he's bad as his record lately with Cleveland and LA. I don't see a lot of coaches out there that really make a difference. Pop of course.. but not getting him. Maybe go for Luke Walton... But really he's no worse or better than 90% of the guys out there.

I just thought every Lakers fan wanted him gone is all.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm sure, not a lakers fan here, not a Laker hater either. Just think he's an average coach. Replace him, you might win a few more games might win a few less. If they think he's doing a shit job in the locker room, fire him, if they think he's kept a lot of things from getting a lot worse, keep him. Not like him, or his likely replacement is a difference maker is all. And not like next year is going to be critical for them. From an outside view, I don't see that decision really changing the makeup of the team.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, we do something that we're not used to doing...we wait, and for a long time. We let Russell, Rand, Clarkson, and possibly this years draft pick develop, and we continue to build up a young core. During that process, we'll continue to take swings at free agency, and look for the big trade

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most of us do. I think most Lakers fan understand that he hasn't exactly been given much to work with. Last year he mostly had a bunch of misfits trying to stay in the league. This year, he had a very young core group trying to learn how to be NBA players and had to try to balance that with Kobe's farewell tour.

However, there were some red flags along the way that point to him not being the right guy. For me, it was the defense. The defense never improved and they never learned to communicate defensively. They were ok on ball defenders, but once a team started moving the ball, they were lost. I'd like to see them make a serious run at Luke or Thibs.

It's also rumored that Jeanie is lobbying to keep Byron.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A squeaker of a double double on a terrible team is not impressive. And yes that team with a draft pick, can develop. But there is no way that team as the core, wins more than 30 games in the next couple of seasons. Also, the chances of of the Lakers landing either Simmons or Ingram are pretty low.

Simmons stock has dropped a lot. Even if he falls to the Lakers at 3-4, there is no guarantee he turns out to be anything more than an average player.
the Minnesota Timberwolves won 29 games with Wiggins, Towns, LaVine etc-

you are exactly right with your post about the Lakers- even if they are lucky enough to keep their pick- its highly unlikely they win 30 games unless they make significant moves in the free agent market- and with this years crop- and the position the Lakers are in- i dont necessarily think this is a good year to try and advance the rebuild- its probably too early just like u said. I think the exception is if there is a guy you really like and really want and believe is worth the money and the long term investment. I dont know there are guys out there like that this year who will have mutual interest.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, the Lakers pick is top three protected only - if the Lakers pick drops to 4, they don't anything
56% chance they keep their pick. Should be a VERY interesting lotto night. I cant ever remember alternative outcomes being so different---- truly feast or famine.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of us do. I think most Lakers fan understand that he hasn't exactly been given much to work with. Last year he mostly had a bunch of misfits trying to stay in the league. This year, he had a very young core group trying to learn how to be NBA players and had to try to balance that with Kobe's farewell tour.

However, there were some red flags along the way that point to him not being the right guy. For me, it was the defense. The defense never improved and they never learned to communicate defensively. They were ok on ball defenders, but once a team started moving the ball, they were lost. I'd like to see them make a serious run at Luke or Thibs.

It's also rumored that Jeanie is lobbying to keep Byron.

I don't like the rumored motive, though, which is one more season with Byron and Jimmy and then bringing Phil in.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office will explore all options available this summer. Whether it be continuing a youth movement with the draft pick, pursuing the top free agents, or splashy trades, no stone will be left unturned.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The front office will explore all options available this summer. Whether it be continuing a youth movement with the draft pick, pursuing the top free agents, or splashy trades, no stone will be left unturned.
if you are the Lakers which free agents would u go after?

From what i have read, listened to, etc.- it would seem that DeRozan and Whiteside- at least seem to be- their primary FA targets.

Obviously Durant WOULD be #1- or- scratch that- BRON- as both are FA's - but at least at this point in time- i dont see Durant going to LA- now if he takes a 1 year deal and re enters free agency the following summer- we would have to look at it again and see all the interim moves to see if it would be viable- and by viable i mean- something like- we get the #1 pick and Simmons- and signed Al Horford to a max- Russell and Randle continued to develop- and Durant and RW want to come together--- some kind of best case scenario like that-- obviously that would be deferring using your cap space for another summer- and personally- i dont think Jimmy Buss has the time left to do that.

Buss is under pressure to win now- and will throw the money around to the best guys he can get- to try and save his position. I think its important that a series of checks are in place...on one hand- how could u blame Buss for signing guys- say like DeRozan- to 25 million a year- the guy would obviosuly be a huge help...but is that really the best for the long term? i dont know- maybe it is- very well could be. I just think its an important consideration--- if Buss is truly little more than a lame duck- empowring him to make decisions that have a profound effect on the future of the franchise is not a good position. If Buss has the security to still be patient- i think the Lakers would be in a better situation. The thing is- you can talk about patience all you want- the Sixers talked a lot about it- right before they fired Hinkie after about- what? 2 and half years on the job?

tough decisions no doubt. SOOO much hangs on those ping pong balls though. Those ping pong balls will have HUGE sway over the narrative they sell to prospective FA's- whether positive or negative. That night- I believe anyway- is one of the mosti mportant nights in the LA Lakers Great and Unprecedented Rebuild.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram should be a good fit. Then if they could get an all-star player or 2 in free agency and some good role players the future could look good.

Russell
DeRozen?
Ingram
Randle
Whiteside?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ingram should be a good fit. Then if they could get an all-star player or 2 in free agency and some good role players the future could look good.

Russell
DeRozen?
Ingram
Randle
Whiteside?
if they could pull THAT off- you would have to feel pretty good about them going forward-- all though- i gotta say- i think simmons is going ahead of ingram no matter what...maybe i am wrong. we shall see....

if they signed BOTH DeRozan and Whiteside- got the #1 or #2 pick.....they would be competitive in the West.....the crazy thing about the West though-- is that- even if that scenario comes true- does that even mak them a top 5 western team? id probably think not.....it would be really interesting....but thats part of the reason why i think they need to practice patience..

and this is a good question....except for Durant- are there 2 guys that could be signed that would make the Lakers a team that would have a decent shot of winning a playoff series? thats a very tough question and im not gonna say no right off the bat- but its definitely a very good, tough question to answer. If your answer is NO- then i think that means they should remain patient.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i personally- if i was a Lakers fan- would LOVE a team like:

PG- Russell
SG- DeRozan
SF- Simmons
PF- Randle
C- Horford

that would give tehm a very good mix of vets that are still fairly young and very productive in Horford and DeRozan- guys to give you leadership----- but you would also have Russell/Simmons/Randle to be the high upside core.....

for me anyway- that is the ideal offseason for the Lakers.- absent craziness like Durant of course.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they could pull THAT off- you would have to feel pretty good about them going forward-- all though- i gotta say- i think simmons is going ahead of ingram no matter what...maybe i am wrong. we shall see....

if they signed BOTH DeRozan and Whiteside- got the #1 or #2 pick.....they would be competitive in the West.....the crazy thing about the West though-- is that- even if that scenario comes true- does that even mak them a top 5 western team? id probably think not.....it would be really interesting....but thats part of the reason why i think they need to practice patience..

and this is a good question....except for Durant- are there 2 guys that could be signed that would make the Lakers a team that would have a decent shot of winning a playoff series? thats a very tough question and im not gonna say no right off the bat- but its definitely a very good, tough question to answer. If your answer is NO- then i think that means they should remain patient.
And here is the thing - That is going to happen one way or another this year or next. if the Lakers lose the draft pick and have to wait til next next year - this young core they have now is going to be an attraction for veterans that can bring us wins. It's not the matter of if - it's the matter of win - They
are the Lakers:heh:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And here is the thing - That is going to happen one way or another this year or next. if the Lakers lose the draft pick and have to wait til next next year - this young core they have now is going to be an attraction for veterans that can bring us wins. It's not the matter of if - it's the matter of win - They
are the Lakers:heh:
say the Lakers get unlucky and they dont keep their pick.

Do you think that the team they have- Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Russell, etc. is enough for free agents to believe they can walk into LA and win? I look at the Twolves and see Towns, Wiggins (both former #1 picks- and no offense to Russell, RAndle etc- but both are much better prospects than anyone the Lakers have unless they get Simmons or Ingram)......and the Twolves won 29 games...and they have other talent too- LaVine, Rubio, Dieng, Shabazz, etc.....young players just really dont win in this league , not every often anyway.

Its hard for me to get behind the idea that a veteran will think they can have immediate success in LA even if they get Simmons or Ingram-- let alone if they dont get him. Its why I think patience is the best idea- of course no one wants to hear patience- but you have to agree that NEXT year- another year of developing the kids and knowing what you have would benefit you in your foray into FA...not only that- but this class is not exactly great anyway.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any Laker fan is expecting the team to make the playoffs next year without a star like Durant joining.

But if the young core keeps developing the way most of us hope they do, 2018 is a very good possibility, especially as Houston got the 8th seed this year with a 41-41 record.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And here is the thing - That is going to happen one way or another this year or next. if the Lakers lose the draft pick and have to wait til next next year - this young core they have now is going to be an attraction for veterans that can bring us wins. It's not the matter of if - it's the matter of win - They are the Lakers:heh:
say the Lakers get unlucky and they dont keep their pick.

Do you think that the team they have- Randle, Clarkson, Nance, Russell, etc. is enough for free agents to believe they can walk into LA and win? I look at the Twolves and see Towns, Wiggins (both former #1 picks- and no offense to Russell, RAndle etc- but both are much better prospects than anyone the Lakers have unless they get Simmons or Ingram)......and the Twolves won 29 games...and they have other talent too- LaVine, Rubio, Dieng, Shabazz, etc.....young players just really dont win in this league , not every often anyway.

Its hard for me to get behind the idea that a veteran will think they can have immediate success in LA even if they get Simmons or Ingram-- let alone if they dont get him. Its why I think patience is the best idea- of course no one wants to hear patience- but you have to agree that NEXT year- another year of developing the kids and knowing what you have would benefit you in your foray into FA...not only that- but this class is not exactly great anyway.
By next year after they have improved some more - yes. There have been teams that became championship contenders with just one or two first round draft picks. The Lakers have Clarkson - Randle - Russell and Nance Jr who is getting better now. With Kobe out of the way they can focus on the game. They might not attract players this summer though - It's possible, but I'm not sold for this year and I think it might be premature

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are the Lakers which free agents would u go after?

From what i have read, listened to, etc.- it would seem that DeRozan and Whiteside- at least seem to be- their primary FA targets.

Obviously Durant WOULD be #1- or- scratch that- BRON- as both are FA's - but at least at this point in time- i dont see Durant going to LA- now if he takes a 1 year deal and re enters free agency the following summer- we would have to look at it again and see all the interim moves to see if it would be viable- and by viable i mean- something like- we get the #1 pick and Simmons- and signed Al Horford to a max- Russell and Randle continued to develop- and Durant and RW want to come together--- some kind of best case scenario like that-- obviously that would be deferring using your cap space for another summer- and personally- i dont think Jimmy Buss has the time left to do that.

Buss is under pressure to win now- and will throw the money around to the best guys he can get- to try and save his position. I think its important that a series of checks are in place...on one hand- how could u blame Buss for signing guys- say like DeRozan- to 25 million a year- the guy would obviosuly be a huge help...but is that really the best for the long term? i dont know- maybe it is- very well could be. I just think its an important consideration--- if Buss is truly little more than a lame duck- empowring him to make decisions that have a profound effect on the future of the franchise is not a good position. If Buss has the security to still be patient- i think the Lakers would be in a better situation. The thing is- you can talk about patience all you want- the Sixers talked a lot about it- right before they fired Hinkie after about- what? 2 and half years on the job?

tough decisions no doubt. SOOO much hangs on those ping pong balls though. Those ping pong balls will have HUGE sway over the narrative they sell to prospective FA's- whether positive or negative. That night- I believe anyway- is one of the mosti mportant nights in the LA Lakers Great and Unprecedented Rebuild.

Agree with much of this. I agree that Durant isn't likely coming to the Lakers, but they will do their absolute best to convince him to come. I'm sure they will throw their hat in the Lebron ring, but I doubt anyone believes he'll leave Cleveland. So it'll be more of a "We have to offer him because it's Lebron and we can't tell our fans we didn't try" type offer. Every single person in the Lakers FO would probably faint if he actually said yes.

The draft will likely shape what FA's the Lakers target. For example, they have the cap space for 2 max deals. If they land one of the top 2 picks and get Simmons or Ingram, then I think it might make more sense to throw big money at a center like Whiteside or Horford and then use some of the rest of the cap space to give the bench a serious upgrade.

It would give them a starting lineup of:

PG - Russell
SG - Clarkson
SF - Simmons or Ingram
PF - Randle
C - Whiteside or Horford

That, with an upgraded bench, may not be a playoff team immediately, but they could grow into a real nice team that might even grow into a contender down the road. Especially with the right coach.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course there's the possibility that a couple teams move up in the draft & then the Lakers worst nightmare would happen. They lose their 1st round pick to Philly. We'll know more after the lottery.