• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 12: Giants at Bears

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trubisky is just saving his best for last...

Actually, it’s been game over since the packers game.

Still just an extremely ignorant viewpoint. One of the worst takes in this board's history.

For every time a fan-base with high expectations panics, says their season is over in September and winds-up correct. There's the Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens fans in late September who now look foolish. Every year, this happens.

Seasons don't end in week 1. It was an absurd viewpoint and still is.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still just an extremely ignorant viewpoint. One of the worst takes in this board's history.

For every time a fan-base with high expectations panics, says their season is over in September and winds-up correct. There's the Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens fans in late September who now look foolish. Every year, this happens.

"High expectations" is hard to quantify or I'd look up to see if your suggested 50% assumption is anywhere near accurate.

I would tend to think that a team the sucks donkey balls and only scores 3 points in week 1 at home on the National stage goes down the sh*thole more often than not...so "worst takes in board's history" is probably a tad exaggerated.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't score man. How the f*ck are we going to run off 4 straight vs playoff teams in GB/Minny/Dallas/KC?

Teams also don't really score on us. Which has kept us in every single game outside of New Orleans. I have utterly ZERO doubt that we will fail to run the table into the playoffs. However, our team's history (well, our D's history) under Nagy says that we should have a shot in those games. Those teams have flaws too. Green Bay has legitimately just been underwhelming all year (+16 differential) and have gotten lucky in a few games. Dallas is a 4-5 win team right now in a real division.

Look... I get it. I do. But until we're truly out of it. I need a reason to justify looking forward to these games. lol

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it’s not one of the worst takes in board history if it turned out correct. Especially when the board has a poster like you, who is wrong 90% of the time. What I saw in that packers game was an offense that I expected to improve, regress. I saw a QB who was confused, inaccurate, and not throwing to open receivers. I saw an oline that regressed. I saw a play caller who made the exact same mistakes as last year.

None of that is going to fix itself in season. We struggled against an average defense. It was pretty clear to anyone watching with half a brain that the bears weren’t contenders at that point. Call it “the worst take in board history” all you want, in the end it’s just sour grapes because you were dead wrong and I was right.

This has nothing to do with any other team. This has to do with the bears. Idgaf about other teams that rebounded from bad starts. I could see out of the gate that this team was not rebounding. You don’t have to give me credit for being right, but you shouldn’t try to make me look bad for it. It makes you look even dumber.

Queue the next richi novel that I won’t read.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"High expectations" is hard to quantify or I'd look up to see if your suggested 50% assumption is anywhere near accurate.

I would tend to think that a team the sucks donkey balls and only scores 3 points in week 1 at home on the National stage goes down the sh*thole more often than not...so "worst takes in board's history" is probably a tad exaggerated.

Yes, it's totally arbitrary. All I can do is go back through every season individually... for a long time and continue to find examples. Which you always will.

I never said "50% accurate". The point is, that week 1 and September is often very misleading. Teams often look like trash and then have entire rebirth in October going forward. Last year, the Saints started 0-2 and gave up 50 to the damn Bucs in Week 1. Houston started 0-3. Indianapolis 1-5. LAC started 1-2 losing both games by double digits. All four made the playoffs. Three won playoff games. Which was the most possible since Indy/Hou played each other.

This also plays out the same way with fast starters who look great and then burn out.

It's the equivalent to saying your team is finished in baseball because of a rough week or first couple trips through the rotation.

The Bears are/were great on one side of the ball coming in. Historically, it was just as likely that the Bears would progress offensively enough to win consistently as it was that they would not.

It is always, always stupid to say that who you are in Week 1. Is who you will be in Week 8, 9, 10, 11, etc. This is proven OVER AND OVER.

So, no... my statement was not laden with any hyperbole. It's a horrendously ignorant take. Born out of an emotional attachment to one team over 31 others.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams also don't really score on us. Which has kept us in every single game outside of New Orleans. I have utterly ZERO doubt that we will fail to run the table into the playoffs. However, our team's history (well, our D's history) under Nagy says that we should have a shot in those games. Those teams have flaws too. Green Bay has legitimately just been underwhelming all year (+16 differential) and have gotten lucky in a few games. Dallas is a 4-5 win team right now in a real division.

Look... I get it. I do. But until we're truly out of it. I need a reason to justify looking forward to these games. lol

We are 3 games back of Vikings/Packers for division/last playoff spot with 5 to go.

Packers remaining schedule: @ Giants vs Redskins vs us @Minnesota @Lions

Vikings remaining schedule: @Seahawks vs Lions @Chargers vs Packers vs Us

We have to win out and have one of those teams go 2-3 just to get to tiebreak...Both Vikes/Pack are only at 2 conference losses and we're at 4....so it's even possible winning out and having one of them go 2-3 isn't enough...so we may need one of them to go 1-4...

And we can't score....

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it's totally arbitrary. All I can do is go back through every season individually... for a long time and continue to find examples. Which you always will.

I never said "50% accurate". The point is, that week 1 and September is often very misleading. Teams often look like trash and then have entire rebirth in October going forward. Last year, the Saints started 0-2 and gave up 50 to the damn Bucs in Week 1. Houston started 0-3. Indianapolis 1-5. LAC started 1-2 losing both games by double digits. All four made the playoffs. Three won playoff games. Which was the most possible since Indy/Hou played each other.

This also plays out the same way with fast starters who look great and then burn out.

It's the equivalent to saying your team is finished in baseball because of a rough week or first couple trips through the rotation.

The Bears are/were great on one side of the ball coming in. Historically, it was just as likely that the Bears would progress offensively enough to win consistently as it was that they would not.

It is always, always stupid to say that who you are in Week 1. Is who you will be in Week 8, 9, 10, 11, etc. This is proven OVER AND OVER.

So, no... my statement was not laden with any hyperbole. It's a horrendously ignorant take. Born out of an emotional attachment to one team over 31 others.

It was assumed 50% when you said "For every time a fan-base with high expectations panics, says their season is over in September and winds-up correct. There's the Minnesota Vikings, Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens fans in late September who now look foolish. Every year, this happens."

One for one is 50%.

And I don't agree...While you have examples...I would tend to think that we're in the 75% and up stage on any team that throws up 3 points on opening day...at home...to an average defense at best.