• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vikes Fans 2.0

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having all this time to think about it, am I the only one who is starting to think that it's pretty ridiculous that the NFL, and thanks to public overreaction outrage, has pretty much ruined AP for at least this season, and probably at least half of the next season? What he did was over the top and wrong, and deserved punishment, but did it warrant ruining two seasons, and potentially his whole career over? I'm starting to think this is a gross overreaction.

I thought that from the moment the Vikes decided to sit him the 2nd time.

They shouldn't have given in to public pressure and should have had him playing after the one game they had him sit after the story broke. Right now they are paying him to stay home. That's just stupid. There would have been a firestorm initially but it would have already died away as new interesting stories like the cancelation of honey boo boo distracted the people who actually would have raised much of a fuss.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After having all this time to think about it, am I the only one who is starting to think that it's pretty ridiculous that the NFL, and thanks to public overreaction outrage, has pretty much ruined AP for at least this season, and probably at least half of the next season? What he did was over the top and wrong, and deserved punishment, but did it warrant ruining two seasons, and potentially his whole career over? I'm starting to think this is a gross overreaction.

All I can say is that it couldn't have happened at a worse time. The reaction totally blew up because of the timing.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that from the moment the Vikes decided to sit him the 2nd time.

They shouldn't have given in to public pressure and should have had him playing after the one game they had him sit after the story broke. Right now they are paying him to stay home. That's just stupid. There would have been a firestorm initially but it would have already died away as new interesting stories like the cancelation of honey boo boo distracted the people who actually would have raised much of a fuss.

When it comes down to it, the decision to sit him was all about money. They are paying him a shit ton to stay home, but they were going to lose a lot of sponsorship dollars if they didn't sit him. Now, with how badly they are losing, it might end up that sitting him was unwise even strictly from a financial standpoint. It'd be one thing if they were even still a decent team, but they quickly became a league joke after AP went out. People say he won't play as a Viking ever again, but the fact that they are willing to keep him on the roster as the most highly paid RB in the league while sitting suggests that they either want him back at some point or are hoping to eventually trade him, which they wouldn't get shit for him now anyway.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, the more we lose, the better of an O lineman we will get in the 1st round next year.

ZERO chance they select an offensive lineman in the first round next year. Kalil and Loadholt are under contract and they wont take an interior lineman in the first round with so many other needs.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wouldnt say zero.

Kalil would be a perfect fit at a guard spot. His size and the way he plays. If we get a new O line coach that sees this in him, it could happen...

Not to mention the fact that Rick has traded away our 1st pick every year so far. So trading down and taking a guard also isnt out of the realm of possibility...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt say zero.

Kalil would be a perfect fit at a guard spot. His size and the way he plays. If we get a new O line coach that sees this in him, it could happen...

Not to mention the fact that Rick has traded away our 1st pick every year so far. So trading down and taking a guard also isnt out of the realm of possibility...

Okay, I shouldn't have said zero, less than 1% is better. The Vikes will again probably end up in the 6 - 10 range in the draft, even if they trade down there just isn't anyone available that really stands out at the tackle position to draft in the 6 - 15 range. I would think they go defense... DE, safety, ILB or maybe receiver or running back.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I dont know that they NEED to draft a tackle.

They have Richardson yet you know. And Yankey. 2 highly rated guys coming out of school. Tiny went undrafted because of his knees. They tried to fix that. Next year will tell if it worked. And Im dying to see what Yankey can do (yes, I know hes a guard).

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I just hope they don't take an O lineman in the 1st round, I just don't see a can't miss where they will be picking.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I just hope they don't take an O lineman in the 1st round, I just don't see a can't miss where they will be picking.

Ah, the life of a true Vikings fan... already talking about next years draft midway through the season. *sigh* :gaah:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This year's draft might be the poorest interior OL draft of the last decade. There isn't a guard (or a center) that is going to be worth a 1st round pick when all is said and done (unless some team takes a OT and plans to convert).

I'm not even sure a OG will get taken in the first 50 picks when all is said and done.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the big money contract that Spielman handed Fusco (for god knows what reason). That means we only have one spot along the entire OL to fill assuming they don't resign Johnson. I too doubt they use an early pick to fill that one spot considering how much we have already invested at that position group.

It's what sucks so bad about the performance so far this year. Our OL in terms of cash and draft picks is one of the most expensive OL's in all of football already. My guess is Spielman chalks it up to a fluke and hopes for better next season.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding?

You think Ponder is a better option? Do you still have delusions that this is a playoff team?

This is Bridgewater's year to look terrible and learn the ropes in hopes that his struggles this year lead to success in the future. Sitting him at this point isn't even an option.

1) We have a QB that won't be in the league next year behind him in Ponder.
2) He's a rookie playing on a team in turmoil offensively because of injuries, suspension and poor play (OL). He should look bad.

No. I don't think Ponder is better, nor do I have delusions of playoffs (if you've read any of the previous posts).

I was thinking more about protecting him due to our O-line issues. What do you want him to learn? Why risk him falling into the same issues as Ponder? Happy feet and not being able to run through the check-downs?

While he was only sacked once, he was still hit or hurried 20+ times yesterday. Any other team, and we probably don't get the win, and his numbers aren't as good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes down to it, the decision to sit him was all about money. They are paying him a shit ton to stay home, but they were going to lose a lot of sponsorship dollars if they didn't sit him. Now, with how badly they are losing, it might end up that sitting him was unwise even strictly from a financial standpoint. It'd be one thing if they were even still a decent team, but they quickly became a league joke after AP went out. People say he won't play as a Viking ever again, but the fact that they are willing to keep him on the roster as the most highly paid RB in the league while sitting suggests that they either want him back at some point or are hoping to eventually trade him, which they wouldn't get shit for him now anyway.

They won't be able to trade him. The fact that he is still on the roster has to do with the CBA and his contract. Sit him and pay him to keep the union out of it. If they cut him in the offseason (which is probable) his cap hit isn't so bad. If he's found guilty, he's still going to face league suspension.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
This year's draft might be the poorest interior OL draft of the last decade. There isn't a guard (or a center) that is going to be worth a 1st round pick when all is said and done (unless some team takes a OT and plans to convert).

I'm not even sure a OG will get taken in the first 50 picks when all is said and done.

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the big money contract that Spielman handed Fusco (for god knows what reason). That means we only have one spot along the entire OL to fill assuming they don't resign Johnson. I too doubt they use an early pick to fill that one spot considering how much we have already invested at that position group.

It's what sucks so bad about the performance so far this year. Our OL in terms of cash and draft picks is one of the most expensive OL's in all of football already. My guess is Spielman chalks it up to a fluke and hopes for better next season.

This is the second season in a row that they have sucked. Let's just hope that they can get it together for the remainder of the season..

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
No. I don't think Ponder is better, nor do I have delusions of playoffs (if you've read any of the previous posts).

I was thinking more about protecting him due to our O-line issues. What do you want him to learn? Why risk him falling into the same issues as Ponder? Happy feet and not being able to run through the check-downs?

While he was only sacked once, he was still hit or hurried 20+ times yesterday. Any other team, and we probably don't get the win, and his numbers aren't as good.

I don't think there's any way you can sit him at this point. On the up-side, he handles the pressure pretty well. He'll stand in the pocket and fire the ball, even when he knows he's going to take a hit.
The offense isn't as far along as the defense, but now that they're at the halfway point, we should start seeing some of the offensive schemes clicking...:hope:

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there's any way you can sit him at this point. On the up-side, he handles the pressure pretty well. He'll stand in the pocket and fire the ball, even when he knows he's going to take a hit.
The offense isn't as far along as the defense, but now that they're at the halfway point, we should start seeing some of the offensive schemes clicking...:hope:

I think the Online definitely need to be upgraded. If the draft isn't a liable option, then there have to be a couple free agents out there who are a least slightly better than the clowns we've had playing O-line , or at least come in cheaper. That said, I really like what I'm seeing from the defense, and it's a reminder that Zimmer has only just begun his work in MN. I'm very eager to see what him and Turner can do after having a couple years to fully implement and get their players fluent with their schemes.

NorthernLights88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While the season has been disappointing in many ways, we're only midway through the season, and Zimmer, in his first year, is already just 2 games away from tying last season's record, without the face of the franchise, AP. This defense is looking like it could become very damn good after Zimmer has had it for a couple years. It looks like the D-line is finally starting to show some semblance of the glory days back in '08/'09.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well, before we start completely re-building the line, I think they need to take a serious look at what is available for coaches. I never cared for Davidson. I remember one of the news stations in town tracking him down in one of the sports bars in MoA and he was loaded, had been in town a few days. They asked him what he thought of his players. He didnt even know their names yet.

I have to say, I was stunned that Zim kept him. Im really hoping he corrects that mistake at the end of the year. But I would like to see what a new coach can do with what we have. Dont forget, we still have Yankey and Richardson waiting in the wings...