• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

US OPEN THREAD

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching/rooting for Isner is so frustrating. How do you allow Kohlschreiber to break your serve when you're up 6-5 in the 4th after breaking his serve?

James Blake is more frustrating, lol.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's awful. She is Ivanovic without a major. Since she got with that golfer her play went downhill

Ivanovic had a little more power and offense though, at one point. That was the difference between her FO SF match vs. Jankovic in 2008. As well as her other deep runs in other majors.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one competitve singles match on Ashe today.

BTW since when are men doubles best of 3? I thought they were best of 5 at GS events?

It's only a best of 5 at Wimbledon. I don't like doubles being best of 5's anyways, it's too long.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Blake is more frustrating, lol.

Why was Blake frustrating? He exceeded his potential. Not sure how anybody expected him to do more than he did. If every American maximized their potential like he did, I'd be happy. Instead, we have players like Sock and Harrison who pretty obviously don't put the hard work in off the court. I never expect a lot off Isner, either. Getting near the top 10 is a pretty nice accomplishment for him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These were my predictions (I think I've been pretty bad since the 2009 Wimbledon):

+++++++++++++

MEN's Draw:

Djokovic's Quarter:

Tommy Haas has a tricky draw, but if he could get to the 4th round and meet Del Potro, that could be a good match. I'd pick Del Potro in 3, just too much power, but hopefully it's a nice match.

Djokovic-Del Potro QF: Djokovic has been to the last 3 USO Finals, and 4 overall. Del Potro will beat Djokovic at a major at some point, he's too good not to. I still have to give Djokovic the edge based on all the success he's had here. Djokovic in 4.

Murray's Quarter:

Wawrinka has a tricky draw early, but if he can get through and meet Berdych in the 4th round, that should be a great match. I'll go with Wawrinka in 4, but that could go either way.

Murray-Wawrinka QF: Two similar styles, and Wawrinka has beaten Murray a major before, and played him tough at Wimbledon in 2009 also. Murray's improved forehand should make the difference, I'll go with Murray in 4. I hope this is a great match.

Jerzy Janowicz's Quarter:

David Ferrer is the highest seed here, but he hasn't played as well since the French Open.

Jerzy Janowicz has been playing pretty well the past few months.

I could also see Tipsarevic coming out of this quarter.

I hope Janowicz-Tipsarevic is a good 3rd round match. Whoever wins that, should win whatever 4th round opponent they face, and come out of the quarter. I'll pick Tipsarevic, because I want to root for him. Tipsarevic in 3.

Nadal's Quarter:

Every match for FED is a struggle right now IMO. I could see someone like Robin Haase or Robredo taking him out. I'll be optimistic though and pick him to get to the QF.

Isner-Nadal 4th round: Must see IMO. Isner has to find a way to break Nadal, or top players in general. Can't rely on tiebreaks. I hope Isner wins, but I'll go with Nadal in 5.

Nadal-FED QF: If this is a competitive 4 set match, I'll be satisfied. FED can only win in 5 sets, while Nadal can win in any number of sets. I'll go with Nadal in 4.

Djokovic-Murray SF: Djokovic is better on this surface. Not much separates these players, wouldn't be surprised at any outcome. There is no way this is only a 3 set match though, lol.

Murray has to prove he can repeat a major.

Djokovic in 4.

Tipsarevic-Nadal SF:

Nadal is 3-0 head-to-head with all of these being blowouts. Not a good matchup. Nadal seems to play very well against one-handed backhand players (Wawrinka, Federer, Tipsarevic, Gasquet, Haas). Well he plays well against a lot of players, haha, but I mean Nadal really blows these guys out.

I'd hope for a good match, but have to go with Nadal in 3.

Djokovic-Nadal Finals: Djokovic in 4, I just like his game more in this matchup.

Women's Draw:

Serena's Quarter:

It would be nice if Venus could get to the QF, but every match is a struggle for Venus. I'll make a prediction on that if we get to it, but for now Serena gets through this quarter without dropping a set.

Li's Quarter: Radwanska is the highest seed, but I like Li's game a little more. Li has the shakier serve. If she serves ok against Radwanska in the QF, she should win in 2.

Kuznetsova's Quarter:

I have no idea who's going to come out of this quarter. Errani did well early in the year, but her game doesn't jump out, she's just a steady player.

Kuznetsova can't be counted on from round to round, but I'd rather pick her.

If Wozniacki meets Kuznetsova in the QF, I'd pick Wozniacki in 2, but Wozniacki could easily lose before then.

So I'll just pick Kuznetsova.

Azarenka's Quarter:

Kvitova-Stosur could be a good 4th round if Stosur could make it that far. I'd pick Stosur in 2.

Stosur-Azarenka QF: Again, if Stosur makes it that far, I'll say she's playing well, and would pick her in 2, but it should be a great match.

I don't think Stosur would make it this far though, so I'll pick Azarenka to win whomever else she faces in the QF.

Serena-Li SF: Li is going to beat Serena at a major at some point. She's too good not to. I guess I'll pick Li to do it now. Li in 3.

Kuznetsova vs Azarenka or Stosur SF: I'll go with Azarenka or Stosur in 2.

Li vs. Azarenka Finals: I like Li on this faster surface. But she has to serve well, can't give Azarenka double faults.

Li vs. Stosur Finals: Stosur is 6-0 but they've never played at a major, and most of their matches were early round matches.

Stosur's kick serve though is a game-changer, nothing else really like it.

I think I'll pick Li again. I'm conflicted though, because I both want to see Stosur win another major, and see Li win a hardcourt major, which is her best surface (maybe grass is too).

So with the way I did my predictions, Li comes out the winner. But I could easily see Serena or Azarenka winning this too, they're both very good.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it goes any more than 4 sets, Fed loses against Rafa. He can only hit the backhand up around his ears from the 4300 RPM spin that Nadal hits over there for a set or two at most. It's just a terrible matchup. I agree that it will most likely be Nadal in 4, though.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why was Blake frustrating? He exceeded his potential. Not sure how anybody expected him to do more than he did. If every American maximized their potential like he did, I'd be happy. Instead, we have players like Sock and Harrison who pretty obviously don't put the hard work in off the court. I never expect a lot off Isner, either. Getting near the top 10 is a pretty nice accomplishment for him.

Blake was frustrating because while he would try to go for winners early, there were some matches where he couldn't keep the ball in play and the errors would line up.

I also recall a few tiebreaks where he had 4-1 or 5-0 leads, and would lose. Earlier in his career.

Brad Gilbert compared him to a pitcher who has only one way to play, and no plan B.

Isner, I feel competes better. Gets blown out in sets less. Although it's also his fault for having some long sets by having a poor break % too.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they're moving Fed to Armstrong tonight.....Great night for those who doesn't have access to Ashe to see the greatest.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they're moving Fed to Armstrong tonight.....Great night for those who doesn't have access to Ashe to see the greatest.

Fed will be coming on right now.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are downplaying what Isner accomplished. He was never even a top 15 junior in his own class in the US. , and he climbed to the top 10 in the world. It's pretty unprecedented to be honest. Anybody who finds Isner frustrating or underachieving really doesn't understand how far he's come.

And FWIW, i'm not giving up on Jack Sock. He hasn't been able to stay healthy and conditioned for long enough to make a consistent run on the tour. He has plenty of time to figure it out, as he is still only 20. I think he has the desire to get better.

I've never believed in Harrison. He seems like DY in the fact that he is a mental midget who wants to blame his losses when he moves up in competition off of problems between his head instead of realizing his strokes are the problem. And unlike DY, who is a slight, slight man, Harrison has enough muscle mass and size to hit big. He just chooses not to.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it goes any more than 4 sets, Fed loses against Rafa. He can only hit the backhand up around his ears from the 4300 RPM spin that Nadal hits over there for a set or two at most. It's just a terrible matchup. I agree that it will most likely be Nadal in 4, though.

In general, I agree with you. FED does better against Nadal early in matches, and it is a bad matchup.

Nadal also eats other one-handed bh players like Wawrinka, Haas, and Gasquet. I haven't seen a competitive match from the latter, against Nadal, in the past 1-2 years.

I think my thinking was, when I made my post, was that FED can't win an easy match against Nadal, while Nadal can win easily or a tough match. So if FED were to win, I was thinking it would be a long match. Other than their matchups indoors in London, and the Indian Wells match in 2012, I don't think he's won easily recently. Well, those are about his only wins since Madrid 2009, after Nadal played a long match vs Djokovic in the SF in which there were a combined 5 match points.

Federer?Nadal rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yeah, my thinking was that FED is unlikely to have an easy win, only a hard win. In a best of 5, the odds are too great that Nadal will make it a long match.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake was frustrating because while he would try to go for winners early, there were some matches where he couldn't keep the ball in play and the errors would line up.

I also recall a few tiebreaks where he had 4-1 or 5-0 leads, and would lose. Earlier in his career.

Brad Gilbert compared him to a pitcher who has only one way to play, and no plan B.

Isner, I feel competes better. Gets blown out in sets less. Although it's also his fault for having some long sets by having a poor break % too.

Blake had no micourt/transition or net game, and when he tried to work on those (plan b, as you say) and develop them to extend rallies, he ended up losing much worse and more often. He had speed and a forehand, and it was his best destiny to try to blast winners with the forehand. With that mindset, he accomplished more than anybody would have thought possible. Good for him.

Isner can "compete" well all he wants. He's a good guy and has worked hard lately, but he's never been a thread to make week 2 of majors consistently, and he never will be. He's made it past the 4th round of a major once in his life. Not sure how anybody is ever surprised when he loses early.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to watch Tipsarevic-Ferrer, especially if Tipsarevic can win.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are downplaying what Isner accomplished....

He accomplished a QF once in his career. He made the 2nd week of a major 3 times in his career.

I'm downplaying nothing, just stating facts.

And I said nothing about Isner underachieving, so don't tell lies. If anything, he's overachieved.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What court?

BTW I hope CBS Sports are smart enough to extend their coverage until 7

He's on Armstrong. I'm watching on DirecTV channel 705. He and Robredo are warming up right now.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to watch Tipsarevic-Ferrer, especially if Tipsarevic can win.

Tipsarevic just broke Ferrer. He's serving for the set. I don't care who wins that match at all since they're basically the same player. Whoever gets through will be a non-factor in the tournament, I think.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general, I agree with you. FED does better against Nadal early in matches, and it is a bad matchup.

Nadal also eats other one-handed bh players like Wawrinka, Haas, and Gasquet. I haven't seen a competitive match from the latter, against Nadal, in the past 1-2 years.

I think my thinking was, when I made my post, was that FED can't win an easy match against Nadal, while Nadal can win easily or a tough match. So if FED were to win, I was thinking it would be a long match. Other than their matchups indoors in London, and the Indian Wells match in 2012, I don't think he's won easily recently. Well, those are about his only wins since Madrid 2009, after Nadal played a long match vs Djokovic in the SF in which there were a combined 5 match points.

Federer?Nadal rivalry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But yeah, my thinking was that FED is unlikely to have an easy win, only a hard win. In a best of 5, the odds are too great that Nadal will make it a long match.

Yeah, I don't see Fed beating Rafa in a best of 5 match ever again. He would need to win in straight sets in best of 3 to beat him again. He just can't keep up the backhand for anymore than that. I don't think anybody with a 1 hander could, honestly. And it's Fed's weakest shot by far. Terrible matchup.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big break by Ferrer to even the first set at 5--5