• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp 2014

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is DT Nick Fairley truly demoted to 2nd team

or is this just another motivational tactic Mayhew has demanded from Caldwell ?

Nick Fairley on second team, Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell says - ESPN

snippets from the article;

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- A week ago, Detroit Lions coach Jim Caldwell said not to read too much into the fact that Nick Fairley wasn't working with the starters during practice.

Now, he's declaring that Fairley, the defensive tackle who was Detroit's first-round pick in 2011, is definitively working with the second team.

"If you're asking me whether or not Fairley is going to be a starter, he's not starting right now," Caldwell said Monday. "He's second team.

"But the rest of it, we'll look. It's a long week. We've got a lot of work to do in between and typically like most games, we'll take a look at where we are and make an assessment on that toward the end of the week."

Fairley started the first preseason game against Cleveland but was demoted last week in favor of 10-year veteran C.J. Mosley. Fairley played 15 snaps against Oakland on Friday night, the fewest of any Lions defensive tackle. In those snaps, he made one tackle but was often pushed off the ball.

On Monday, he was not in the Detroit locker room during media access.

Last edited by a moderator:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually think Mayhew made right move not giving the option. You can question if Mayhew was wrong in drafting him.

It seems this kid was going to fizzle out no matter where he was taken. You can't coach up lazy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Mayhew is coaching the team, but I like this move. Last year, my eyes told me that C.J. Mosley was around the ball making plays. Fairley plays when he feels like it. I'd rather see Mosley in there.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that Mayhew is coaching the team, but I like this move. Last year, my eyes told me that C.J. Mosley was around the ball making plays. Fairley plays when he feels like it. I'd rather see Mosley in there.

Mosley did real well in this last game too. Still, Fairly has more upside and if somehow he got his act together he would be something. Its all up to him really.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mosley did real well in this last game too. Still, Fairly has more upside and if somehow he got his act together he would be something. Its all up to him really.

I agree that he has more talent but he has no heart.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion said:

all true butttttttt he's been a lazy ass mo fo since H.S.... I highly doubt he'll change now. he's had 3 years in the pro's to get his act together and the ultimate slap in his face by Mayhew turning down that 5th yr option. everything i've read to date is that he's typical Fairley, on-again off-again during practice and games.

maybe he needs a change of scenery.....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He might have been better as coach than a GM

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhhh Ohhhh, someone isn't going to like this

Lions Center Dominic Raiola is named, by NFL.com, as pre-season All-Pro (and not Suh)
Detroit Lions' Dominic Raiola (and not Ndamukong Suh) named preseason All-Pro by NFL.com | MLive.com

Lions rookie Nevin Lawson ranked 2nd best special teams player of the pre-season, by PFF.
Aggressive Detroit Lions rookie Nevin Lawson trying to adjust to stricter NFL rules | MLive.com

BB_72 I'm glad to see Raiola get some credit after re-dedicating himself to a better and tougher off-season conditioning program since Jan 2013.

Also, good to see a Lions CB (a rookie by the way) getting some positve reactions.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BB_72 I'm glad to see Raiola get some credit after re-dedicating himself to a better and tougher off-season conditioning program since Jan 2013.

Let get this straight... Are you saying a player refined his craft by himself. No special diet, coaching or special babying from management?

So it ain't so Big Blue. I always thought it is a GM's fault if a guy has pride and heart or not.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Factually, Raiola re-hired a former personal conditioning coach in Jan 2013 when he got back to his homeland of Hawaii. It was the same guy who he trained with in his H.S. senior year and college (off-season) + 1st couple of years at the pro-level.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gandydancer said:
He might have been better as coach than a GM

not as a position coach "SAY CB's :pound:

I really did catch the sarcasm is this 1, I swear I did :suds: