• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2021 Training Camp

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are now 1 week from players report to training camp. I think the Broncos likely have one of the most talented rosters, but the QB position will be what determines the direction of our season. I am hoping Lock takes the job and runs with it as he has the physical tools to be a very good NFL QB. Bridgewater is probably the more consistent choice but with more limited upside. If the offense scores 24 points they likely win almost every game.

The defense should be very good as long as the offense can play complimentary football and the defense can force a few turnovers the playoffs are well within reach.

I am excited to see what this team can be. I feel they are so close to be really, really good. Just need better QB play.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion of each position group:
Offesne:
QB: Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater, and Brett Rypien - Lock has the most upside, and has tools, too many turnovers so far in his career. Bridgewater is Mr. steady and consistent, you will know what you get. Brett Rypien is a career backup. Lock has the potential be an above average QB, but he has to limit the turnovers. NFL Position rank - below average.

RB: Melvin Gordon, Javonte Williams, Mike Boone, and Royce Freeman - Melvin Gordon averaged 4.6 yards per carry last year, but 4 fumbles is too many. Javonte Williams is a physical runner and is in the perfect position to get experinece to be ready to be the guy end of the 2021 or in 2022. Mike Boone good depth guy that adds value in special teams. Royce Freeman is under rated, reminds me a lot of Booker, didn't get a lot of opportunity but did produce when he had a chance. All these guys can catch the ball to add another way to contribue. I think this could be one of the top running back groups in the NFL, they will need the offense to limit the turnovers and be efficient.

WR: Courtland Sutton, Jerry Juedy, KJ Hamler, and Tim Patrick - Courtland Sutton will need to get over the torn ACL and may be slow to start the season. When healthy he is a difference maker that teams have to gameplan for. Juedy is absolutely ridiculous and has the potential to be a game breaker, he has to shake off the drops from last year. Hamler is a guy that has the speed to take the top off the defense, but has to stay healthy. Hamler is not a DeShawn Jackson type that is strickly a deep threat. Tim Patrick had a very good year last year and adds value on special teams. Might be the deepest WR group in the NFL (Not well versed in other teams depth at this point), the potentail is there to be a top 10 position group bue some questions have to be answered first.

TE: Noah Fant, Albert Okwuegbunam, Andrew Beck, Eric Saubert - Fant has potential to be an elite TE, and is moving in that direction. Albert O. is more of a recieving TE at this point, but not the most skillled blocker yet. Albert has to over come his own ACL injury, and may not be ready to start the season. Beck is the FB that can fill in at TE in a pinch. Suabert is a blocking TE (I think). The top 2 will make or break the postiion group, and I think the arrow is pointing up. Above average group in the NFL.

Oline: Garrett Bolles, Dalton Risner, Lloyd Cushenberry III, Quinn Minerz, Graham Glasgow, Natane Muti, Calvin Anderson, Bobby Massie, and Camron Flemming - Bolles reserected his career last year, and we need that level of play to continue. Risner was very good as a rookie, but seemed to take a step back last year. Cushenberry and Minerz will battle for the starting C and we need improved play at C by whoever wins the starting spot. Glasgow was a bit disappointing to me last year adn will be pushed by Muti IMHO. Right Tackle needs someone and they need to play at an above average level with the pass rushers in the AFC West. The Oline is above average but have some big questions at C and RT.

Defense:
Dline: Shelby Harris, Mike Purcell, Dre'Mont Jones, McTelvin Agim, DeShawn Williams, Shamr Stephen - Shelby is a guy that affects the short quick passing game with all his batted balls, need some of these deflections to end up in turnovers. Mike Purcell is a difference maker in the run defesne, it is way better when he is in there then when is out. Jones is a potential stud, and should be ready to burst on the scene. Agim is improving and should be in the rotation, hope he takes the next step. Williams really impressed me last year and should be a contributor this year. Stephen is another big body that could provide depth for run defense. The starters are top 10 in the NFL in my opinion, over all the group is above average with upside.

LB: Von Miller Malik Reed, Josey Jewell, Alexander Johnson, Justin Strnad, Bradley Chubb, Jonathan Cooper - Von has to get back to 100% and get back to him old self. Malik Reed is a nice rotational guy that may have additional upside. Jewell played pretty well last year, but fans seem to look to repalce him. Alexander Johnson plays well downhill, but needs to improve coverage adn playing in space. Justin Strnad was doing well last year in camp until a wrist injury ended his season, looking forward to seeing what he can bring this year. Chubb has a foot issue, but appears ready to to take the torch from Von as the lead pass rusher. Cooper can hopefully be a rotational peice. OLB starters maybe the best pass rushers in the NFL. ILBs have to show improvement, and depth has more questions the proven ability. I would rate this group as above average in the NFL.

CB: Kyle Fuller, Patrick Surtain II, Bryce Callahan, Ronald Darby, Michael Ojemudia, Essang Bassey - Fuller is an absolute steal, will be the #1 CB. Surtain II was a star of the offseason, we will find out what he has in training camp. Callahan was our best CB last year, but didn't play every game, he will return to the slot. Darby played really well last year in Washington, but might be hard pressed to see the field much in 2021. Ojemudia was up and down last year. Essang Bassey was good in before getting injuried, probably not ready to start the season, but can provide depth later in the year if there are injuries. This CB group is ridiculous, and I think probably the top 3 in the NFL.

S: Justin Simmons, Kareem Jackson, Caden Sterns, Jamar Johnson - Simmons is on of the best S in the NFL. Jackson is getting older, but shoudl be good for another year. Sterns and Johnson are rookies that will have to develop quickly in case of any injuries. Starters are very good, with unproven depth. I would rate the position group as above average.

It is time to start getting excited as this is the time of year that all teams have hope, and we should be no different.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NFL network’s Cynthia Frelund:
One of my favorite notes on Jeudy is his burst speed: His first 3 yards traveled off the line of scrimmage ranked seventh-fastest in the NFL last season, as measured by my computer vision. NGS shows that he only aligned wide on 40.9 percent of plays in Weeks 1-8, but that number skyrocketed to 89.2 percent in Weeks 9-17. In the wide alignment, he averaged 18.6 yards per reception and scored three touchdowns. Compare that to 12 yards per reception and zero scores from the slot. With Courtland Sutton's return and improved play from the QB position, Jeudy's burst and route-running potential forecast to increase dramatically, especially when running routes from the wide alignment.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamar Johnson and Kary Vincent Jr to the Reserve COVID-19 list.

I look forward to the day that this list can be retired.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing S Tedric Thompson caught my eye. Former CU Buff - is a ball hawk - who will split a gut for you. Tall with long arms.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TC live on now
you can find it on FB or youtube

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I;m watching on my phone on the Broncos 365 app

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking NEWS!!! Mark Schlereth just stated that Von Miller looks like Von Miller..... What great camp analysis!!!!

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NFL network’s Cynthia Frelund:
One of my favorite notes on Jeudy is his burst speed: His first 3 yards traveled off the line of scrimmage ranked seventh-fastest in the NFL last season, as measured by my computer vision. NGS shows that he only aligned wide on 40.9 percent of plays in Weeks 1-8, but that number skyrocketed to 89.2 percent in Weeks 9-17. In the wide alignment, he averaged 18.6 yards per reception and scored three touchdowns. Compare that to 12 yards per reception and zero scores from the slot. With Courtland Sutton's return and improved play from the QB position, Jeudy's burst and route-running potential forecast to increase dramatically, especially when running routes from the wide alignment.
Good stuff

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From media reports it looks like a draw on today's QB competition with Lock hitting on some bigger plays and Teddy being consistent. Isn't that the give and take of each QB that we already knew about?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From media reports it looks like a draw on today's QB competition with Lock hitting on some bigger plays and Teddy being consistent. Isn't that the give and take of each QB that we already knew about?
Yes - same - same and it won't change over time. The more Lock plays takes Sutton in the Over and if Bridgewater plays take Jeudy in the Over.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notes from The Athletic - if you don’t subscribe it’s one of the few pay sites I think is worth it. Let me know if you want a free month sample.

Everyone talks about being focused and controlling what you can control. My idea is to just come out with high energy every single day, focus on me and make plays when they are there,” Lock said. “I’ll congratulate Teddy when he makes a good play, and we’ll talk about it when he makes a bad play or I make a bad play. It’s just about getting better every day, staying in my lane and helping this team get better every single day. The main goal, besides this competition, is for us to start winning games here.”

The battle between Lock and Bridgewater was never going to be won or lost on the first day of camp, even if there was a wide gulf between their performances. And there wasn’t. The opening act of a battle that could stretch four weeks could be best described as a feeling-out period.

Lock showed off his strong right arm on two touchdown passes up the seam, the first to Trinity Benson and the second to Jerry Jeudy. He also held the ball too long on a handful of scramble plays, resulting in would-be sacks (one by Von Miller) or minimal-yardage runs. Bridgewater was the more accurate, if more measured quarterback, completing eight of nine passes during team drills that were mostly in short to intermediate windows. His lone incompletion came when he fired into the end zone early in practice, lofting the pass just over the fingertips of second-year wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland. Neither quarterback committed a turnover.

Bridgewater was solid, consistent, selective in the chances he took — a microcosm of the player he has been for most of his 20 games as a starter the past two seasons. Lock showed more pop with his arm, but he missed on a couple of hittable throws. That included a short out route he threw behind Courtland Sutton, who wore a brace over his right knee while participating in his first team drills since suffering an ACL tear last September.

“I’d prefer to watch the tape first to give you a better answer, but from my point of view out there I thought they both did well,” Broncos coach Vic Fangio said of Lock and Bridgewater.

Lock said his goal for this training camp — aside from winning the starting job — is to strike a balance between being the smarter quarterback he has worked all offseason to become and the “gunslinger” capable of turning something into nothing, which partly explained some of the choices he made not to fire under pressure Wednesday.

“I do know better now when to check it down, when to get the 3 yards, 5 yards,” Lock said. “That has obviously been stressed to me in the building. The gunslinger mentality can still be there, but it has to be a calculated gunslinger rather than just a sprayer. That’s absolutely different this year.”

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos are going to final vault into league-average territory on offense after five seasons hovering near the basement, they’ll need to see a leap from second-year wide receivers Jerry Jeudy and KJ Hamler. If the opening day of training camp was any indication, they could be well on their way.

Hamler, who missed much of the spring workout period nursing a hamstring injury, caught a 35-yard touchdown pass from third-string quarterback Brett Rypien, coasting past two defensive backs on an out route to the pylon. He made two other receptions on throws from Bridgewater after finding space in the middle of the field.

Hamler, a second-round pick out of Penn State last year, had 30 receptions for 381 yards and three touchdowns in 13 games as a rookie in 2020. He missed three games because of a hamstring injury he suffered during camp last year, the same issue that popped up during OTAs. Health remains a priority for the speedy slot receiver, but Wednesday’s flashes — not to mention his two-touchdown performance in Week 14 against Bridgewater’s Panthers last season — demonstrated the stress he can put on a defense when he’s right physically. (Hamler was held out of the last series of practice after experiencing what Fangio described as a cramp.)

“If you’re under 10 yards, he’ll be able to shake you, be able to get open in man-to-man,” Lock said of Hamler. “When he gets into press situations, press man, he doesn’t shy away from that either. Most of the time when you get a semi-undersized guy, that’s one thing where they have a knock, that they can’t get off press, aren’t physical enough. KJ is super physical. When you get past the 10 yards, I don’t know that there are a lot of people who can really hang with him when he’s got the jets rolling and he’s 100 percent healthy. As long as we can keep him healthy, I think he’ll be big for us.”

There is perhaps no Broncos player who is entering this season with higher expectations than Jeudy, the No. 15 pick in the 2020 draft whose rookie season was defined its wave of peaks (five catches, 140 yards and a 92-yard score in Week 17) and valleys (six drops in Week 16). Coaches and teammates have raved about Jeudy’s work ethic, professionalism and mindset as he approaches Year 2. Then, there’s the obvious talent, which shined just as it had during his first training camp practice as a rookie.

Jeudy made his first catch of the day on a throw from Bridgewater, leaping up to snatch the ball out of midair in front of a closing defensive back. Then he shook loose with a devastating inside move and caught a scoring throw from Lock up the seam.

Broncos safety Justin Simmons had simple advice for anyone who has been watching Jeudy since the end of last season: Believe what your eyes are telling you.

“There’s no doubt in mind Jeudy can have an All-Pro, Pro Bowl-type season this year,” Simmons said. “He’s just that good. Everyone wanted to talk about what happened last year (12 drops), but I’m not even worried about it one bit. I’ve seen the work he’s been putting in during the offseason, saw what he did during OTAs. We only got a snippet of it today, having him snag passes out of midair way outside his body frame. That’s just the beginning. He’s going to be tremendous this year for us.”

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McCain will make the PS at CB…

Extra points​

• Pro Bowl pass rusher Bradley Chubb was held out of team drills during Wednesday’s practice, working out primarily on a side field. Chubb missed OTAs and minicamp as he rehabbed from offseason ankle surgery. He’s been fully cleared for camp, but Fangio said they’ll bring the fourth-year player along slowly while he regains his conditioning.

“It will probably be another couple days before we cut him loose,” Fangio said.

The Broncos were otherwise healthy on Day 1 of camp. Defensive backs Duke Dawson Jr. and Essang Bassey and rookie linebacker Baron Browning are currently on the PUP list and did rehab work on a side field, but all the other players on the active roster outside of Chubb participated in practice.

• Among those players participating was second-year tight end Albert Okwuegbunam, who wore a brace over the surgically repaired right knee he injured in November. Okwuegbunam had a limited snap count — Noah Fantand newcomer Eric Saubert were given most of the tight end reps — but his presence was nonetheless a positive development in his return from the ACL setback.

• Rookie cornerback Patrick Surtain II spent much of his first training camp practice lined up as the dime linebacker. It’s a role that was used during about 10 percent of Denver’s defensive plays last season, but it’s a look Fangio could call more often this season given his cornerback-rich personnel. Surtain certainly has the size to play the role effectively. At 6-foot-2, 202 pounds, he looked comfortable pressing tight ends as they came off the line of scrimmage.

“We played a good bit of dime today, as we did during OTAs, and we’ll continue to do that,” Fangio said.

• Benson, the third-year player out of East Central University (Okla.), scored the first touchdown of training camp after hauling in the well-thrown ball from Lock. He then caught another touchdown pass from Rypien later in practice, an impressive start for a roster long shot trying to grab one of the final receiver spots.

“Trinity is fast, has always had good speed, and he’s getting more polished as a receiver,” Fangio said. “Trinity can run, is bearing the fruit of being here and being on the practice squad and developing. He’s in the hunt.”

• The lone pass breakup during a day of efficient passing was produced by Mac McCain III, an undrafted cornerback out of North Carolina A&T. It was a similar play — breaking late on a pass and swatting it away just before it hit the hands of its intended target — to the one he made during mandatory minicamp. McCain later provided tight coverage on a deep pass from Rypien, resulting in an incompletion, though he did appear to be burned in coverage on Benson’s second touchdown reception.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first practice open to the public since 2019, the Broncos welcomed 874 fans who started the day with an over-the-head clap led by Miller. The Broncos’ All-Pro pass rusher said Tuesday that he recently had a dream about running onto the field and leading his trademark welcoming routine. At 9:23 a.m., there Miller was, smacking his hands together, a sense of normalcy returned.

• Don’t sleep on Mike Boone either. The free-agent running back acquired by the Broncos in March will likely find himself behind Melvin Gordon and prized rookie Javonte Williams on the depth chart, but during a 17-game season a third running back figures to have a decent role. Boone appeared fresh and explosive during his training camp practices, making two catches and peeling off a couple of runs that may have been significant — though no tackling, no pads and early whistles made evaluation of any run plays tricky.

• New Broncos general manager George Paton likes to make his evaluations up close. He intently watched every play of Wednesday’s practice from just to the side and behind the line of scrimmage, rarely moving from his spot during the team’s two-plus-hour workout.

• The quote of the day came from Bridgewater, who was asked after practice how he’s managed to stay positive the last several years as he’s bounced around the league, from the Vikings to the Jets to the Saints to the Panthers and now to the Broncos.

“I’m a survivor,” Bridgewater said. “You can throw me in the jungle and I’m going to come out with a fur coat and a headband that I made out of some leaves. It’s just about surviving at this point. Every day I have my fire that’s lit.”

With temperatures approaching 100 degrees Wednesday afternoon, Bridgewater was wise to leave the coat at home.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news Jake Butt has retired from the NFL. Fours years of stealing checks.