• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Seahawks Training Camp

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Penny will command that type of contract due to his injury history. I'd say resign him on a friendly contract but if so the FO doesn't have to waste a pick on RB. If another team wants to over pay, then so be it.
I agree with you that he won't command that type of money, but a team could look at his college tape and measurables and overpay for him if he stepped in and played really well. As much as I hope Penny plays incredibly well this year, I find it hard to see him on the team next year. We already have Carson under contract and if Penny has a good season, someone may pay him starting HB money and that's not something I think we should match.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, at 36 (in a few weeks), I'm ok if the Hawks don't bring Brown back after this year.
I'm not sure how I feel about the Duane Brown situation. He has played incredibly well with the Seahawks and it seems like tackles are able to play longer than they used to. I say the Seahawks should give him a new 2 year contract without too much guaranteed money. Per PFF's rankings, Duane Brown was the fifth best tackle in the NFL in 2020. Even given Brown's age, I can't imagine that he'd regress to the point where he's not at least an average level player by next year.

I also don't really know who would replace Brown next year. I liked the Stone Forsythe pick a lot, but he was drafted in the 6th round for a reason. I don't know how I'd feel going into next year with him being our LT.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, at 36 (in a few weeks), I'm ok if the Hawks don't bring Brown back after this year.
That is all well and good but the problem is replacing him. Finding good OTs in this era is extremely hard as college rarely prepares them for the pro game. Other pro teams rarely let them go. We lucked out in trading for him a few years ago as Brown was one of the first to bail on Houston's horrible management, but I wouldn't count on that happening again.

I am all for finding our next LT but I don't know where they will come from. Even if we do spend draft capital on an LT, it would be good to keep Brown around for a bit to mentor.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't be the only one getting irritated about Russ's complaining about the offensive line. He had the best pass protection of his career in 2020, and many of the sacks he takes are self inflicted.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you that he won't command that type of money, but a team could look at his college tape and measurables and overpay for him if he stepped in and played really well. As much as I hope Penny plays incredibly well this year, I find it hard to see him on the team next year. We already have Carson under contract and if Penny has a good season, someone may pay him starting HB money and that's not something I think we should match.
Agreed! I'd rather go back into the middle of the draft and find Penny's replacement if some team is foolish enough to pony up serious coin.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can just sit out then. We can’t have a large amount of money tied up into safeties
We currently have $13 million in cap space. That should be plenty of room to work in deals for both Brown and Diggs. If they want they could front load deals to avoid tying up too much cap in the future.

Of course this could all change if they sign Atkins or even Wright (which now seems unlikely).

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed! I'd rather go back into the middle of the draft and find Penny's replacement if some team is foolish enough to pony up serious coin.
I'm not convinced that Penny even makes the team this year. From his limited preseason carries so far he hasn't been productive enough to guarantee a roster spot imo.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that Penny even makes the team this year. From his limited preseason carries so far he hasn't been productive enough to guarantee a roster spot imo.
I would be shocked if he's not on the roster and the first RB off the bench. Teams are limiting work for starters and key depth players, so if anything his limited touches indicate the Seahawks feel he's a lock for the roster.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say Collins looked good but Penny be on the team because of Carson's history injury.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it is still admitably a big longshot but Collins' performance in yesterdays game makes it a realistic option. The announcers started out by fluffing up Penny but everyone saw Collins making quick decisions and defenders miss with nasty juke moves. He destroyed the D.

So my "most likely won't happen, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if he wasn't on the team" pick remains Penny. The fact is that I would rather have Collins as the #2 back at this point, and maybe they can get a pick for Penny?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to point out that our best D ever had a bunch tied up in safeties. That seemed to work out ok.

Actually when the money started going out to the safeties the defense started it's decline. It also was around the same time that many other guys got "paid" also like Bobby and Sherman and Wilson and Bennett on and on. Trying to "pay everyone" and "fielding" a good team is tough and it's not because the Cap is to low it's these players are making WAY MORE than they should. When really looking at it I feel NO PLAYER I don't care WHO YOU ARE should be making more than 20 million for a 17 game season ( 17 hours of on the field game work ). Players should then get a % of the NFLs profit, think of it like how actors/actresses get their salary then a %. Remember the NFL makes 15.6 billion PLUS every year. Thats the money it makes not the money they split up.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins looked great and made a case to be a often used #2. Carson will have to play some of his best ball and stay healthy to keep Collins in check with the attitude and running he showed in the game Saturday. That is the style Pete loves. He believes that a smash mouth running games just sucks the life out of a defense, opening up the rest of your playbook.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins has looked good this off season, still I can't see them giving up on Penny yet. It would cost them 2 million in dead money.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have to point out that our best D ever had a bunch tied up in safeties. That seemed to work out ok.
We also didn't have a huge contract with the QB at that time like we do now...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lamar Jackson just got cut. Do the hawks kick the tires to see if he could provide some CB depth?