• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Truth About QB Competitions

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't say? So you are in agreement with Garoppolo being part of the great NE QB lineage?

BTW...do you think that maybe you are overestimating how clever your schtick on here is???

Jackass 1: "How difficult was 5th grade for you?"

Jackass 2: "I'm not sure Money made it to 5th grade"

I mean really? You're calling my shit weak? That's just plain embarrassing.
Money says 5th grade was the four toughest years of my life.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe, who knows?

jimmy has potential to be a very, very good QB. highest guy bills ever drafted for a QB...theres a reason.

i wouldnt mind going from #1 drew, to brady, to jimmy...nice lineage.

You better hope, because at Brady's age and sitting out the first 4 weeks you need to be worried about his hamstrings. Good chance he won't make it through the season

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You better hope, because at Brady's age and sitting out the first 4 weeks you need to be worried about his hamstrings. Good chance he won't make it through the season
brady isnt a player who relies on his legs like hardy would ;)

hes a QB.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are no successful teams that have QB competitions. They dedicate everything to the starter and they improve them as they go. When Brett Favre first retired, GB stood behind Aaron Rodgers and locked out a Hall of Famer to stand behind their choice. Belichik did the same thing when Bledsoe went down. You name a starter and you stick with them. If you bring in 47 people and divide the reps and let bad games take away from the guys reps he'll never improve, you'll shatter his confidence and he'll fall apart. It's just stupidity.

How can coaches at the NFL level not know this?
Most teams want instant gratification and are unwilling to endure the growing pains of a QB so they are quick to make a change.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite Brady's skills deteriorating he still is very good in the Belichick offensive system.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes the highest drafted QB in the belichik era. how is it stupid to say "who knows? he has potential to be very good. i like the lineage of drew, then brady, then jimmy"

honest question...were you that kid who dropped his pants to his ankles to use a urinal?

Just kind of following this debate with Money...amusing.

If you're suggesting he has the potential to be very good...I buy that...probably 95% of all players drafted in the top 100 players have the potential to be very good.

But...the reality of the NFL says he probably will be an average player at best. Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, and of course Tom Brady...very rare breeds, you just don't get many very good QBs drafted outside of the top 32. Being drafted high obviously doesn't guarantee anything, but historically the top QBs are drafted higher than Jimmy.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just kind of following this debate with Money...amusing.

If you're suggesting he has the potential to be very good...I buy that...probably 95% of all players drafted in the top 100 players have the potential to be very good.

But...the reality of the NFL says he probably will be an average player at best. Russell Wilson, Tony Romo, and of course Tom Brady...very rare breeds, you just don't get many very good QBs drafted outside of the top 32. Being drafted high obviously doesn't guarantee anything, but historically the top QBs are drafted higher than Jimmy.

agreed.

i just like what ive seen so far is all.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed.

i just like what ive seen so far is all.

Given his working environment, the path to success should be pretty clear...BB is not going to let him fall on his face because he had too much on his plate...he should do fine in whatever stint he is given...I just hope game 1 is a rough one! LOL.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given his working environment, the path to success should be pretty clear...BB is not going to let him fall on his face because he had too much on his plate...he should do fine in whatever stint he is given...I just hope game 1 is a rough one! LOL.
of course you do ;)

i think jimmy, with a full camp as "the guy" for the first few weeks is going to do wonders for his game and confidence.

he can make plays with his legs, something we havent had since a young steve grogan or doug flutie. he makes bonehead rookie mistakes...holds the ball too long, takes sacks...but hes got something there.

this is the guy who shattered all of romos college records...not that that guarantees anything, but it happened.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe, who knows?

jimmy has potential to be a very, very good QB. highest guy bills ever drafted for a QB...theres a reason.

i wouldnt mind going from #1 drew, to brady, to jimmy...nice lineage.

I'm changing my screen name to Brady2GarpUjelly?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money says 5th grade was the four toughest years of my life.

I've never said that about you.

Or did you mean to use quotes...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never said that about you.

Or did you mean to use quotes...
Just like 5th grade most things went over your head and apparently still are. If I had quoted you, then I would've been misquoting you.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like 5th grade most things went over your head and apparently still are. If I had quoted you, then I would've been misquoting you.

Okay...well then no, I never said 5th grade was the four toughest years of your life. I would be embarrassed to say something that juvenile.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So back to my original point. You can make fun of other teams' QB situations all you want, but you might want to knock on wood. You've been very lucky as a fan to be able to root for one of the very best for so long. Your team will be entering the unknown sooner rather than later.

Ur kidding right Money? Of course they know what it will be like how could they forget the first 40 years of the Patriots existence? Lots of losing in the regular season and beating in the Super Bowl when thy make it. But they should be use to that as well having just lost 2.

Back to the Grogan years. lol

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you have...2 years of Brady left???
Why does that matter?

With the "system" they run in NE you could plug Rock in there and win at least 10 games a season.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Pete Carroll would disagree with your claim.

Would he REALLY, though? Pete went all in on Russ after week two of the preseason in his rookie year. I'm pretty sure that Flynn's days in Seattle were officially numbered at that point.

Carroll talks about "compete every day", and I'm sure he means it...for most positions. I don't know if QB is one of them. And that's not an indictment of him. Just a realpolitik situation all HCs have to deal with.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would he REALLY, though? Pete went all in on Russ after week two of the preseason in his rookie year. I'm pretty sure that Flynn's days in Seattle were officially numbered at that point.

Carroll talks about "compete every day", and I'm sure he means it...for most positions. I don't know if QB is one of them. And that's not an indictment of him. Just a realpolitik situation all HCs have to deal with.
It was a real competion for a while, until RW emerge to the front. After that the competion is reserved for positions that could use a upgrade.