• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

the options at QB next year

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok after looking at the options for a veteran qb here is what i have come up with based on rumors of who is available

first lets look at trades

Stafford 33 its unlikely the lions simply cut him because its a 34.5 mil cap hit (24.5 mil dead space largest in NFL history ) . if we traded for him he would be signed for 2 yrs costing us 56.5 mil in addition to CDC 's 10.8 mil dead space hit . however 13 mil will be offset because the that is what is left in the CDC balance that can be applied here . so if we traded for him it would cost us some picks . i am sure a first rounder will be asked for so maybe you can talk them into a 2nd and 3rd

Ryan 37 , his cap hit is 40 mil 41 mil and 36 mil in the upcoming yrs .. for the falcons cutting or trading him wouldnt make sense . they wont take a 63 mil dead space cap hit plus 3 mil on the cap hit side

wentz , there is speculation that wentz is on the outs in philly . in fact hurts is taking 1st team reps . however he has a dead cap space hit of 78 mil , yes 78 mil so cutting him wont happen . a trade would have to happen . the cap hit are as follows 34 , 31 36, 32 mil for 4 years . . so what do you trade for him if you do decide to go for it . ? add that 13 mil would be offset by cutting CDC but he adds 10 .8 in dead space

garrapolo his cap numbers are 26 27 , his dead space is 2.8 and 1.4 so the 49ers could cut him . the issue is they have no real option at qb . they would have to draft a qb next season . so he would be the least expensive option for us as far as the big contract guys go however we know his injury history

next the FA's
dak he will cost 35 t0 40 mil , he would solve it but will the cowboys sign him ? i dont think the injury is a deal breaker and cutting CDC puts 13 mill towards the tag but you get the 10.8 dead cap space hit

phil rivers , 39 , his contract this yr is for 25 mil . he would cost close to that . cutting CDC would knock off 13 mil of the expense but the 10.8 mil dead cap space is there

cam newton , 32 , knows the offense . he would cost about 8-10 mil ( current contract 8 mil ) cutting CDC would have the same numbers that apply so you would get 3 mil spending but the current 10.8 dead cap space would be in play . couple him with allen and DH and expense wise its doesnt hurt you but will the on field production be there ?

fitzmagic 39 yrs old journeyman he is strictly a place holder who you could get for 3-8 mil . we would be drafting a qb early if we did this

brisset 28 yrs old , career BU borderline starter i dont see him as our franchise guy . he is athletic and would cost in the 8-10 mil range is he is your starter

trubisky , 27 he could be a 3-4 mil guy . he has a career record of 26 -18 as a starter . he is mobile but is he a good passer ? well he has a career 63% passer , with 54 tds and 32 ints . he would be a gamble as a franchise qb

allen 24 yrs old is he a franchise qb ? he is a EFRA meaning the skins can pay him the minimum and keep him for next season at 631,000 . its a move i would make if you think he can be a decent game manager type qb . now he would command starter money in 22 if he works out and i would think you would have to cut DH . if he was to be paired with dak , CDC, trubisky, fitz, cam , rivers you could survive the cost and dead cap space plus draft a qb

DH 23 do you invest more time in him or do you move on ? i think he can be the answer but the professionals dont . RR ruined him in DC by not having faith in him on ALL fronts . now the numbers he costs 3.9 mil and 4.5 mil to keep him the next 2 yrs , ( not much ) his dead cap next yr is 8.5 mil . keeping allen over him doesnt hurt us much if you keep CDC . cutting both is 19 mil in dead space . keeping them both is about 29 mil in cap space . not a big deal if you draft a qb or keep allen

trades

darnold ,24 on rookie contract and the jets appear to be drafting lawrence . the question with darnold is , is he a crappy qb or do the jets suck so much it affects him. it will cost us a 2nd to find out . its a 17 mil dead cap hit for the jets . it will cost us 9.8 mil for a one yr try out then we would have to sign him .if he is good it could cost , if he sucks we are over and done with it

now lets look at CDC

he will be 37 . . hopefully he will finish out the season and give us a better determination of being able to hold up . . his salary is 24.4 next season and 26.4 in 22 . both are in line with the free agents we could get that are considered franchise qbs . you could keep allen , and DH/drafted guy and it doesnt chew up the cap . i dont know what we have in montez either . he has physical tools to play and play well but does he have the other intangibles needed ?

if we draft a qb we are looking at Lance ( raw but more mobile then DH ) wilson , a guy who processes fast and could be more like a smarter KC . we have mack jones who again processes well but does he have the arm strength ( i cant tell watching games ) and he is very accurate , and we have trask who also processes well but isnt as mobile .

lawrence and fields are unattainable at this point even if we gutted drafts to do so

so there are the options . how would you proceed ?

Last edited:

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option 1: My preferred route
Cut Alex Smith
Sign Allen for 631K
Draft Rookie
Have all 3 compete for starter

Option 2: Rivera wants AS to return
Keep AS
Keep Allen for 631K
Keep Haskins because there's literally no reason to trade him on a rookie deal
Draft Rookie

Have all four compete, cut loser

Option 3:
Wait for Darnold to get cut
Sign him for cheap
Keep AS (because RR wants him around)
Keep Haskins because there's literally no reason to trade him on a rookie deal
Keep Allen for 631K
Draft Rookie
Cut bottom 2 qbs when they suck

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok after looking at the options for a veteran qb here is what i have come up with based on rumors of who is available

first lets look at trades

Stafford 33 its unlikely the lions simply cut him because its a 34.5 mil cap hit (24.5 mil dead space largest in NFL history ) . if we traded for him he would be signed for 2 yrs costing us 56.5 mil in addition to CDC 's 10.8 mil dead space hit . however 13 mil will be offset because the that is what is left in the CDC balance that can be applied here . so if we traded for him it would cost us some picks . i am sure a first rounder will be asked for so maybe you can talk them into a 2nd and 3rd

Ryan 37 , his cap hit is 40 mil 41 mil and 36 mil in the upcoming yrs .. for the falcons cutting or trading him wouldnt make sense . they wont take a 63 mil dead space cap hit plus 3 mil on the cap hit side

wentz , there is speculation that wentz is on the outs in philly . in fact hurts is taking 1st team reps . however he has a dead cap space hit of 78 mil , yes 78 mil so cutting him wont happen . a trade would have to happen . the cap hit are as follows 34 , 31 36, 32 mil for 4 years . . so what do you trade for him if you do decide to go for it . ? add that 13 mil would be offset by cutting CDC but he adds 10 .8 in dead space

garrapolo his cap numbers are 26 27 , his dead space is 2.8 and 1.4 so the 49ers could cut him . the issue is they have no real option at qb . they would have to draft a qb next season . so he would be the least expensive option for us as far as the big contract guys go however we know his injury history

next the FA's
dak he will cost 35 t0 40 mil , he would solve it but will the cowboys sign him ? i dont think the injury is a deal breaker and cutting CDC puts 13 mill towards the tag but you get the 10.8 dead cap space hit

phil rivers , 39 , his contract this yr is for 25 mil . he would cost close to that . cutting CDC would knock off 13 mil of the expense but the 10.8 mil dead cap space is there

cam newton , 32 , knows the offense . he would cost about 8-10 mil ( current contract 8 mil ) cutting CDC would have the same numbers that apply so you would get 3 mil spending but the current 10.8 dead cap space would be in play . couple him with allen and DH and expense wise its doesnt hurt you but will the on field production be there ?

fitzmagic 39 yrs old journeyman he is strictly a place holder who you could get for 3-8 mil . we would be drafting a qb early if we did this

brisset 28 yrs old , career BU borderline starter i dont see him as our franchise guy . he is athletic and would cost in the 8-10 mil range is he is your starter

trubisky , 27 he could be a 3-4 mil guy . he has a career record of 26 -18 as a starter . he is mobile but is he a good passer ? well he has a career 63% passer , with 54 tds and 32 ints . he would be a gamble as a franchise qb

allen 24 yrs old is he a franchise qb ? he is a EFRA meaning the skins can pay him the minimum and keep him for next season at 631,000 . its a move i would make if you think he can be a decent game manager type qb . now he would command starter money in 22 if he works out and i would think you would have to cut DH . if he was to be paired with dak , CDC, trubisky, fitz, cam , rivers you could survive the cost and dead cap space plus draft a qb

DH 23 do you invest more time in him or do you move on ? i think he can be the answer but the professionals dont . RR ruined him in DC by not having faith in him on ALL fronts . now the numbers he costs 3.9 mil and 4.5 mil to keep him the next 2 yrs , ( not much ) his dead cap next yr is 8.5 mil . keeping allen over him doesnt hurt us much if you keep CDC . cutting both is 19 mil in dead space . keeping them both is about 29 mil in cap space . not a big deal if you draft a qb or keep allen

trades

darnold ,24 on rookie contract and the jets appear to be drafting lawrence . the question with darnold is , is he a crappy qb or do the jets suck so much it affects him. it will cost us a 2nd to find out . its a 17 mil dead cap hit for the jets . it will cost us 9.8 mil for a one yr try out then we would have to sign him .if he is good it could cost , if he sucks we are over and done with it

now lets look at CDC

he will be 37 . . hopefully he will finish out the season and give us a better determination of being able to hold up . . his salary is 24.4 next season and 26.4 in 22 . both are in line with the free agents we could get that are considered franchise qbs . you could keep allen , and DH/drafted guy and it doesnt chew up the cap . i dont know what we have in montez either . he has physical tools to play and play well but does he have the other intangibles needed ?

if we draft a qb we are looking at Lance ( raw but more mobile then DH ) wilson , a guy who processes fast and could be more like a smarter KC . we have mack jones who again processes well but does he have the arm strength ( i cant tell watching games ) and he is very accurate , and we have trask who also processes well but isnt as mobile .

lawrence and fields are unattainable at this point even if we gutted drafts to do so

so there are the options . how would you proceed ?

I think your trade numbers are way off. The teams that currently own the players still eat the dead cap space of signing bonuses and restructure bonuses (Maybe), unless the teams agree to something extra in the trade.

None of those QBs are worth a trade, except maybe Wentz. Wentz would cost the following 15.4/22/20/21 mil salaries, roster bonuses of 10m/1k/5m/5m, options 6 mil/year. So the cap hits would be 32.4/28/31/32 mil, according to spotrac.

I think you failed to consider the effect of COVID on FA contracts next season. I think you will see a rather large reduction in salary cap which will reduce contract values next season (down almost 23 million)...I expect a lot of one year contracts. The only one I am interested in is Dak, but I don’t think he will come close to 35-40 mil. I see him at 25-30 mil.

Hell no to trading for Darnold.

We should roll with Alex Smith/Kyle Allen, Dwayne Haskins and consider a QB in the draft depending on what is available at our undetermined spot between 5 and 20.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think your trade numbers are way off. The teams that currently own the players still eat the dead cap space of signing bonuses and restructure bonuses (Maybe), unless the teams agree to something extra in the trade.

None of those QBs are worth a trade, except maybe Wentz. Wentz would cost the following 15.4/22/20/21 mil salaries, roster bonuses of 10m/1k/5m/5m, options 6 mil/year. So the cap hits would be 32.4/28/31/32 mil, according to spotrac.

I think you failed to consider the effect of COVID on FA contracts next season. I think you will see a rather large reduction in salary cap which will reduce contract values next season (down almost 23 million)...I expect a lot of one year contracts. The only one I am interested in is Dak, but I don’t think he will come close to 35-40 mil. I see him at 25-30 mil.

Hell no to trading for Darnold.

We should roll with Alex Smith/Kyle Allen, Dwayne Haskins and consider a QB in the draft depending on what is available at our undetermined spot between 5 and 20.
those numbers are their current contract numbers which we take over for if that is what you are talking about . CDC's contract and dead cap are from sportstrac

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want anyone on the list.

Choose between DH and Allen, keep Smith, draft the QB you like in the 1st at whatever position we end up at. If you aren't in love with one of them wait until a later round.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost feel a hit on a Middle LB is more important than a QB pick at this point in time. Might change with more games. Sticking with my 2nd to third round QB pick... and maybe that’s replaced with a developing DH.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't want anyone on the list.

Choose between DH and Allen, keep Smith, draft the QB you like in the 1st at whatever position we end up at. If you aren't in love with one of them wait until a later round.
I put everything up that I thought was “ viable “

My belief is you keep CDC , choose between Allen and DH. And then draft a guy , or we could stand pat with what we have

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what about the QB behind Herbert who lost the starting job due to the punctured lung. How would he fit into our scheme? Would he be available as a possible FA? Anyone know?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put everything up that I thought was “ viable “

My belief is you keep CDC , choose between Allen and DH. And then draft a guy , or we could stand pat with what we have
You did a great job. Was just expressing my wish list.

I wanted Micha Parsons earlier Cali at MLB. Not sure where he and us will fall in the draft.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did a great job. Was just expressing my wish list.

I wanted Micha Parsons earlier Cali at MLB. Not sure where he and us will fall in the draft.
I like Pitts at TE depending on value . Parsons should give good value

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Answer is simple to me.
You Keep Alex Smith as your starter.
He will win you the games you are supposed to win & draft for your future.
he will also help in the development of your draft pick. He is the perfect bridge (2 years left on contract) & an intelligent Qb to help teach in the process. You are paying his bonus no matter what, so his salary at around 19 to 20 mil is cheap as fuck for starting QBs nowadays (not on rookie contracts)

Unless you are trying to tank next year. In that case forget everything I said & start haskins & fire all other QBs.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it wont happen but i think we should keep allen , CDC and DH . you give DH another real year to mature or you have him compete with allen as your franchise guy

and the only reason i say give DH more time is i believe he has been handled improperly

if we draft a qb this year then we should sit and develop him and let CDC and allen run the show until our qb is ready

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what about the QB behind Herbert who lost the starting job due to the punctured lung. How would he fit into our scheme? Would he be available as a possible FA? Anyone know?

Tyrod Taylor? I don't see him as an upgrade over AS. He's not terrible or anything, decent comp% doesn't turn the ball over, but he's become a dinker n dunker and if you look up stopgap QB in the dictionary. His pic might be the first one that pops up.

Barring a catastrophe we're rollin with the safety monitor, Cap'n Checkdown, Alex Smith next year, fellas. And if @chillerdab is on point. A newly attitude adjusted Haskins and maybe Allen or a kid they draft in the 2nd to 4th rd.

@Sportster 72 forget Tua. Too bad the Skins didn't draft Herbert instead of Chase. That kid has the goods. I read that had he came out his jr year he would've been the #1 pick. Looking at his college stats I don't see why that changed so drastically after his sr year. I can't recall hearing much about him at all last year.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod Taylor? I don't see him as an upgrade over AS. He's not terrible or anything, decent comp% doesn't turn the ball over, but he's become a dinker n dunker and if you look up stopgap QB in the dictionary. His pic might be the first one that pops up
I wrote this Nov 30th and things have definitely changed since then :)

I agree with the rest of your assessment. That was actually my thoughts even back then IIRC

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I should forget about Tua. I said they should have looked at him, reports are they didn't. Herbert shows why the draft process is an inexact science. Of course so does Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and anyone else I may have forgot to mention.

Four more games to go but I'd say right now AS is the leader in the clubhouse to start again in 2021. The question is .... where does Haskins fit in. If reports the last few weeks are true then they should keep him. Added maturity and some time to learn the game could benefit Haskins greatly. Many pointed out that he was short on experience. He is getting that now.

Depending on where the WTF draft, who is available and how much Smith and RR like a guy should dictate who and what positions they should draft.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what I should forget about Tua. I said they should have looked at him, reports are they didn't. Herbert shows why the draft process is an inexact science. Of course so does Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Russell Wilson and anyone else I may have forgot to mention.
Nothing really. Just that you and I were batted the "Skins should've looked at Tua harder" idea around for a minute, but as it stands right now. Herbert looks as if he has the goods.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing really. Just that you and I were batted the "Skins should've looked at Tua harder" idea around for a minute, but as it stands right now. Herbert looks as if he has the goods.
Still early and you probably see him more than me but he does look pretty good.

I haven't really seen Tua and I was worried about his injury history but I thought they should have gone to see him work out. Chase Young was more likely the correct pick

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Tua’s brother, currently playing at U Md (I just learned this), a comparable qb to Tua? If so, I might have to watch Terp Football!
Have the Terps had a qb do anything in the nfl since Boomer?