• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Philadelphia Flyers 2024-2025 Season: Progressing Towards Lord Stanley's Cup

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is frustrating to watch tonight. It seems like the Kraken do JUST enough not to allow a lot of goals. We don't know how to bend but not break yet defensively and Fedotov still does not look comfortable. For such a big goalie, the puck should not be making it's way through his body so often. That and his rebound control is poor. He's perhaps still a step slow. I'm not at all giving up on him, I'm just being real about what I see right now. I would've pulled him after the 4th goal against. I was screaming it at the television. Well, look at what happened. He gave up a 5th goal 8 seconds later. Definitely not all his fault, but he's not making the big stops that Ersson routinely makes to save our bacon.

And so, with a period remaining, the 2-5 deficit looks insurmountable. Our 4th line has both goals (Laughton). Tons of other chances to score, but everything is just a touch off and like I said, Seattle does just enough to not allow a goal. I still hate all of the diving and questionable calls by the referees too. So far, that has definitely gone the way of the home team. Perhaps we can get some calls in the 3rd and make this close, but it doesn't likely at this time.

Looks like Ersson is in net to start the 3rd. No surprise at all. And sure enough, another questionable penalty call on us. They seriously need to start calling the embellishment. It's getting out of control.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We made a valiant effort at a comeback in the 3rd. York sniped one right in the slot and Drysdale sifted one through from the point on the power play, which Michkov got the assist on. Our power play looks good, but there's a lot of beautiful passing and not enough beautiful shooting...Lol Very few shot attempts and then when we get them off, they are often wide or blocked. We obviously need to get better at even strength, but we look dangerous with the man advantage and whenever there's extra space (4v4 or 3v3). Michkov has a lot to do with this change, clearly.

Drysdale showed us the good with our 4th goal in the comeback attempt, but then he made a bad pinch two minutes later, which directly led to a breakaway by Bjorkstrand and he buried it. That basically put the game away, 4-6 for Seattle.

No excuses, but it's difficult to find a flow and get comfortable at even strength when there are 9+ power plays in a game. Some of these refs are getting fooled by veteran players and aren't seeing the diving that's going on. It's unfortunate. Call both or call nothing at all. To some extent, it ruins the game.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Maverick, I am liking the improvement in some areas especially our most glaring weak areas. We still need to get even better on the PP and not get stuck so much on passing. Get the puck into the net dudes!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to really say about this team after last night. I'm a bit embarrassed. I believe they said we hadn't been shut out in a home opener since 1999. That's 25 years ago, folks...Lol

We can't defend properly and we can't finish in the offensive zone. Everything is just a touch off. Plain and simple.

I feel bad for Sam Ersson. The dude is playing very well and yet he's 1-1-1 with a 2.99 gaa and .894 sv%. Those are bad numbers no matter how you slice it.

I'm sorry, but that western conference road trip to open the season is no excuse for not having any juice in the home opener.

We need to get our collective shit together, and fast. Hopefully this home and home with the hated Caps will stir up some emotion or passion for the game. Maybe put Deslauriers in there and get him to pick a fight with Wilson. We need a boost.

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to really say about this team after last night. I'm a bit embarrassed. I believe they said we hadn't been shut out in a home opener since 1999. That's 25 years ago, folks...Lol

We can't defend properly and we can't finish in the offensive zone. Everything is just a touch off. Plain and simple.

I feel bad for Sam Ersson. The dude is playing very well and yet he's 1-1-1 with a 2.99 gaa and .894 sv%. Those are bad numbers no matter how you slice it.

I'm sorry, but that western conference road trip to open the season is no excuse for not having any juice in the home opener.

We need to get our collective shit together, and fast. Hopefully this home and home with the hated Caps will stir up some emotion or passion for the game. Maybe put Deslauriers in there and get him to pick a fight with Wilson. We need a boost.
Not the start we had hoped for. You have it right, just a bit off everywhere. Is that a low talent thing, getting used to each other thing, or just not at a competitive level ?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the start we had hoped for. You have it right, just a bit off everywhere. Is that a low talent thing, getting used to each other thing, or just not at a competitive level ?
I like to think that lack of chemistry is a lot of it, but also, we probably need an elite shooter on this team. Michkov still appears to be a difference maker, fortunately, but a guy like Tippett is way overdue for some goals. Michkov, Frost and Brink can set up guys perfectly all night long, but if their shots go wide, get blocked or ring iron, it doesn't count for shit...Lol We're missing wide open nets, at times.

I mean, a lot of this is just getting the dirty goals before we try to get fancy or snipe corners. Screen the fucking goalie and let it rip. Get deflections, rebounds and get fucking nasty.

Hopefully Seeler returns and brings some steadiness to the defense. At least the guy will block everything he can and show some serious balls.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that said, yeah, I don't think we had near enough juice for a home opener. We got spanked in the 2nd period yet again. So, we're getting pinned back in our own zone too much, shifts are getting too long and guys are making mistakes defensively. Props to Ersson for standing tall through it all, but he can't score the goals for us too...Lol

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Flyers looked like crap and that I-don't-give-a-shit attitude re-surfaced. I don;t know what it will take to get rid of this bullshit but it continues to linger and it is damn useless and frustrating!!

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and shed more light, @Maverick426h , you mentioned your frustration at watching Fedotov, his style is not suited for the NHL, he's a big body and tries to play straight up and tall in net, which means he has no side to side movements which is why deflections will always be a challenge for him.
Torts did a lot of line changing(personal wise) in our opener and even admitted he was looking for chemistry.
I would like to see Michkov, Luchanko, and Brink shoot more, I would also like to see those 3 on a line together.
Getting Seeler back will help but we still need to score, we've got some good passers but we need to still get gritty and get some bodies to the net. I'll start to seriously worry if we get to game 20 and we're still having these issues.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tank GIF

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young team making young player mistakes. Coming off the road not ready to play that will be fixed by Torts. Not worried yet guys who score will start scoring.
I agree, it's just frustrating at the moment. Definitely a very young squad and guys like Tippett, Luchanko, Frost, Couturier and Sanheim are very much due for a whole pile of goals. Tippett is about to explode, really. Ersson is still pretty solid in net, our power play is dangerous and the defensive issues can easily be fixed, especially upon the return of Seeler.

I'm optimistic altogether, it's just that given all of the hype entering this season, to fall so flat in the home opener was really a buzzkill.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and shed more light, @Maverick426h , you mentioned your frustration at watching Fedotov, his style is not suited for the NHL, he's a big body and tries to play straight up and tall in net, which means he has no side to side movements which is why deflections will always be a challenge for him.
Torts did a lot of line changing(personal wise) in our opener and even admitted he was looking for chemistry.
I would like to see Michkov, Luchanko, and Brink shoot more, I would also like to see those 3 on a line together.
Getting Seeler back will help but we still need to score, we've got some good passers but we need to still get gritty and get some bodies to the net. I'll start to seriously worry if we get to game 20 and we're still having these issues.
Fedotov doesn't look good. We all agree on that. The dude only has 3 Nhl starts lifetime though and he's making $3.275M in year one of a two year contract. Nobody within the franchise is giving up on the guy anytime soon. He's gonna be given plenty of room to explore the space....Lol

The point is, I'm not ready to say that he absolutely cannot be an effective netminder in the Nhl. He's definitely still learning the ropes, so to speak, and adjusting to the pace of the game.