• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The path to a CFP 8 is birthing

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I support the auto-bid system. That way we take it mostly out of human hands and absolutely no team that has an argument can be left out. I want the 5 Conference Champs, the highest ranked G5 team in say, the Coach's Poll. And then the two highest ranked wildcards. Seed them based on the Coach's poll. This year, the matchups would be:

#1 Bama vs. #8 Washington
#2 Clemson vs. #7 UCF
#3 Notre Dame vs. #6 Ohio State
#4 Oklahoma vs. #5 UGA

Last year, it would have been:

#1 Clemson vs. #8 UCF
#2 Oklahoma vs. #7 USC
#3 UGA vs. #6 Wisconsin
#4 Bama vs. #5 Ohio State

#1 Bama vs. #8 Western Michigan
#2 Clemson vs. #7 Oklahoma
#3 Ohio State vs. #6 Michigan
#4 Washington vs. #5 Penn State

#1 Clemson vs. #8 Houston
#2 Bama vs. #7 Ohio State (maybe the 8 team system would switch Notre Dame with them)
#3 Michigan State vs. #6 Stanford
#4 Oklahoma vs. #5 Iowa

#1 Bama vs. #8 Boise State
#2 Florida State vs. #7 Michigan State
#3 Oregon vs. #6 Mississippi State
#4 Ohio State vs. #5 winner of Baylor/TCU, probably TCU

I personally think all of those games would be really interesting. I would watch all of them, and I'd imagine ratings would be big for them as well. Most years, the #1 seed will play an undefeated or one loss G5 team. It's a tough out for the G5, but this is fair because they had the easiest time getting there, so have a tougher playoffs and can instantly legitimize their team if they win. I think you can argue that two of these teams out of 40 did not belong there (2015 Houston and 2014 Boise State). However, all the other 38 either won their P5 conference or had an argument at being the best team, and you can't name someone who deserved to be there who isn't there. That is a playoff system, and any team that managed to win it would have to beat three good teams in a row, and would undisputedly be the national champs (instead of the asterisks beside a ton of our champs now).

Random interesting fact, while one or two teams would dominate most of the playoff appearances of each P5 conference, the Pac-12 would be represented by four different teams: Washington (twice), USC, Stanford, and Oregon.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Delany on the Big Ten's College Football Playoff absence: 'Have respect for those chosen'

Delany isn’t pushing for it after the B1G was left out two years in a row.

He's an absolute idiot. He owes it to his member schools to be advocating for them or for a playoff. It's not like these are upstart school having 1 hot year, or some nobody who played nobodies like UCF. This is Ohio State, a blue blood among blue bloods. One of the most physically talented teams in the country. And its not like they had more losses or anything and trying to justify a 2 loss team.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the facepalm @SignalBama ?

Ohio State and Michigan would be in this year.
Ohio State and Wisconsin last year
Penn State, Michigan, and Wisconsin in 2016
Ohio State and/or Iowa in 2015
Michigan State in 2014

all would have made the playoffs if they took the top 8 teams in the rankings. If the logic is appearances regardless of the results is what we are looking for, the Big10 is the conference hurt the most by having only 4 teams rather than 8.

Here’s the number of teams in each conference that have finished between 5 and 8.

ACC - 0
Big12 - 3 (Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma)
Big10 - 10 (Michigan State, Iowa, Ohio State x3, Michigan x2, Wisconsin x2, Penn State)
PAC12 - 2 (USC, Stanford,
SEC - 3 (Miss St, Auburn, Georgia)
Notre Dame - 1
Mid Majors - 1 (UCF)

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an absolute idiot. He owes it to his member schools to be advocating for them or for a playoff. It's not like these are upstart school having 1 hot year, or some nobody who played nobodies like UCF. This is Ohio State, a blue blood among blue bloods. One of the most physically talented teams in the country. And its not like they had more losses or anything and trying to justify a 2 loss team.
See my last post. Using only the top 8 rankings (no autobids) 10 BigTen teams missed the playoffs, there was ten for every other conference combined.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like a woman scorned, do you have to ask? LOL
I figured that’s why, but I am curious if there was any specific reason why. No conference has been hurt more by 4 teams vs 8 than the Big Ten for getting teams into the playoffs.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured that’s why, but I am curious if there was any specific reason why. No conference has been hurt more by 4 teams vs 8 than the Big Ten for getting teams into the playoffs.
the PAC is getting close if not the same no? 2 years both have been left out?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather 6 teams in the CFP but 8 is still good. In any event expansion to the CFP is needed.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke 8 teams would be. You would put in a 3 loss Washington and a 2 loss Michigan that got destroyed in their last game. Keep it at 4 or 6 max and save the regular season...or whats left of it.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan State in 2014

all would have made the playoffs if they took the top 8 teams in the rankings. If the logic is appearances regardless of the results is what we are looking for, the Big10 is the conference hurt the most by having only 4 teams rather than 8.

Here’s the number of teams in each conference that have finished between 5 and 8.

ACC - 0
Big10 - 10 (Michigan State, Iowa, Ohio State x3, Michigan x2, Wisconsin x2, Penn State)
Notre Dame - 1
Mid Majors - 1 (UCF)

So, I think using 8 teams is absolutely ridiculous if we're just going to follow the same worthless rankings. The idea of expanding is that so no deserving team gets completely left out. But a lot of deserving teams would be left out. Last year, a three loss Auburn would have gotten in over UCF. And we know in hindsight that UCF was better than Auburn. In 2016, a 3 loss Wisconsin would have gotten into the playoffs over an undefeated Western Michigan. All it does is keep the problems we already have and water down the other games. People are clearly incapable of doing the rankings. So we have to do what I suggested above, and have auto-bids for the P5 teams and the top G5 team.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just make a full March madness style bracket.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke 8 teams would be. You would put in a 3 loss Washington and a 2 loss Michigan that got destroyed in their last game. Keep it at 4 or 6 max and save the regular season...or whats left of it.

How does an 8 team auto-bid system ruin the regular season? You win your conference, you're in. That's inherently good for the regular season. If you don't win, you need to be really good or need a lot of help to get in, this year, it would be UGA and Notre Dame.

What ruins the regular season is when Bama or Ohio State can be the losers of their own division, yet sneak into the playoffs because of some bullshit "eye test."

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I think using 8 teams is absolutely ridiculous if we're just going to follow the same worthless rankings. The idea of expanding is that so no deserving team gets completely left out. But a lot of deserving teams would be left out. Last year, a three loss Auburn would have gotten in over UCF. And we know in hindsight that UCF was better than Auburn. In 2016, a 3 loss Wisconsin would have gotten into the playoffs over an undefeated Western Michigan. All it does is keep the problems we already have and water down the other games. People are clearly incapable of doing the rankings. So we have to do what I suggested above, and have auto-bids for the P5 teams and the top G5 team.
Wait are you talking about the same Western Michigan team that lost to the 3 loss Wisconsin? Very rarely is it worth putting a G5 team into a playoff so why guarantee them a spot? You want to have 18th ranked Houston or 20th ranked Boise State in the playoffs? If we are expanding to 8 teams there should be no need for autobids. We nearly had a team that went 0-3 in their out of conference games win their conference and they deserve to be guaranteed a spot over a team that goes 11-1?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does an 8 team auto-bid system ruin the regular season? You win your conference, you're in. That's inherently good for the regular season. If you don't win, you need to be really good or need a lot of help to get in, this year, it would be UGA and Notre Dame.

What ruins the regular season is when Bama or Ohio State can be the losers of their own division, yet sneak into the playoffs because of some bullshit "eye test."

Or hey Georgia is one of the four best teams in the country but they lost to the two best teams they played narrative.

I have no doubt Georgia is a very good team but what on the field reflects they can irrefutably be considered one of the four best?

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan State in 2014

ACC - 0
Notre Dame - 1
Mid Majors - 1 (UCF)
Your obsession with me is amusing. Keep tagging.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or hey Georgia is one of the four best teams in the country but they lost to the two best teams they played narrative.

I have no doubt Georgia is a very good team but what on the field reflects they can irrefutably be considered one of the four best?

I didn't say they were one of the four best teams in the country. I personally think they are, but they haven't demonstrated that this year. I would not put them in a 4 team playoff, and think the committee did a good job getting the 4 most deserving teams. I'm talking about an 8 team playoff, and outside of the P5 champions, Notre Dame, UCF, who else has an argument to be in the playoffs? UGA, with 2 losses to the #1 team (where they outplayed them) and the #10 team? Wazzu? Florida? Or Michigan, who also lost to the 2 best teams they played, but looked worse in said losses. Yeah, it's gonna be UGA.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes.. by the way 3 teams have won a title without winning their conference in the history of the AP Poll. That was Minnesota is the first years of the Poll and Bama twice this decade. I can see why you want the sanctity of the regular season preserved

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your obsession with me is amusing. Keep tagging.
You facepalmed me, dipshit. I was trying to actually have a sports conversation with you. Apparently you are the one obsessed with me. Following me around sending emojis because you don’t want to actually have discussions because you were destroyed the last time.
98E253DE-E20E-41A9-8462-B72D0054756F.jpeg