• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WT from CBS is cool and a straight up guy, you'll like him, too.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see GT as an 8-4 overall and 5-3 in conference record until shown otherwise.

I see the ACC as the 5th best conference until I see otherwise as well.

Until we can get back to winning our rivalry games against the SEC schools, we will be and will be perceived as weak.

I am fully aware that my alma matter Georgia Tech is as guilty of this as anyone.

Probably.

And BTW, nice to see you here, it's been awhile. At least since ESPN Robustness kicked in.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alumni donations are a small part (exception okie State and T-Boone) the real money comes from the network contracts and the ACC did a horrible job at negotiating their last package.

This is going to absolutely kill the league competitive wise while the other four major conference bring in more than 10 million a team (estimate) then the ACC schools with their packages. Its hard to keep up when you are getting 20 million a year but the guy across the state is making 30 million.

Alumni donations matter too.

Let's compare GT and UGA. Before the 1996 Olympics GT had an undergraduate enrollment of 8k. After the Olympics we have expanded to 14k. UGA has an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 25k. Assume the average person will start donating 5 years after graduation and live to be 75. And maybe donate until the age of 70. I am going to assume the alumni between the ages of 25 and 70 will donate. So about 45 years worth of alumni. Divide the undergraduate enrollment by 4 to get how many people come in every year. For GT, that would be 2k/year before 1996 and 3.5k/year after 1996. For UGA that would be 6.25k/year

Using this VERY fuzzy math, this would mean that GT would have 12*3.5k + 33*2k = 108,000 alumni in the "donation zone". UGA would have 45*6.25= 281,000 in the "donation zone". Subtracting those two and you get 173,000 more UGA alumni alive and donating than GT alumni.

Now, if you assume the "average" alumni donates $100/year, that would mean UGA alumni are donating $17.3 million more per year than GT grads.

I realize that I used some VERY VERY VERY fuzzy math there. But my point is this: It doesn't necessarily take one Phil Knight or T. Boone giving a large amount. The sheer volume of having a large alumni base donating an average amount also can be important.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alumni donations matter too.

Let's compare GT and UGA. Before the 1996 Olympics GT had an undergraduate enrollment of 8k. After the Olympics we have expanded to 14k. UGA has an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 25k. Assume the average person will start donating 5 years after graduation and live to be 75. And maybe donate until the age of 70. I am going to assume the alumni between the ages of 25 and 70 will donate. So about 45 years worth of alumni. Divide the undergraduate enrollment by 4 to get how many people come in every year. For GT, that would be 2k/year before 1996 and 3.5k/year after 1996. For UGA that would be 6.25k/year

Using this VERY fuzzy math, this would mean that GT would have 12*3.5k + 33*2k = 108,000 alumni in the "donation zone". UGA would have 45*6.25= 281,000 in the "donation zone". Subtracting those two and you get 173,000 more UGA alumni alive and donating than GT alumni.

Now, if you assume the "average" alumni donates $100/year, that would mean UGA alumni are donating $17.3 million more per year than GT grads.

I realize that I used some VERY VERY VERY fuzzy math there. But my point is this: It doesn't necessarily take one Phil Knight or T. Boone giving a large amount. The sheer volume of having a large alumni base donating an average amount also can be important.

My son will graduate from GT at the end of summer semester. Believe me I know that GT has some seriously rich alumni that contribute a shitload of money to the school.

They build new dorms every year and most all of that money comes from alumni. And they build very, very good dorms. I've seen them. My son lived in them.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Network is where the real money is.

Geneh,

The thing you have to remember is that most of the big ACC football schools compete with the SEC in recruiting and we don't even have the new number they are going to bring in but last year each school split 25 million. 17 isn't going to cut it and ND won't count even if they join because they won't give up their own network deal. You are going to need at least 10 million more a school or 5 years from now the gap will be too large to close.

Not hating just looking at the numbers and the ACC needs more revenue sooner rather than later IMO and I don't even know if that is possible just one year into the current deal.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People keep saying this...except....

Filling a bigger stadium has a bigger financial impact than the network deal.

Let's compare:

Georgia Tech. Stadium holds 55,000.
UGA. Stadium holds 92,000

difference: 37,000 seats.

37,000 seats times $50/ticket times 7 home games = $13 MILLION difference.

I would say that's more than the difference in TV money.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's compare:

:peep:

Saw where GT is selling tix to their home games against Pitt and Cuse for $15/ea......that can't help much either. :L

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:peep:

Saw where GT is selling tix to their home games against Pitt and Cuse for $15/ea......that can't help much either. :L

Trying to get the fans at the stadium. But SU/GT head to head.....In a league with UM, FSU, Clemson and VT.....$15 may not even help.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's compare:

Its a chicken/egg argument because you have to have money to build a stadium and I would argue network money is the best way to get it. Look at Texas A&M they join the SEC and immediately announce a huge stadium expansion finainced with the help of an improved balance sheet from quaranteed league money.

I see your point and it is valid but what we are talking here is quick, easy and big new money and that comes from network deals. Stadium expansions are very expensive and risky for most programs to pull off. Example Auburn holds approximately 87,415 seats but they don't need to add 10K more becasue the demand is not there. However they will add at least 10 million to their yearly bottom line once the SEC Network deal is done (this is an estimate numbers have not been released but I do think it is a completely fair number).

Network deals are driving college football right now including the recent expansion and that is for one reason money.

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's compare:

This only works under 2 assumptions.

1. You can sell tickets for $50
2. You can sellout your stadium

2 affects 1. If you can't sellout your stadium, you can't sell tickets for $50 dollars.

Paul Fizzle

The Godfather of Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This only works under 2 assumptions.

1. You can sell tickets for $50
2. You can sellout your stadium

2 affects 1. If you can't sellout your stadium, you can't sell tickets for $50 dollars.

The University of Pittsburgh is the most amazing academic institution I have ever seen

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geneh,

The thing you have to remember is that most of the big ACC football schools compete with the SEC in recruiting and we don't even have the new number they are going to bring in but last year each school split 25 million. 17 isn't going to cut it and ND won't count even if they join because they won't give up their own network deal. You are going to need at least 10 million more a school or 5 years from now the gap will be too large to close.

Not hating just looking at the numbers and the ACC needs more revenue sooner rather than later IMO and I don't even know if that is possible just one year into the current deal.

I'm not interested in closing that gap. That's great for the SEC schools. Wonderful. But I couldn't really care less. All I am concerned about is the ACC. Yeah, we need a better contract and yeah, we will renegotiate it again one year from now.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC's football ticket prices depend upon the opponent. Non-ACC opponents are cheap, around $23. For ACC opponents it ranges from $40 (Duke game) to $53 (Miami).

Everybody in the ACC isn't cheap to get in like GT is.

I am sure that when we get Ohio State down here in 2017 the tickets will be around $75 to $95 each.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By Heather Dinich

CLEMSON

228.gif
Nonconfernece opponents (with 2012 records):

• Georgia (12-2)
  • South Carolina State (5-6)
  • The Citadel (7-4)
  • At South Carolina (11-2)
ACC home games:

• Wake Forest
  • Boston College
  • Florida State
  • Georgia Tech
ACC road games:

• At NC State (Thursday)
  • At Syracuse
  • At Maryland
  • At Virginia
Gut-check time:Oct. 19 vs. Florida State. Yes, the season opener against Georgia is big, and the grand finale against South Carolina could be even bigger, but they won't mean as much if Clemson can't win the ACC. The Tigers lost this game a year ago, and in each of the past four seasons, the winner has won the Atlantic Division. The home team has won all four games in the series during that span, and FSU has not won at Clemson since 2001. Even if Clemson loses to Georgia and the hopes of a national title fade, Clemson can still bully its way through the Atlantic Division and get to the Orange Bowl again -- as long as it can survive gut-check time.

Trap game: Oct. 5 at Syracuse. Don't underestimate the Orange, especially at home in what will be the program's first kickoff as a member of the ACC. Syracuse is going to be looking to make a statement against one of the ACC's best teams that it's not just here to decorate the division and play hoops. Syracuse is starting to make a habit out of surprising teams. In each of the past two seasons, Syracuse upset a ranked opponent at home. The Orange did it in 2011 against West Virginia and Geno Smith. They did it last year against Louisville and Teddy Bridgewater. Who's next?

Snoozer: Sept. 7 vs. South Carolina State. This was a 5-6 FCS team last year, and it couldn't have come at a better time on the schedule. Clemson will just have finished an emotionally and physically draining game in the season opener against Georgia, a game we've been talking about since it was announced. With Georgia in the books and a bye week ahead, this is a good time for Clemson fans to put their feet up.

Defining stretch: Oct. 5-Oct. 19 (at Syracuse, Boston College, Florida State). As mentioned before, the games against Cuse and FSU will be critical for different reasons, but all three of these are Atlantic Division opponents, and the Tigers can't afford to slip up against any of them -- especially at home.

Final analysis: There is more than one trap game on this schedule, as heading to Raleigh on a Thursday night could also be dangerous for the Tigers, as will the Thursday night game against Georgia Tech on Nov. 14. Despite the presence of two FCS teams on the schedule, this is arguably the most difficult lineup in the ACC. The good news is that it is conducive to winning a national title. If Clemson wins the Big Three: vs. Georgia, vs. Florida State and at South Carolina, the Tigers should be a top-5 team looking at a chance to play in the last BCS national championship game. If Clemson wins those three games, though, and stumbles against Georgia Tech or falls into a trap at Syracuse, the entire picture changes. Those within the program believe the days of "pulling a Clemson" are officially over. This is the schedule that can further prove it. Dabo Swinney has recruited well enough to take the program to an elite level, but can he coach them there? He already beat LSU, but he has yet to beat South Carolina. This schedule is aggressive -- but so are Swinney's expectations

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UNC's football ticket prices depend upon the opponent. Non-ACC opponents are cheap, around $23. For ACC opponents it ranges from $40 (Duke game) to $53 (Miami).

Everybody in the ACC isn't cheap to get in like GT is.

I am sure that when we get Ohio State down here in 2017 the tickets will be around $75 to $95 each.

I can't wait. I will definitely be at that one.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polls don't matter, but they're fun to talk about. And this is the first time Syracuse will appear in an"official" ACC poll.

To get an idea of where Syracuse will finish in the poll,here are five preseason magazines generally accepted to be the most respected:Athlon's, Lindy's, Phil Steele, Sporting News and USA Today.

Three magazines pick Syracuse sixth, one predicts fifthand one seventh. Taking an average of those five polls, Syracuse will finish sixth in the seven-team ACC Atlantic Division. Here is one comment on Syracuse from each of the magazines:

•Athlon: Syracuse's first season in the ACC could be astruggle.
•Lindy's: Running game should be strong, but first-yearcoach Scott Shafer will struggle in move from Big East.
•Phil Steele: They have just 12 returning starters, a newhead coach, tougher competition and I had to pick someone (seventh).
•Sporting News: Syracuse won't push Clemson or Florida State in the Atlantic Division. But if they find a quarterback, the Orangeshould go bowling in back-to-back years for the first time since 1995-99.
•USA Today: The Orange overloaded on junior collegetransfers in an attempt to find immediate help. The 2013 class, though, fails to set up a foundation.

Ugh....SU ain't going back to the bottom....I don't care what conference they are in.

hurricane 2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cane QB James Morris was the star at the Manning QB camp......

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC predictions:

1. North Carolina will beat Georgia Tech this year.

2. Clemson will go undefeated.

3. FSU loses 2 games: Clemmy and UF

4. Virginia Tech will win 9 games at least.

5. North Carolina will win the Coastal.

6. Syracuse will win 8 games, maybe 9.