• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The ACC Thread

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah! That would give us 2.5 GT fans here! And take the lead over Clemson and UVA! There's good news. Phil Steele says we are 10 wins this year. It is our strongest offense so far under PJ, and the D can only improve from where we were last year.

10 WINS? :laugh3::laugh3:

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see GT as an 8-4 overall and 5-3 in conference record until shown otherwise.

I see the ACC as the 5th best conference until I see otherwise as well.

Until we can get back to winning our rivalry games against the SEC schools, we will be and will be perceived as weak.

I am fully aware that my alma matter Georgia Tech is as guilty of this as anyone.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's why I think the ACC schools have been at a competitive disadvantage with the other AQ conferences....

Money.

It takes money to pay and KEEP top end coaches. It takes money to pay and keep top end assistant coaches as well. It takes money to maintain state of the art practice facilities. It takes money to be able to recruit on a national basis.

In order to get money, you need alumni donations to the athletic program. You need to have a large stadium and fill it for every home game. You need to sell the jerseys and other paraphernalia.

Our alumni base tends to be quite affluent but maybe less likely to donate to their school's sports program. And if you look at the schools, we have some of the lowest sized undergraduate student bodies of the AQ conferences. How many ACC schools have 25k+ undergrads? How many ACC schools have 65k+ stadiums that they fill every home game? I did the numbers on this once, and we're very behind SEC and B1G schools on that data.

It puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Not insurmountable. We gotta be like the Tampa Bay Rays baseball teams competing against the Yankees and Red Sox.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks to a big pick up by Virginia, the ACC has climbed to second in recruiting behind the SEC.

Here is a look at where the other ACC teams stand among thetop 30 teams ranked:

No. 5 Florida State
No. 10 Miami
No. 11 Clemson
No. 15 Virginia
No. 24 North Carolina
No. 26 NC State
No. 27 Virginia Tech
No. 28 Boston College

Throw in UofL is ranked 20th....man the future is looking good for the ACC.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked back a couple of pages and didn't see this tid-bit.

The ACC gained a small victory in its ongoing legal disputeswith the University of Maryland regarding the school's decision to leave theconference for the Big Ten.

While three counts have been tabled until a decision is made in a NorthCarolina court, a Maryland judge ruled that the ACC is not violating any antitrust laws by asking Maryland for its $52 million exit fee

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Thanks to a big pick up by Virginia, the ACC has climbed to second in recruiting behind the SEC.

Here is a look at where the other ACC teams stand among thetop 30 teams ranked:

No. 5 Florida State
No. 10 Miami
No. 11 Clemson
No. 15 Virginia
No. 24 North Carolina
No. 26 NC State
No. 27 Virginia Tech
No. 28 Boston College

Throw in UofL is ranked 20th....man the future is looking good for the ACC.

Talent has never been the problem with ACC football. It is and always has been the coaching.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent has never been the problem with ACC football. It is and always has been the coaching.

Coaching stability is the key....well talent too, but I definately get your point about coaching. If the schools are unwilling to pay top dollar, they will go elsewhere.

SU hasn't figured it out yet. I sure hope they do soon.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But it ain't dude.....look at what Champ did with Urbans leftover turds last year....Champ will win 4 of the next 6 NC's ......he is building a monster there despite UF's rigid academic standard. UF has not lost any recruits that they really wanted unless the recruit COULD NOT qualify or the UF coaches thought that they might become an issue during their time there.
Trust me I am the a very realistic fan and have watched and been a part of CFB for over 40 years when I tell you this!!!! The writing is on the wall and the monster is coming off the table. UF won't win it all this coming year, but the run they start in 2014 will have even Saban leaving town.....

What, lose to a Big LEast team? I saw that, too. Also, sorry bro, your academic standard's aren't rigid considering the amount of criminals you let in. It's funny how it's all Urban's fault, even though I'm not seeing the same issues at OSU that he had in Florida, and Muschamp is having serious arrest issues himself. Sounds like a University of Florida problem, bud...

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What, lose to a Big LEast team? I saw that, too. Also, sorry bro, your academic standard's aren't rigid considering the amount of criminals you let in. It's funny how it's all Urban's fault, even though I'm not seeing the same issues at OSU that he had in Florida, and Muschamp is having serious arrest issues himself. Sounds like a University of Florida problem, bud...

Not for nuthin' but it has begun already.
Michigan Arrests Under Hoke VS OSU Arrests Under Meyer | Eleven Warriors

I have no idea what they are for but it's a good start for Meyer, give him more time...There will be more.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for nuthin' but it has begun already.
Michigan Arrests Under Hoke VS OSU Arrests Under Meyer | Eleven Warriors

I have no idea what they are for but it's a good start for Meyer, give him more time...There will be more.

Kind of like when he was at Utah and Bowling Green? I'm not naive enough to say OSU will never have a player get in trouble, but what school in the nation can say they've never had a player get arrested for even a small infraction? They happen everywhere.

Like I said, though, sure seems to be a U of F problem.

Uman5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Kind of like when he was at Utah and Bowling Green? I'm not naive enough to say OSU will never have a player get in trouble, but what school in the nation can say they've never had a player get arrested for even a small infraction? They happen everywhere.

Like I said, though, sure seems to be a U of F problem.

There is no doubt uf has a problem. But rest assured Meyer will have more arrests at OSU than you are used to.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no doubt uf has a problem. But rest assured Meyer will have more arrests at OSU than you are used to.

So far he's proven quite the opposite. He's kicked 4* recruits off the team that weren't even arrested but just because they broke a team rule. As I said, he didn't have any issues at any other stop but UF, and Muschamp is having even worse issues. Not sure what it is down in Gainesville, but it's bad news.

Also, go back to the Tressel years. He wasn't terrible about kids getting arrested, but we had more than just a few, and so far Urban has been a breath of fresh air in that regard.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far he's proven quite the opposite. He's kicked 4* recruits off the team that weren't even arrested but just because they broke a team rule. As I said, he didn't have any issues at any other stop but UF, and Muschamp is having even worse issues. Not sure what it is down in Gainesville, but it's bad news.

Also, go back to the Tressel years. He wasn't terrible about kids getting arrested, but we had more than just a few, and so far Urban has been a breath of fresh air in that regard.

[YOUTUBE]k9JGQD-82zY[/YOUTUBE]

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GO JONVI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's why I think the ACC schools have been at a competitive disadvantage with the other AQ conferences....

Money.

It takes money to pay and KEEP top end coaches. It takes money to pay and keep top end assistant coaches as well. It takes money to maintain state of the art practice facilities. It takes money to be able to recruit on a national basis.

In order to get money, you need alumni donations to the athletic program. You need to have a large stadium and fill it for every home game. You need to sell the jerseys and other paraphernalia.

Our alumni base tends to be quite affluent but maybe less likely to donate to their school's sports program. And if you look at the schools, we have some of the lowest sized undergraduate student bodies of the AQ conferences. How many ACC schools have 25k+ undergrads? How many ACC schools have 65k+ stadiums that they fill every home game? I did the numbers on this once, and we're very behind SEC and B1G schools on that data.

It puts us at a competitive disadvantage. Not insurmountable. We gotta be like the Tampa Bay Rays baseball teams competing against the Yankees and Red Sox.
Alumni donations are a small part (exception okie State and T-Boone) the real money comes from the network contracts and the ACC did a horrible job at negotiating their last package.

This is going to absolutely kill the league competitive wise while the other four major conference bring in more than 10 million a team (estimate) then the ACC schools with their packages. Its hard to keep up when you are getting 20 million a year but the guy across the state is making 30 million.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alumni donations are a small part (exception okie State and T-Boone) the real money comes from the network contracts and the ACC did a horrible job at negotiating their last package.

This is going to absolutely kill the league competitive wise while the other four major conference bring in more than 10 million a team (estimate) then the ACC schools with their packages. Its hard to keep up when you are getting 20 million a year but the guy across the state is making 30 million.

We got robbed but it isn't as bad as you make it sound. After renegotiating after Pitt & Syracuse were added, 17 million per school per year, only 3 million per school per year less than the Big 12. Of course the overall package is much higher than the Big 12.

Had we held out we could have done better but the ACC schools were putting pressure on Swofford to get a new deal done.

We should be able to renegotiate again after adding Notre Dame in BB and when Louisville comes in next year so all is not lost.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, one's an Auburn fan from CBS and the other one is a VT fan.