• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

From Berkeley to Syracuse... (2024 ACC Preview thread)

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m predicting a double digit win season for VA Tech - they are the most complete team in the ACC, almost all of their starters are back and they finished the year hot in 2023 winning 5 of their last 7. I think they have a shot at the ACC title and a playoff birth - the ACC is wide open and a lot of teams could emerge.

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m predicting a double digit win season for VA Tech - they are the most complete team in the ACC, almost all of their starters are back and they finished the year hot in 2023 winning 5 of their last 7. I think they have a shot at the ACC title and a playoff birth - the ACC is wide open and a lot of teams could emerge.

If they get to double digits it's because they have arguably the weakest conference schedule you could imagine with Duke, Virginia, Stanford, and Syracuse with only Miami and Clemson as potential conference contenders. Of their 6 regular season wins last year, none of them finished above .500

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doubtful.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get to double digits it's because they have arguably the weakest conference schedule you could imagine with Duke, Virginia, Stanford, and Syracuse with only Miami and Clemson as potential conference contenders. Of their 6 regular season wins last year, none of them finished above .500
Almost every starter on their team returns from a team that finished 2023 hot - their schedule is easy but it’s not the only reason I’m picking double digit wins for the Hokies.
I’m not sold on Florida St or Miami at all, especially Miami - Cristobal is a dumbass who can’t coach, and Miami always loses big games, and it seems like every year we hear “the U is back” only for them to shit the bed in key games and finish with an average record. “The U” isn’t going to make the playoff or get to double digit wins, they will be mediocre once again. And FSU lost most of their team, they reloaded in the transfer portal some and Norvell is a good coach but I don’t think Uiagalelei is a very good QB and I don’t see them running the table this year. Clemson looks like the clear cut favorite in the ACC, but I think VA Tech might be the second best team, especially with the favorable schedule.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost every starter on their team returns from a team that finished 2023 hot - their schedule is easy but it’s not the only reason I’m picking double digit wins for the Hokies.
I’m not sold on Florida St or Miami at all, especially Miami - Cristobal is a dumbass who can’t coach, and Miami always loses big games, and it seems like every year we hear “the U is back” only for them to shit the bed in key games and finish with an average record. “The U” isn’t going to make the playoff or get to double digit wins, they will be mediocre once again. And FSU lost most of their team, they reloaded in the transfer portal some and Norvell is a good coach but I don’t think Uiagalelei is a very good QB and I don’t see them running the table this year. Clemson looks like the clear cut favorite in the ACC, but I think VA Tech might be the second best team, especially with the favorable schedule.

They finished hot but you disregarded the main point in their hot finish pointed out above. They didn't beat a single team that finished the regular season above .500 so returning all of those players doesn't mean a whole lot for a team that finished 51st in points allowed last year, 20th in total defense, 60th in total offense and 56th in points scored. Not saying they won't be good but to say you're not sold on Miami and FSU but VaTech is certainly a hot take.

How did you view Jordan Travis before last year? Saying you're not sold on DJ when Norvell just turned Jordan Travis into a QB that damn near lead his team to the playoffs.

In regards to "they reloaded in the portal" yes they did, but they also had the 20th ranked class 3 years ago, 19th 2 years ago and the 12th ranked class last year so they've accumulated a good bit of talent, period.

Miami has brought in even more talent than FSU which can cover up for a lot of poor coaching decisions.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They finished hot but you disregarded the main point in their hot finish pointed out above. They didn't beat a single team that finished the regular season above .500 so returning all of those players doesn't mean a whole lot for a team that finished 51st in points allowed last year, 20th in total defense, 60th in total offense and 56th in points scored. Not saying they won't be good but to say you're not sold on Miami and FSU but VaTech is certainly a hot take.

How did you view Jordan Travis before last year? Saying you're not sold on DJ when Norvell just turned Jordan Travis into a QB that damn near lead his team to the playoffs.

In regards to "they reloaded in the portal" yes they did, but they also had the 20th ranked class 3 years ago, 19th 2 years ago and the 12th ranked class last year so they've accumulated a good bit of talent, period.

Miami has brought in even more talent than FSU which can cover up for a lot of poor coaching decisions.
I was way more sold on and impressive by Travis than DJ - DJ has never been very impressive to me. But like you say Norvell is a good coach and they have a good amount of talent. It’s just hard losing most of your team but I think you guys should be good again.
I know my VA Tech pick is definitely a hot take but I just see it coming together for them this year - they finished hot, they return almost intact, they are in the 3rd year of Brent Pry’s system and coaches often hit their stride in year 3, their schedule is very favorable, so they are one of my surprise team picks.
As for Miami, it seems like every year people will say they’ll be very good again and every year they disappoint. I’m certain they’ll disappoint yet again - yeah they look pretty good on paper but I have zero confidence in them.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tech crashes and burns very year.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was way more sold on and impressive by Travis than DJ - DJ has never been very impressive to me. But like you say Norvell is a good coach and they have a good amount of talent. It’s just hard losing most of your team but I think you guys should be good again.
I know my VA Tech pick is definitely a hot take but I just see it coming together for them this year - they finished hot, they return almost intact, they are in the 3rd year of Brent Pry’s system and coaches often hit their stride in year 3, their schedule is very favorable, so they are one of my surprise team picks.
As for Miami, it seems like every year people will say they’ll be very good again and every year they disappoint. I’m certain they’ll disappoint yet again - yeah they look pretty good on paper but I have zero confidence in them.

I'm not saying they won't be good and their schedule definitely favors them getting to double digits, but unless they run the table, they can't drop 2 conference games, they won't be in the CCG. And with even 1 loss + CCG loss, they have no chance at the playoffs with their mid 90s SOS

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying they won't be good and their schedule definitely favors them getting to double digits, but unless they run the table, they can't drop 2 conference games, they won't be in the CCG. And with even 1 loss + CCG loss, they have no chance at the playoffs with their mid 90s SOS
I could see just about everyone in the ACC dropping 2 conference games so I wouldn’t be so sure about that. It looks like a wide open league without any real standout teams aside from maybe Clemson.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see just about everyone in the ACC dropping 2 conference games so I wouldn’t be so sure about that. It looks like a wide open league without any real standout teams aside from maybe Clemson.

Your inability to admit that FSU will be a standout team makes me doubt you have any idea what you're talking about if I'm being honest. You don't bring in 3 consecutive Top 20 classes with a damn good coach and not be a standout team. SMU is also a team to look out for. I'd say VTech is more like to finish outside of the top 5 in the conference than they do in the top 2.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Louisville

The last preview segment for the ACC: The Louisville Cardinals

Last season: So all I did was name Virginia Tech as an ACC contender, and this forum explodes with activity! Now I'm wondering what those guys are gonna think about a team that DID make the ACC title game last year.
Yep, in Jeff Brohm's 1st year coaching his alma-mater he got his Cardinals all the way to the ACC title matchup against Florida State. Not even a 3-game losing streak to end the year could dampen the good vibes Louisville collected in 2023. Now it's a simple question of "Can they possibly do it again?".

Good news: Louisville's D-line should be nasty; Ashton Gillotte and Mason Reiger make a terrifying twosome at defensive-end. New transfer QB Tyler Shough impressed in the spring game, and look for WR Chris Bell to have a breakout year.

Bad news: With Jawar Jordan and Issac Guerendo gone, the running game is severely crippled. And it won't go ANYWHERE unless Louisville can replace some star players on their O-line.

Key games:
9/28 @ Notre Dame (Louisville smacked around the Irish last year, but I don't know if they'll do that when they go to South Bend.)
10/5 vs. SMU (If the Cardinal offense is running well by this time, they should be able to take out SMU with their fierce D.)
10/19 vs. Miami (Louisville used a close win at Miami to get to the ACC title game last year.)
11/2 @ Clemson (Clemson may be a little down, but they're still gonna be a monster on their home field. This game might decide an ACC title berth.)
11/30 @ Kentucky (Louisville still has some mental hurdles to clear in order to remain as a title contender. And this is the biggest hurdle of them all: A Kentucky program that has now beaten them 5 straight times.)

Bottom line: If the defense plays as nasty as they look, the Cardinals should remain near the top of the ACC in 2024. But with 8 starters to replace on the offense, I think that the Cardinals will fall short of the ACC title game in Charlotte. Unless, of course, Tyler Shough steps up.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ACC predictions

Alright... Here's how I see the bloated ACC shaping up to be in 2024:

1. Florida State (Conference champs)
2. Clemson (Maybe playoff team)
3. NC State
4. Louisville
5. Virginia Tech
6. Miami
7. SMU
8. North Carolina
9. Syracuse
10. Georgia Tech
11. California
12. Virginia
13. Boston College
14. Pittsburgh
15. Wake Forest
16. Stanford
17. Duke

And it's not over yet! A preview for Notre Dame is coming up soon!

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your inability to admit that FSU will be a standout team makes me doubt you have any idea what you're talking about if I'm being honest. You don't bring in 3 consecutive Top 20 classes with a damn good coach and not be a standout team. SMU is also a team to look out for. I'd say VTech is more like to finish outside of the top 5 in the conference than they do in the top 2.
FSU has lost most of their offense from last year - QB Travis, their leading rusher and their top 3 receivers are gone, and they lost several key guys on the defensive front 7. They are replacing a lot of their team, and I’ve never been impressed by Uiagalelei. And their schedule is hard - they draw a lot of good teams out of the ACC plus ND, Florida and Memphis in their out of conference schedule. FSU will be good again but getting to double digit wins again will be a challenging task and Uiagalelei will have to step up his game.
I agree about SMU being a team to look out for, they won 11 games last year and return most of their team including all of their key offensive players.
Louisville is interesting as well, their D should be stellar but their O has some questions, QB Shough has potential but has never seemed to have a consistent year and is injury prone, and their rushing game looks subpar.
Also NCST is a team to watch out for, their offense should be improved with the addition of Grayson McCall at QB and their D looks pretty good. They are consistently solid and they have a shot at the ACC Title Game.

Dolgevillefootballfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 891.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notre Dame

Preview segment: The Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last season: On paper, it was a very good year for the Irish. They got a 10-win season, a #14 ranking in the final AP Poll, and big wins over USC and Oregon State. But if you ask the Irish faithful, they'll tell you about the botched planning that the coaches did against Ohio State, or getting outclassed by Clemson and Louisville. Simply put, the Irish faithful are hankering for more from Marcus Freeman in his 3rd year at South Bend.

Good news: No big problems on the Irish defense! Far from it; the defensive front should be strong, and Xavier Watts returns to lead a proud Irish secondary. On offense, the WR group should be better thanks to a bevy of transfer talent.

Bad news: There's only one major issue for this Irish team, and that's the O-line. It is QUITE young, so it'll have to jell quickly for the Irish to run the ball effectively.

2024 X-Factor: New QB Riley Leonard (Despite all the SportsHoopla, Sam Hartman wasn't able to take the Irish passing game to the next level. Can Riley Leonard do it? I mean, he WAS quite a beast while running the show at Duke. If he can stay healthy, maybe he'll take advantage of all the weapons Notre Dame will provide him.)

Key games:
8/31 @ Texas A&M (This should be a GREAT game to watch in Week 1. How will the Irish O-line handle "The 12th Man" in College Station? And don't forget, A&M is now being coached by Mike Elko... who knows the Notre Dame program very well.)
9/14 @ Purdue (Anytime you visit an in-state rival, you have to be prepared for it.)
9/28 vs. Louisville (See my Louisville preview.)
11/9 vs. Florida State (Notre Dame has beaten Florida State 3 straight times. Can they make it 4-in-a-row?)
11/30 @ USC (The Irish are hoping to floss their teeth with the Trojans once again, but they DID lose the last time they visited them in L.A.)

Bottom line: Ara Parseghian won a national title in his 3rd year at Notre Dame. So did Dan Devine and Lou Holtz. And Brian Kelly got to the BCS title game in HIS 3rd year at South Bend. Now the Irish fans are looking at Marcus Freeman like "Well, looks like we got a VERY talented squad. What can YOU do, Marcus?".
At the very least, they're hoping that Notre Dame can make the new 12-team playoff with their awesome defense and manageable schedule. But if the Irish want to make a serious run, let's hope that the offense can find that 2nd gear.