• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason the Sox would bring in a 30 something pitcher for the back end of the rotation will be to provide some professional help and example for the younger pitchers. But, they already have that in Keuchel - and possibly one of the top pitchers on the market - lake Bauer or Stroman.
With all the latest gossip out there in the baseball land, I'm wondering if we'll have a shot at either of these two. Bauer is now 'open' to a multi-year contract and at his price, this will just about knock the Sox out of the running. I thought if he was only interested in a 1 year or 1+1, we could be talking. But if he's seeking one of those 5 or 6 year deals, I see zero chance of us landing him. And it looks like the Mets might make a qualifying offer to Stroman. I think the amount this year is $18.9m. That might be too tempting for him to turn down, as it might prove too much for any team out there to offer him a multi-year contract with an average year close to that qualifying offer. As the sports world turns...........................

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the latest gossip out there in the baseball land, I'm wondering if we'll have a shot at either of these two. Bauer is now 'open' to a multi-year contract and at his price, this will just about knock the Sox out of the running. I thought if he was only interested in a 1 year or 1+1, we could be talking. But if he's seeking one of those 5 or 6 year deals, I see zero chance of us landing him. And it looks like the Mets might make a qualifying offer to Stroman. I think the amount this year is $18.9m. That might be too tempting for him to turn down, as it might prove too much for any team out there to offer him a multi-year contract with an average year close to that qualifying offer. As the sports world turns...........................
That reminds me - the White Sox don't need no stinkin pitchers - we have the worlds best manager under contract - and he is even learning how not to be a racist in preparation for sharing the dugout with Timmy Anderson.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something to talk about - projected pitching coach prospects.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is ray berres still alive? johnny sain?
"Spahn and Sain and pray for rain" One of my Dad's favorite baseball quotes. I hear Seaver was interested, but got detoured recently.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based largely on realities as to whether or not we can sign this or that guy, I'm beginning to feel that the signing which would not only benefit us as a team, but also more likely to happen, is by focusing on getting Michael Brantley to sign on the dotted line and to a lesser extent, also inking Joc Pederson. Make no mistake about it, pitching remains far and away our top need, but if Bauer is seeking a multi-year deal and at his cost, then I doubt we have any chance to sign him. The #2 rated FA starter is Stroman, but the Mets made a QO and at $18.9m and with him not having pitched at all in 2020, I don't see any team coming up with a better offer, at least not per annum. So I'm guessing he'll take the offer. The same with Kevin Gausman, who might otherwise make for a decent third choice. But he too received a QO from the Giants and will likely stay put. So we're running out of starting pitchers that are must-sign. Maybe Odorizzi, Tanaka, Walker, Quintana - all possibilities, but none of whom seem to be anything beyond a #4/5 starter. Doesn't mean I don't want to sign any of them, just that if we're looking for that definitive 2nd or 3rd in the rotation guy, none of them fit the bill.

So that leads me back to what is our next two most pressing needs, which is RF, preferably lefty hitting, and DH. Brantley is an OF, altho he's rarely played any RF. But the man is as consistent with the bat (and LH at that) as anyone out there looking for a new contract. So at worst he primarily takes over the DH, with the occasional fling in RF. Ideally, assuming Vaughn isn't ready to hit the majors, at least early on, a good signing would also be Pederson, another lefty OF who can platoon with Engel. Pederson is notorious for only hitting RH pitching successfully, and he's got power as well. This would free up Brantley to serve primarily as a DH, and filling in at LF or RF when needed. Thoughts?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's sucker some team with a Rey Lopez, Collins - Fry package for a LF riding pine behind Mookie or someone.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's sucker some team with a Rey Lopez, Collins - Fry package for a LF riding pine behind Mookie or someone.
I like when @ChiSoxFan does our negotiating. "Got an ace with four years left on his contract you want to trade? We'll give you three of our Top 100 prospects: 98, 99, & 100. Deal?"

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like when @ChiSoxFan does our negotiating. "Got an ace with four years left on his contract you want to trade? We'll give you three of our Top 100 prospects: 98, 99, & 100. Deal?"
So your saying that I should be aware that when I suggest a trade deal for the Sox @ChiSoxFan forces me to a very high level of competitive excellence?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article in the "Athletic" on Dave Dombrowski who is a good friend of Tony La Russa going back to their White Sox days in the 80s. Dombrowski mentioned that La Russa was Bilingual in Spanish. I'd say that changes my opinion of this managerial hire - at least - marginally. It's hard to have a serious conversation with a ballplayer - through Billy Russo.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then there were........two?

Not hardly. No doubt, with the Indians letting their star closer Hand walk and now if they are indeed determined to move Lindor, it could possibly result in the Twins remaining as the only serious rival for the Sox to claim the Central in '21. Lindor was hardly exactly ass-kicking in his performance this past asterisk season. But he's still a force to be reckoned with and remains the epicenter of their lineup, not to mention his outstanding defense at short. His departure would greatly lessen an already weak hitting ballclub. Yet they still have the best rotation in the division, if not the AL altogether, so that alone would continue making them a tough team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article in the "Athletic" on Dave Dombrowski who is a good friend of Tony La Russa going back to their White Sox days in the 80s. Dombrowski mentioned that La Russa was Bilingual in Spanish. I'd say that changes my opinion of this managerial hire - at least - marginally. It's hard to have a serious conversation with a ballplayer - through Billy Russo.
I had no idea TLR is bilingual. Good to know. Let's face it, the man is a walking combination baseball dictionary/encyclopedia. And even tho he's been out of the dugout for 9 years, he's always remained very much in the game from an executive and advisory standpoint. I have zero doubt that he's lost so much as a drop of mental acuity, so he'll easily handle the X's & O's part his duties. I've even suggested that maybe with his excellent relationship with Reinsdorf, he might be instrumental in helping obtain a key FA here or there, or at least opening up Jerry's tight pocketbook. My big concern, as I'm sure it is for every Sox fan, is how he'll relate to the players, how he'll handle them on a day in-day out basis. This still remains a rather large X factor in judging how he'll perform as a manager.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The case for Ozuna (the best FA pick for each team from the MLB website):

White Sox: Marcell Ozuna

Only the Rangers had a lower OPS from the designated hitter spot than the White Sox, whose .588 was 131 points below the AL average. Edwin Encarnación was a disappointment in 2020, and with James McCann likely departing via free agency, Yasmani Grandal will see most of his time behind the plate. Ozuna led the NL in home runs and RBIs, and while he is certainly capable of playing the outfield, teams will pursue him for his big bat. Adding Ozuna to the White Sox lineup would likely make Chicago the AL Central favorite heading into 2021.

Now the big X-factor in all this is Andrew Vaughn. If he's major league ready, there's no reason why he can't spend at least a sizable portion of the season as the team's DH. He could also spell Abreu at 1st, maybe even a little bit for Moncada at 3rd and even Eloy in LF. My guess is between subbing for those latter two, we're probably talking a 8-10 games tops, so I wouldn't put too much stock into that. But therein lies the big IF. Maybe the Sox want Vaughn to spend most, if not all of '21 gaining more experience in the minors, and if so, then Ozuna would be the perfect fit.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OR ... he'd be 2021's version of 2020's encarnacion!
Half full iddy, half full!!! :rockon:

Huge difference in age. Ozuna is at best is reaching his very peak or at worst just beginning the downside of his career. He's just getting set to turn 30, so he has a ton of baseball life ahead of him.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half full iddy, half full!!! :rockon:

Huge difference in age. Ozuna is at best is reaching his very peak or at worst just beginning the downside of his career. He's just getting set to turn 30, so he has a ton of baseball life ahead of him.
remember when we got nick swisher? traded gio gonzalez and 2 others for him? wasn't great but good looking and improving player and we got him at age 27 ..... and he hit .219! we gave him away to the yankees and he went on to have a very good career?
i know it's not typical but ... it's something about the sox. encarnacion wasn't washed up when we got him. he wasn't washed up UNTIL we got him!
you're probably right about ozuna but he'll be 30 before the season starts. AND he'll cost $20M a year!
i've just learned to be "half empty" when it comes to the sox.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
remember when we got nick swisher? traded gio gonzalez and 2 others for him? wasn't great but good looking and improving player and we got him at age 27 ..... and he hit .219! we gave him away to the yankees and he went on to have a very good career?
i know it's not typical but ... it's something about the sox. encarnacion wasn't washed up when we got him. he wasn't washed up UNTIL we got him!
you're probably right about ozuna but he'll be 30 before the season starts. i've just learned to be "half empty" when it comes to the sox.
That Swisher trade was horrendous, ranking right up there with Shields for Tatis Jr as one of the all time worst trades by the Sox - or at least in the years that I've been following them.

Back to Ozuna, I'm still more for the Sox going after Brantley, but if they feel that Vaughn needs another year before joining the parent roster, then I'd love for them to ink Ozuna to a one year or 1+1 deal, if that's feasible.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Swisher trade was horrendous, ranking right up there with Shields for Tatis Jr as one of the all time worst trades by the Sox - or at least in the years that I've been following them.

Back to Ozuna, I'm still more for the Sox going after Brantley, but if they feel that Vaughn needs another year before joining the parent roster, then I'd love for them to ink Ozuna to a one year or 1+1 deal, if that's feasible.
i'd rather save $20M and let vaughn let on the big team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd rather save $20M and let vaughn let on the big team.
Ok wait...........first you're always ragging on Reinsdorf for being notoriously cheap - and I might add in many instances I fully agree - but all of a sudden you're now for penny pinching??? As for Vaughn, no one on this board is higher on the kid than me. But he missed an entire year of competitive baseball, and that's after coming straight out of college. He may not be major league ready yet. What I want for him is when he's called up, that he STAYS up. I'm of course all for seeing how he handles ST, but to me he'd have to virtually tear it up in order to go north with the team when it breaks camp. And my definition of him tearing it up is something along the lines of batting over .400 and going yard a number of times.