• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure, why waste any time, season's over.....let's get this bad boy rollin'. Among the topics to be discussed in the coming weeks & months:

*What are the needs to make our team better and go further into next year's postseason (yes, we WILL be going back)
*Free agents we can target
*Who do you see departing, trade candidates, etc.
*Expectations of our top prospects and other minor leaguers
*Kopech.....does he show up at the start of camp

Obviously, this won't be the only thread dedicated to offseason activities, but like Mingo's 'Random Thoughts' thread, it can serve as a general go-to spot for us to discuss all things White Sox.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll get it started with the Capt Obvious request: We need a 3rd starter and we need one bad. In fact it dwarfs all other needs for this club. Far and away the best choice is pending FA Trevor Bauer. He'll be easily the most sought after pitcher in the market, so signing him will not come cheaply. His MO has been to sign just one year contracts to maximize the dollar value of that particular year. If he continues in this vein, it would be a natural for Hahn to ink him. But even if he wanted a multi-year deal, I'd hope the Sox would go for it. Another option, previously mentioned by one of the guys in here, is Marcus Stroman. Due to sitting out this season for covid reasons, he might not have any choice but to sign a one year deal to prove his worth. I see him somewhat as a poor man's Bauer, but he's probably better than any current #3 on our team at the present.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are not far away from dominance.

Starting pitching has to be shored up. Giolito - Keuchel and the seven dwarfs. Dunning, Kopech, Stievers and Crochet all might be good risks for spots 4 and 5 in the rotation, but a dependable #3 starter is at the top of my shopping list.

Mazara is not the answer in Right Field - even though - I for one - appreciated his approach to team play at the end of the season and in the playoffs - I'd rather have Engel or Leuery play RF, but a left handed hitting FA might be out there next season.

I hope Vaughn is ready to replace Encarnacion - and that will be a plus addition to an already potent lineup. If Vaughn is not ready then Yermin Mercedes certainly is ready.

The Sox have minor league talent who can be moved in trades

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are not far away from dominance.

Starting pitching has to be shored up. Giolito - Keuchel and the seven dwarfs. Dunning, Kopech, Stievers and Crochet all might be good risks for spots 4 and 5 in the rotation, but a dependable #3 starter is at the top of my shopping list.

Mazara is not the answer in Right Field - even though - I for one - appreciated his approach to team play at the end of the season and in the playoffs - I'd rather have Engel or Leuery play RF, but a left handed hitting FA might be out there next season.

I hope Vaughn is ready to replace Encarnacion - and that will be a plus addition to an already potent lineup. If Vaughn is not ready then Yermin Mercedes certainly is ready.

The Sox have minor league talent who can be moved in trades
first .... that's FOUR dwarves. :D

i have not gotten the impression crochet should be a starter. he's fast ... not much else. IF he adds a pitch or two then maybe but he looks like a 1 inning guy to me.

mazara should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

encarnacion should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

don't know why you say yermin is 'certainly' ready. cause he hit a couple hr's in the spring. he hasn't proven anything other than he should have a shot.

also: rodon should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

gio gonzalez should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

reynaldo lopez should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

steve cishek should never wear a sox uniform again! PERIOD!

Last edited:

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Rodon, Encarnacion and Lopez are way up on my "please no more of these guys" list. Mazara is pretty bad, but if we're gonna fill SP with a reasonable amount of cash, and have Engel as support, I presume RF is on our "we'll give it another year" list...so I'm just bracing that he stays on.

Bringing Vaughn up or signing a reasonable DH along with a big time starting pitcher signing...

Then just a little bit of this and that to even things out in the middle ground should be a successful offseason and put us in position. It's not really that much of an ask...so it should be in the bag.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i have not gotten the impression crochet should be a starter. he's fast ... not much else. IF he adds a pitch or two then maybe but he looks like a 1 inning guy to me.

don't know why you say yermin is 'certainly' ready. cause he hit a couple hr's in the spring. he hasn't proven anything other than he should have a shot.

I pretty much agree with your personnel judgements here. Except Crochet was drafted as a starter and has always been a starter in College and HS. He was a very good slider and an adequate change up - the Sox just used him like they used Sale when he came up to the majors. I expect Crochet will start in AAA next season as a starter and be called up during the season if all goes well.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I pretty much agree with your personnel judgements here. Except Crochet was drafted as a starter and has always been a starter in College and HS. He was a very good slider and an adequate change up - the Sox just used him like they used Sale when he came up to the majors. I expect Crochet will start in AAA next season as a starter and be called up during the season if all goes well.
i actually hope you are right but, i'd caution you to not expect someone who reminds you of someone (in this case sale) to work out the same way. crochet may have been a starter but he was an average one in college (10-9 4.64). i've seen the movement on his pitches and they do not compare to sale's imo. i would bet heavily that he will be a short reliever in the majors.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I pretty much agree with everything you mentioned here, especially regarding the players/pitchers who should no longer wear a White Sox uniform. One of them, Cishek, is already gone. A shame too, because he was quite the dependable reliever in his two years with the Cubs. Not sure we'll sim[ply get rid of Mazara. I doubt we'll just flat out release him. Maybe if we can pull off some sort of trade - that would be ideal. The sooner we release Rodon, the happier I'll be.

I'm also of the belief that Crochet's future will be as a closer, even tho the Sox drafted him as a starter in mind.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we're not the only ones who think going after Bauer should be Priority One. Either that or these sports writers are reading our posts. :rockon:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that I get to play a crazed member of the crowd - I chuckle with glee that the threat of Cishek has been removed from my list potential irritations for next season. Cishek gets to be a charter member in the "let me sign with the White Sox because I can't play baseball anymore" club.

There's some more barn cleaning to do - I'll get the pitchforks. :)

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we're not the only ones who think going after Bauer should be Priority One. Either that or these sports writers are reading our posts. :rockon:

The media pressure is a nice pile-on for this...but I don't even think it's necessary. This is like a no-brainer. Jerry will get it done. My body is ready. Bauer specifically would really bury the hype meter needle.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The media pressure is a nice pile-on for this...but I don't even think it's necessary. This is like a no-brainer. Jerry will get it done. My body is ready. Bauer specifically would really bury the hype meter needle.
seems you have a lot of faith in one of the worst owners in baseball. i don't believe jerry WILL get it done. hahn MAY MAKE jerry open his wallet but i'll believe it only when i see it.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems you have a lot of faith in one of the worst owners in baseball. i don't believe jerry WILL get it done. hahn MAY MAKE jerry open his wallet but i'll believe it only when i see it.

It'll happen. Jerry loves the White Sox and he wants a legacy with them. Not signing a premiere pitcher would put him on the wrong side of that history...You think he got lambasted about Machado? P'shaw. Have him trot out a White Sox team again next season with only Giolito/Keuchel and our young arms. He'll be destroyed. Rightfully so. So whether it's fan/media pressure, Hahn, pure excitement personally about the team or just flat out obviousness smacking him in the face...This is going to happen.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - the White Sox always get their targets - even if is years after the were any good.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll happen. Jerry loves the White Sox and he wants a legacy with them. Not signing a premiere pitcher would put him on the wrong side of that history...You think he got lambasted about Machado? P'shaw. Have him trot out a White Sox team again next season with only Giolito/Keuchel and our young arms. He'll be destroyed. Rightfully so. So whether it's fan/media pressure, Hahn, pure excitement personally about the team or just flat out obviousness smacking him in the face...This is going to happen.
:rolleyes: :cheer2:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya Jidster, I think the Sox will go all out to land Bauer, I really do.

BUT................we went all out to sign Wheeler, yet he ended up taking less $$$ to stay on the east coast and pitch for the Phillies (fucking loser).

I think with Bauer tho, he's already kind of a midwest-ish guy, having pitched for the Tribe and Reds, so the geography won't work against us. Plus he's a bit out there in the personality dept, and I think he'd mesh well with our winning team, especially TA. The key will be the Sox can't go cheapskate on trying to sign him. If they offer a top dollar contract, or at least be right up there with the other clubs, then we have an excellent chance.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very impressed with Baur - the Sox got him for some HRs, but he doesn't give up many gopher balls statistically. His dedication to his game - fits the dedication you see with Giolito and Keuchel - there are a lot of matches on the want list that Baur checks off.