• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Southside Showdown has three Braves free agents for consideration that the Sox could possibly chase this Fall/Winter:

In short:
Shane Greene, RP
Mike Foltynewicz, SP
Marcell Ozuna, OF/DH

Of the three, Greene seems to be the wisest choice and most logical candidate for the Sox. One can argue that the pen is our strength, therefore Greene should not be a priority. While I agree in part (after all, we do have a very good pen), one can never have enough quality pitching, whether it's in the rotation or relief. So I'd be fine with the Sox going after this guy. Just his name alone should disqualify Foltynewicz - ok, just kidding, but nothing in his game screams for us signing him. His career numbers are at best average, altho he did have a pretty good year in '18. The trouble is, that was his only good season. I guess if he's healthy, he could possibly serve as an innings eater on the back end of the rotation, otherwise meh. Now of course no one questions Ozuna's bat, but we're already a bit topheavy in DH-level ballplayers. He would actually be a defensive downgrade to Mazara - a frightening thought at that. We already have a defensive weak link in the OF by the name of Jimenez, we don't need two. The only way I could see going after him in what will likely be a fat contract is if we're not ready to promote Vaughn in '21, and I'm hoping we are.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lake Shore Drive - agreed. Green looks like a fine player for the bullpen. The Sox could have had Ozuna last year - I was surprised to see he got 56 RBIs.

Vaughn will playing in the Encarnacion role from last year - guaranteed (unless injured).

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting argument for the Sox to sign Michael Brantley:

One thing most of us, including me, tend to forget is Vaughn might not be ready to join the bigs next season, and likely for sure not to start the campaign right out of the gate. This is largely due to having no minor league season to play in '20. So he doesn't have much of a professional track record to go on. I have to confess I'm not big on going after a DH-only or DH-primarily player because we already have enough of them on the roster, and this is even after cutting Encarnacion, which should be one of Hahn's first actions this offseason. But Brantley can at least play a quality OF, with LF being his strongest position. But no matter where they put him, he wouldn't be an embarrassment. And for the most part, he would serve as our top DH and bring a much valued LH bat to the mix. I kinda like the idea.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting argument for the Sox to sign Michael Brantley:

One thing most of us, including me, tend to forget is Vaughn might not be ready to join the bigs next season, and likely for sure not to start the campaign right out of the gate. This is largely due to having no minor league season to play in '20. So he doesn't have much of a professional track record to go on. I have to confess I'm not big on going after a DH-only or DH-primarily player because we already have enough of them on the roster, and this is even after cutting Encarnacion, which should be one of Hahn's first actions this offseason. But Brantley can at least play a quality OF, with LF being his strongest position. But no matter where they put him, he wouldn't be an embarrassment. And for the most part, he would serve as our top DH and bring a much valued LH bat to the mix. I kinda like the idea.
i have one issue with that. $16-18,000,000!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geoff Blum sighting!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*play for organization for 40 games...hit 2 home runs...Legend status*

My kinda guy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i have one issue with that. $16-18,000,000!
Gotta say, that's a sizable issue. I'd be less concerned about those figures if we're talking only one season. But if Brantley can command a multi-year contract and even close to those numbers, that pretty much takes us out of it.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say, that's a sizable issue. I'd be less concerned about those figures if we're talking only one season. But if Brantley can command a multi-year contract and even close to those numbers, that pretty much takes us out of it.

Don't encourage iddy when the issue at hand is saving Jerry's money.

SPEND IT ALL YOU REINSDORF CHEAP SON OF A B*TCH. YOU OWE US FOR A DECADE OF ASS...AND THAT AIN'T EVEN COUNTING BRINGING THE BULLS INTO IT.

But in this case, Vaughn/castoff dh and a stud pitcher would be better than Brantley and a minor league/castoff pitcher.

So I'll give some leeway.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

SPEND IT ALL YOU REINSDORF CHEAP SON OF A B*TCH. YOU OWE US FOR A DECADE OF ASS...AND THAT AIN'T EVEN COUNTING BRINGING THE BULLS INTO IT.

But in this case, Vaughn/castoff dh and a stud pitcher would be better than Brantley and a minor league/castoff pitcher.

No argument there. Now if only Reinsdorf would read our posts and act accordingly. :lm:

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's just that i've seen them blow chunks of money before on 'over 30' guys and more often than not it's come back to haunt the team. i see no need for the hurry you appear to be in. hell, at 75, if i can be patient .... can't you? his pockets aren't so deep that making a bad buy can be sloughed off.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox have the nucleus of talent in place - just don't blow it!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox have the nucleus of talent in place - just don't blow it!
That's pretty much my take, which is why I'm more for FA signings than trades. And even then only signing one if he really fills a distinct need. I'm much more inclined to hold onto our in-house talent, which of course includes our prospects. Signing a FA may cost more, but at least you're not sacrificing the nucleus.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's just that i've seen them blow chunks of money before on 'over 30' guys and more often than not it's come back to haunt the team. i see no need for the hurry you appear to be in. hell, at 75, if i can be patient .... can't you? his pockets aren't so deep that making a bad buy can be sloughed off.

I mean, if the team honestly makes an assessment that there is no viable 1-3 level starter available on the FA market, then fine don't just sign some loser. But there are viable pitchers that will be out there, and there is zero reason not to sign one....particularly the one that is at the top of the White Sox's list. It's not about patience. This is an obvious move. Everyone had us in the gutter in 2005. Stuff can happen fast. We're on the cusp of seriously competing in 2021, but we'll be in deep sh*t going into a 162 game season with no viable #3...much less a playoff series.

So yeah, they could blow it signing the wrong guy because that stuff happens. But make no mistake, a signing should be made this offseason. We can't go with 5 from the current roster again in our starting rotation. There's too many question marks. We need to fill at least one of our holes there with a reliable playoff-ready free agent pitcher. If we do and he ends up a loser, yeah that will be sad...but that's what scouts and gm's are for...to not pick the loser. And if there is doubt even after evaluating our options, sign a guy to a shorter contract to limit our exposure. It's not a question about if, it's about when and who for me. How much is a consideration I will give Jerry and co. a much shorter leash on.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, if the team honestly makes an assessment that there is no viable 1-3 level starter available on the FA market, then fine don't just sign some loser. But there are viable pitchers that will be out there, and there is zero reason not to sign one....particularly the one that is at the top of the White Sox's list. It's not about patience. This is an obvious move. Everyone had us in the gutter in 2005. Stuff can happen fast. We're on the cusp of seriously competing in 2021, but we'll be in deep sh*t going into a 162 game season with no viable #3...much less a playoff series.

So yeah, they could blow it signing the wrong guy because that stuff happens. But make no mistake, a signing should be made this offseason. We can't go with 5 from the current roster again in our starting rotation. There's too many question marks. We need to fill at least one of our holes there with a reliable playoff-ready free agent pitcher. If we do and he ends up a loser, yeah that will be sad...but that's what scouts and gm's are for...to not pick the loser. And if there is doubt even after evaluating our options, sign a guy to a shorter contract to limit our exposure. It's not a question about if, it's about when and who for me. How much is a consideration I will give Jerry and co. a much shorter leash on.
i don't know what the hell you're talking about. of COURSE we need to sign a pitcher! my comment was about blowing $16-18 million on an outfielder!

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know what the hell you're talking about. of COURSE we need to sign a pitcher! my comment was about blowing $16-18 million on an outfielder!

Well yeah...F*ck that guy. *high five*

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 items on the White Sox offseason to-do list (aka DUH):