• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm skeptical that we re-sign McCann or sign another RF.
I think McCann is virtually a sure loss and it makes sense. He's earned his right to sign a bigger contract with another team and to land a starter's role. I tend to agree with you regarding RF as well, altho my personal preference would be sign Pederson, then trade Mazara for a ham sandwich. But if the Sox are serious about going after a FA starting pitcher, with hopefully Bauer being our prime target, then this would likely preclude them from spending any serious bucks on the RF spot, or any other position player for that matter.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think McCann is virtually a sure loss and it makes sense. He's earned his right to sign a bigger contract with another team and to land a starter's role. I tend to agree with you regarding RF as well, altho my personal preference would be sign Pederson, then trade Mazara for a ham sandwich. But if the Sox are serious about going after a FA starting pitcher, with hopefully Bauer being our prime target, then this would likely preclude them from spending any serious bucks on the RF spot, or any other position player for that matter.

We really did do a good thing with Encarnacion, despite his sucking. He bought us a year for Vaughn and had he panned out we could have given it another year. As is, we go with the youth a little earlier similar to Madrigal, but we have a piece in place to make it happen. Plus he's first base so with McCann gone we can do a rotation with Abreu/Vaughn/Grandal/(possibly Mercedes?) at DH and 1B.

Speaking of...What's our status on backup catcher? Under assumption McCann is gone, is it for sure Collins or are we on the Mercedes train? Dude's 27 years old so if it's ever gonna happen...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really did do a good thing with Encarnacion, despite his sucking. He bought us a year for Vaughn and had he panned out we could have given it another year. As is, we go with the youth a little earlier similar to Madrigal, but we have a piece in place to make it happen. Plus he's first base so with McCann gone we can do a rotation with Abreu/Vaughn/Grandal/(possibly Mercedes?) at DH and 1B.

Speaking of...What's our status on backup catcher? Under assumption McCann is gone, is it for sure Collins or are we on the Mercedes train? Dude's 27 years old so if it's ever gonna happen...
I know what you mean, Collins has never come close to living up to his #1 pick status. He has some pop in his bat, which might allow for him to serve in a hybrid C/1B/DH capacity. Actually, the best catcher defensively in the organization is Seby Zavala, altho his stick isn't much. And then there's Yermin Mercedes. We sure seem to have a batch of 27-28 year old back up catchers in our system. I think the Sox would be wise to start scouting for one with respect to next year's draft.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is a lefty bat with power - so they always get more chances - just the way it is. IMO - Collins is a better catcher than Mercedes.

If Moncada returns to the kind of season he had two years ago - A lot of the problem with Righties will be taken care of right there.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is a lefty bat with power - so they always get more chances - just the way it is. IMO - Collins is a better catcher than Mercedes.

If Moncada returns to the kind of season he had two years ago - A lot of the problem with Righties will be taken care of right there.

Moncada becoming good again is a big piece of our juggernaut puzzle. Maybe White Sox fans should take up collection to send him to Walter Reed.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if collins is a better catcher than yermin then yermin must be one god-awful catcher. ... cause collins SUCKS at catching!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if collins is a better catcher than yermin then yermin must be one god-awful catcher. ... cause collins SUCKS at catching!
Yes - Bingo!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article indicates 5 holes to fill, but one of them mentioned is starting pitching.

So 3 of the 5 rotation spots could be considered up for grabs, being that we still don't know the status of Kopech, and neither Dunning nor Cease outright proved they belong in the regular rotation. So in theory, it can be argued (rather weakly) that there are 7 holes to fill. Obviously, we're not going to go outside to fill 3 rotation spots, but I do see Hahn attempting to fill at least one from the outside. As for the other holes, pretty much every one of them can be addressed internally, or at the very least given a shot to fill internally before making any other decisions. If we can get Pederson at a relative bargain, I'd love to see Hahn go after him. He and Engel would make for the perfect platoon in RF.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article indicates 5 holes to fill, but one of them mentioned is starting pitching.

So 3 of the 5 rotation spots could be considered up for grabs, being that we still don't know the status of Kopech, and neither Dunning nor Cease outright proved they belong in the regular rotation. So in theory, it can be argued (rather weakly) that there are 7 holes to fill. Obviously, we're not going to go outside to fill 3 rotation spots, but I do see Hahn attempting to fill at least one from the outside. As for the other holes, pretty much every one of them can be addressed internally, or at the very least given a shot to fill internally before making any other decisions. If we can get Pederson at a relative bargain, I'd love to see Hahn go after him. He and Engel would make for the perfect platoon in RF.
i don't think we're going to sign bauer for one year @ $30M so who else looks like a decent solid starter?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't think we're going to sign bauer for one year @ $30M so who else looks like a decent solid starter?
First off, I don't think Bauer is going to get $30mil. I know that number has been bandied about when discussing his upcoming contract, but in this shortened covid season coupled with question marks about a full season next year, it's quite possible that no team will offer that kind of coin. But even if the offers top off at say $25 mil, would we still sign him? Can't say for sure, but his penchant for wanting only one year contracts definitely works in our favor.

But assuming he signs elsewhere, the pickings are kinda slim as to who else we could ink. Marcus Stroman is pretty much considered next in line. A decent pitcher who can give us innings, but he sat out this year for covid reasons. He pitched a full season in '19, but missed time in '18 due to injuries. I think he'd be a lot riskier of a signing. Jake Odorizzi, Garrett Richards, Alex Wood, even our old pal Jose Quintana might normally suffice, but all are coming off recent injuries or have histories thereof. A lot of way-past-their-primes hurlers, who would likely sign at basement bargain dollars are also available as well.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off, I don't think Bauer is going to get $30mil. I know that number has been bandied about when discussing his upcoming contract, but in this shortened covid season coupled with question marks about a full season next year, it's quite possible that no team will offer that kind of coin. But even if the offers top off at say $25 mil, would we still sign him? Can't say for sure, but his penchant for wanting only one year contracts definitely works in our favor.

But assuming he signs elsewhere, the pickings are kinda slim as to who else we could ink. Marcus Stroman is pretty much considered next in line. A decent pitcher who can give us innings, but he sat out this year for covid reasons. He pitched a full season in '19, but missed time in '18 due to injuries. I think he'd be a lot riskier of a signing. Jake Odorizzi, Garrett Richards, Alex Wood, even our old pal Jose Quintana might normally suffice, but all are coming off recent injuries or have histories thereof. A lot of way-past-their-primes hurlers, who would likely sign at basement bargain dollars are also available as well.
I don't see the Sox signing Bauer - I think you may see them kick the tires on Odorizzi and Quintana - sign both - hope at least one of them works out.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see the Sox signing Bauer - I think you may see them kick the tires on Odorizzi and Quintana - sign both - hope at least one of them works out.
I don't see them signing him for $30 mil, that's for sure. $23-25 mil for one season only? It might still be unlikely, but at least in that range I wouldn't rule it out. Reinsdorf is not getting any younger and if he wants to get himself another trophy before signing off, Bauer would give us the best chance at this.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever our #1 prospect for SP is will be signed on day 1 of free agency. If that player chooses somebody else and/or our offer isn't good enough, then it'll be a clusterf*ck. We'll have our answer of where this thing is going on day 1 though.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoever our #1 prospect for SP is will be signed on day 1 of free agency. If that player chooses somebody else and/or our offer isn't good enough, then it'll be a clusterf*ck. We'll have our answer of where this thing is going on day 1 though.
Well, if we are to assume that Bauer is Target One, and that's a very fair assumption, I'd be mighty surprised at his and especially his agent's agreement to sign on day one without first testing the waters and waiting to see if interested teams get into a bidding frenzy. Of course if one team comes right out of the gate with some humongoid offer, then your suggestion carries more validity. We can never rule out this possibility, altho as I previously mentioned, with all this covid shit taking place, I'm still of the belief that free agency will start with a crawl. Should be interesting no matter how it all plays out.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i doubt very much a guy like bauer (and by that i mean a guy whose open desire to max his salary year by year) wil
l sign on day one. with that attitude he will try to squeeze every last drop of interest before signing. i already don't care for the greed this guy is displaying.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them signing him for $30 mil, that's for sure. $23-25 mil for one season only? It might still be unlikely, but at least in that range I wouldn't rule it out. Reinsdorf is not getting any younger and if he wants to get himself another trophy before signing off, Bauer would give us the best chance at this.
I'm thinking the big money goes to Giolito for an extension this next season. I'll take Bauer too - what to I care what is spent? But, I'm guessing the Sox don't mind buying a championship team - it is just they don't want to spend 1 penny more than they have too.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4hsfrk.jpg

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the Sox ever signing a top free agent pitcher. Reinsdorf doesn't mind spending the money - he minds spending the money and finding out he got a broken pitcher.

The Sox have Giolito - who has effectively replaced Sale. They need a 2 or 3 starter or two.

The Sox have $17 million just in discontinuing Encarnacion ($12 mil) and Gio Gonzales ($5 mil) - with Merecedes - and Vaughn sitting there they don't need hitters (except RF with left handed power) they need starting pitching. Leuery Garcia and Moncada both had down years, but are roster help with Right handed pitching.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the Sox ever signing a top free agent pitcher. Reinsdorf doesn't mind spending the money - he minds spending the money and finding out he got a broken pitcher.

The Sox have Giolito - who has effectively replaced Sale. They need a 2 or 3 starter or two.

The Sox have $17 million just in discontinuing Encarnacion ($12 mil) and Gio Gonzales ($5 mil) - with Merecedes - and Vaughn sitting there they don't need hitters (except RF with left handed power) they need starting pitching. Leuery Garcia and Moncada both had down years, but are roster help with Right handed pitching.

The biggest one I can remember is Fatty Wells...