• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The '20-'21 White Sox offseason

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest one I can remember is Fatty Wells...

Well, that and my least favorite pitcher in history....Navarro.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sox owe it to themselves and Zack Collins to give him a shot at playing a McCann like role. Maybe they have a different view of him, but, if so, I don't see it. Plus the Sox need left handed power because a steady diet of righties sent them down at the end of the season. I think Collins has a higher ceiling than McCann's standard (which is very good). I admit he hasn't shown anything on the MLB level yet. In the minors -he would concentrate on hitting one year and improve that - then the next year on catching to improve that while the hitting went to pieces. You have to play regularly in order to get a rhythm.

Among White Sox rookie pitchers - I would rank them this way:

1) Kopech
2) Cease
3) Lambert
4) Dunning
5) Stievers
6) ReyLo
7) Benardo Flores

Crochet - could jump ahead of the line or to the end.

Konner Pilkinton and Will Kincanon are a couple years away.

Then there's Dalquist, Thompson and Kelley are also a couple years away.

All we are asking for is a 4th and 5th starter out of 1-7 plus Crochet. That's 4 prospects for each job. Still waiting to hear about Crochet's condition.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Sox owe it to themselves and Zack Collins to give him a shot at playing a McCann like role. Maybe they have a different view of him, but, if so, I don't see it. Plus the Sox need left handed power because a steady diet of righties sent them down at the end of the season. I think Collins has a higher ceiling than McCann's standard (which is very good). I admit he hasn't shown anything on the MLB level yet. In the minors -he would concentrate on hitting one year and improve that - then the next year on catching to improve that while the hitting went to pieces. You have to play regularly in order to get a rhythm.

Among White Sox rookie pitchers - I would rank them this way:

1) Kopech
2) Cease
3) Lambert
4) Dunning
5) Stievers
6) ReyLo
7) Benardo Flores

Crochet - could jump ahead of the line or to the end.

Konner Pilkinton and Will Kincanon are a couple years away.

Then there's Dalquist, Thompson and Kelley are also a couple years away.

All we are asking for is a 4th and 5th starter out of 1-7 plus Crochet. That's 4 prospects for each job. Still waiting to hear about Crochet's condition.
Good, inclusive post. I agree that the Sox will likely give Collins every chance to show he can serve as a capable backup catcher, as well as backup 1B and DH for that matter, if for no other reason than to try and justify his #1 pick worthiness. As for the cache of young arms who might or should be able to step up and help fill some of those rotation holes, aside from Kopech, I'm not ready to pencil in any other name you mentioned. And even in Kopech we have a mystery wrapped inside an enigma as to where he'll be in '21. Dunning and Cease had their flashes, but both, especially Cease, proved to be way too inconsistent. And I'm ready to say buhbye to ReyLo, Flores, and without question, Rodon. I really feel that Hahn needs to sign a veteran starting pitcher this winter if we're to seriously contend for a title next year. Bauer would be ideal, but there are other fallbacks.

My other huge concern now is Crochet. The longer there is no update on his status, the more convinced I am that it's something major. I hope not, but the ol' gut is arguing to the contrary.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting take as to why we should sign Stroman over Bauer, and it's not just for $$$ reasons:

I have to say, the Sox infield defense has improved dramatically, so there is some logic as to Stroman's fit with the team. Make no question about it, Bauer should still be and is likely our #1 target. But Stroman as an alternative is certainly more appealing than I previously imagined.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting take as to why we should sign Stroman over Bauer, and it's not just for $$$ reasons:

I have to say, the Sox infield defense has improved dramatically, so there is some logic as to Stroman's fit with the team. Make no question about it, Bauer should still be and is likely our #1 target. But Stroman as an alternative is certainly more appealing than I previously imagined.
I'm sold on Stroman - nice find. Ground ball pitchers are the ticket.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sold on Stroman - nice find. Ground ball pitchers are the ticket.
Definitely growing on me too. I knew he wasn't a power pitcher, but I wasn't aware how much he induces ground balls, plus I didn't know he has a GG to boot. Still nervous that he sat out this year. Kinda strange when you think about it, if we were to sign him, that could mean two fifths of our rotation (him and Kopech) were MIA this season, and not for injury reasons.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what do they mean when they say bauer has a "no-filter attitude"

it always make a player look good when they show nothing but his highlights, but did you notice how many men were on base for almost all those plays?
still, i think i'd be happy with this guy. his over-alls look good.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do they mean when they say bauer has a "no-filter attitude"

it always make a player look good when they show nothing but his highlights, but did you notice how many men were on base for almost all those plays?
still, i think i'd be happy with this guy. his over-alls look good.
It means the man has a bit of a quirky personna to say the least. He tweets a lot and some of it can be off the wall. But he's a damn good pitcher and if we have even a ghost of a chance at signing him, we should go for it - at least give it the ol' college try.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bauer or Stroman are both reasonable choices tbh. We just need a dependable third starter with playoff experience and that can give us good amount of innings in the regular season....similar to Keuchel. Both fit that bill. I think I just expect the former more because I sense our brass going after a Clevelend boy because they've seen a lot more of him up close and personal. One of those, we KNOW this guy is good as we've seen it far too many times firsthand deal.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen Keepers:

Bummer
Heuer
Foster
Marshall
Burdi

Maybes:

Fry (showed better in 19 - this year mediocre)
Cordero (probably abused by managerial over use)
Crochet (Maybe injured - maybe a starter in the minors etc)
Colome (I don't expect the Sox to resign him - Heuer or Bummer can close.

Gone

Rodon
Lopez
Gonzales
Ruiz
Flores Jr.

Coming Soon:

Tyler Johnson (has had 2 sensational minor league seasons now in AA)

I think the Sox still need a couple guys for the reliever staff.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullpen Keepers:

Bummer
Heuer
Foster
Marshall
Burdi

Maybes:

Fry (showed better in 19 - this year mediocre)
Cordero (probably abused by managerial over use)
Crochet (Maybe injured - maybe a starter in the minors etc)
Colome (I don't expect the Sox to resign him - Heuer or Bummer can close.

Gone

Rodon
Lopez
Gonzales
Ruiz
Flores Jr.

Coming Soon:

Tyler Johnson (has had 2 sensational minor league seasons now in AA)

I think the Sox still need a couple guys for the reliever staff.
Good overall evaluation, especially on your bye-byes, altho on the retaining side of things I'm not sold on Burdi as a surefire keeper. Maybe all he needs is some extra work. I'd love to keep him, if for no other reason than he's a local boy who grew up a life-long Sox fan. One name you omitted who could factor into the equation is Jonathan Stiever. It's possible that he starts next year in the minors before being called up, but I'd like to see more of his work. I'm definitely intrigued by Johnson, I had no info on him at all, so thanks for the update. And finally, for the zillionth time, when the hell are the Sox going to let us know about Crochet's status?????

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the FA outfielders for the upcoming season:

No doubt the #1 player on this list is and should be Springer. But I've never seriously considered him because he's going to command some major coin, and we need to hold onto as much of it as possible to land a higher end starting pitcher. I'm still more sold on Pederson than anyone for a number of reasons. His price tag shouldn't be all that great, he's a lefty power bat who hits RH pitchers really well, altho granted in this wacky asterisk season, he didn't hit all that well. But his previous seasons shows some solid numbers. And because I'd love to see Adam Engel remain an integral part of the lineup, I think these two would make the perfect platoon in RF. To a lesser extent I'd go with another lefty, Bradley Jr as option 2. His stick really isn't much to write home about, and altho he's primarily a CF (and one of the best in the game at that), he can play any position in the OF and do it very well. Pillar is a decent, all-around player with the stick and glove, but for the previous reason of wanting to platoon Engel, I don't see a need for another RH bat. Ozuna and Brantley are the best hitters in the bunch, but the last thing the Sox need is to force fit another DH onto the field. The rest, thanks but no thanks.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a list of the FA outfielders for the upcoming season:

No doubt the #1 player on this list is and should be Springer. But I've never seriously considered him because he's going to command some major coin, and we need to hold onto as much of it as possible to land a higher end starting pitcher. I'm still more sold on Pederson than anyone for a number of reasons. His price tag shouldn't be all that great, he's a lefty power bat who hits RH pitchers really well, altho granted in this wacky asterisk season, he didn't hit all that well. But his previous seasons shows some solid numbers. And because I'd love to see Adam Engel remain an integral part of the lineup, I think these two would make the perfect platoon in RF. To a lesser extent I'd go with another lefty, Bradley Jr as option 2. His stick really isn't much to write home about, and altho he's primarily a CF (and one of the best in the game at that), he can play any position in the OF and do it very well. Pillar is a decent, all-around player with the stick and glove, but for the previous reason of wanting to platoon Engel, I don't see a need for another RH bat. Ozuna and Brantley are the best hitters in the bunch, but the last thing the Sox need is to force fit another DH onto the field. The rest, thanks but no thanks.
I saw an article recently - suggesting the return of Adam Eaton for RF duty. I'm not sure he fits.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article recently - suggesting the return of Adam Eaton for RF duty. I'm not sure he fits.
We'd first have to see if the Nats will take a flier with the option they hold on Eaton, which I believe is $11mil. If that came up after his '19 season, I'd say there'd be no doubt on them holding onto him. This year I'm not so sure. He's a good RF, some pop in the bat, and of course a former Sox. Not crazy about taking on another righty, altho I suppose I shouldn't be so demanding. Hey, think about it, what if we signed both Eaton and Quintana - wouldn't that be a hoot!!

BTW, speaking of team options, I had no idea that the Sox hold one on Leury Garcia for....get this....$3.5 mil. That's all. Can you say no brainer??? I thought he was a clear FA and therefore an auto-goner. This is way too versatile and valuable player for the team to let walk when all it takes is a paltry $3.5 mil. Book it that the Sox invoke the option.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the writeup on the 25 year old Johnson from the Sox Top 30 prospect list:

A closer at South Carolina and for the U.S. collegiate national team, Johnson missed six weeks with a sore arm during his Draft year in 2017 but still went in the fifth round. Though a lat strain cost him the first half of 2019, he still advanced to Double-A while continuing to post dominant numbers. In his first three pro seasons, he compiled a 2.27 ERA with 169 strikeouts in 115 innings while holding opponents to a .197 average.

Johnson depends heavily on his four-seam fastball, which operates at 92-96 mph and peaks at 98. While it's relatively straight, he's able to get it by hitters at the letters or create plane to work the bottom of the zone. He doesn't have a reliable second pitch, because his low-80s slider gets slurvy too often and his changeup lacks life.

Scouts don't care for Johnson's delivery, which features some stab and wrist wrap in the back. It does provide some funkiness and deception without hampering his control, but it costs him feel for his secondary offerings and doesn't bode well for his long-term health. If his fastball continues to dodge bats at upper levels, he could make his big league debut in 2020.

He's ranked 24th, which seems awfully low based on his performances to date. Maybe it's due to the fact that he hasn't throw a ton of innings, who knows. But when he's pitched, those numbers look mighty fine. Sure would like to see some actual game film and check out his delivery. Can't be any funkier than that of Nate Jones. Now THAT was one strange delivery.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FTR, the Sox have the 22nd pick in the 2021 draft. Obviously, all the top names will have been taken, but there's always a gem here or there who can slip down to our spot. I know the Sox will go with the ol' BPA, but as far as positions go, I'd like to see a focus on the catcher's spot.

Last edited:

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was good news on Crochet - not so good on Lambert.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was good news on Crochet - not so good on Lambert.
Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

(From Sports Mockery):

Garrett Crochet Injury Status
Garrett Crochet left Game 3 of the Wildcard Round with an apparent forearm strain. White Sox fans feared he would need Tommy John surgery but the injury report appears to be positive.

Rick Hahn announced that he has a muscle strain in his forearm but they expect him to continue to progress and feel fine for next season. Hahn also said that the long term plan for Crochet is to be a starting pitcher. However he figures to be back I the bullpen in 2021.

Crochet was excellent out of the White Sox bullpen this year. The first round pick from Tennessee, threw six innings in 2020 and is yet to give up a run. He also has a blazing fastball that averages over 100 mph. Crochet avoiding Tommy John surgery is a huge relief for the White Sox

Let's hope this is accurate. As for Lambert, I haven't heard anything......is he up for TJ surgery or something?

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things that make you go hmmmmm.....

(From Sports Mockery):

Garrett Crochet Injury Status
Garrett Crochet left Game 3 of the Wildcard Round with an apparent forearm strain. White Sox fans feared he would need Tommy John surgery but the injury report appears to be positive.

Rick Hahn announced that he has a muscle strain in his forearm but they expect him to continue to progress and feel fine for next season. Hahn also said that the long term plan for Crochet is to be a starting pitcher. However he figures to be back I the bullpen in 2021.

Crochet was excellent out of the White Sox bullpen this year. The first round pick from Tennessee, threw six innings in 2020 and is yet to give up a run. He also has a blazing fastball that averages over 100 mph. Crochet avoiding Tommy John surgery is a huge relief for the White Sox

Let's hope this is accurate. As for Lambert, I haven't heard anything......is he up for TJ surgery or something?
Lambert has the same forearm injury that Crochet has, but in his case - he will need a longer rest and recuperation period

White Sox's Jimmy Lambert: On track for spring