• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers Spring Training 2020

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1B is still Guzman
CF is still Santana
3B- they added Frazier... maybe 1.5 wins
Chirinos will add probably 2.5 wins
I factored all that in with my 85 win prediction.
I’m curious as to why they didn’t add 2 legit bats to the line up from those 3 spots.
1B, CF, 3B
It maybe because they aren’t quite ready
But hope to be in a year or 2
Probably 2
The new stadium will fill the first 2 years by default.
Hopefully whatever the plan is they’re willing to go all out come 2022

My question was: what makes you say they didn't try to "add 8 wins to the team?"

Sometimes I wonder if people think "no contracts were signed" means the same as "no contracts were offered."

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question was: what makes you say they didn't try to "add 8 wins to the team?"

Sometimes I wonder if people think "no contracts were signed" means the same as "no contracts were offered."

I don't see the issue in making Santana the CF that improves the CF spot drastically over what DDJ offered, Chirinos is a huge improvement over Mathis or probably even Trevino

Not getting a 3B fell flat when we didn't get Rendon, I don't think anyone wanted an older Donaldson bc he didn't fit the direction, his age was the determining factor there and Moustakas signed long before we even done pussy footing around Rendon

Once we botched negotiations with Rendon there wasn't a whole lot out there that fit what we were doing

Not getting Castellanos was a mistake, and was had for a reasonable offer in the realm of what many people thought he would get, that was also a mistake... not sure what happened there to be honest, was it an us or him issue

Reactions: DTC

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just stating he's not a long term solution at 3B as some are touting him to be
He could be excellent at 3B, and not be a longterm solution, because he leaves in free agency after next year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When they didn't sign Cliff Lee it was because he didn't want to play here as much as his wife wanted to be in Philly. How that worked out was clearly evident. Most of the time those things are clearly evident. The Rangers FA pursuits amd negotiations were fairly evident this offseason as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be optimistic for a few moments and assume Odor has a breakthrough and puts together a fine season. What happens because of that? Do you find another fulltime position for Solak and keep him? Do you trade Solak? Do you trade Odor now that his trade value is high again? What should happen and what do you think the Rangers will do?
Many have indicated that some of us are too pessimistic. In this post I tried to be very optimistic and yet there was very little response.

I guess some are just not interested in "what ifs." I do wonder if some didn't respond because they didn't want to be on record as opposing what the Rangers will do later on? It is much easier to offer opinions of agreement with management, in hindsight. Maybe that is a much more attractive tact than disagreeing ahead of time, and then having to offer up weak excuses for why they didn't actually do what you thought they should do.

Oh well, I just thought the topic would provide us with some very good discussion about the future of the team.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2022 Rangers

C Jung
1B Apostle or FA or Trade
2B Solak
3B Jung
SS Elvis
LF Santana
RF Gallo
CF Free Agent or Trade
DH Calhoun

SP FA/Trade
SP Crouse
SP Winn
SP Henriquez
SP Vanasco or Palumbo

That leaves lots of prospects that can be used for trades at some point in the future. There are about 8 quality starting pitching candidates who aren't included like Allard, Cody, Phillips, Burke amd others. Those guys could either surpass one of the SP that I listed, they could go to the bullpen, or they could be used to trade for other needs.

At some point either in 2022 or shortly thereafter, Lora and Acosta should be ready to take the places of Santana and Elvis.

If I am trading one of those pieces of the 2022 team, right now, it needs to be for players who are still under control from 2022 to 2025.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess I should say.

Why didn’t they get it done

Instead of why didn’t they “try”

Rendons contract isn’t even that bad
It takes him to 36 years old
Not 40 years old

If they truly wanted to get Rendon their offer should have matched or exceeded the Angels offer.. not be 1 year and 40 million short. That’s not trying.. that’s just trying to appease the fan base
“Hey we tried.. but at the end of the day he wanted to be an Angel”
Well yeah I bet he did want the bigger contract..
If they truly wanted Castellanos they could have had him
If they truly wanted Starling Marte they could have had him
If they truly wanted Josh Donaldson they could have got him as well
These owners are billionaires and with Choo, Fielder, Minor, Chavez and Mathis all coming off the books after this year they could have afforded them.. even if the last year is a bad year on the contract that’s unfortunately part of the game now.
I don’t blame JD. I blame the owners for not telling JD “Hey, look.. we want to get some stars for our lineup.. let’s make this year a great year.. new stadium.. new payroll budget $185 mil.
$185 mil is not to far fetched for our Market. DFW is huge and booming and only going to grow larger over the next 10 years.
With their payroll estimated at $147 mil
They should have had about $40 mil to play with
They could have got Marte $11 Mil
Rendon $26 mil the first year.. which is what the angels are paying him in 2020
Would have put them right at $185 mil
Then in November $45 mil would fall of the books..
I am happy with their rotation and what they did to address it. I am happy with Chirinos. Frazier isn’t Terrible..
But could you imagine a lineup of
1.Choo-dh
2.Marte-Cf
3.Rendon-3B
4.Gallo-RF
5.Santana-1B
6.Calhoun-LF
7.Odor/Solak-2B
8.Chirinos-C
9.Andrus-SS
Rendon and Marte are pretty good defensively too.. and moving Santana from CF adds defensive value..in a addition by subtraction sort of way..
Not only would the lineup be vastly better but so would the defense
It’s neither here nor there now though.
Just wish they would have got it done

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they truly wanted to get Rendon their offer should have matched or exceeded the Angels offer.

Well, yeah... but should they have done that? Personally, I say no, and I'm glad they didn't.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should say.

Not 40 years old

If they truly wanted to get Rendon their offer should have matched or exceeded the Angels offer.. not be 1 year and 40 million short. That’s not trying.. that’s just trying to appease the fan base
These owners are billionaires and with Choo, Fielder, Minor, Chavez and Mathis all coming off the books after this year they could have afforded them.. even if the last year is a bad year on the contract that’s unfortunately part of the game now.
I don’t blame JD. I blame the owners for not telling JD “Hey, look.. we want to get some stars for our lineup.. let’s make this year a great year.. new stadium.. new payroll budget $185 mil.
$185 mil is not to far fetched for our Market. DFW is huge and booming and only going to grow larger over the next 10 years.
With their payroll estimated at $147 mil
They should have had about $40 mil to play with
They could have got Marte $11 Mil
Rendon $26 mil the first year.. which is what the angels are paying him in 2020
Would have put them right at $185 mil
Then in November $45 mil would fall of the books..
I am happy with their rotation and what they did to address it. I am happy with Chirinos. Frazier isn’t Terrible..
But could you imagine a lineup of
1.Choo-dh
2.Marte-Cf
3.Rendon-3B
4.Gallo-RF
5.Santana-1B
6.Calhoun-LF
7.Odor/Solak-2B
8.Chirinos-C
9.Andrus-SS
Rendon and Marte are pretty good defensively too.. and moving Santana from CF adds defensive value..in a addition by subtraction sort of way..
Not only would the lineup be vastly better but so would the defense
It’s neither here nor there now though.
Just wish they would have got it done

Why I think we should be around $185 million in payroll to jump start the New Stadium.. then maybe fluctuate back down to $175 mil in 2021.. and then just go up incrementally with inflation

MLB 2020 Payroll Tracker

Power Ranking All 30 MLB Teams by Market Size

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah... but should they have done that? Personally, I say no, and I'm glad they didn't.

I understand your point of view because I can lean both ways in my thoughts
But I would be a lot happier knowing Rendon would be in our lineup.
And with his contract I think it’s very fair considering the market
The 10 year contracts that take players into their age 40 season are always a bad deal in my opinion..

But with the way the market works teams have to go outside their comfort zone a little to land super stars.
Rendon to age 36 is not bad in my opinion.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halos are noted for going after players to spite Rangers despite obvious need. As in this case pitching. Arte could care less about overpaying and has gotten nowhere with even the best player in baseball for this generation

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I should say.

Not 40 years old

Well Rendon is not matching the Angels or exceeding their offer, we were never given a chance to do so

The issue comes from the why we weren't offered a chance to... which is the Rangers tried to play games and then weren't taken seriously thereafter.... knowing he wanted 7 and offering 6 is just stupid

Agreed on Castellanos

Marte is no better than Santana in my opinion, so I'm good there and along with Donaldson is a win now move which I think the Rangers are a couple years away from those kind of short term maneuvers... Rendon was a much better long play and no other FA 3B really fit that bill

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halos are noted for going after players to spite Rangers despite obvious need. As in this case pitching. Arte could care less about overpaying and has gotten nowhere with even the best player in baseball for this generation

Exactly.