• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a lot of things and pitching is my first priority
The only thing I would avoid taking with the pick is a catcher. The best of the rest is what I would take. Personally, I hope the pick is a great bat, but if a better pitcher is there I am fine with that.

If we go from here to the year we finally compete to go to the WS and have to trade for an ace that year, I am fine with that. In the mean time, we may find that we already have one.

I have confidence that we can fill out the #2 through #5 spots in the rotation in what we already have in house. Like I said, we may even have an ace amongst those guys as well.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing I would avoid taking with the pick is a catcher. The best of the rest is what I would take. Personally, I hope the pick is a great bat, but if a better pitcher is there I am fine with that.

If we go from here to the year we finally compete to go to the WS and have to trade for an ace that year, I am fine with that. In the mean time, we may find that we already have one.

I have confidence that we can fill out the #2 through #5 spots in the rotation in what we already have in house. Like I said, we may even have an ace amongst those guys as well.

How do you determine who the "best player available" is though?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Joe.
FA bats are easier to acquire than ace pitchers. Both are needed but without pitching you won't go far.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don’t mind if best player is that catcher out of Florida. Still was early. We just need to hit big this time

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Joe.
FA bats are easier to acquire than ace pitchers. Both are needed but without pitching you won't go far.

yeah. it just seems the draft analysis is such a subjective system, at a certain point what the team needs has to be a factor.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess each team's anwer to that is what separates the men from the boys. Let's just hope we have the evaluators in place that can make that determination.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Joe.
Cliff Lee was a lot easier to acquire than Anthony Rendon.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Draft pick. All things equal, I like the position player with first pick. Just seems we have been snakebit with all the TJS to our guys

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re Draft pick. All things equal, I like the position player with first pick. Just seems we have been snakebit with all the TJS to our guys
Yes, I have thought of the TJS factor as well.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff Lee was a lot easier to acquire than Anthony Rendon.
Obvious the owners wanted Lee. Obvious not so in Rendon;s case.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rangers signed 17-year-old outfielder Alejandro Osuna out of Mexico, per Baseball America’s Ben Badler (via Twitter). As Badler notes, Osuna is the brother of Astros’ reliever Roberto Osuna.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvious the owners wanted Lee. Obvious not so in Rendon;s case.
So, the guys we acquire, ownership wanted, and the ones we didn't acquire, ownership didn't want?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah. it just seems the draft analysis is such a subjective system, at a certain point what the team needs has to be a factor.
I think so too. I just think organizationally we have a lot of needs so you could draft the best available and hit a need in most cases. Catcher appears to be an exception and some could make the case that with Jung we don't need a 3B. To me, our biggest need organizationally is COF power bats.

One thing to keep in mind is that our second pick will be one where we should be able to get a high quality guy as well. Also, we are probably going to draft very high in 2022. Whichever positions go without being strengthened by a high pick in 2021 can be taken in 2022 if it is deemed necessary at the time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the best argument for taking the best player available in the draft instead of targeting SP is what happened in the draft in 2015. If we had had the second pick that year and been determined to take the best pitcher instead of the best player, we would have chosen Dillon Tate with the second pick over Alex Bregman. That would have been a horrendous decision.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, the guys we acquire, ownership wanted, and the ones we didn't acquire, ownership didn't want?
The owners did not want him enough to pay his price.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW. Lee almost did not make it to the Rangers and if Halos did not swoop in we would have gotten Rendon.
No data to back it up but it seems like pitchers are moved more during the break than elite position players. I get that pitching wins championship. Yankees paid the price tonight for that. Just think drafting pitching is much more risky and some luck is involved too.

We need to get this #2 pick right and the Bregman example was right on target. BTW W Buehler was available and Kyle Tucker a pick below us. We need elite players at a lot of positions. Any pick we get at # 2 I Hope is more skilled than Solak, Willie or IKF. Add on pieces

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I
I think the best argument for taking the best player available in the draft instead of targeting SP is what happened in the draft in 2015. If we had had the second pick that year and been determined to take the best pitcher instead of the best player, we would have chosen Dillon Tate with the second pick over Alex Bregman. That would have been a horrendous decision.
I remember that draft vividly just hoping we would get one of the 3 elite shortstops but we picked 4th. What a waste

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think so too. I just think organizationally we have a lot of needs so you could draft the best available and hit a need in most cases. Catcher appears to be an exception and some could make the case that with Jung we don't need a 3B. To me, our biggest need organizationally is COF power bats.

One thing to keep in mind is that our second pick will be one where we should be able to get a high quality guy as well. Also, we are probably going to draft very high in 2022. Whichever positions go without being strengthened by a high pick in 2021 can be taken in 2022 if it is deemed necessary at the time.
Even more in this upcoming draft the picks will be guesses that will probably off quite a bit.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thought as well when I just read that.
I would hope they have some criteria In place to determine that. If they don't then they will not be able to know who the best pitcher is either.