• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The owners did not want him enough to pay his price.
His high price makes him and other great hitters very hard to acquire. That was the point I was trying to make.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW. Lee almost did not make it to the Rangers and if Halos did not swoop in we would have gotten Rendon.
No data to back it up but it seems like pitchers are moved more during the break than elite position players. I get that pitching wins championship. Yankees paid the price tonight for that. Just think drafting pitching is much more risky and some luck is involved too.

We need to get this #2 pick right and the Bregman example was right on target. BTW W Buehler was available and Kyle Tucker a pick below us. We need elite players at a lot of positions. Any pick we get at # 2 I Hope is more skilled than Solak, Willie or IKF. Add on pieces
If our front office had wanted Rendon enough to pay we would have gotten him but they did not. Yes the Halos did get him. But they are also paying for Pujhols and Trout and they have yet to do much without ace pitching.

I guess you can make the argument who came first the chicken or the egg. Like you said, Yankees paid the price. They are another case where big bats could not get them over the hump. I know all teams need both pitching and power bats. It is a matter of how the front office wants to spend their money.

There is never a guarantee when we sign a player. True TJS has been a risk but look at players like Gallo Odor and Guzman who was thought to be the bats we needed. Gallo and Odor had their days but has not followed through with what we all hoped for and Guzman has not even seen a good year. There is still hope for them all so not all is lost. We have high hopes for Huff and Trevino so while they are developing with Gallo and Guzman, a little pitching won't hurt a thing. We have time to sign power bats during our development stretch and pitching which all depends on the Owners.

Perhaps what we need more is a power FO.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this team doesn't start developing players better then it won't matter much who we draft. We need to make lots of strides in lots of areas, such as, drafting, developing, evaluating, trading, acquiring free agents, and spending.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps what we need more is a power FO.
Ha nice closing statement. We shall see.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obvious the owners wanted Lee. Obvious not so in Rendon;s case.

There are a few differences here. Lee was a mid-season trade and viewed (correctly) as the final piece needed to make the Rangers a legitimate contender that season. Rendon was an off-season free agent and would have improved the offense, but the Rangers would still need a lot of work to be legitimate contenders. And Rendon's contract would have hampered the team's ability to do that work.

(not contradicting or correcting DT or anyone else with that)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few differences here. Lee was a mid-season trade and viewed (correctly) as the final piece needed to make the Rangers a legitimate contender that season. Rendon was an off-season free agent and would have improved the offense, but the Rangers would still need a lot of work to be legitimate contenders. And Rendon's contract would have hampered the team's ability to do that work.

(not contradicting or correcting DT or anyone else with that)
Yeah, the point I was trying to make was that picking up a difference maker in the rotation seems to be something that we have accomplished with not a whole lot of trouble. Some felt Hamels met that definition as well.

There are a lot of ways to look at what needs to be done. Like you, I am not trying to contradict or correct, but merely pointing out why some of us feel differently. Who knows, once this thing plays out, we may all be in agreement with who should be taken. It may be very obvious.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His high price makes him and other great hitters very hard to acquire. That was the point I was trying to make.
If you know the criteria to obtain a high quality FA and you consistently low-ball your offer below the criteria then you are not a serious contender. It was apparent to Boras and Rendon that the Rangers were never in it

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you know the criteria to obtain a high quality FA and you consistently low-ball your offer below the criteria then you are not a serious contender. It was apparent to Boras and Rendon that the Rangers were never in it
Totally agree. I think it would have hurt getting so many other things we need. Look at what has happened to the Angels concerning big crazy spending. Pujhols, Trout and now Rendon. They are strapped so bad they no ace pitcher. I hope we never get in that condition. Plus, with all the big time names they don't win much either.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree. I think it would have hurt getting so many other things we need. Look at what has happened to the Angels concerning big crazy spending. Pujhols, Trout and now Rendon. They are strapped so bad they no ace pitcher. I hope we never get in that condition. Plus, with all the big time names they don't win much either.

They tried to get an elite pitcher with Ohtani, and he's already had issues. I don't think things will ever go right for them.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They tried to get an elite pitcher with Ohtani, and he's already had issues. I don't think things will ever go right for them.
You can not throw money around and win. They try every year as do yankees dodgers. Good pitching and hitting win. You do not have to break the bank to do it. Obvious power bats and ace pitchers are necessary but they can be obtained without bankrupting the organization. Look at some of the players we have had without breaking the bank. I for one am happy we did not pay that kind of money for Rendon.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart General Managers and owners will win more championships then all the money they have. i think of all the great players we had that were acquired by smart trades.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we get or are we going to get the many other things we need? And the difference between their owner and our’s is that he’s willing to go that extra mile money-wise while our’s brings in the Gibson and the Lyle and those Other low level FA’s. Now we’re finally see them reducing payroll and going with the youth(2 or more years and how many wasted millions later)

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart General Managers and owners will win more championships then all the money they have. i think of all the great players we had that were acquired by smart trades.
The Hamilton and Teixeira trades were great. It may be another 20 years or more before another Josh Hamilton situation ever presents itself though. I think the chance of us having a player like Teixeira to trade is slim and none for the next few years.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we get or are we going to get the many other things we need? And the difference between their owner and our’s is that he’s willing to go that extra mile money-wise while our’s brings in the Gibson and the Lyle and those Other low level FA’s. Now we’re finally see them reducing payroll and going with the youth(2 or more years and how many wasted millions later)
Think back to 2010/2011. We had great teams with smart management and did not spend crazy money. The question is do our owners want to win a championship again. We do not know what happened to the GM we had. He has not shown the ability to once again put a winning team back on the field but it is not fair to put all on JD if he is restricted by owners. By the way, bringing in Lynn was another example of acquiring a top notch pitcher at a reasonable cost. I don't know Scotty, guess we will wait and see. Hang in buddy.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will hate to see the Astros win the WS in our New Globe Stadium. Hope that doesn't happen

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think back to 2010/2011. We had great teams with smart management and did not spend crazy money. The question is do our owners want to win a championship again. We do not know what happened to the GM we had. He has not shown the ability to once again put a winning team back on the field but it is not fair to put all on JD if he is restricted by owners. By the way, bringing in Lynn was another example of acquiring a top notch pitcher at a reasonable cost. I don't know Scotty, guess we will wait and see. Hang in buddy.
At the time we signed Lynn he was not considered much above a 3rd tier FA and we got surprised by what we got.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will hate to see the Astros win the WS in our New Globe Stadium. Hope that doesn't happen

I still think it’s unlikely. Hopefully the AL team squashes them and they don’t get close tho.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time we signed Lynn he was not considered much above a 3rd tier FA and we got surprised by what we got.
Which is why we should have traded him at his peak value. He may regress to what we thought we were getting at some point like Minor did.