• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of questions about this team's offseason and their future.

What do you want to see happen this offseason?

What do you expect to see happen this offseason?

Will Odor be released, traded, be a backup after learning another position or two, or will he start once again?

Will the Rangers pursue any meaningful free agents or just bench guys and back of the bullpen guys?

Will Elvis be back next year, and if so, will he be the Opening Day starter?

Will Gallo rebound?

Will Calhoun recover from a lost season.

Will Santana regain his 2019 form after his own lost season?

Will Lynn be traded?

Will both Gibson and Lyles be back?

How many rotation spots will there be for our young starters? (Cody, Allard, Hearn, Palumbo, Benjamin, King, Bahr, Winn, Crouse, Phillips, Alexy, Henriquez, Rodriguez, Hernandez)
note: Twelve of the young starters on this list have either already pitched in the big leagues or are ranked above Kyle Cody on MLB Pipeline, with Bahr being the exception.

Which young position players will be starters next year? (Tejeda, Huff, Taveras, Guzman, Trevino, Solak, Calhoun, IKF, Jung, White)

Will JD and ownership come out and assure us that they will start spending again after the 2021 season, as long as people are allowed to fill the ballparks in 2021?

I am sure you guys can think of lots of other questions. Let's get the offseason discussion going.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to see :

rangers sold to a real owner who wants to win. New owner cleans out the front office including the GM. Odor bought out. Elvis told to up his level of play this year or the same would happen to him. Don’t bring choo and Mathis back no matter what. Off-season trade of Lynn for several good prospects?

what I expect to see :

Ownership group stubbornly hangs on. No front office changes. Odor given a pat on the back and told ownership still believes in him. Odor starting 2nd baseman. Mathis retained. Choo brought back on a cheap deal so he could stay in southlake with his boys. Rangers make excuses for not trading Lynn and not signing anyone with real baseball talent.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see the Rangers doing absolutely nothing on the FA market and playing the kids. they pass on Kluber's team option . they should allow Choo and Mathis to walk. hopefully they find some team that will take Odor while eating 14 to 16M of his contract. they keep Lynn until at least the TD

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i see the Rangers doing absolutely nothing on the FA market and playing the kids. they pass on Kluber's team option . they should allow Choo and Mathis to walk. hopefully they find some team that will take Odor while eating 14 to 16M of his contract. they keep Lynn until at least the TD
of course the pessimist in me says that the the Rangers will do the exact opposite and re-sign Choo and Mathis bumping young players off the roster and for some reason picking up Kluber's option. and of course they'll sign upto 2 level 4 FA's bumping more young guys off the roster

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I hope to see is a direct release of Oder. He will continue hurting this team until he is gone. JD's departure would be nice also.
Solak we all agree should be our 2b guy, Tejeda at SS and Ikf 3B and Guzman at 1ST providing he continues at hitting.
Unlike most, I hope we can trade Gallo for obvious reasons.
Elvis will not be traded in my opinion. He is a Ranger milestone and will be allowed to retire in the same fashion as Beltre. He should not start but be used in several different ways.....back up SS, PH. base runner, etc.
Calhoun and Santana should be looked at and given a chance to recover and traded or sent down if no improvement. Time to get serious about who can help the team and who can not.
Because we have what I believe is a very good core of young players, we should keep Lynn under a reasonable contract and build around him not to include Kluber,Gibson and Lyles.
Trevino and Huff is a great problem to have. Either one can start because of their bat, but we may need another catcher in order to keep both their bats in the line up. One might play 1st if Guzman fails or DH if Calhoun flops. Mathis should not be the 3rd catcher if we go that way.
FA's held to a minimum.
Don't look for any FO changes.
One other thought. We have some good young pitching prospects as Bennie listed. Serious consideration should be given to them this next year as part of the rebuild.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I want to see :

rangers sold to a real owner who wants to win. New owner cleans out the front office including the GM. Odor bought out. Elvis told to up his level of play this year or the same would happen to him. Don’t bring choo and Mathis back no matter what. Off-season trade of Lynn for several good prospects?

what I expect to see :

Ownership group stubbornly hangs on. No front office changes. Odor given a pat on the back and told ownership still believes in him. Odor starting 2nd baseman. Mathis retained. Choo brought back on a cheap deal so he could stay in southlake with his boys. Rangers make excuses for not trading Lynn and not signing anyone with real baseball talent.
This shortened season gives all the crappy players a free pass, same with the crappy FO. Owners also have a built in "we lost money so we aren't going to spend" even though they have never shown the willingness to spend. Just choking more out of a golden goose.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we be overlooking something in Huff and Trevino...as in one of them could be traded this offseason? Good young catchers are always wanted in this league and I think both would be able to get a return for us. I know it is better to have two very good catchers and then a third spare to cover putting one of them at DH, but I think JD might try to pull something off at the winter meetings to try to get his name back out there as a wheeler-dealer.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shortened season gives all the crappy players a free pass, same with the crappy FO. Owners also have a built in "we lost money so we aren't going to spend" even though they have never shown the willingness to spend. Just choking more out of a golden goose.

A good side effect of the pandemic is that we only had to watch this crap team for 60 games.

1 less year to go of bad contracts like choo, odor, fielder, a rod, and the like.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good side effect of the pandemic is that we only had to watch this crap team for 60 games.

1 less year to go of bad contracts like choo, odor, fielder, a rod, and the like.
Those are names that should hang on the wall in JD's office as a reminder.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all of those deals went pretty bad for the rangers.
The ARod deal was only bad because Tom Hicks lied and/or went bankrupt. Then to make matters worse, we made a terrible deal with the Yankees when we traded him. ARod was a great player while he was here. I will never lump that deal in with the others.

I would be happy to sign the equivalent of ARod's talent to the equivalent of the contract we gave him, any time.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ARod deal was only bad because Tom Hicks lied and/or went bankrupt. Then to make matters worse, we made a terrible deal with the Yankees when we traded him. ARod was a great player while he was here. I will never lump that deal in with the others.

I would be happy to sign the equivalent of ARod's talent to the equivalent of the contract we gave him, any time.

we fucked up the A rod trade by not getting either manny Ramirez / Jon Lester or Robinson Canó.

all we really got was alfonso Soriano and the Yankees didn’t take on enough money either. We still had to pay him for a long ass time.

the trade was a massive disaster.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elvis will start opening day out of respect for his long career but Tejada will become the regular starter

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could we be overlooking something in Huff and Trevino...as in one of them could be traded this offseason? Good young catchers are always wanted in this league and I think both would be able to get a return for us. I know it is better to have two very good catchers and then a third spare to cover putting one of them at DH, but I think JD might try to pull something off at the winter meetings to try to get his name back out there as a wheeler-dealer.
Not a bad thought but if Huff is the guy for the future and he looks like a hoss then I actually don't think having Trevino as the backup would be so bad because then he is not our catcher of the future with Huff's emergence. Plus I am not sure if what we get in return would be of value as having him on the roster. It is a position that can lead to injury.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Elvis will start opening day out of respect for his long career but Tejada will become the regular starter
It would be really good if we could trade him and let Tejada start everyday.