• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Surging Rangers hosting the Chicago White Sox

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want another Smoak mishap. And before you say "you cant compare the two". Smoak had a better approach and more maturity as a hitter.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember which article it was I read this in, but it was mentioned that right now the atmosphere in the clubhouse is fantastic.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember which article it was I read this in, but it was mentioned that right now the atmosphere in the clubhouse is fantastic.

Whatever adjustments Fielder has made in his approach he needs to be talking to Gallo, him and Beltre, who never strikes out very much and is good at spoiling good pitches

I think he could learn TONS from those two, and keep Magadan away....... jk.... kinda

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just dont want another Smoak mishap. And before you say "you cant compare the two". Smoak had a better approach and more maturity as a hitter.
I never cared for Smoak or his approach. To me a 1B with a high OBP, but not many HRs does not equate to a good prospect. His approach would have been fine for a great fielding SS who can steal bases, but it is not what I want from a corner position player. I never expected much of anything from him while he was coming up. Smoak didn't struggle as a MLB hitter because of when he was brought up. He struggled because he just wasn't a very good corner position player offensively. His ability to get walks from minor league pitchers didn't translate to the big leagues as well. His lack of power did show up in the big leagues though.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never cared for Smoak or his approach. To me a 1B with a high OBP, but not many HRs does not equate to a good prospect. His approach would have been fine for a great fielding SS who can steal bases, but it is not what I want from a corner position player. I never expected much of anything from him while he was coming up. Smoak didn't struggle as a MLB hitter because of when he was brought up. He struggled because he just wasn't a very good corner position player offensively. His ability to get walks from minor league pitchers didn't translate to the big leagues as well. His lack of power did show up in the big leagues though.

He has solid power though, it was his inability to HIT ML pitching in any fashion was his downfall, as evidenced by his .225 career average, but he has projected out to 21 HRs over a 162 game season, not great but certainly tolerable if he was able to hit and draw walks, which he wasn't able to do

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They assume it will help his development, no one knows if it will or not, this not a matter of fact statement, we won't know the effect until after the fact

All of this is assumptions, keep in mind I'm not saying it won't, but to make definitive statements one way or the other is absurd, all you can do is hope that its a positive experience and not a negative one (long term)

Had your/JD's original statement been, "I absolutely think this will help his development" then there would've been nothing wrong with what you said or what JD said

I kind of understand where you were coming from here. If this was a definitive statement then everyone we have ever brought up here would have seen it as a help in their development. But there are many where their time here just kicked them in the butt and they never really recovered from it. Some of that because they were called up to soon and it ate their lunch and mentally they never recovered. Now I don't think this will happen to Gallo but that is just a guess.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry that Smolinski could be an "AAAA player."

Not sure if you noticed it or not but there seems to be a lot of good offensive numbers at RR. Makes me wonder about the quality of the pitching in the PCL.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has solid power though, it was his inability to HIT ML pitching in any fashion was his downfall, as evidenced by his .225 career average, but he has projected out to 21 HRs over a 162 game season, not great but certainly tolerable if he was able to hit and draw walks, which he wasn't able to do
I want more HRs from my 1B than that though. 25 minimum. Preferably closer to 30 or more.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want more HRs from my 1B than that though. 25 minimum. Preferably closer to 30 or more.

I'm not nearly as bogged down with the power numbers from traditional power positions as I once was. And that's bc you see the non-traditional power positions, like 2nd baseman and short, hit with a lot of power in today's game.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe so, but if you had a 1B that hit .300+ (which he was supposed to), draw 60-80 walks, and hit 20-25 HRs, and plays solid D, then you have the makings of a really solid 1B, Smoak does those things minus just the average and its unacceptable, if Smoak hit .225 yet somehow hit 40 HRs, a la Adam Dunn then we're having a different discussion here

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with that in the post PEDs era. 30 homer seasons are going to be more rare for a while until guys get bigger and stronger naturally. Baseball goes in cycles.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll post this here too -- b/c why not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with that in the post PEDs era. 30 homer seasons are going to be more rare for a while until guys get bigger and stronger naturally. Baseball goes in cycles.
I believe there were a dozen 1B that hit 25 or more last year.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe there were a dozen 1B that hit 25 or more last year.
How many of those players made 120+ starts at 1B?

Looks like 5-6 at the most. And of those 5-6 only Duda and Abreu hit 30 homers playing exclusively as a 1B.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this... Rangers social media is hyping up Gallo's arrival something fierce. I have faith in the BannyRooster to get this kid's mind in a good place like he did with Chi Chi.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many of those players made 120+ starts at 1B?

Looks like 5-6 at the most. And of those 5-6 only Duda and Abreu hit 30 homers playing exclusively as a 1B.
Okay, let me clarify then. JTA had said Smoak projected out to hit 21 in a 162 game season. I said I wanted 25 minimum and preferably 30. You just changed the conversation to what they hit while playing 1B. If we keep this to the original discussion we were talking about what your !B hits on a 162 game average. Just because a lot of 1B are playing at other positions or hitting at DH doesn't change the fact that they are capable of hitting 25 or more in a 162 game span.

I believe there were 13 teams that got 25 or more HRs from their collective first basemen last year. I want to get 25-30 at least from my primary first baseman and if others play that position in his place at times it would be good to get that many from that position collectively. If Prince and Mitch split 1B and combined they hit 25-30 then that is fine with me even if neither of them hit 25 while playing 1B.

Smoak being able to hit 21 HRs in a full 162 game season is not good enough for me and doesn't impress me at all.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll say this... Rangers social media is hyping up Gallo's arrival something fierce. I have faith in the BannyRooster to get this kid's mind in a good place like he did with Chi Chi.
This might be the biggest prospect debut in club history. The coverage of minor league players is unprecedented levels right now. I have to think most Rangers fans know the name Joey Gallo even more so than they did Profar. He's already got a huge fanbase and hasn't taken a single AB in the majors. It's exciting even if they are doing it a little early.