• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Surging Rangers hosting the Chicago White Sox

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an interesting proposition. Would certainly solve the problem of adding another lefty to the middle of the order, and with DDJ looking very much like a threat at the top of the order, the last thing they'll want to do is walk the #9 hitter.

Not only that, but in my opinion, if we're worried about rushing this kid, sticking him in the heart of the lineup is the absolute worst thing to do. The #5 spot is part of the meat of the order - you're expected to produce. Added pressure for Gallo, that he certainly doesn't need.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Problem is, Chicago's starters are both left handed on game two and three. One is sale, the other is a highly touted prospect.

I'd potentially start him against a rookie, but not Sale

Especially one with a 1.71 WHIP and 19 walks in 28 career innings thus far

Last edited:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd potentially start him against a rookie, but not Sale

Especially one with a 1.71 WHIP and 19 walks in 28 career innings thus far

Agreed. Wonder if Gallo has ever faced him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Wonder if Gallo has ever faced him.

Nope, Rodon has 34.1 career minor league innings and none and never faced Gallo, not to mention he pitched in High A (9.2 innings) last year and AAA this year (10 innings)

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think they were planning on bringing him up in September to give him a taste of the big league. this injury just moved up the time table a little. hopefully it will be a good learning experience and he will be able to build on it.
I heard Thad Levine say in an radio interview in ST that he could see Gallo come up sometime this season and it was clear he wasn't talking about as a September call up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It will definitely help his development.

He’s got a defined time that he’s going to be up here. He has a chance to make a contribution and help us. Even if he really struggles, which is possible, he’ll be better long-term for the learning experience. He will have a better idea of knowing some of the things he will have to work on.

“This will help his development,” Daniels added.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will definitely help his development.

He’s got a defined time that he’s going to be up here. He has a chance to make a contribution and help us. Even if he really struggles, which is possible, he’ll be better long-term for the learning experience. He will have a better idea of knowing some of the things he will have to work on.

“This will help his development,” Daniels added.

They assume it will help his development, no one knows if it will or not, this not a matter of fact statement, we won't know the effect until after the fact

All of this is assumptions, keep in mind I'm not saying it won't, but to make definitive statements one way or the other is absurd, all you can do is hope that its a positive experience and not a negative one (long term)

Had your/JD's original statement been, "I absolutely think this will help his development" then there would've been nothing wrong with what you said or what JD said

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They assume it will help his development, no one knows if it will or not, this not a matter of fact statement, we won't know the effect until after the fact

All of this is assumptions, keep in mind I'm not saying it won't, but to make definitive statements one way or the other is absurd, all you can do is hope that its a positive experience and not a negative one (long term)

Had your/JD's original statement been, "I absolutely think this will help his development" then there would've been nothing wrong with what you said or what JD said
People make "definitive" statements on here all the time. You only see a need to mention it as being wrong to do so when you disagree with it. Hundreds of definitive statements have been made on here in the past several months and you usually don't see any need to call someone out for making a definitive statement.

I went through this whole topic on here before. We all state our opinions. Almost everything I write on here could have the words "my opinion is' added to it. Like I said, I made a big deal in clarifying that one time before on here a few months ago. I am not going to waste my time and the time of anyone who chooses to read what I write to add the words that are implied in just about every post on here.

It is only absurd to you because you disagree or else you would mention it was absurd every time someone does the same thing about any number of topics on here. By the way, it is only your assumption that it is absurd for me to do so. You shouldn't be so definitive about it being absurd.

To clarify, based on watching Ranger prospects come up for 44 seasons it is my opinion that this has a 99.9% chance of helping his development.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On what made them decide it was safe to bring Gallo up at this stage:

He’s gotten more selective at the plate. If a guy’s not going to pitch to him, he’ll take it. I don’t think he goes up there looking to walk, but he’ll take a walk, which I think is a sign of maturity. Some guys I think go up there looking for it and are passive at the plate. He’s not, but he’ll take it if it’s given to him. I think defensively he’s done a good job. I’ve only seen him one game this year, but the reports from our guys are really good. I think the focus, which for a lot of young players is a challenge, but the focus day-to-day, at-bat-to-at-bat, the whole deal has taken strides. I do think when you put a guy into the big-league environment, into a good situation, in a good clubhouse culture, so to speak, you’re going to see that focus rise even higher.

Rangers GM Jon Daniels sees 'sign of maturity' in Joey Gallo that helped lead to call-up | Dallas Morning News

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to publicly thank C J Wilson for leaving in free agency so we could get a compensation pick for him since that pick turned out to be Gallo. At the risk of sounding too definitive I really think that has worked out well for us. So the Angels in one way or another have provided us with both Josh and Joey. Thanks Angles.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% with JD here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRIPLE-A ROUND ROCK (31-19) had 13 hits in a 14-3 win at Tacoma (Seattle.) OF Jake Smolinski had two homers and drove in six runs. Smolinski is hitting .422 with an .800 slugging percentage for 45 at-bats in the Pacific Coast League.

Texas Rangers minor-league report | | Dallas Morning News

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRIPLE-A ROUND ROCK (31-19) had 13 hits in a 14-3 win at Tacoma (Seattle.) OF Jake Smolinski had two homers and drove in six runs. Smolinski is hitting .422 with an .800 slugging percentage for 45 at-bats in the Pacific Coast League.

I worry that Smolinski could be an "AAAA player."

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that kind of understood?

I'm done with the topic honestly, what's done is done... I'm glad to be able to see him play and I hope he succeeds even if in a marginal way in the next 3 weeks

He'll more than likely be down in AAA in 3 weeks and can figure out what he needs to work on based on his ML experience, which more than likely will be quite a bit, and hopefully he takes it as a challenge to get better in those areas

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even though I was initially pretty adamant about keeping Gallo in AA for now, with a move to AAA in the offing pretty soon, upon listening/reading and jousting with you guys, I'm "reconsidering." hahaha

According to all I've heard, Gallo is aware it's a learning visit and nothing more for a few weeks. No great pressure/expectations here. Just a look at, "this is how the big boys do it." If he comes up and struggles, then he'll know better what to work on once he goes back down, is the way many are looking at it, and frankly I find little fault with this logic. I honestly expect him to struggle some, which is fine really.

The one thing I really DO LIKE about him being called up is he's going to have opportunities at his natural position. It would bother me more if he were coming up to fill in for a corner OF spot.