• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soo.. Whats going on with NBA ratings?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sports is still one of the only mediums on tv people watch live. End of day that will drive advertising dollars their way. Couple that with international growth and they'll be fine. Hopefully those that feel the need to keep telling us how much they aren't watching the NBA can move on with their lives rather than feeling the need to constantly remind us.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't watched an NBA game since the start up. NBA ratings are down 45%in the last 5 years. It's going to continue to drop until a truly beautiful thing happens....the owners are gonna lock these spoiled brats out when they won't agree to a larger pay cut. Then you won't be watching either, you'll just be posting on the hoop ''but, but, what happened?''

It's actually not 5 years. It's since the 2011-2012 season. And you need to think about that date a bit. Its before all the stuff you think is causing the drop ever happened so that clearly shows its not the driving factor. I'm a nerd. I look at TV ratings and shit like that from time to time. It's down 45% because ALL of tv is trending down. Sports, news, game shows, comedies, dramas, everything on TV has seen a general ratings decline over the last 8 to 10 years. Some shows/events/whatever will be up year over year or date to date, but the trend line is down. Why? A couple of reasons. One, fractured audiences. There's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more stuff to watch and there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more ways to watch it. You can have cable, you can have streaming services, you can watch on your TV, your phone, your lap top. And this latter part lends to reason #2, the way ratings have been measured is still the traditional method (a person watching on their TV). They're undercounting people that have cord cut and/or watching on other devices. They've only recently (within the last year or two) made efforts to incorporate ways of measuring how people watch. Like last month they announced a new method of counting live sport viewership that will incorporate ratings for bars or large gatherings (which should result in a noticeable bump in all sports ratings). A couple of years ago they started adding next day, +3 and +7 day ratings to account for people that watch shows on DVR and not live.

Basically, ratings decline is a technical issue and it has to do with the changing landscape of how people consume media and the way ratings are measured has been very slow in catching up. It has nothing to do with politics or social issues. Whatever Joe Schmo says "I'm done watching X because of Y protest" is statistically insignificant. Collectively, they are drop in an ocean of evidence that points towards what I described above.

Also, one quick test to see how sports don't really have less people watching. Any time there's a big sporting event, go on social media. Check the trends. They'll be DOMINATED by said sporting event. So if that event ends up with a rating that's 5% off last year, but still has heavy engagement on social media (meaning thousands and thousands are talking about it enough to take up all the trends), what does that tell you? It tells you a shit ton of people are watching. It's just not being measured accurately to reflect it

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's actually not 5 years. It's since the 2011-2012 season. And you need to think about that date a bit. Its before all the stuff you think is causing the drop ever happened so that clearly shows its not the driving factor. I'm a nerd. I look at TV ratings and shit like that from time to time. It's down 45% because ALL of tv is trending down. Sports, news, game shows, comedies, dramas, everything on TV has seen a general ratings decline over the last 8 to 10 years. Some shows/events/whatever will be up year over year or date to date, but the trend line is down. Why? A couple of reasons. One, fractured audiences. There's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more stuff to watch and there's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more ways to watch it. You can have cable, you can have streaming services, you can watch on your TV, your phone, your lap top. And this latter part lends to reason #2, the way ratings have been measured is still the traditional method (a person watching on their TV). They're undercounting people that have cord cut and/or watching on other devices. They've only recently (within the last year or two) made efforts to incorporate ways of measuring how people watch. Like last month they announced a new method of counting live sport viewership that will incorporate ratings for bars or large gatherings (which should result in a noticeable bump in all sports ratings). A couple of years ago they started adding next day, +3 and +7 day ratings to account for people that watch shows on DVR and not live.

Basically, ratings decline is a technical issue and it has to do with the changing landscape of how people consume media and the way ratings are measured has been very slow in catching up. It has nothing to do with politics or social issues. Whatever Joe Schmo says "I'm done watching X because of Y protest" is statistically insignificant. Collectively, they are drop in an ocean of evidence that points towards what I described above.

Also, one quick test to see how sports don't really have less people watching. Any time there's a big sporting event, go on social media. Check the trends. They'll be DOMINATED by said sporting event. So if that event ends up with a rating that's 5% off last year, but still has heavy engagement on social media (meaning thousands and thousands are talking about it enough to take up all the trends), what does that tell you? It tells you a shit ton of people are watching. It's just not being measured accurately to reflect it

Yep. Streaming and all other forms of media are definitely undercounted

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA also has a younger demographic than the NFL and MLB, so they are more likely to be watching on other platforms than NFL or MLB fans. Those platforms aren't as easily counted as the traditional watching something on tv.

My son is 23, he has a nice size tv in his room with satellite that he mainly uses for video games, most of the time he watches stuff on his laptop or phone. He uses his tv mainly for video games.

Heck, sometimes he'll be in the living room with me watching something on tv while also watching something else on his phone. lol

Geems

America First
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump is right, ratings are down.

People are getting fed up with not being able to simply watch sports without having all the politics spewed all over it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once the Mavs were out, I said peace out to the NBA. If I want to see all that bullshit they cram into NBA games now, I'll watch CNN.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trump is right, ratings are down.

People are getting fed up with not being able to simply watch sports without having all the politics spewed all over it.

Plus why is the NBA still playing in a bubble lol

None of the other sports are playing in a bubble...Open the stadiums and let some fans in

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

None of the other sports are playing in a bubble...Open the stadiums and let some fans in

Yeah, you are a fool.

Huge difference between an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football has indoor too dipshit
And how many of those stadiums had fans?

Indy and Dallas have retractable roofs. The others with fans are all outdoors.

So who is the dipshit?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because it's not logistically possible with football and baseball. There are far too many people that have to be there.

Also, baseball is going to be getting as close to a "bubble" as they can for the playoffs. The teams in each playoff series will play all games at the same stadium and it will be a stadium that provides no "home field advantage" to either team.

For example, the ALDS will be played in San Diego at the Padres ballpark and the other will be played at Dodger Stadium.

The NBA has also had zero cases in their bubble. MLB can't say the same. Not even close.

10HtownRebs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,298,636.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one watching the Wussified Cater to me Perimeter Collusion league anymore? Superstars used to get banged out, bruised up, abused and STILL managed better accomplishments than these overrated, overpaid primadonnas today.

No one is gonna watch pretenders to throne, when they have already experienced the REAL thing.

Ask the NFL and college football. Their rating and shitty also...

Wonder what the common problem is?? Humm.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's not logistically possible with football and baseball. There are far too many people that have to be there.

Also, baseball is going to be getting as close to a "bubble" as they can for the playoffs. The teams in each playoff series will play all games at the same stadium and it will be a stadium that provides no "home field advantage" to either team.

For example, the ALDS will be played in San Diego at the Padres ballpark and the other will be played at Dodger Stadium.

The NBA has also had zero cases in their bubble. MLB can't say the same. Not even close.

Thats fair

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The athletic said these ratings for the conference finals are the worst since bird/magic era.

sorry that’s not a technical glitch.

that ignorant self righteous dumbasses biting the hand that feeds them.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The athletic said these ratings for the conference finals are the worst since bird/magic era.

sorry that’s not a technical glitch.

that ignorant self righteous dumbasses biting the hand that feeds them.

This guy pretty much hits the nail on the head...

I would throw in when the George Floyd thing went down, suddenly Minn also gets the 1st pick in the draft. When AD left, the Pelicans got the first pick in the draft....The NBA needs other cities to buy in, but nobody is falling for their games except a small subset of diehards lol