• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats Wrong with NFL Football?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know....I know....where should we start. I have seen (and contributed) to the discussions I have seen here. This has even been an ongoing debate within my office as well. I think the below link.....a discussion between Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell is one of the best reads I have had on this matter so far. Take what opinion you have about either writer and set it aside......while the solutions suggested might not suit all....I think this is a clear layout of the myriad of issues this league faces.

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.n5zngs4f7

Namely this:

Anyway, I believe the NFL is juggling more “second conversations” right now than any league in the history of professional sports. In no particular order …

1. Concussions
2. An undeniable change in the way the game is being played
3. An undeniable decline in the quality of play in September and October
4. The commissioner’s serial abuse of his power
5. Conflicting policies regarding painkillers, HGH, steroids, and marijuana
6. A looming free fall in youth football participation numbers
7. A lack of under-30 superstars who resonate with fans
8. National anthem protests (and whether it affects certain fan bases)
9. Billionaire owners repeatedly extorting their fans to pay for new stadiums
10. Millennials and cord-cutters gravitating more to the NBA and soccer
11. An oversaturation of TV games because of shameless greed
12. That pre-election decline in ratings, and whether it should be considered an aberration or something more

For me.....I thought most strongly on number 10. While I am too old to be a Millennial I am a cord cutter. This has been the first full NFL season I have been off of cables teat. As an overall I am MUCH happier being a cord cutter than paying $110 a month for the 8 channels I might watch or DVR over the given month. Live sports has presented the greatest challenge. But even this has not been insurmountable without some effort.

Those that know me well from my time on a previous sports board know of my strong disdain over the last decade for the NFL's policies towards Sunday Ticket, online streaming of games, etc. I am not a fan. I am not a fan of a model that I just do not feel does the best for the game. Sure.....it probably makes the more money at $200+ a pop annually for DirecTV subscribers than a "pay for play" streaming model would.....but it does not help the popularity of the game more. Another example of choosing a strong myopic view of more money now vs stability over the long term.

Combined with all the other issues I see (quality of play and OFFICIATING....as well as being turned off at an, at best, heavy handed and uneven approach to safety) this has me less likely to look for a stream of an NFL game, or stick with it. It makes me less likely even to pull up the local or prime time game and adjust my antenna to get the over air feed to come in (and that is saying something).

The me from about 5-6 years ago would look at this as an absurdity and an impossibility. Miss out on NFL games? Unpossible!

Still....as I go through my second year with cord cut....I find myself less and less willing to make even a token effort to watch most NFL games and show any support to the "cartel of 32 owners" that have turned it into a product with NONE of the appeal if had 10-20 years ago. Imagine that.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had Sunday Ticket since it was available in my area in 1998. Can't imagine living without it. Zero interest in watching anywhere other than my recroom on a proper TV. Zero interest in streaming, phones, etc.

I'm a patient fellow, I watch at least 6 games in the entirety on a Sunday before the night game. I can record up to 6 at once and while I have to leave one "port" open for the missus, and maybe one for a car race, I almost always have 4 AM games to watch and similar in the afternoon.

I don't do commercials, half times, etc.

The only thing that bothers me about the NFL is officiating. The variation of officiating game to game.

And Roger....

And Thursday Night games could stop and I'd be OK with that. Hard to fit in all my regular TV viewing with 3 night games a week.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had Sunday Ticket since it was available in my area in 1998. Can't imagine living without it. Zero interest in watching anywhere other than my recroom on a proper TV. Zero interest in streaming, phones, etc.

I'm a patient fellow, I watch at least 6 games in the entirety on a Sunday before the night game. I can record up to 6 at once and while I have to leave one "port" open for the missus, and maybe one for a car race, I almost always have 4 AM games to watch and similar in the afternoon.

I don't do commercials, half times, etc.

The only thing that bothers me about the NFL is officiating. The variation of officiating game to game.

And Roger....

And Thursday Night games could stop and I'd be OK with that. Hard to fit in all my regular TV viewing with 3 night games a week.

Disclosure....I had Sunday Ticket twice in the past. For the ticket itself I did not mind I paying what they were asking back then.

What added up for me was the monthly DirecTV bill and the seeming lack of value I was feeling for cable/satellite service. I did hem and haw over this for years before finally cutting the cord.....and I'm so glad I did.

If the game were more worth watching for all other reasons I would pay the money for Sunday ticket if there was an option that did not require satellite subscription. Hell....5 years ago I would have signed a 10 year contract with the cartel for it. I would hate myself now....but I would have done it.

If only they weren't so myopic on the most money to make today....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are so many positives to the NFL but #10 is an undeniable hit to the NFL. Of course Bill Simmons probably isnt going to be the first person to point out the lack of parity in the AFC being an issue but this year could be different.

Id imagine the ratings in STL and SD are probably way down

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are millennials really gravitating to soccer? Pokemon Go maybe...

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you cut the cords you get 5 games a week on antenna?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well postulated post OP.

Now, quit whining!

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem the NFL has is they don't make as much money as they want, on top of their mountain of cash they will continue to make every year for decades to come at the very least.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No its a misconception there is more popularity but alot more gravitate towards football

It's not a misconception.

This Study on Millennials' Video Preferences Should Worry ESPN

The article is a bit wonky, and frankly I don't know I could find interesting things on this site. But, I'm not a Millennial. The point being by calling out #10 in the OP was about cord cutting. No matter the generation more and more are doing it. And once you get out there you notice something....lots of easy to reach basketball and soccer and even baseball is coming on. Know what you don't see a lot of readily available? NFL football.

And that's my point....you have enough to fix in the game right now. Yet....the one American sport that ALWAYS gets knocked for being arcane and set in the past is beating you to the broadcasting trends that are forming for the future. Myopic.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you cut the cords you get 5 games a week on antenna?

You get four on antenna. Thur and three Sunday. MNF is ESPN....which is easy to reach with ESPNs app....but technically not on antenna.

And another point....even ESPN sees the winds of change. But the NFL still refuses to.

There are still game options. But what I think it is right to see is an option for anyone to order their teams games, or the Red Zone, without having to pay for DirecTV to get it.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get four on antenna. Thur and three Sunday. MNF is ESPN....which is easy to reach with ESPNs app....but technically not on antenna.

And another point....even ESPN sees the winds of change. But the NFL still refuses to.

There are still game options. But what I think it is right to see is an option for anyone to order their teams games, or the Red Zone, without having to pay for DirecTV to get it.
1 thursday, 1 sunday night, 1 late game, 2 early games usually

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a misconception.

This Study on Millennials' Video Preferences Should Worry ESPN

The article is a bit wonky, and frankly I don't know I could find interesting things on this site. But, I'm not a Millennial. The point being by calling out #10 in the OP was about cord cutting. No matter the generation more and more are doing it. And once you get out there you notice something....lots of easy to reach basketball and soccer and even baseball is coming on. Know what you don't see a lot of readily available? NFL football.

And that's my point....you have enough to fix in the game right now. Yet....the one American sport that ALWAYS gets knocked for being arcane and set in the past is beating you to the broadcasting trends that are forming for the future. Myopic.
I guess I am considered a Millennial ? I think it's way easier to find football than Soccer or NBA? Not many people have TNT or ESPN for NBA and I have no idea what channels soccer is even on? It might just be me though. :scratch: For the record I am a fan of world cup style soccer but that is strictly ESPN from what I remember.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing is the biggest thing wrong with the NFL which is not even listed is the commercials.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disclosure....I had Sunday Ticket twice in the past. For the ticket itself I did not mind I paying what they were asking back then.

What added up for me was the monthly DirecTV bill and the seeming lack of value I was feeling for cable/satellite service. I did hem and haw over this for years before finally cutting the cord.....and I'm so glad I did.

If the game were more worth watching for all other reasons I would pay the money for Sunday ticket if there was an option that did not require satellite subscription. Hell....5 years ago I would have signed a 10 year contract with the cartel for it. I would hate myself now....but I would have done it.

If only they weren't so myopic on the most money to make today....

I pay $200 a month for cable. In Sunday ticket season. I could waste $200 on a Friday with a shitty dinner out.

It's the cheapest entertainment I can buy. I don't have to futz about with streaming, or anything remotely resembling it. My PVR takes care of recording series for me and all I have to do is sit down and watch.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where to start.....

The product on the field has really never been worse. Players are so consumed with working out that they neglect the fundamentals, thus more dropped catches/missed tackles/etc.

Far, far too many injuries....again...todays athlete spends more time in the gym, taking so many supplements and PED's that the players are simply too big/fast/strong for their ligaments and such to respond. There once was a time in the not-to-distant past when torn ACL's and such were a rarity. Now? Every team has to deal with several players, every year. Torn tricep? Torn pec? These things seemingly never happened and never happened to end seasons. Now? It's common place. The fans are left watching the best players on the sidelines.

The hip-hop/me-first/look-at-me gang thug culture. It's a societal issue that has spread like cancer to the NFL and quite frankly, it's a disgrace. Tough guys and their guns and thug mentality. A sad state that is now fully accepted by most. A three yard catch turns someone loose to mid field by himself so he can get his applause...FFS...in today's game, a quadriplegic can catch a 3 yard pass.

The style of the game played. When I started watching, it was a run-oriented, defensive era, and it slowly became more and more boring. The league then opened up the game starting in 1978, but kept turning it up offensively, thus leading to the pinball era that we are in today. It's geared for the fantasy-football fan, but it's just as boring as it was 40 years ago. They had the proper balance but gave in to more money to be made - which I guess is understandable since it is a business. As a fan however....

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except I never watch live, Almost live but never have to view commercials or half times or anything I don't want to.
I wish I had your patience I get way to antsy to just watch the game. I would spoil it for myself before I got to actually watched the game too.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I had your patience I get way to antsy to just watch the game. I would spoil it for myself before I got to actually watched the game too.

Yeah well I'm 61. I'm not an instant gratification sort of guy, never really have been. I don't have a phone trying to update me on shit. Don't need it because I'm watching....

My Sunday starts around 7 AM (Pacific) as I watch NFL network while on elliptical unit. After shower I watch the ESPN boys pregame. Recorded of course so I can avoid any fucking reference to fantasy football....

Then I set up the 4 games I'm going to record, and start in.

A nice lunch break, maybe get my work lunch made for Monday, do the cat shit box, etc.

Then back to the afternoon line up. Maybe a few bowls in front of the fireplace. Happy hour is soon, pregame for the night game shortly, then the night game which I get finished with in a little over 1 hour.

Then it's HBO time.....