• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats Wrong with NFL Football?

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But throwing a flag is the correct call and that's what we should be teaching players. Instead of teaching players how to play properly teams teach them how to cheat such as holding on Offense or grabbing an arm or jersey on defense and get away with it. The famous line of "you can holding on every play if you want too" is just accepted as it is but no one is showing players how to play correctly and not do that.

If every illegal play or hold was called then sure fans would be pissed until teams started teaching players not to do that.

Fans get pissed at all the flags but if the refs see something the should throw a flag until teams stop doing it

To my understanding the application for penalty flags to change behavior has come about for safety reasons. Even as the application of such penalties (say late or head hits to the QB) has felt arbitrary and uneven I can respect it. This is the adjustment phase in the application of such penalties.

But....while going through such an adjustment phase why increase enforcement on something like holding? As you said...you can call holding on any play. It has always been that way. And how is your run of the mill hold call a safety issue.

As example....chop blocks have zero tolerance this year. I'm fully behind that. But while enforcing a zero tolerance on such safety impacting penalties why increase the amount of ticky tack calls as well?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to the original question I still love the NFL, best sport by far. But I agree there are a lot of problems. Too many games, Thursday . Night Football has little interest. Now that I don't play FF why would I watch Titans/Jags? But the real problem was mentioned earlier, too many flags. Way too many. I get the need for safety and I like how they protect the QB, defenders seem to have adjusted. But if I see one more "hitting a defenseless receiver" I'll....I'll....OK I'll do northing but watch and complain. But I won't be happy, taking out the receiver and knocking the ball loose is what a safety is supposed to do.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty simple....over managed game and political correctness.
Bad calls have always been part of the game but now their a large part of the telecast

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SUN Tkt works for you and it works for a lot of people which is why ATT/DTV spent billions to keep it exclusively.

I was in that same boat for a decade plus too...the last 2 years not so much...I was watching about 8 Steeler games that were not on local TV and a few other games...imo not really enough to justify the cost...I can stream games on my TV as it has a web browser built in and good internet speed...is it the same as a TV telecast? No, but for $20 for the season vs $200+ I'm fine with it.

As some point DTV will realize that PPV games is the way to go...when they do I will revisit it then.

At the end of the day, it's discretionary income...i.e. not a right or wrong way to go about it.

Well said. I don't disagree with the effectiveness of the business model. What the cartel does well is find where there is money to be made. I just think it's a short sighted business model. They definitely show to suffer from myopia. Yes....it's still the league on top. And I still want to enjoy NFL football. But both things are changing quickly.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SUN Tkt works for you and it works for a lot of people which is why ATT/DTV spent billions to keep it exclusively.

I was in that same boat for a decade plus too...the last 2 years not so much...I was watching about 8 Steeler games that were not on local TV and a few other games...imo not really enough to justify the cost...I can stream games on my TV as it has a web browser built in and good internet speed...is it the same as a TV telecast? No, but for $20 for the season vs $200+ I'm fine with it.

As some point DTV will realize that PPV games is the way to go...when they do I will revisit it then.

At the end of the day, it's discretionary income...i.e. not a right or wrong way to go about it.

I prefer to be able to see all games if I choose. I honestly don't think $200 is a lot of money. Especially if it's CDN $...

And cable is so convenient.

I am not into fucking around.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was you for a long time, going back to the VCR era I would record and watch with the FF button. Sitting through commercials was unacceptable and like you I don't have interest in using a phone or tablet during the breaks. But with Red Zone Channel I now prefer the 2 TV set up with the Redskins live and RZC on the other. But how do you record games running simultaniously and then watch them consecutively? Don't you see the scores of the games you are about to watch?

I record 4 games. And simply keep my eyes up on the play. Big TVs allow that.

The annoying ticker at the bottom some times catches me out but not often.

I actually toyed with putting a strip of cardboard over the lower screen to avoid it.

I used to run 2 VCRs back in the day and switch tapes.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I record 4 games. And simply keep my eyes up on the play. Big TVs allow that.

The annoying ticker at the bottom some times catches me out but not often.

I actually toyed with putting a strip of cardboard over the lower screen to avoid it.

I used to run 2 VCRs back in the day and switch tapes.

You are my hero. Back when VHS required you to wait for the game to be over before you could rewind the tape I would turn on the set, then use an albulm to block the picture so I wouldn't see the score as I checked to see if the game was over.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Need more pools like Jacksonville but fill them with sharks! I'd be employed in no time!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer to be able to see all games if I choose. I honestly don't think $200 is a lot of money. Especially if it's CDN $...

And cable is so convenient.

I am not into fucking around.

And you should get that opportunity...that shouldn't go away, but everybody is not you. If you're watching it, $200 is not a lot of money.

As I said earlier...it's discretionary money. I know people that spend 100s on WWE, and I wouldn't spend a dime on it...good for them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said. I don't disagree with the effectiveness of the business model. What the cartel does well is find where there is money to be made. I just think it's a short sighted business model. They definitely show to suffer from myopia. Yes....it's still the league on top. And I still want to enjoy NFL football. But both things are changing quickly.

The landscape is changing...millennials don't seem to be as enthused with NFL as boomers...but we know it's about the dollar...when the NFL sees that PPV games in addition to the current NFL tkt, and local broadcast is incremental revenue, they will take it more seriously.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The landscape is changing...millennials don't seem to be as enthused with NFL as boomers...but we know it's about the dollar...when the NFL sees that PPV games in addition to the current NFL tkt, and local broadcast is incremental revenue, they will take it more seriously.

Well said. I think I've done what I always do well....get really high word counts without getting to my point. I will try better this morning.

The point is simply built off of this post im quoting on. I'm not sure what the contract is between DTV and NFL, but I know I voiced for this at least once in the past only to see the two of them extend their exclusive deal. The point is that there should be an option to get the Sunday games you want, including the Red Zone if you choose, that does not include forking out roughly $2k a year for DTV. I've can afford it.....ive done it before. But I no longer see the value in it.

MLB, NBA, NHL...even soccer leagues (if you choose)....all offer online streaming packages that offer full seasons or monthly/game packages you can opt for.

I've adapted to the streaming world to see my games. In it's imperfection I need to be very motivated to pull up a game. And with all the other things ailing the game I don't often feel motivated to do it. But I would gladly kick some change to the cartel for the games(s) I find value in if there was the right option.

Other leagues offer options to choose how you consume their sport these days. Only the NFL tells you that you will watch their game on the terms they set. And that arrogant position has lost its footing and will continue to. The ratings dip experienced earlier this year (I know....the election was the culprit. But not the only one) might be the only tangible ratings they lose. But there is a burgeoning market of eyeballs growing by leaps and bounds (and so far not able to be tangibly rated) out there. And the NFL is the only major sport not present at the party. Sad.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like that you see this as well. That's exactly what has been my ax grind for years now and only came up more when I read the article in the OP. They refuse to see what every other sport already has. They are a myopic beast that has many things ailing it to fix. And continuing to lose eye balls is only going to escalate those issues.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB, NBA, NHL...even soccer leagues (if you choose)....all offer online streaming packages that offer full seasons or monthly/game packages you can opt for.

And the NFL is the only major sport not present at the party. Sad.

Agree 100%.

It just makes sense...both DTV and the NFL are missing the boat...I equate it somewhat to GM back in the early 70s when Japanese cars started making entry into the US...They owned a dominant share of the car market, but by the time they realized their marketshare was dwindling it was too late.

Granted the NFL has a monopoly on pro football and they will most likely always have the diehard NFL fan but gradually the fringe fan is starting to tune out.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get all of the hand wringing, frankly. The NFL isn't offering enough viewing options or there's oversaturation... I'm not clear on how it can be both which is what I've read here. The "defenseless WR hit" penalty is one I'll probably never get used to, but other than that I've adjusted. Having a 400%+ advantage over their nearest competitor is probably a problem that most businesses would like to have.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree 100%.

It just makes sense...both DTV and the NFL are missing the boat...I equate it somewhat to GM back in the early 70s when Japanese cars started making entry into the US...They owned a dominant share of the car market, but by the time they realized their marketshare was dwindling it was too late.

Granted the NFL has a monopoly on pro football and they will most likely always have the diehard NFL fan but gradually the fringe fan is starting to tune out.

The monopoly is the thing that both sustains so much and also feeds the arrogance. The antidote to such a monopoly is apathy.

People can say "fuck the whiny little millennials (again, I am not one). The NFL doesn't want their views anyway."

But....the NFL does want their eye balls. That's where the future is at. And they don't seem to grasp just how to go to that. If we are really getting deep on this a millennial doesn't even want the ppv that I am advocating. They want free and advertised access options against all platforms possible.

I guess while I'm criticizing so much I should note that the horrible Thursday night games have been put on Twitter. It really is a step in the right direction. It's just....they're Thursday night games. Hardly a fair test bed for such an idea. Hopefully they test something like this against all games next year. The market is there!!!

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get all of the hand wringing, frankly. The NFL isn't offering enough viewing options or there's oversaturation... I'm not clear on how it can be both which is what I've read here. The "defenseless WR hit" penalty is one I'll probably never get used to, but other than that I've adjusted. Having a 400%+ advantage over their nearest competitor is probably a problem that most businesses would like to have.

That is a really fair point. On the face of it this is totally contradictory. However, I view it as separate issues. The lack of options to watch, if remedied, would still offer the oversatuation of games and poorly picked matchups. I.E....the product would still be the same. That is something that still needs fixing. The hints that Thursday night might go away is a good place to start.

While here....another suggestion in the article in the OP was to eliminate preseason....extend to 17 games with two byes. I could even see the 18 games with two byes happening. Match this with killing Thursday and you could get the players on board. They also suggested a system where every player can only play 16 of those 17 games (with expanded rosters).

While this admittedly appeals to me I also recognize it could be just way too much of a headache. Coaches already have some issue managing all the aspects in and out of game. Make them have to pick when all starters take a game off too? That just feels like a mess

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a really fair point. On the face of it this is totally contradictory. However, I view it as separate issues. The lack of options to watch, if remedied, would still offer the oversatuation of games and poorly picked matchups. I.E....the product would still be the same. That is something that still needs fixing. The hints that Thursday night might go away is a good place to start.

While here....another suggestion in the article in the OP was to eliminate preseason....extend to 17 games with two byes. I could even see the 18 games with two byes happening. Match this with killing Thursday and you could get the players on board. They also suggested a system where every player can only play 16 of those 17 games (with expanded rosters).

While this admittedly appeals to me I also recognize it could be just way too much of a headache. Coaches already have some issue managing all the aspects in and out of game. Make them have to pick when all starters take a game off too? That just feels like a mess

I'm sure that all of the NFL's broadcast options are under regular evaluation by people being paid a lot of money to do so. That doesn't make them right or wrong, but I suspect that if they were to read this thread none of them would think "Hey, great idea. Why didn't we think of that ?".

I'm ambivalent with respect to the season length or any proposed reconfiguration. It's fine the way it is. Drop a couple of pre-season games... add a couple to the regular season.. idc. But requiring each player to sit out a game every season, with all due respect, is probably the dumbest suggestion I've heard yet. That's just never going to happen.