• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Whats Wrong with NFL Football?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thursday games are atrocious. It is terrible football. I rarely ever watch it now. So that first problem can be termed over-saturation. I'm not catching many of the Sunday and Monday games anymore either. Too many other things to do that are more enjoyable than sitting in front of a TV and getting an hour and half of commercials. Guess that would be the second problem, the NFL has over-leveraged it's number one profit source and now it negatively effects my enjoyment of the product. Less practice after the newest CBA seems to have negatively affected the game, blocking and tackling are just awful around most of the league.

And all 3 things detract from the audience's enjoyment of the product. It's oversold and underperforms.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I punched the NFL clock yesterday @~7:30 A.M. ESPN pregame.

I signed off and watched Simpsons about 8:30 PM.

I basically watched 100% of Det-NO, LA-NE, KC-Atl, Mia-Bal and Phi-Cin in the AM.

Then in the afternoon I watched Buf-Oak, TB-SD, Was-Ari and NYG-Pitt.

And of course Car-Sea although that game was shite....

Just another day at the office....

And now I'm looking forward to the Monday PM game.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been living in the "participation ribbon" era for the past two decades now. The people who grew up during that time aren't into competitions where one winner is ultimately decided upon. The politically correct, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is a winner, era combined with social justice issues that brainwash soft headed dupes into believing that everyone is equal, everyone is the same, we should never use force, and we should never do anything someone might be offended by, has spawned a generation of limp-wristed, anti-athletic, anti-male plebs who would rather watch the "Real retarded housewives of whatever county" than watch real men playing a man's sport called "football". That's why ratings keep dropping. We keep using the same cookie cutter format on the new generation of kids that we used on the last two generations and we are expecting a different result? Not likely.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two words

Bill Belichick

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goooooooooooooo Raiders!!!!

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over-saturation.

I say saturate the fuck out of me....

I've now found myself watching NFL Insiders, NFL Live and First Take, to go along with Monday Night Countdown, and NFL Prime Time..... Plus the Football Night in America pre-game show.

I haven't watched a hockey game since last year's NHL Final final game. And it's on all the fucking time up here.

But I never miss an NFL game. And I always record. I can't imagine any more primitive form of viewing.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say saturate the fuck out of me....

I've now found myself watching NFL Insiders, NFL Live and First Take, to go along with Monday Night Countdown, and NFL Prime Time..... Plus the Football Night in America pre-game show.

I haven't watched a hockey game since last year's NHL Final final game. And it's on all the fucking time up here.

But I never miss an NFL game. And I always record. I can't imagine any more primitive form of viewing.

I understand that you're 61 and got all your shit figured out, and I'm just a 32 year old whippersnapper, but there is more to life than football.

Maybe I'll learn otherwise over time haha.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that you're 61 and got all your shit figured out, and I'm just a 32 year old whippersnapper, but there is more to life than football.

Maybe I'll learn otherwise over time haha.

I concur, there is more to life than football.

But there is more to life than a lot of things deemed important by some. 1 day a week, a Sunday, some waste it in prayer....

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a really fair point. On the face of it this is totally contradictory. However, I view it as separate issues. The lack of options to watch, if remedied, would still offer the oversatuation of games and poorly picked matchups. I.E....the product would still be the same. That is something that still needs fixing. The hints that Thursday night might go away is a good place to start.

While here....another suggestion in the article in the OP was to eliminate preseason....extend to 17 games with two byes. I could even see the 18 games with two byes happening. Match this with killing Thursday and you could get the players on board. They also suggested a system where every player can only play 16 of those 17 games (with expanded rosters).

While this admittedly appeals to me I also recognize it could be just way too much of a headache. Coaches already have some issue managing all the aspects in and out of game. Make them have to pick when all starters take a game off too? That just feels like a mess

Have a hard time imaging the players union (or even the NFL) agreeing to expanding the schedule to 17 or 18 games with all of the current concerns about head injuries. At the least they would only agree to this if the NFL gave them a much larger amt of money (possibly not covered just by the additional revenue for another game or two). Adding additional games also adds to the problem of oversaturation. Jeez - why can't the NFL just not be so greedy and either reduce the amt of preseason games or at least not charge full price for those tickets.

No way I see anyone agreeing that every player would have to sit out at least one game. For starters as a fan I would hate to attend a game where perhaps my favorite player had to sit it out.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my world football is great just the way it is now.
I don't care if others watch it or not.
The only thing for me to want is to attend more games.
Can't afford to but that is not footballs falut

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've been living in the "participation ribbon" era for the past two decades now. The people who grew up during that time aren't into competitions where one winner is ultimately decided upon. The politically correct, everyone gets a trophy, everyone is a winner, era combined with social justice issues that brainwash soft headed dupes into believing that everyone is equal, everyone is the same, we should never use force, and we should never do anything someone might be offended by, has spawned a generation of limp-wristed, anti-athletic, anti-male plebs who would rather watch the "Real retarded housewives of whatever county" than watch real men playing a man's sport called "football". That's why ratings keep dropping. We keep using the same cookie cutter format on the new generation of kids that we used on the last two generations and we are expecting a different result? Not likely.

Heh, you're a fellow Seahawks fan, but for crissakes, this is absolute nonense. Like guys of our generation were John Waynes.

OUR grandparents said the same shit.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my world football is great just the way it is now.
I don't care if others watch it or not.
The only thing for me to want is to attend more games.
Can't afford to but that is not footballs falut

I'm pretty sure I'll never attend one live.

I'm saving my shekels for a train ride across Canada to see the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal.

And that will be it for live sporting events.

I like watching on TV just fine.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still watch if it's a good match up (which is rare). I never watch the beginning of the game though. I can't bring myself to watch those rich BLM asshats disrespecting their country. A new poll reported on FOX showed that despite what the idiot Goodell says, some 30% of American viewers don't watch simply because it's been hijacked by BLM.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still watch if it's a good match up (which is rare). I never watch the beginning of the game though. I can't bring myself to watch those rich BLM asshats disrespecting their country. A new poll reported on FOX showed that despite what the idiot Goodell says, some 30% of American viewers don't watch simply because it's been hijacked by BLM.

It's so funny that I don't even notice something that has supposedly "hijacked" the NFL.

I tend to think that 30% (doubtful) are just dbags that have their own agenda. I mean really...get a life and good riddance.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lot's of truths here

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't normally have time to sit down and watch a full Eagles game so who has time to take an entire Sunday to watch teams they don't even like? If you ever catch me taking 3+ hours to sit down to watch the Jets play on a Monday night, do me a favor and slap the crap out of me.