• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soo.. Whats going on with NBA ratings?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
none of those are incorrect

They are all wildly incorrect.

LOL.

People who actually believe that painting the words “black lives matter” on a basketball court is “terrorist propaganda” are more at fault for our divided nation than anybody else.

There are extremists on both sides. But damn so many ignorant people buy the extreme right wing agenda hook line and sinker.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are all wildly incorrect.

LOL.

People who actually believe that painting the words “black lives matter” on a basketball court is “terrorist propaganda” are more at fault for our divided nation than anybody else.

There are extremists on both sides. But damn so many ignorant people buy the extreme right wing agenda hook line and sinker.

Not one of them is inaccurate.

blm is a Marxist terroir orgnwization. That’s not even debateable after all the violence they’ve done

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one of them is inaccurate.

blm is a Marxist terroir orgnwization. That’s not even debateable after all the violence they’ve done

No.

There are extremists within the BLM movement that right wing radicals equate the entire movement to.

That is not what most people supporting it believe.

You are way off base.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the political shit to the politics forum.

As for the reason ratings are down...it has as much to do with the demographic they are trying to reach and the fact that the NBA tends to be somewhat regional as anything.

The NBA is geared more towards a younger demographic. A lot of younger folks don't use the traditional platforms to watch their sports. They use platforms like online streaming to watch games. Those numbers are not easily tracked.

Additionally, from what I heard reported the other day, in the LA market, the Lakers game was watched more than any other programming including Sunday Night Football.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take the political shit to the politics forum.

As for the reason ratings are down...it has as much to do with the demographic they are trying to reach and the fact that the NBA tends to be somewhat regional as anything.

The NBA is geared more towards a younger demographic. A lot of younger folks don't use the traditional platforms to watch their sports. They use platforms like online streaming to watch games. Those numbers are not easily tracked.

Additionally, from what I heard reported the other day, in the LA market, the Lakers game was watched more than any other programming including Sunday Night Football.

Sports definitely need to figure out how to track streaming numbers.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw hi-lites on ESPN this morning and didn't see any of the bull shit on the back of jerseys. Wonder why they stopped now?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw hi-lites on ESPN this morning and didn't see any of the bull shit on the back of jerseys. Wonder why they stopped now?
Maybe because of the negative reaction from fans.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just posted the worst ratings of any finals since they began recording the numbers...

Super woke leagues like the NHL's Stanley Cup ratings we're down 60%. Dustin Johnson taking a knee and Rory McIlroy screaming out Black Lives Matter after every drive caused the US Open's ratings to be down 56%

It's not politics. It's never been politics.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super woke leagues like the NHL's Stanley Cup ratings we're down 60%. Dustin Johnson taking a knee and Rory McIlroy screaming out Black Lives Matter after every drive caused the US Open's ratings to be down 56%

A lot more competition for viewers as well than usual.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot more competition for viewers as well than usual.

That's one of the biggest reasons its tough to make straight comparisons. It makes it difficult to compare ratings year over year when the events this year are not taking place at the same time they always do. Everything has been bunched up together so now its a buffet of sports where people have to pick one over the other. And if you check the ratings each night, you'll see sports are still finishing near the top or at the top each night even if the specific number itself is down year over year. FWIW, I saw a report last week that said "sports engagement", meaning fans talking about sporting events on social media, going to websites, was pretty high, showing that they are as popular as ever. But its like a I said in earlier posts, the way TV ratings are measured combined with increased competition, the specific number is down.

TLDR, the way we consume sports has changed but people are still consuming

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's one of the biggest reasons its tough to make straight comparisons. It makes it difficult to compare ratings year over year when the events this year are not taking place at the same time they always do. Everything has been bunched up together so now its a buffet of sports where people have to pick one over the other. And if you check the ratings each night, you'll see sports are still finishing near the top or at the top each night even if the specific number itself is down year over year. FWIW, I saw a report last week that said "sports engagement", meaning fans talking about sporting events on social media, going to websites, was pretty high, showing that they are as popular as ever. But its like a I said in earlier posts, the way TV ratings are measured combined with increased competition, the specific number is down.

TLDR, the way we consume sports has changed but people are still consuming

Exactly. When was the last time we had NFL games, college football games, NBA playoff games, hockey playoff games, MLB regular season and playoff games all going on at the same time.

That's not even including golf, soccer, UFC and the WNBA.

Personally speaking, I've never had to flip back and forth between Lakers and Dodgers playoff games before.

Plus ultimately, most people are creatures of habit. We watch our football in the fall, basketball and hockey in the winter and spring and baseball in the summer. Everyone's schedules are all fucked up. lol

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. When was the last time we had NFL games, college football games, NBA playoff games, hockey playoff games, MLB regular season and playoff games all going on at the same time.

That's not even including golf, soccer, UFC and the WNBA.

Personally speaking, I've never had to flip back and forth between Lakers and Dodgers playoff games before.

Plus ultimately, most people are creatures of habit. We watch our football in the fall, basketball and hockey in the winter and spring and baseball in the summer. Everyone's schedules are all fucked up. lol

the non football nights are still terrible. The nhl and nba compete with mlb during the playoffs and don’t have to deal with the draft stealing a few days either this year.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't.

i just switched to the NBA channel, thet are replaying last night 's game. Only a few have the bullshit, alot of the Lakers don't. Before seemed like every single player had it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the non football nights are still terrible. The nhl and nba compete with mlb during the playoffs and don’t have to deal with the draft stealing a few days either this year.

Again, people are creatures of habit. No one is used to watching the NBA and NHL this time of year.

And as wildturkey's post showed, all sports numbers are down right now. Even when there isn't football, the NBA and NHL usually have to compete with each other, but MLB playoffs are never part of the competition.

In short, it's not just the NBA. Not sure why some seem to think it is.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i switched to the NBA channel, thet are replaying last night 's game. Only a few have the bullshit, alot of the Lakers don't. Before seemed like every single player had it.

Putting the slogans on the jerseys was optional and not all players chose it. On the Lakers, Lebron, AD and I believe KCP and maybe 1 or 2 others didn't. Basically, all of the players who chose to have a slogan on their uniforms still do and the ones that chose otherwise, still don't.

It's probably less noticeable because there are only 2 teams left. Plus, after awhile, you stop noticing. For example, I don't notice the Black Lives Matter on the court anymore.

I do still notice the End Racism and slogans on the NFL fields and stadiums, but as the season goes on, I'm sure I will stop noticing those as well.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Does this mean folks are getting tired of watching sports?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NHL opened up the playoffs with hour long BLM tributes before the games...

The number one reason for people turning off the NBA is drumroll please...POLITICS.