• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Soo.. Whats going on with NBA ratings?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does this mean folks are getting tired of watching sports?

No. I think it's more sports overload. Which I would never have thought possible.

Literally every major sport is playing right now and people only have so many tv's and batteries for their remotes. lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL opened up the playoffs with hour long BLM tributes before the games...

The number one reason for people turning off the NBA is drumroll please...POLITICS.

Yeah, viewership is down in all sports...but only the NBA is about politics. :L

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, viewership is down in all sports...but only the NBA is about politics. :L
All of the leagues have been playing politics. The MLB had a whole montage narrated by Morgan Freeman while they all held a black piece of cloth.

The NBA is wholesale supporting a domestic terrorist group with “racial justice” slogans on everyone’s jerseys.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of the leagues have been playing politics. The MLB had a whole montage narrated by Morgan Freeman.

Yet folks only want to talk about the NBA ratings.

All of them are going to do this because all of them kind of have to given the demographics of their leagues.

I also disagree that it's strictly about politics.

As I posted above, literally every major sport is having games right now. There's only so much folks can watch at one time.

I'm not really a hockey fan, but I always try to watch some playoff hockey because that's when it's at it's best, imo. I haven't watched even one second of it. I just saw this week that the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup. I didn't even know the finals had started.

I think a lot of folks are having to make choices they normally wouldn't have to over sports they watch.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet folks only want to talk about the NBA ratings.

All of them are going to do this because all of them kind of have to given the demographics of their leagues.

I also disagree that it's strictly about politics.

As I posted above, literally every major sport is having games right now. There's only so much folks can watch at one time.

I'm not really a hockey fan, but I always try to watch some playoff hockey because that's when it's at it's best, imo. I haven't watched even one second of it. I just saw this week that the Tampa Bay Lightning won the Stanley Cup. I didn't even know the finals had started.

I think a lot of folks are having to make choices they normally wouldn't have to over sports they watch.
You also have LeBron James saying that the police are hunting black people in the streets while he keeps his trap shut about China and the police getting ambushed and shot in their squad car. The NBA has created a lot of bad publicity for themselves this summer.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I think it's more sports overload. Which I would never have thought possible.

Literally every major sport is playing right now and people only have so many tv's and batteries for their remotes. lol
I'm only watching golf and NFL football.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have LeBron James saying that the police are hunting black people in the streets while he keeps his trap shut about China and the police getting ambushed and shot in their squad car. The NBA has created a lot of bad publicity for themselves this summer.

And the NFL created a lot for themselves with the kneeling. And the NHL apparently with their tribute thing. And NASCAR with Bubba Wallace.

If you don't like the NBA, fine. Stay off the NBA boards. No one cares.

I'll never understand the need of some posters to stop by a board for a sport they don't watch to tell everyone how they don't watch it or to complain about a sport they don't watch. Seems stupid.

I don't watch NeckCAR. I think watching people turn left for 500 miles is a pretty stupid and boring way to spend an afternoon and don't even get me started on what I think of sawker. But you don't see me dropping into the NASCAR or soccer forums to announce that I don't watch it.

As for people who allow politics to determine their entertainment...I can't think of much that's stupider than that. I don't give a shit about Lebron or any other athlete or entertainers politics.

I watch Lebron because he's one of the greatest basketball players I've ever seen and he's on the verge of leading my favorite team to the finals. When he's not doing that, I don't care what he does or who he votes for.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm only watching golf and NFL football.

That's some discipline there.

I'm watching NFL, college football, NBA, MLB and UFC.

Some nights I go to bed feeling like I've been playing all of those sports all day. lol

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the NFL created a lot for themselves with the kneeling. And the NHL apparently with their tribute thing. And NASCAR with Bubba Wallace.

If you don't like the NBA, fine. Stay off the NBA boards. No one cares.

I'll never understand the need of some posters to stop by a board for a sport they don't to tell everyone how they don't watch it or to complain about a sport they don't watch. Seems stupid.

I don't watch NeckCAR. I think watching people turn left for 500 miles is a pretty stupid and boring way to spend an afternoon and don't even get me started on what I think of sawker. But you don't see me dropping into the NASCAR or soccer forums to announce that I don't watch it.
The NFL’s ratings are down too. I actually usually watch the NBA playoffs most years but I can’t this year. I’ve never watched a NASCAR race in my life and couldn’t care less about it.

When all of these leagues have the same thing in common and the same consequences maybe it should at least be discussed as to why it’s happening. Its a pretty significant thing to be down 45% in ratings resulting in the lowest ever recorded for a finals. It’s pretty obvious that they’re doing something wrong considering most people are stuck at home and still won’t watch.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watching golf and NFL here. Don't watch NCAAF much and this season it's pointless to, MLB gets boring pretty quick to me, and NBA can go fuck itself with their racial bullshit, flopping, and fixed games.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watching golf and NFL here. Don't watch NCAAF much and this season it's pointless to, MLB gets boring pretty quick to me, and NBA can go fuck itself with their racial bullshit, flopping, and fixed games.
What are your thoughts on cars driving in circles for 3+ hours?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL’s ratings are down too. I actually usually watch the NBA playoffs most years but I can’t this year. I’ve never watched a NASCAR race in my life and couldn’t care less about it.

When all of these leagues have the same thing in common and the same consequences maybe it should at least be discussed as to why it’s happening. Its a pretty significant thing to be down 45% in ratings resulting in the lowest ever recorded for a finals. It’s pretty obvious that they’re doing something wrong considering most people are stuck at home and still won’t watch.

If you're not watching the NBA playoffs this year, you've missed some amazing games and performances.

That's what I'm saying...all sports viewership is down

I think this year is an anomaly for all sports. There's so much shit going on outside of sports and there are so many sports happening at the same time, I think it's just too much for some folks.

Hell, I'm about as bad as it gets for sports addiction and I feel almost punch drunk some days. lol

In the next year or so, all of this shit will have calmed down, sports will be back on their normal cycle as will the rest of the country and viewership will likely be back up to normal levels or close to it.

If there's a mistake with the sports leagues it's being made by both the leagues and the fans.

The sports leagues mistake is in not completely understanding that for most people, sports is an escape. Part of why we watch sports is to get a break from "real world shit". A lot of fans don't want to be reminded of real world shit when they're watching sports.

The fans that aren't watching are making a mistake because the stuff that the leagues are doing is pretty easily avoided and the stuff that isn't easily avoided (like Black Lives Matter on the NBA courts) really isn't noticeable once the games start. So they're missing out on some really good games (and a good escape) because they're afraid they might see a message they don't like. Seems snowflakey to me.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol @fixed games. Do you understand how difficult it would be for a league to actually fix games and get away with it?

My guess is no, since you actually typed that sentence.

And lol @golf. Old men walking in weird pants.

Also, seems like it was the NFL that started with the "racial shit".

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @fixed games. Do you understand how difficult it would be for a league to actually fix games and get away with it?

My guess is no, since you actually typed that sentence.

And lol @golf. Old men walking in weird pants.

Also, seems like it was the NFL that started with the "racial shit".

Fair point to call bullshit on my comment about fixed games.

As for golf, old men walking in weird pants? Do you actually watch golf? I understand for many it's the equivalent of watching paint dry but my guess is no, since you actually typed that sentence.

Yah... NFL did... they started with the whole Colin Krapershit thing and kneeling and BLM shit...

GOD DAMMIT TROJAN, you're supposed to be on my side!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point to call bullshit on my comment about fixed games.

As for golf, old men walking in weird pants? Do you actually watch golf? I understand for many it's the equivalent of watching paint dry but my guess is no, since you actually typed that sentence.

Yah... NFL did... they started with the whole Colin Krapershit thing and kneeling and BLM shit...

GOD DAMMIT TROJAN, you're supposed to be on my side!

I have watched golf and what I saw was old men walking in weird pants (and my opinion on golf has nothing to do with the extremely frustrating afternoon I once spent trying to actually play lol).

I am on your side...but I gotta have my sports dammit.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree, James needs to shut his mouth on cetain issues, especially when he says shit like this. He also said black people are afraid when in public. What a douche.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, James needs to shut his mouth on cetain issues, especially when he says shit like this. He also said black people are afraid when in public. What a douche.

Lebron has said a lot of cringe worthy shit over the years. Both re: basketball and stuff outside basketball.

Hell, there's video of him watching a video of his chase down block in the 2016 finals where he looks at the guys watching with him and says "That's when I knew I was the best that ever did it."

You take the good with the bad with pretty much every great athlete.

That same irrational confidence that gets them to play at the levels they do, sometimes works against them.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not watching the NBA playoffs this year, you've missed some amazing games and performances.

That's what I'm saying...all sports viewership is down

I think this year is an anomaly for all sports. There's so much shit going on outside of sports and there are so many sports happening at the same time, I think it's just too much for some folks.

Hell, I'm about as bad as it gets for sports addiction and I feel almost punch drunk some days. lol

In the next year or so, all of this shit will have calmed down, sports will be back on their normal cycle as will the rest of the country and viewership will likely be back up to normal levels or close to it.

If there's a mistake with the sports leagues it's being made by both the leagues and the fans.

The sports leagues mistake is in not completely understanding that for most people, sports is an escape. Part of why we watch sports is to get a break from "real world shit". A lot of fans don't want to be reminded of real world shit when they're watching sports.

The fans that aren't watching are making a mistake because the stuff that the leagues are doing is pretty easily avoided and the stuff that isn't easily avoided (like Black Lives Matter on the NBA courts) really isn't noticeable once the games start. So they're missing out on some really good games (and a good escape) because they're afraid they might see a message they don't like. Seems snowflakey to me.
I understand loving the game. You also have to understand that when a proposition is put between the game and your country in certain terms some people aren’t going to think twice about supporting their country. You might not think of it in those terms but some of us have had family members who laid their lives on the line and lost who won’t put up with it.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all this stuff has had an impact, zero doubt about that. I won’t let idiots rob me of something I enjoy, but the game doesn’t come on til it’s started and the remote is on the ready. I’m probably done with the nba however and I’m far from alone.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand loving the game. You also have to understand that when a proposition is put between the game and your country in certain terms some people aren’t going to think twice about supporting their country. You might not think of it in those terms but some of us have had family members who laid their lives on the line and lost who won’t put up with it.

My father was in the Navy during Vietnam, my 2 favorite Aunts were in the Army during the Korean War, one of my closest friends was in the Army, another close friend was a Marine and a cousin that I am fairly close with was in the Army during the Gulf War.

My father and 2 Aunts are gone, none of them would have allowed politics to stop them watching sports and my 2 friends and cousin are also still watching all sports. In fact, my friend that was in the Army will be here tomorrow to watch the Lakers game. My cousin is a die hard Arizona Cardinals, Suns and D'Backs fan. I get texts from him talking shit on my Seahawks, Lakers and Dodgers pretty regularly. lol

None of them like what is going on and don't like the kneeling, etc., but they also understand that is their right. It actually bothers me more than it does them.

Everyone is reacting differently. I just don't think folks who have decided to stop whatever sport(s) for whatever reason shouldn't be in forums making negative comments to people who choose to continue watching.