• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So after 5 games who are the teams that will want to draft a QB in the first two rounds

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See that could very well get interesting depending I would guess on how deep the Chiefs go in the play offs and if Andy feels comfortable with Pat taken over the keys to the offense...
Well, the nice thing is we're going to see 2 or so games of Mahomes to end of the year if they keep mowing down the front loaded schedule the Chiefs have. The post bye schedule looks pretty weak on paper. We're going to know to if Mahomes is completely lost (I believe he could start today based on preseason; Alex is the only reason he isn't) then Alex would have to be a legitimate discussion.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's to say it won't toll on him? Who do the Vikings keep? Do they keep them both?
Nothing stopping them from keeping him glued to the bench and tolling the contract. Cheaper that way. And it's dubious he could come back this year anyway; or soon enough to where it would toll.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want Alex Smith on this Jacksonville team next season

He may win 2 straight Super Bowls

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They keep both, Bridgewater is recovering from a possible career ending e
I want Alex Smith on this Jacksonville team next season

He may win 2 straight Super Bowls

Yeah talk about a young team only needing a QB to take this thing to the next level!

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers had Alex Smith but voted him off the island. Then thought they struck gold with Kaepernick, and he voted himself off the island. Now they're probably going to spend 3 or 4 years churning through top draft picks to find someone good, losing lots of games along the way. Love it.

Who spends 3 or 4 years using top draft picks on QB's? Why would an upper echelon offensive-minded guy do that anyways?

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who spends 3 or 4 years using top draft picks on QB's? Why would an upper echelon offensive-minded guy do that anyways?

Specially with a roster the 49ers have now! They aren't getting blown out every game, they are very close then what folks think, he finds his franchise QB next year and gets him a big fast wide out to grow with his young QB 49ers are right back in the division!

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Specially with a roster the 49ers have now! They aren't getting blown out every game, they are very close then what folks think, he finds his franchise QB next year and gets him a big fast wide out to grow with his young QB 49ers are right back in the division!

I dunno if they would be right back in the division, but a franchise type QB will certainly go a long way. Right now, they're finding ways to lose to just about any team - whether they are supposedly good teams like Sea or LAR...or some downtrodden types like Ariz or Indy.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are in much better shape salary cap wise versus Washington. Funny thing about Cousins - he is playing just good enough to be intriguing, but I have a hard time seeing him being worth $30 million a year.

Sure the 49ers have more cap room, but the Redskins will have more than enough cap space & it won't be as if they will need to apply $30M towards the cap next season (unless they tag him). I believe that you are seeing improvement in Cousins rt now & at this pt in the season he is certainly playing better than supposed franchise types like Big Ben, Ryan, Eli or Rivers. Sure he will never be Rodgers but who will. You pay the going amt in this era of the QB. The Redskins won't have much of a choice because who are they going to get if Cousins leaves? A rookie QB will set them back several years most likely.

Again - I see the two parties working this out over the offseason & it will be in the best interest of both of them. We will see.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland
San Fran
Jets
Giants
Phoenix
Jacksonville
Steelers
Then Question marks on
Washington
San Diego
Miami
X-Factor - Quality QBs that might be available
Alex Smith (although they would be foolish to get rid of him)
Cousins

All is all this next draft could be entertaining as hell

I'm curious why nobody has the Colts on this list.
Andrew Luck was a QB that had a great arm and made bad decisions,
now he is a QB with a bad arm who makes bad decisions......

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are in much better shape salary cap wise versus Washington. Funny thing about Cousins - he is playing just good enough to be intriguing, but I have a hard time seeing him being worth $30 million a year.
He probably isn't "worth" that much, but you may have to pay it in order to sign him unless no other teams are in the bidding.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this thread, I was surprised to not see the Bills at the top of this list.

They structured Taylor's contract to make it cap-friendly to release him after this season.

They have 2 1st, 2 2nd, and 2 3rd round picks in next year's draft. If they want to bundle picks to move up, they should be able to do that.

Peterman was taken in the 5th round. All he's proven so far is that he's good enough to beat out Yates for a roster spot, and good enough to look like a capable QB in a preseason game against the other teams backups.

Taylor has demonstrated over time that he doesn't have the consistency to take the Bills to the next level. The game yesterday was a typical example. He had several bad throws at critical points in the game, contributing to the Bills coming up short.

I expect Taylor to be released after the season, and the Bills to take a QB in round 1 or at the latest round 2.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit clumsy in how I said it. It take a few years to figure out if a guy you draft "today" is a legit franchise QB or not. If not, you've likely spent that top pick and then went through at a minimum of 2 and most likely 3+ seasons of losing along the way. Now you're still a bad team, still need a QB, and right back to where you were 3 years ago. Most teams burn through at least a couple top picks on QBs to find 1 who is good.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He probably isn't "worth" that much, but you may have to pay it in order to sign him unless no other teams are in the bidding.

With their next contract I wish that the NFL would take one of the suggested approaches where one player (usually a QB) is completely excluded from the salary cap. It would then still be an actually money issue for the owner but would not impact the team's cap.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was a bit clumsy in how I said it. It take a few years to figure out if a guy you draft "today" is a legit franchise QB or not. If not, you've likely spent that top pick and then went through at a minimum of 2 and most likely 3+ seasons of losing along the way. Now you're still a bad team, still need a QB, and right back to where you were 3 years ago. Most teams burn through at least a couple top picks on QBs to find 1 who is good.

That makes more sense. However, the fact that SF has one of, if not the premiere offensive mind running the show, is something that cannot be discounted. Shanahan can help shape an average QB into a good one and a good one into a great one because of the head start he has on that side of the ball. It's certainly an advantage over just a hope and a prayer of finding the next Brady.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes more sense. However, the fact that SF has one of, if not the premiere offensive mind running the show, is something that cannot be discounted. Shanahan can help shape an average QB into a good one and a good one into a great one because of the head start he has on that side of the ball. It's certainly an advantage over just a hope and a prayer of finding the next Brady.
Fair point. It certainly does help to have the right guys in charge. If both Alex Smith and Kirk Cousins are available after this year, it will be a fun off-season.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
Redskins
Giants

They all already know they can't hang with Wentz.