• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lionstop1's official mock and draft-day discussion.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to my 2014 NFL mock draft. I've made a few last minute changes but here it is. Most of you know where I stand so there's no need to explain. I've also included a few things about the Lions to finish this off. Lets have some fun and crucify my thoughts if you wish.

Enjoy.

1. Atlanta- Jadaveon Clowney, DE South Carolina/ Atlanta moves up five spots just as what has been rumored around the league. They give up this year's 2nd and next year's 1st.

2. St. Louis- Greg Robinson,* OT Auburn/ I had Manziel pegged in here up until a few last minute changes. If the Rams are sticking with Bradford, they need to protect him so they take Robinson. I do believe there is genuine interest in Manziel and they may come back up from 13.

3. Detroit- Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson/ There was no smokescreen and the Lions swing a deal with Jacksonville. Detroit has their pick between Watkins and Mack and take Watkins. Lions give up a 3rd, 4th and next year's 1st to Jacksonville who moves down to 10.

4. Cleveland- Johnny Manziel,* QB Texas A&M/ Cleveland wont pass on this guy because he brings a attitude that the team needs. With another pick later, they gamble here.

5. Buffalo- Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M/ Late news of Buffalo wanting to move up and a statement from Evans himself made me throw this move in. Oakland would've took him but they need a lot of help so they move down.

Note: Watkins goes #3 regardless and teams will line up for Evans afterwards.*

6. Houston- Kahlil Mack, OLB Buffalo/ The Texans get lucky as hell but I find #6 to be right around the spot where Mack goes.

7. Tampa Bay- Jake Matthews, OT Texas A&M/Donald would be a nice fit here but Lovie is pleased with the defense coming in. He gets a LT for McCown and will come back with more offense in round two.

8. Minnesota- Blake Bortles, QB UCF/ The Vikings cant afford moving forward without a Qb so they grab Bortles. They like Bridgewater but go another direction.

9. Oakland- Taylor Lewan, OT Michigan/ Turns out to be a nice move by Oakland as they land of the top OTs, plus a couple extra picks from Buffalo.

10. Jacksonville- Teddy Bridgewater,* QB Louisville/ Once they make the deal with Detroit, they feel a lot better about taking Bridgewater and they pull the trigger, realizing the 2nd round might be too late.

Note: Three QBs come off the board in the top 10 along with OTs. Titans next pick becomes the hot spot for Beckham and Donald.

11. Jets (Trade up)- Eric Ebron, TE UNC/ I'll buy into the rumors that the Jets want to move up, but I'll go with Ebron as the target. The Jets could still find a quality WR later in the draft. Dennard is also a attractive option here, as he fits a Ryan defense.

12. Giants - Aaron Donald, DT Pitt/ Giants take a hard look at Dennard but they need to rebuild the d-line so they go with Donald.

13. St. Louis- Darqeneze Dennard, CB Mish St./ Dennard is a ideal CB for Fishers offense and they cant be happier. Zack Martin is also a real possibility here.

14. Chicago- Justin Gilbert, CB OSU/ Though I have him rated higher than Dennard, I go with best fits. Bears love players that create turnovers.

15. Pittsburgh- Odell Beckham Jr. WR LSU/ Although Barr seems like the perfect fit here, Pittsburg needs some help at WR. Beckham has shot up the draft boards and should provide some energy to the offense.

Note: Rams may slide down from 13 to aquire more picks. If they do, it wont be outside the top 20. These last five picks feel like the "best fits" to me in the first round.

16. Dallas- Anthony Barr, OLB UCLA/ Dallas chooses to stay put and ends up with Barr. He was the next option once Donald came off the board.

17. Baltimore- Ha Ha Clinton Dix, S Alabama/ Seems like a real possibility and a great fit that fills a need.

18. Tennessee- Derek Carr, QB Fresno St/ Locker's days are over and the Titans draft their new guy in Carr. They make the move realizing Arizona waits around.

19. Miami- Zack Martin, OT ND/ Miami decides to wait it out and it pays off as they grab Martin.

20. Arizona- Kyle Fuller, CB Vtech/ Arizona cant resist adding Fuller to the defense a defense that already has some playmakers in the secondary.

Note: Barr, Dix and Martin dont get drafted as highas some pundits believe.

21. Green Bay- CJ Mosley, LB Alabama/ Packers could easily take Lee or Cooks here to give Rodgers more weapons but they go with Mosley.

22. Philadelphia- Marquis Lee, WR USC/ Cooks is a very attractive option for the offense but Kelly takes the guy he's familiar with in Lee.

23. Kansas City- Brandon Cooks, WR Oregon St./ Kansas City needs another reciever ro come in and makes some plays so they go with Cooks. Reed would've perfered a guy like Beckham and may even consider Latimer here.

24. Cincinnati- Bradley Roby, CB Ohio St/ The Bengals could go several directions but they decide to go with CB because Hall is off a injury.

25. San Diego- Jason Verrett, CB TCU/ Facing Denver twice a year, the Chargers have to invest in the best CB available.

26. Cleveland- Calvin Pryor, S Louisville/ They lost a good one in Ward and they get his replacement.*

27. New Orleans- Kony Ealy, DE Missouri/ N.O is tempted by the Wrs but they need pass rushers badly.

28. Carolina- Kelvin Benjamin, WR Florida St/ Major need.

29. New England- Ra'Shede Hageman, DT Minnesota/ New England could easily go with another WR or TE but they want have a tough defense in 2014. Hageman adds another big body up front.

30. San Francisco- Cody Latimer, WR Indiana/Trade up with Minnesota/ San Francisco wants to move up to grab a reciever but they need to get to eight if Tampa passes. If they dont trade, Latimer should be a solid pick.

31. Denver- Xavier Su'a-Filo, OT UCLA/ Denver would love to add to the defense but they decide to give Manning more protection.

32. Seattle- Louis Nix, DT Notre Dame/ Seattle continues to beef up the defense with Nix.*

Here's my full report of where I think the Detroit Lions stands as far as the draft and what they want to do:

How I see the team:
For starters, I dont see the offense to be as good as most think. I also see defense that isnt as bad as most think. Both sides could still use some impact guys in certain areas. My thoughts in particular? WR and CB. Lombardi was the best addition to the offense this off-season with Austin as the same for the defense.

Basically, that means I see the biggest difference in whether the team can win or not is the coaching. I expect things to change. I expect a few young players to emerge and I believe the new coaches have already decided to give them the opportunity to do so.

Matthew Stafford will rebound.* Without help at WR, the Lions will face problems. With help, they will survive without CJ. The O-line maintains their play from last year as well as Bush and Bell. LeShoure and Riddick should add an interesting dynamic.

The d-line will be good. How good? Who knows! Lions find a pass-rushing backer and another body at CB to compete. Greenwood, Slay, Bentley and the crew will hold up given their health.

The draft plan:
Lions have two targets in the top ten they want to move up for. Plan A is to move up for Watkins. Plan B is to move up a few spots (to #5) for Evans, who could very well be the main target. If the Lions stay at ten, the pick will be either Ebron, Gilbert or Lewan in that order. Lions are high on Ebron. They would be happy with Gilbert over Dennard and Lewan acts as a sleeper here. Clinton-Dix is the least likely to be selected at 10 for the Lions.

If they trade down, its definitely for Clinton Dix or Kyle Fuller. I think they like Roby also. If they keep all of their picks, expect any one of Van Noy, Attoachu, or Anderson (Boise St.) to be the pick in round 2 if there isnt a surprise safety or corner available. Latimer is on their radar in the second, along with Richardson. In the third, expect names like McGill, Desir, Martin (C) or Seferian-Jenkins to be the pick. In the fourth, the Lions look for Webster, Archer, a kicker and Mettenburger.

If the Lions trade up for Watkins, they lose* a second, fourth and possibly a second next year. The third round pick now becomes a OLB, CB or S with no question.* The two* fourth remainig, go to defense. If they trade up for Evans, they lose a 3rd and a 4th and hang on to their 2nd. They would have to get to five.

By the time the draft is over, I predict a B for their overall draft grade.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid effort Yao. I like your work my friend. Go Lions!!!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionstop, your dream scenario is my biggest nightmare. But if your scenario plays out, I'll be the biggest Sammy Watkins fan there is. I will hope for the best.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell hope this doesn't turn out - we need a hell of a lot more than another WR, a second-rounder, and two picks at the bottom of the fourth to fill the gaping holes in the team's lineup. Worse, we give up next year's first too. I don't think the trade price is crazy, but I think for the Lions it's too much for a luxury pick. Paying this much for a third WR says that the team is going to try and trade CJ, not Suh, to get the cap healthy.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They keep saying the Lions want to move up, so I had to put it in there. Its realistic.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since this is a draft day discussion, I'm wondering how Eviler is preparing for the Cartoon Capers about to unfold.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Detroit- Sammy Watkins, WR Clemson/ There was no smokescreen and the Lions swing a deal with Jacksonville. Detroit has their pick between Watkins and Mack and take Watkins. Lions give up a 3rd, 4th and next year's 1st to Jacksonville who moves down to 10.

I may need to start drinking before the draft to prepare myself for something like this. If they trade up to #3 and pass on Mack for a WR, I'm going to be very disappointed.

As was stated earlier -- I will still cheer on Watkins, but I would not be happy with the front office. I will also be convinced Matt Millen still has a say so for Detroit draft picks.:laugh3:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sides could still use some impact guys in certain areas.

Where is Detroit lacking impact players on offense? You mentioned it as plural, so I'm interested to see your thought process on this.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Clowney, 3 OTs, Watkins, Mack are off the board. I think two QBs go as well. That's 8 picks. Donald and Evans are still there. I would rather have Donald, but I'd be okay with Evans at 10.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. St. Louis- Greg Robinson,* OT Auburn/ I had Manziel pegged in here up until a few last minute changes. If the Rams are sticking with Bradford, they need to protect him so they take Robinson. I do believe there is genuine interest in Manziel and they may come back up from 13.

we would take him to help with the run game, not for pass protection. pass protection is his weakness.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense does have impact guys but they have some spots where they can upgrade with an "impact" guy. They could fo WR, TE or OT. There is still work to be done on that side of the ball on too, imo.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr Eviler is probably preparing to get high as a kite.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not as if I'm making this stuff up with the Lions interest in the WRs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any of you that are in favor of trading down, there is a good chance that may happen. The media is making it sound like tons of teams are fighting to move up.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say Clowney, 3 OTs, Watkins, Mack are off the board. I think two QBs go as well. That's 8 picks. Donald and Evans are still there. I would rather have Donald, but I'd be okay with Evans at 10.

I really want defense in a bad fucking way. Although I will not have a issue if Evans falls to 10 and they took him. Unbelievable value there. OLB in 2nd/ C in 3rd and defense rest of way with a OL depth pick sprinkled on top... I could live with that.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A job well done LionStop1. A tremendous amount of time, thought process was spent on all.

I'm not for a trade up to acquire a WR, however, maybe the coaching staff thinks they can fix the secondary with the players they have easier than by drafting another CB who would most likely struggle this year as is the norm for them. Hence the WR. No more 20 scoreless quarters. A potentially NFL record breaking offense versus hoping players on defense drafted this year make an impact. It's rare to have success with a player like Ansah who only played football for two years and to get quality play from D. Taylor too. We have to admit the D-Line, Tulloch, Levy and Quin are not considered question marks regarding their play even with some inconsistencies in the past from Levy and Fairley. It's just my thoughts on the possibility of how the coaching staff may be thinking.

GOOD LUCK TONIGHT ON YOUR FINAL EXAM.....

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any of you that are in favor of trading down, there is a good chance that may happen. The media is making it sound like tons of teams are fighting to move up.

The Lions are sitting in a good spot at 10. It will all depend on who is available. Need either QB's or OT to fall there IMO. With 4 CB and 2-3 S available don't see them being coveted so much.

I feel this will be a record breaking year for trades in first 2 rounds.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced that Centers Marcus Martin or Weston Richburg will be available in the 3rd round at all. I counted 14 teams needing Centers this year and four (Jax, Chi, Cincy and NYG) that are in our situation. Teams that have a need for a C; Jax, Atl, Det, Ten, NYG, Chi, Bal, AZ, GB, Cin, SD, NE, SF, Was.... This is why I'd actually be in favor of trading to #30 with SF. We grab that C at #45 and beat everyone to the punch. JMO

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want defense in a bad fucking way. Although I will not have a issue if Evans falls to 10 and they took him. Unbelievable value there. OLB in 2nd/ C in 3rd and defense rest of way with a OL depth pick sprinkled on top... I could live with that.

Evans aint falling that far.