• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 30 QBs for dynasty leagues

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to choosing quarterbacks for my dynasty leagues, I tend to go with proven commodities. I'm not as concerned with age as I am at other positions because it's important that each year I have a QB I trust can get me fantasy points, even if his long-term outlook isn't as bright as a higher risk, younger QB. Additionally, I don't love taking rookie quarterbacks because of how often they become total busts. Often I'm more concerned with having a solid fantasy points-getter and freeing myself up to use assets on outstanding running back, wide receiver and tight end groups.

So as I run through my top 30 rankings for dynasty-league QBs, you might see some of that philosophy factoring in, but that doesn't mean I'm ignoring age or upside altogether (just check out No. 2 on this list). It's a balancing act, and to be sure, there are some tempting young, high-upside options to take a flier on in the back half of these rankings.

Here are the top 30 fantasy quarterbacks for dynasty leagues, with in-depth write-ups on the top 15.

1. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

What's not to like about Rodgers? He's in the prime of an outstanding career. Personally, I believe he's the best football player in the league. And while the Packers run a little more these days than they used to -- handing off to Eddie Lacy at an increasing pace -- they drafted three wide receivers in May, so their commitment to the passing game -- and their passing game itself -- should remain strong. Armed with a ton of weapons, the Packers will likely continue to run plenty of three-wide receiver sets. Add in Rodgers' ability to run and the potential for a handful of rushing touchdowns, and there are very few weaknesses in his fantasy game. He is a superstar and an all-time great who should remain a monster fantasy producer for years to come.

2. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts

Expectations for Luck have been and remain tremendously high. It's time, I believe, for the former No. 1 pick to truly harness his talent and garner respect as an elite NFL quarterback. Indy's offensive line should be improved in 2014, and Luck now has a deep stable of pass-catchers at his disposal. Also, it helps that a potentially weak defense could catapult the Colts into some shootouts. (In case you've forgotten: The final score of the latest Wild Card matchup against the Chiefs was 45-44.) Also, much like Rodgers, Luck is an efficient runner and should continue to supplement his fantasy point total with his legs. Judging by the moves GM Ryan Grigson has made since drafting Luck, it seems safe to say the Colts will make it a priority to surround Luck with weapons going forward.

3. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

The Lions throw a ton, and that shouldn't change much with Joe Lombardi -- previously the Saints QB coach -- taking over as Detroit's offensive coordinator. While Stafford's mechanics still need work, he is the long-term starter for the Lions and pumps out passing yardage and touchdowns despite his shortcomings. In the offseason, Detroit added Golden Tate in free agency and drafted former North Carolina TE Eric Ebron in the first round, which takes some of the burden off the great Calvin Johnson and lends Stafford a few extra hands in the process. A stat-producing machine already, Stafford now has the diverse weaponry he needs and is only a year and a half older than Luck.

4. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers

Reliant on his legs for fantasy points and coming off ankle surgery, Newton could be due for a down season. Still, we are talking about dynasty here, not redraft, and so for Newton -- one of the league's youngest, most dynamic passing threats -- the ranking remains appropriately lofty. With Steve Smith now in Baltimore, Newton's receiving corps will likely be one of the league's worst. Still, Newton has never had much in the way of top-notch receiving options, and while the Panthers' offensive line isn't that much better than their receiving corps, it wasn't all that great last year -- when Newton scored 30 total touchdowns. His long-term prognosis remains very strong.

5. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Brees has been among the best fantasy quarterbacks for quite a while now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. At 35, Brees certainly isn't a young man, but he looks to have several high-quality seasons ahead of him and hasn't battled too many injuries. Few have put up stats like Brees' in the history of this league. Although Lance Moore and Darren Sproles are gone and Marques Colston could be on the back nine of his career, Brandin Cooks is an enticing option, and Kenny Stills was impressive as a rookie. To (re)state the obvious: Getting Jimmy Graham locked up for the long term would be highly beneficial for Brees' dynasty stock and long-term outlook. You know what you get with Brees -- and it is fantasy gold. It's just a matter of how long it is before that gold loses its shimmer. Depending on the makeup of your team, Brees could belong higher or lower on this list.

6. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

Wilson is extremely advanced for his age and, of course, is a great runner as well as passer. I contend that he is only getting better. It might be difficult to envision now, but as Wilson further matures and Marshawn Lynch fades into the sunset, the Seahawks could become a more pass-happy offense. Also, take notice that Seattle drafted two prominent wide receivers and now have a pretty impressive stable of young receiving options. Wilson has scored 57 touchdowns over his two-year career. What if Seattle opens things up just a little? Judging by their offseason wide receiver moves, I think such a development might not be too far away.

7. Robert Griffin, Washington Redskins

Griffin wasn't himself last year. I blame the injuries more than anything, but of course, his durability and volatility are certainly areas of concern. His abilities, though, remain extremely fantasy-friendly. The Redskins have somewhat upgraded their offensive line while greatly upgrading the receivers Griffin has to throw to. The main question: How big an effect does Jay Gruden have on Griffin? I am on the fence. In any event, I do expect to see the special blend of athlete and passer we've seen in the past return sometime soon. Griffin is a high-risk option, but the reward could be astronomical. When it comes to Dynasty, I love to gamble on rare talents, which is why I am so high on Griffin. Of course, much like his coaches, I would like to see him learn to protect his body better, as injuries remain a major concern here and could potentially derail his fantasy value -- dynasty or otherwise.

8. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

This offseason, the 49ers showed they were committed to improving their receiving corps. Kaepernick had very little at his disposal after losing his favorite target, Michael Crabtree, in 2013. Kaepernick could be poised for a huge season, and San Francisco's offensive line should remain among the league's best for the foreseeable future. Few can accumulate fantasy points with their legs like Kaepernick can, and I fully expect him to continue to progress as a pocket passer. The sky is truly the limit here when looking at the big picture. Kaepernick versus Griffin is close to a coin flip to me, but I expect the Redskins to be in many more situations in which they are forced to throw late in games, as opposed to San Francisco's presumed game script situation.

9. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

Julio Jones returns, and you have to think that Roddy White will be healthier in the coming season than the past one. Even though the loss of Tony Gonzalez will be difficult, especially in the red zone, the Falcons' running backs are quality options in the passing game. The addition of Jake Matthews should go a long way toward keeping Ryan upright for years to come and extending the vertical passing game, a huge problem area in 2013. Ryan offers little as a runner and might never be among the fantasy elite, but he is a very stable option. It also wouldn't be a huge surprise if the Falcons used a premium draft pick on a pass-catcher in the 2015 draft.

10. Nick Foles, Philadelphia Eagles

I am not convinced that Foles' interception totals will remain as low as they were in his partial season as a starter, but he leads a fast-paced offense that runs an awful lot of plays and has a multitude of weapons. Plus, Foles should be noticeably more comfortable in Chip Kelly's scheme now than in his first season as the former Oregon coach's starter. Foles threw 27 touchdowns last year on a mere 317 passing attempts. What happens when he attempts more than 500 passes this season? A word of caution, though: Of all the quarterbacks I've ranked thus far, Foles likely has the least job security. Color me just a slight bit skeptical, but if Foles has a full season posting monster stats, he will skyrocket up my board.

11. Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
12. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
13. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
14. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
15. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
16. Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins
17. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers
18. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals
19. Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns
20. Teddy Bridgewater, Minnesota Vikings
21. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens
22. Eli Manning, New York Giants
23. Josh McCown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24. Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals
25. Jake Locker, Tennessee Titans
26. Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
27. EJ Manuel, Buffalo Bills
28. Blake Bortles, Jacksonville Jaguars
29. Alex Smith, Kansas City Chiefs
30. Michael Vick, New York Jets

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers leads ranking of top QBs for dynasty leagues - Fantasy Football - Fantasy Football - ESPN