• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SI: Bird better than Lebron

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats are very similar....

LeBron has a slight edge everywhere except in rebounding.

As for shooting, Bird was a slightly better 3-pt shooter then LeBron but was also much more selective (Bird averaged < 2 attempts per game, LeBron averaging > 4).

LeBron actually has pretty decisive edges when it comes to advanced stats, PER, true shooting%, effective fg%, win shares, etc.

For every young NBA fan naively dismissing Bird... there is an old NBA fan whose nostalgia is inflating Bird's status.
The stats are a little misleading in that the dont account for eras played in and level of competition. A good example of this is how much better Lebron got over his career while still being 'Lebron'.

Prime Lebron is arguably the best player ever in a vacuum.

Bird's game is from a different era where people were actually physical. Lebron's game wouldn't work in Bird's era because he would get hard fouled (see: what Chicago does) every time he drove and eventually he would've stopped driving. Lebron's defense, on the other hand, would've been ridiculous in the handcheck era.

Bird also didn't join Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson. Lebron joining Wade immediately raises questions.

Bird is currently ahead of Lebron but Lebron's career will eventually be too hard to ignore. Lebron is in the same boat as Kobe, imo. He can't be one of the Legends but he'll have monster accolades.

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats are a little misleading in that the dont account for eras played in and level of competition. A good example of this is how much better Lebron got over his career while still being 'Lebron'.

Bird's game is from a different era where people were actually physical. Lebron's game wouldn't work in Bird's era because he would get hard fouled (see: what Chicago does) every time he drove and eventually he would've stopped driving.

Bird also didn't join Isiah Thomas or Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson. Lebron joining Wade immediately raises questions.

Bird is currently ahead of Lebron but Lebron's career will eventually be too hard to ignore. Lebron is in the same boat as Kobe, imo. He can't be one of the Legends but he'll have monster accolades.

The Birdman did battle with The Bad Boyz.

/end of thread

Can you even IMAGINE the flopping? :L

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,069.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can they compare bird and james. they play the game differently in my opinion. James likes to take it to the hole and dunk the ball. and bird was more of a shooter from the outside or shoot jump shots

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how can they compare bird and james. they play the game differently in my opinion. James likes to take it to the hole and dunk the ball. and bird was more of a shooter from the outside or shoot jump shots

Really, because I see him settle for 18' jumpshots all the time. One things for sure, he wouldn't be roaming the lane against James Edwards, Rick Mahorn and Bill Laimbeer.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bird's game is from a different era where people were actually physical. Lebron's game wouldn't work in Bird's era because he would get hard fouled (see: what Chicago does) every time he drove and eventually he would've stopped driving. Lebron's defense, on the other hand, would've been ridiculous in the handcheck era.

How so?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great mid range jump shot, great fast break, above average passer, above average defender, good perimeter shooter, they won a ton of games in a row and a championship playing defense on Tony Parker who was one of the top 4 or 5 players in the NBA that year. Considering how little the perimeter game mattered in previous eras, its hard to argue with how Lebron stacks up during his prime.

I actually think last year might have been the start of a new era where 3pt shots and deep lineups are the way to go. The Euro Step is a great equalizer.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2074188.0_standard_730.0.jpg

"Try it again, bitch." - James Edwards after 'Bronbron's first flop

Keeping it Ghetto

Back in my day......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If was going to make a list of the all time best players including Lebron

1. Larry Bird
2. Bill Russell
3. Magic Johnson
4. Kareem Abdul Jabaar
5. Michael Jordan
6. Jerry West
7. Isaiah Thomas
8. Scottie Pippen
9. Shaq Oneal
10. Kobe Bryant
11. Elgin Baylor
12. Lebron James(mabe because I think Im forgetting a few)

Truthfully I think Lebron really belongs at about #19. He's a good player, but he's just not the best ever and in the top 5. He just isn't

No Tim Duncan......Like they say everyone has an opinion.....and yours sucks!:clap:

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I farted twice reading this thread LOL. Doobs and hammer hilarious.

Keeping it Ghetto

Back in my day......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Bird and Lebron is like comparing Bill Russell and Shaq....Yeah they played center but their games were different and they played in different eras.....you just cant do it...

Keeping it Ghetto

Back in my day......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scottie Pippen but no Big Fundamental or Mailman. :L

Dont get me wrong either....Scottie is probably my second favorite player of all time but he isnt in the top 10 or hell even top 20....21-30 range i could see.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mahorn_300_140325.jpg

How many players flopped on this guy?

MrHoople

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just assumed everyone knew that Larry Bird was better than Lebron is now. Lebron would be crying when the game gets physical. Lebron has a good game, but Bird never gave up in the fourth quarter. Lebron by today's standards is in the top 15 to 20 players, but he is no Larry Bird.

Totally agree. Lebron is a great player but he's not on Bird's level when the game is on the line. Bird's shooting set him apart.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tumblr_lorbi57NI31qe7q53o1_500.jpg

Why didn't guys flop during the Bird era? :noidea: