• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks 2020 Draft thread!

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LB next to Helsop, he's a CB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may have an overdose OL right now, but I think Chicago has 10 TEs!

I think the Seahawks want to maximize their chances of having an effective and deep OL. We haven't had one of those since about 2006.

Obviously we won't have 20 OL on the opening day roster. Guys like Roos or Simmons are going to need to really step up to have a chance of making the roster.

I really don't mind this approach. They are doing something similar at DE, which I'm less excited about.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with 20 olineman flyer they better find 5 that make a good line because if they don't ... well thats a lot of bodies to go through to not find 5 average starting quality players from lol. i don't need probowlers or all pros i just need average lol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with 20 olineman flyer they better find 5 that make a good line because if they don't ... well thats a lot of bodies to go through to not find 5 average starting quality players from lol. i don't need probowlers or all pros i just need average lol.

Well it's more like 10-12 players. The point is you need a capable backup that isn't a nightmare as well. That's where we've had problems in the past. One starter goes down and the replacement is completely clueless.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hunter bryant went undrafted?
There is legit durability concerns with Bryant and Adams. Adams has back issues, I believe a herniated disk, possibly multiple ones. He was back and productive in 2019, but many NFL scouts and evaluators aren't sure if he'll be able to handle the NFL game for long.

With Bryant, he had a serious knee issue around his ACL, but they made the call to not have surgery and see if it healed up on it's own. It did and he played ok in 2019, but there is a lot of concern it's now a ticking time bomb.

Many of them will still be invited to teams camps as UDFAs, but they're going to have to work extremely hard to make NFL rosters.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it's more like 10-12 players. The point is you need a capable backup that isn't a nightmare as well. That's where we've had problems in the past. One starter goes down and the replacement is completely clueless.

Ok i think i need to say this because you keep bringing up "it's not 20 " i KNOW they wont keep 20 Olineman DUH! lol but the fact of the matter is they have TWENTY on the TEAM right now and have to pick 3-4 starters from that group ( not counting Britt/Brown ) That shouldn't be to hard. If they can not field a competent oline from 20 players then the issue is once again not the players but the people coaching them. The spread offense in college has KILLED oline development.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching all the player highlights, all the draft day pressers, and all the player interviews, here are my final short takeaways on all the picks:
  • LB Jordyn Brooks. plays tough inside, is a good enough athlete to play all 3 positions, shows great instincts...the Aaron Curry we never had? Unless he just can't play, he's a near certainty to inherit a starting job no later than next year.
  • DE Darrell Taylor. looks like he has the size and athleticism to be a quality pass rusher, not sure about playing the run. unlikely to be in consideration to start at DE right away but should get plenty of snaps in the rotation. critical to make this pick in the event we don't sign Clowney. even if we do, pass rush was the top weakness.
  • G Damien Lewis. similar style of play as DJ Fluker -- tough run blocker but not as good in pass pro. plays nasty, may be one of those "dirtbags" that Jim Mora infamously advocated for many years ago. already mentioned by PC as the eventual RG.
  • TE Colby Parkinson. from highlights, has great hands and above avg speed. reminds me of a Kyle Rudolph type player. blocking ability is unknown, but PC said they think he has the ability to do that. good insurance policy against injury to either Olsen or Dissly. might be a red zone factor right away.
  • RB DeeJay Dallas. unusually late in the draft for JS/PC to take their first RB/WR. not incredibly fast or big but highlights show him breaking lots of arm tackles and having a better than avg open field gear. opportunity as a rookie is probably injury/health related.
  • DE Alton Robinson. more productive in '18 than '19, lost an opportunity at aTm due to an issue with his ex-g/f that he describes as "immature, embarrassing." athletic ability is definitely there for this to be a high payoff pick.
  • WR Freddie Swain. is a little bigger than I thought (6'/197) and times in the 4.4x range. seems to be "good" at nearly everything but maybe exceptional at nothing. unsure if he makes sense to keep both him and Ursua, but value as a returner could give him the edge.
  • TE/WR Stephen Sullivan. really interesting personal story with this guy - has overcome an incredible amount of adversity. could have that "grit" that PC is always talking about. definitely has a catching frame that is uncommon at WR. athleticism is there but skills are raw from limited use at LSU.
Pretty satisfied overall. No major bones to pick. People who wanted to come out of this with a week 1 starter are going to be disappointed, but this team just doesn't have many holes in the starting units. We'll have a new starting RT, but it's not going to be a rookie (somewhat of a relief). Early focus was on improving the defense, which makes a lot of sense. I'm also glad we didn't see a flurry of trades down to end up with 10 picks because this shortened timeline to prep for the regular season doesn't represent a great opportunity to prepare rookies, and I believe we were already the 4th youngest team in the league last year. History says about half of these guys won't amount to much, but from here all we do is root them on and hope for the best.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We addressed some needs, definitely have some good defensive prospects, now if we can somehow resign Clowney, that would be great...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayden Winks from Rotoworld gives us an F. I love it.

"Seattle unsurprisingly overdrafted prospects early and focused on the run game while the rest of the league modernizes with efficient passing attacks… Brooks is a 78th athlete (4.54 forty) and uber-productive in college (108 tackles), but his iffy agility made him a liability in pass coverage. For a first-round linebacker, I’d want a plus pass defender, not a run-stuffer. Making matters worse, LSU LB Patrick Queen was still on the board… The Seahawks sent a horrible trade offer to move up for Taylor, who reportedly kicked a teammate in the face during a fight. On the field, Taylor was moderately productive (8.5 sacks) but is already 23 years old and didn’t participate in the pre-draft process due to injury. That’s a very sketchy use of a mid-second round pick… Lewis is a complete mauler in the run game and fits the Seahawks’ culture, but he’s an average athlete and allowed four sacks last season at LSU. He’s much better run-blocking… Parkinson is an underrated pass-catching tight end (6-foot-7 and productive at Stanford), but the Seahawks have one million tight ends on the roster already. With that said, I’d burn late-round dynasty picks on Parkinson if I was in need of a tight end sleeper. He could be a starter in a couple of seasons… Dallas ran the forty in 4.58 seconds and has never handled 115 carries. He’s a forgettable running back prospect. He’s insurance to Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny… Robinson is a 65th percentile athlete and fills a position of need with Jadeveon Clowney still on the market. "

NFL Draft Grades: 2020 NFL Draft Grades: NFC - Fantasy Columns

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hayden Winks from Rotoworld gives us an F. I love it.

"Seattle unsurprisingly overdrafted prospects early and focused on the run game while the rest of the league modernizes with efficient passing attacks… Brooks is a 78th athlete (4.54 forty) and uber-productive in college (108 tackles), but his iffy agility made him a liability in pass coverage. For a first-round linebacker, I’d want a plus pass defender, not a run-stuffer. Making matters worse, LSU LB Patrick Queen was still on the board… The Seahawks sent a horrible trade offer to move up for Taylor, who reportedly kicked a teammate in the face during a fight. On the field, Taylor was moderately productive (8.5 sacks) but is already 23 years old and didn’t participate in the pre-draft process due to injury. That’s a very sketchy use of a mid-second round pick… Lewis is a complete mauler in the run game and fits the Seahawks’ culture, but he’s an average athlete and allowed four sacks last season at LSU. He’s much better run-blocking… Parkinson is an underrated pass-catching tight end (6-foot-7 and productive at Stanford), but the Seahawks have one million tight ends on the roster already. With that said, I’d burn late-round dynasty picks on Parkinson if I was in need of a tight end sleeper. He could be a starter in a couple of seasons… Dallas ran the forty in 4.58 seconds and has never handled 115 carries. He’s a forgettable running back prospect. He’s insurance to Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny… Robinson is a 65th percentile athlete and fills a position of need with Jadeveon Clowney still on the market. "

NFL Draft Grades: 2020 NFL Draft Grades: NFC - Fantasy Columns

That is great news... I remember our draft in 2012 was a D-

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great video from Sam Gold on Jordyn Brooks...

If you were a little skeptical of Brooks I highly recommend watching the video.

To sum up what he said though, he believes that the Seahawks drafted Brooks primarily because of 2018 play and not his 2019 play. In 2018 he primarily played WLB and was responsible for a lot of man cover responsibility and he did it well. He was moved to the middle because their previous MLB graduated and a new coaching regime wanted Brooks' leadership and tackling in the middle of the field.

One pretty impressive stat. On 117 pass plays where Brooks rushed the passer, Brooks had 44 pressures. That is a pretty insane pressure rate.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To sum up what he said though, he believes that the Seahawks drafted Brooks primarily because of 2018 play and not his 2019 play. In 2018 he primarily played WLB and was responsible for a lot of man cover responsibility and he did it well. He was moved to the middle because their previous MLB graduated and a new coaching regime wanted Brooks' leadership and tackling in the middle of the field.

One pretty impressive stat. On 117 pass plays where Brooks rushed the passer, Brooks had 44 pressures. That is a pretty insane pressure rate.

Very nice breakdown, explanation of the two different roles/years he played in the offense... Also, this info makes you understand more why he was moved to Mike LB in 2019...

And yes, a 3rd of all his blitzes resulting in QB pressures is insane... Show's he has great instincts...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's pretty cool. I don't think the '19 tape hurt him though. It's very impressive. It just doesn't showcase his overall ability to cover.

Here are all the LBs drafted in the JS/PC era [Name (round picked)]:
  • 2020: Jordyn Brooks (1)
  • 2019: Cody Barton (3), Ben Burr-Kirven (5)
  • 2018: Shaquem Griffin (5)
  • 2014: Kevin Pierre-Louis (4)
  • 2012: Bobby Wagner (2), Korey Toomer (5)
  • 2011: KJ Wright (4)
  • 2010: Dexter Davis (7)
The things that jump out at me from that list:
  1. they really haven't drafted many LBs over the years
  2. but there are several hits there, and the batting average in the 4th round or better is excellent (and you could add Bruce Irvin to 2012, and I don't think it makes the list look any worse)
  3. earlier picks are good, but they haven't yet hit on a late round LB the way they have with the DBs (but have also taken far fewer shots at the board at LB)
  4. earliest miss is probably KPL, and he made hay on ST up until the point of the monumentally stupid holding penalty in the playoffs vs ATL that negated a huge PR
Feeling better and better about Brooks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty cool. I don't think the '19 tape hurt him though. It's very impressive. It just doesn't showcase his overall ability to cover.

It doesn't hurt him if you look at his total production. But it did hurt him, according to Sam at least, in that he was asked to do more spot zone coverage and less man coverage and he definitely needs to work on that part of his game. So it is a real criticism, but not necessarily as bad as some might think especially if you consider that he changed positions and didn't really do it as much in previous seasons.

Once I read that he had 20 TFLs last year and 37 QB pressures my whole view on him changed. I started asking how it was possible that he wasn't rated even higher than he was. What same points to make a ton of sense. Scouts, ESPECIALLY media scouts, focused mostly on the most recent season. So they saw a guy who was focused mostly on run support who struggled in zone coverage. PC/JS saw a guy who had the speed and size to cover almost any TE or RB in the league as a WLB who also has good pass rush skills. He will still need to work on spot zone coverage to be effective but that is a really specific skill that can absolutely be taught.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't hurt him if you look at his total production. But it did hurt him, according to Sam at least, in that he was asked to do more spot zone coverage and less man coverage and he definitely needs to work on that part of his game. So it is a real criticism, but not necessarily as bad as some might think especially if you consider that he changed positions and didn't really do it as much in previous seasons.

Once I read that he had 20 TFLs last year and 37 QB pressures my whole view on him changed. I started asking how it was possible that he wasn't rated even higher than he was. What same points to make a ton of sense. Scouts, ESPECIALLY media scouts, focused mostly on the most recent season. So they saw a guy who was focused mostly on run support who struggled in zone coverage. PC/JS saw a guy who had the speed and size to cover almost any TE or RB in the league as a WLB who also has good pass rush skills. He will still need to work on spot zone coverage to be effective but that is a really specific skill that can absolutely be taught.
I poorly stated what was going on in my head.

If all you have is the 2019 tape, then you probably don't think much of Brooks' cover skills. But when including 2018, that gives a better overall picture of what he can do in coverage and should then complete the puzzle on what he looks like as a player. As you say, he can work on his skills in that one particular role. Looks like he should be able to come in right away and chase down ballcarriers though.